PDA

View Full Version : Would Giants give Spagnuolo a look as D Coord?

flimflam
01-03-2012, 07:00 AM
He is out in St Louis. I seriously hope the Gianbts give him a look if Spags would take a coord job over a possible HC gig. I seriously wonder if he will gfet any HC offers after his poor showing in ST. Louis.

Spags has to realize that taking the DC job with the Giants would be the fast track to the eventual HC job with TC being 62 or so.

yoeddy
01-03-2012, 08:12 AM
It will all depend on whether or not Fewell gets a HC offer somewhere...

jakegibbs
01-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Yeah and a sucker is born every minute too. Fewell HC Offer??

ha,ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha you're killing me ha ha ha ha ha ha ha please stop ha ha ha ha Head Coach ha ha ha ha ha ha

WORLDCHAMPS
01-03-2012, 08:35 AM
I would LOVE to have Spags back....LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

yoeddy
01-03-2012, 08:53 AM

ha,ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha you're killing me ha ha ha ha ha ha ha please stop ha ha ha ha Head Coach ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yep...so the chances of signing Spags as DC are pretty much zero...

nhpgiantsfan
01-03-2012, 08:59 AM
I would say that us beating the Cowboys and making the playoffs pretty much ended the possibility of Spags coming back here. All we can do now is hope he doesn't go to the Eagles.

SweetZombieJesus
01-03-2012, 09:03 AM

The Rooney Rule helps us a bunch here... Don'tcha love political correctness?

Captain Chaos
01-03-2012, 09:08 AM
With the D starting to click the only way they bring Spags back is if Fewell gets a HC job. That said, If the Giants go deep having worked through all of those injuries, Fewell could get some looks!

Joe Morrison
01-03-2012, 09:15 AM
He is out in St Louis. I seriously hope the Gianbts give him a look if Spags would take a coord job over a possible HC gig. I seriously wonder if he will gfet any HC offers after his poor showing in ST. Louis. Spags has to realize that taking the DC job with the Giants would be the fast track to the eventual HC job with TC being 62 or so.</P>

Spags would have to have a sit down with TC, front office has already said they want TC to go out on his own terms so Spags would need to get the inside track from Tom.</P>

53canton
01-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Hope he dont want to go back to Philly. Why would he pick Philly over NY especially when he won the SB here?

nhpgiantsfan
01-03-2012, 09:27 AM
With the D starting to click the only way they bring Spags back is if Fewell gets a HC job. That said, If the Giants go deep having worked through all of those injuries, Fewell could get some looks!

You are right if they go deep in the playoffs, Fewell will get some looks. Problem is the deeper they go in the playoffs the more likely another team will sign Spags while we are still playing. I'd say it's a safe bet Spags won't be here.

SweetZombieJesus
01-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Hope he dont want to go back to Philly. Why would he pick Philly over NY especially when he won the SB here?

He was there for 8 years and his wife is from Philly. Luckily Andy Reid pissed him off.

hungrrrry
01-03-2012, 09:28 AM
It will all depend on whether or not Fewell gets a HC offer somewhere...No it won't...Fewell's contract is up after this season is officially over. We can hire who we want at that point. Regardless, Fewell can be fired at any time since his schemes have not matched expectations...thus, opening a spot for Spags (hopefully)

Kruunch
01-03-2012, 09:32 AM
The Giants have had their most successful stint in two decades with the TC/Spags combo.

Spags is available.

Our current DC has been mediocre at best and his contract is up this year as well.

It makes the most sense in the world to get Spags back in New York.

So of course, we won't.

yoeddy
01-03-2012, 11:16 AM

The Rooney Rule helps us a bunch here...* Don'tcha love political correctness?

Actually, the Rooney Rule doesn't really help us...rather, it will give a false sense of opportunity to Fewell and delay decisions by the Giants. I seem to remember Fewell getting 2-3 HC interviews last year that resulted in nothing...

yoeddy
01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
It will all depend on whether or not Fewell gets a HC offer somewhere...No it won't...Fewell's contract is up after this season is officially over. We can hire who we want at that point. Regardless, Fewell can be fired at any time since his schemes have not matched expectations...thus, opening a spot for Spags (hopefully)

Yes, but the Giants are loyal, and they will most likely renew Fewell's contract if he doesn't get a HC opportunity elsewhere. A healthy Giants defense was a top 10 defense in 2010, so the owners will give him a hall-pass with all the injuries this season, particularly if they play well next week...

Zaggs
01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
My problem with Fewell is too often the players seem to have no idea what they're supposed to do on defense. I get they might get burned or faked out due to inexperience, fine, that who the Giants have right now. But before the play, there seems to have been alot of confusion.

yoeddy
01-03-2012, 11:23 AM
My problem with Fewell is too often the players seem to have no idea what they're supposed to do on defense.* I get they might get burned or faked out due to inexperience, fine, that who the Giants have right now.* But before the play, there seems to have been alot of confusion.

Before the Jets game, Fewell said that he was going to simplify things...and as a result, it appears that things improved in the last two games...

Zaggs
01-03-2012, 11:35 AM
My problem with Fewell is too often the players seem to have no idea what they're supposed to do on defense. I get they might get burned or faked out due to inexperience, fine, that who the Giants have right now. But before the play, there seems to have been alot of confusion.

Before the Jets game, Fewell said that he was going to simplify things...and as a result, it appears that things improved in the last two games...

That may be it. But it was kinda obvious well before the Jets game. But why did he wait so long?

flimflam
01-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Amazingly Andy Reid is going to be back in Philly. Honestly, that was my only worry about Spags as far as HC gig landing spots. It would hurt to have him coach in Philly.

Out of the vacancies out there, I do not see a fit for him, but I could be wrong.

What would be awesome would be for St louis to hire Perry Fewell as their HC, and have the Giants regain Spags as our DC, and eventual HC. How sick would that be?

Fewell for Spags!

elifan10
01-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Amazingly Andy Reid is going to be back in Philly. Honestly, that was my only worry about Spags as far as HC gig landing spots. It would hurt to have him coach in Philly. Out of the vacancies out there, I do not see a fit for him, but I could be wrong. What would be awesome would be for St louis to hire Perry Fewell as their HC, and have the Giants regain Spags as our DC, and eventual HC. How sick would that be? Fewell for Spags!</P>

I would be the happiest person in the world. Just because Fewell had two games against bad quarterbacks (romo pretty much had a broken hand), doesnt mean he should stay. People forget how bad our defense was this year.</P>

sc_markt
01-03-2012, 11:24 PM
I would LOVE to have Spags back....LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

Same here (unless Fewell has finally figured out how to run a defense.)

horn27
01-03-2012, 11:29 PM
I would love to have him here but if not o well, i just don't want him to go to philly

flimflam
01-04-2012, 02:16 PM
New York Giants Remain a Possible Destination for Steve Spagnuolo? (http://www.giants101.com/2012/01/03/new-york-giants-remain-a-possible-destination-for-steve-spagnuolo/)

http://www.giants101.com/2012/01/03/new-york-giants-remain-a-possible-destination-for-steve-spagnuolo/

New York Giants Remain a Possible Destination for Steve Spagnuolo?
January 3rd, 2012 at 9:00 AM
By Dan Benton
Early last week, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio surprisingly reported that the New York Giants were a candidate to hire Steve Spagnuolo despite rumors of his inevitable return to Philadelphia. Since then, Big Blue has gone on to win the NFC East and reach the playoffs for the first time since 2008, seemingly cementing the jobs of Tom Coughlin, Kevin Gilbride and Perry Fewell.

TERRY SCHMITT/UPI/Fotoglif
Not so fast, says NFL.com's Michael Lombardi.

Lombardi reported on Monday that a return to the Giants remains a possibility for Spagnuolo despite New York's late-season surge.

“Had Andy Reid had Steve Spagnuolo available to him last year when he was searching for a defensive coordinator, that would have been a slam dunk,” Lombardi said. “Many in Philadelphia think Steve Spagnuolo will go back there. … There will be major competition for Steve Spagnuolo.”

That major competition, Lombrdi says, will likely come from the New York Giants, where Spagnuolo is "extremely well-regarded."

Current Giants Defensive Coordinator, Perry Fewell, has faced an endless amount of criticism all season. His defense finished 27th overall in the NFL and 29th against the pass. However, he's also been forced to work with a makeshift secondary that has seen the loss of four quality cornerbacks (not including Prince Amukamara, who missed significant time).

The hope is this lingering story doesn't distract Fewell from the task at hand, which is to fix that defense and make a run at the Super Bowl.

JimC
01-04-2012, 02:21 PM
He is out in St Louis. I seriously hope the Gianbts give him a look if Spags would take a coord job over a possible HC gig. I seriously wonder if he will gfet any HC offers after his poor showing in ST. Louis.

Spags has to realize that taking the DC job with the Giants would be the fast track to the eventual HC job with TC being 62 or so.

Lets say the GMEN win two playoff games. You would replace Fewell? Spags hasn't been a very good head coach in St. Louis...you sure you want him????

TroyArcher
01-04-2012, 02:22 PM
It will all depend on whether or not Fewell gets a HC offer somewhere...</P>

</P>

Are you kidding? He will be lucky to have any job next year. </P>

yoeddy
01-04-2012, 02:24 PM
My problem with Fewell is too often the players seem to have no idea what they're supposed to do on defense.* I get they might get burned or faked out due to inexperience, fine, that who the Giants have right now.* But before the play, there seems to have been alot of confusion.

That may be it.* But it was kinda obvious well before the Jets game.* But why did he wait so long?

Perhaps he was hoping that the players would progress and learn, rather than keep making the same mistakes over and over?

yoeddy
01-04-2012, 02:25 PM
It will all depend on whether or not Fewell gets a HC offer somewhere...</P>

*</P>

Are you kidding?* He will be lucky to have any job next year.* </P>

So you think that the Giants won't renew his contract if he doesn't get a HC offer somewhere?

flimflam
01-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I think the Giants are smart enough to know that analyzing the 16 games and the lackluster performance Fewell displayed are far more compelling than a 2 playoff game sample.

Yes, the defense playing well in the playoffs would definitely help his cause on retaining his job, but to the Giants, it would definitely look like renewing the lease on the Ford (Fewell) when Mazeratti (Spags) is offering a lease at the same price.

nygsb42champs
01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I would love to see him back here. The last thing I want to see is him go back the Philly and help there d.

yoeddy
01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I think the Giants are smart enough to know that analyzing the 16 games and the lackluster performance Fewell displayed are far more compelling than a 2 playoff game sample.

Yes, the defense playing well in the playoffs would definitely help his cause on retaining his job, but to the Giants, it would definitely look like renewing the lease on the Ford (Fewell) when Mazeratti (Spags) is offering a lease at the same price.

What about the 16 games from 2010 when the defense led the league in turnovers and ranked 7th overall in yards allowed?

gmen0820
01-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah if we win the Super Bowl and he is still available.

flimflam
01-04-2012, 10:34 PM

<font size="4">
What about the 16 games from 2010 when the defense led the league in turnovers and ranked 7th overall in yards allowed?

Unfortunately, or fortunately and for better or worse, Fewell's criticisms and coaching "stumbles" of this year seem to outweigh and positives from last year. Hell, it's a what have you done for me lately league anyway?

Cosmetic stats aside, rankings are nice and all, but they can be misleading, especially on defense. The most important barometers of Fewell's coaching are from Wekk 15 and week 16 of last year. We gave up 38 points to the Eagles, and 45 points to the Packers in those weeks respectively.

Those two games with the division title and the playoffs in the balance, and Fewell's lack of adjustments, D play calls, etc were are harbinger of this year and an indicator of his defense's overall performance.

Fewell is a nice and enthusiastic guy. He'll get in guy's faces, and call out the D. Great. Those are nice traits. But he is slow to adjust. Hell, he didn't "simplify" the D until 2 weeks ago; ostensibly it took him 15 weeks to of this year and last year to figure out our guys play better with a simple scheme. He likes turn overs and has that head scratching "bend don't break" D identity. So the opposing team will get some yards, and won't score in his sceme, and we'll force a lot of turnovers. Problem is the opposing team has been scoring on us a lot and we haven't been forcing many turnovers. OUr D is gased a lot and he is far too conservative, and makes adjustments after the time horizon for adjustments has passed.

So basically I have had enough of Fewell, and would cut off my pinkie to have Spags back calling the D for Big Blue next year. Furthermore, with Coughlin's age, the D coordinator, will for all intents and purposes be the next head coach for us.

I will however be pulling for Fewell during the playoffs, of course, and will applaud him if he coaches well. However, it would take a lot to change my mind that Spags would not be an upgrade at D coord over Fewell. I mean, isn't the Front Office obligated to evaluate work performance and upgrade if possible?

Spags had his first foray into head coaching with mixed results. He has been criticized for doing cosmetic changes in St Louis, but I think he learned a lot. Bellicheck, for example wasn't the "mad genius" in Cleveland. So instead of Spags learning to be a HC in the spotlight of NY, he learned the ropes in St Louis. Hence, I think he is a lot more seasoned and knowledgeable now and would make one hell of a HC for us. </font>

bashful
01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Spags is not a head coach and would not under any circumstances get it when TC leaves. It is Cowhers job to turn down, whether you like it or not.

flimflam
01-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Spags is not a head coach and would not under any circumstances get it when TC leaves. It is Cowhers job to turn down, whether you like it or not.

Lol, where is this written in stone? Do they have his contract in a safety deposit box ready to whip out when TC retires? Guess that is why Cowher has a NY address, eh?

Well, guess what? Michael Lombardi of NFL.com stated that <font size="5">Spagnuolo is,quote, "extremely well-regarded" by the Giants' organization.</font>

gmen0820
01-04-2012, 10:52 PM

Lol, where is this written in stone? Do they have his contract in a safety deposit box ready to whip out when TC retires? Guess that is why Cowher has a NY address, eh?

Well, guess what? Michael Lombardi of NFL.com stated that <font size="5">Spagnuolo is,quote, "extremely well-regarded" by the Giants' organization.</font>We also would not get rid of Fewell if we make any sort of run and it is highly unlikely we'd get rid of him if we lost this Sunday.

yoeddy
01-05-2012, 08:33 AM

<font size="4">

Unfortunately, or fortunately and for better or worse, Fewell's criticisms and coaching "stumbles" of this year seem to outweigh and positives from last year. Hell, it's a what have you done for me lately league anyway?

Cosmetic stats aside, rankings are nice and all, but they can be misleading, especially on defense. The most important barometers of Fewell's coaching are from Wekk 15 and week 16 of last year. We gave up 38 points to the Eagles, and 45 points to the Packers in those weeks respectively.

Those two games with the division title and the playoffs in the balance, and Fewell's lack of adjustments, D play calls, etc were are harbinger of this year and an indicator of his defense's overall performance.

Fewell is a nice and enthusiastic guy. He'll get in guy's faces, and call out the D. Great. Those are nice traits. But he is slow to adjust. Hell, he didn't "simplify" the D until 2 weeks ago; ostensibly it took him 15 weeks to of this year and last year to figure out our guys play better with a simple scheme. He likes turn overs and has that head scratching "bend don't break" D identity. So the opposing team will get some yards, and won't score in his sceme, and we'll force a lot of turnovers. Problem is the opposing team has been scoring on us a lot and we haven't been forcing many turnovers. OUr D is gased a lot and he is far too conservative, and makes adjustments after the time horizon for adjustments has passed.

So basically I have had enough of Fewell, and would cut off my pinkie to have Spags back calling the D for Big Blue next year. Furthermore, with Coughlin's age, the D coordinator, will for all intents and purposes be the next head coach for us.

I will however be pulling for Fewell during the playoffs, of course, and will applaud him if he coaches well. However, it would take a lot to change my mind that Spags would not be an upgrade at D coord over Fewell. I mean, isn't the Front Office obligated to evaluate work performance and upgrade if possible?

Spags had his first foray into head coaching with mixed results. He has been criticized for doing cosmetic changes in St Louis, but I think he learned a lot. Bellicheck, for example wasn't the "mad genius" in Cleveland. So instead of Spags learning to be a HC in the spotlight of NY, he learned the ropes in St Louis. Hence, I think he is a lot more seasoned and knowledgeable now and would make one hell of a HC for us. </font>

I understand that you have had enough of Fewell and that this is a what have you done for me league. But do you think the Giants are the same way? I don't. I think they will look at the big picture (not ignoring the very good D performance of 2010), and combined with their tendency to be loyal, they will renew Fewell's contract unless he gets an offer to be a HC somewhere else (highly unlikely imho).

JimC
01-05-2012, 09:14 AM

<font size="4">

Unfortunately, or fortunately and for better or worse, Fewell's criticisms and coaching "stumbles" of this year seem to outweigh and positives from last year. <font size="6" color="#0000FF"> Hell, it's a what have you done for me lately league anyway?</font>

Cosmetic stats aside, rankings are nice and all, but they can be misleading, especially on defense. <font size="6" color="#006400">The most important barometers of Fewell's coaching are from Wekk 15 and week 16 of last year.</font> We gave up 38 points to the Eagles, and 45 points to the Packers in those weeks respectively.

Your argument appears rather flawed given these two conflicting statements. Writing in bold large fonts doesn't make your points correct.

Gianthunter
01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I think the Giants are smart enough to know that analyzing the 16 games and the lackluster performance Fewell displayed are far more compelling than a 2 playoff game sample. Yes, the defense playing well in the playoffs would definitely help his cause on retaining his job, but to the Giants, it would definitely look like renewing the lease on the Ford (Fewell) when Mazeratti (Spags) is offering a lease at the same price.The Giants have already renewed that lease on the Ford.

Redeyejedi
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Giants defense had the third most injuries to a defense the last decade. Fewell will be retained.The Football Outsiders Adjusted Games lost formula came to the conclusion the Giants were missing the equivalent of 4 starters from there defense each week

JesseJames
01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I would like to bring Spags back because I liked the way our defense played when he was here and I have never liked Fewels bend but don't break scheme. I hope the GM sees things the way I do and finds a way to grab Spags before some other team does.

yoeddy
01-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I would like to bring Spags back because I liked the way our defense played when he was here and I have never liked Fewels bend but don't break scheme. I hope the GM sees things the way I do and finds a way to grab Spags before some other team does.

Imho, when dealing with the volume of injuries we've had, "bend but don't break" is really the best the team could hope for. This defense is designed around the pass rush, but when you've got Osi missing games, Tuck playing injured, two rookie LBs and a rookie DT, I don't think you can really expect anything more. A lot of people say "he should blitz more!", but does blitzing Mark Herzlich or even Chase Blackburn really do anything? And then with 6 CBs on IR, do you really want to put Michael Coe or Deion Grant (or Aaron Ross for that matter) in single coverage?

Obviously, I wish our D could have played better this season, but I'm not sure what people expected Fewell (or any DC) to do given the cards he was dealt this season.