PDA

View Full Version : Derek Martin

dave56dj
01-03-2012, 02:16 AM
This will seem like an odd post and probably no one cares but the story of #22 intrigues me and I think its a microcosm of the NFL and its fans.

Early in the year Derek Martin had a rough day on ST with 2 huge penalties in a loss. Most fans on here had him cut ASAP - Coughlin wasnt pleased. The coach took him off the gunner spot, but did not give up on him - and in the final game of the year #22 laid the wood on a kick return by harris in the second quarter - enough to get a couple replays from NBC and special mention by Collinsworth.

Sometimes loyalty is worth it.

GO BLUE.

giantsfan420
01-03-2012, 02:41 AM
This will seem like an odd post and probably no one cares but the story of #22 intrigues me and I think its a microcosm of the NFL and its fans.

Early in the year Derek Martin had a rough day on ST with 2 huge penalties in a loss. Most fans on here had him cut ASAP - Coughlin wasnt pleased. The coach took him off the gunner spot, but did not give up on him - and in the final game of the year #22 laid the wood on a kick return by harris in the second quarter - enough to get a couple replays from NBC and special mention by Collinsworth.

Sometimes loyalty is worth it.

GO BLUE.

+1

Firenugget
01-03-2012, 02:52 AM
I don't agree with knee jerk reactions for good or bad. For instance I don't think he should have been cut for a couple penalties just as I don't think he deserves an honorable mention here like we would be lost without him or something.

He made a big hit and I was happy about it. But maybe next week he costs us dearly with a bone head move, you never know. So there's really no point in saying anyone was wrong about him just yet, let's wait until we're all done before deciding if he helped us or hurt us.

dave56dj
01-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Fire -

I am not saying Martin deserved big praise (it was a nice hit on the 25 thats all) nor am i saying he should have been cut. My point is the NFL and its fans are a what have you done for me two seconds ago league and it would be best if it weren't. Coughlin has always shown the ability to stay even keel - as has Eli and Reese and the Mara's. Its something i appreciate about this organization very much.

PrideofNY
01-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Collinsworth is an idiot.

I know that's not the main point of the topic, but I felt it needed to be said.

dave56dj
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I like collinsworth - but regardless of that all he did in this case was mention a nice hit - had he not mentioned it, it would have been odd.