PDA

View Full Version : Is this team as good as 2007?

ufcrules1
01-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm a Cowboys fan, so I didn't follow the Giants in 2007. I do remember their defense was really good though. From this season alone, I'm thinking the Giants will beat the Falcons but I don't see them getting passed GB or NO. The Cowboys have zero secondary, and have a bunch of mentally weak players on the team. We only beat one team above 500 on the year and that was in week 2 against the 49'ers...and we barely won that game. So we weren't some great team to beat.

I'm bummed my team lost but at the same time ok with it because it will allow us to get rid of a bunch of no talent players, moved up to #14 in the draft, and get an easier schedule... even though the schedule is already hard as hell. I'm glad we don't have to face the Packers and 49'ers next year.

Kruunch
01-03-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm a Cowboys fan, so I didn't follow the Giants in 2007. I do remember their defense was really good though. From this season alone, I'm thinking the Giants will beat the Falcons but I don't see them getting passed GB or NO. The Cowboys have zero secondary, and have a bunch of mentally weak players on the team. We only beat one team above 500 on the year and that was in week 2 against the 49'ers...and we barely won that game. So we weren't some great team to beat.

I'm bummed my team lost but at the same time ok with it because it will allow us to get rid of a bunch of no talent players, moved up to #14 in the draft, and get an easier schedule... even though the schedule is already hard as hell. I'm glad we don't have to face the Packers and 49'ers next year.

On paper this team is better then the 2007 Giants.

We'll have to see how the rest of the season plays out though.

I'm hoping we get GB. I think we match up well against them and judging by our game with them this year, we certainly can hang with them.

I don't want to see NO though. They have too many weapons for us to cover and seem to be a much faster team then the Packers.

nihan87
01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
To me, the offense is much better in 2011 than it was in 2007. Eli has emerged as a great QB and his receivers have delivered. Now that the OL is geling and getting running lanes open, we should be tough to stop. </P>

</P>

Defense wise, I personally think the DL is similar. A force to be reckoned with and the dividing factor as to whether we seem to win or lose. Secondary looks better not playing zone on every damn play. </P>

Special teams has been doing well. Sunday night wasnt a prime example but for the collective season, they have had decent field position and have been flying to the ball on punts/ kick offs.</P>

I like that this team has something to prove to the world. That chip on their shoulders could get them far. </P>

Morehead State
01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Just as in 2007, its all about the matchups on the D line. This defense needs to get to the QB in order to not get lit up. Our offense is definately better. But everybody's is. The league has actually changed a lot since 2007.

fansince69
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM

My thoughts on this are when we started the season meaning after the draft I would have said this team had more talent than in 2007....the offense is significantly better and the defense was solid...Injuries have hit us very hard ....at this point I would say if we win a Superbowl...YES...if we don't Then obviously NO.......In 07 we peaked at the right time......we seem to be starting a run but it remains to be seen

Kruunch
01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Just as in 2007, its all about the matchups on the D line.* This defense needs to get to the QB in order to not get lit up.* Our offense is definately better.* But everybody's is.* The league has actually changed a lot since 2007.

Friggin flag football.

yoeddy
01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Just as in 2007, its all about the matchups on the D line.* This defense needs to get to the QB in order to not get lit up.* Our offense is definately better.* But everybody's is.* The league has actually changed a lot since 2007.

Our running game was much better in 2007...

Zaggs
01-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I would say the defense is not. Too much inexperience compared to 2007. The ground game is not better either. Passing game is, but only because the ground game sucks.

MikeIsaGiant
01-03-2012, 10:25 AM
On paper yes, but our defense is not where it's at. The secondary is missing pieces. We really miss TT

Morehead State
01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Just as in 2007, its all about the matchups on the D line. This defense needs to get to the QB in order to not get lit up. Our offense is definately better. But everybody's is. The league has actually changed a lot since 2007. Our running game was much better in 2007...</P>

Honestly, Baas is killing us in the run game. But we can score a lot better now than in 07.</P>

NYSPORTS
01-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I think the 2007 team was better unless this one proves otherwise.

2007 Plax and Toomer were a more mature dual of receivers when compared to the more explosive Nicks and Cruz

2007 had a legit MIKE

2007 had a better running game

2012 has a more mature Manning.

We will see.

Bluesmash
01-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Our defense is finally getting healthy and together in the nick of time for the playoffs. I'd like to see if they could rattle Brees, but we have already shown we can compete with GB and SF.

It would be great if our running game came together too, so we could eat some clock against whomever.

Ah, for the days of our SB against the high flying Bills, when they got their hands on the ball for less than 20 minutes--a SB record.

CTLadyBlue
01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
There are some eerie similarities. When the Giants went toe to toe and score to score with the Packers, all I could think of was the '07 season finale with the Pats. The Defense is beginning to wake up and becoming a beast. I just hope Fewell can create enough original defensive packages which upcoming playoff teams hadn't seen before to keep opposing OLs in knots.

The only thing missing is the power running game. Jacobs was prime in '07 - not he just seems to stumble, but Bradshaw and Ware fill in the gap nicely. We had a rising star in Steve Smith in '07 whereas now we have Cruz. our OL is minus Siebert and O'Hara, but they are replaced with younger guys peppered with a couple of vets left over from the '07 season (Diehl and McKenzie). My only concern is the secondary and their handling of Brees/Rogers targets and keeping them contained.

We are definitely the underdog - no matter what the point spread is this week (were we favored to beat the Bucs in the wildcard round in '07?) After that - we were chosen each week against the Cowboys and then the Packers to collapse. How appropo would it be to make it to the Championship game again in Lambeau in sub-zero weather? TC better don the face mask this time!

I don't make predictions or guarantees, but in a league where it's truly 'any given Sunday', anything is possible. It all comes down to preparation, eliminating stupid mistakes, playing as a cohesive unit and, above all, who wants it more

TuckYou
01-03-2012, 11:33 AM
In some spots yes, in some spots no. Eli is playing much better, but the oline and RBs arent as good. Our D isnt nearly as good as 07', but can be solid at times. They definately arent as healthy. Tuck and Osi being the key injuried guys. They arent 100%. We lost Kiwi and Ward in 07 for the playoffs, and we lost Goff and Thomas this year before the season even started. In 07', we had a hell of a rookie class to help out. This season, they barely made a scratch outside of JWilliams and Hynoski, besides the STs of Paysinger, Herzlick and company.

Mercury
01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I remind you that no one thought in 2007 that we would beat Tampa Bay. No one thought we would beat Dallas. No one thought we would beat Green Bay. And absolutely no one thought we would beat New England.

Here we are in 2012 and will be facing the elite teams in the playoffs. And while, there is no guarantee of success, I think we have a decent chance vs. any team we meet up with. This Giants team, when it plays at its best, is certainly capable of winning against anyone they face. I like their chances. So just maybe in February, we will be looking back and saying, "Yes. The 2011 Giants are even better than the 2007 team."

repeatchamps
01-03-2012, 11:44 AM
In some spots yes, in some spots no. Eli is playing much better, but the oline and RBs arent as good. Our D isnt nearly as good as 07', but can be solid at times. They definately arent as healthy. Tuck and Osi being the key injuried guys. They arent 100%. We lost Kiwi and Ward in 07 for the playoffs, and we lost Goff and Thomas this year before the season even started. In 07', we had a hell of a rookie class to help out. This season, they barely made a scratch outside of JWilliams and Hynoski, besides the STs of Paysinger, Herzlick and company.</P>

You could say Ballard and Cruz are essentially rookies so they are getting big time output from young unproven players.</P>

BigBlue1971
01-03-2012, 11:46 AM
the defensebefore the Jetsgame was not better than the 07 team.</P>

the level ofplay in the Jets and Cowboys games is essential if they are to go deep into the playoffs.</P>

that said, no they are not better imo!</P>

repeatchamps
01-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I remind you that no one thought in 2007 that we would beat Tampa Bay. No one thought we would beat Dallas. No one thought we would beat Green Bay. And absolutely no one thought we would beat New England.

Here we are in 2012 and will be facing the elite teams in the playoffs. And while, there is no guarantee of success, I think we have a decent chance vs. any team we meet up with. This Giants team, when it plays at its best, is certainly capable of winning against anyone they face. I like their chances. So just maybe in February, we will be looking back and saying, "Yes. The 2011 Giants are even better than the 2007 team."

</P>

Also like 2007 the NFC playoff competition other than the first round opponent (faced neither TB in '07nor Atlanta in '12 during regular season play) are teams the Giants faced and lost to at least once in the regular season. Giants lost to GBonce in 2007 and twice to Dallasin 2007. GB, New Orleans&amp; San Franciscoall beat the Giants this season. The one exception other than the aforementioned Falcons is the Lions. The Giants can only play the Lions in the NFC Title game and that would be quite a feat for Detroit to make it that far as it wouldbe for the Giants as well. No matter what, the Giants will face an opponent they already faced and losttoif the Giants beat Atlanta this week which is exactly like 2007 actually.</P>

Kruunch
01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
In 2007 our defense didn't really show up until the end of the year (much like our defense this year).

We were 17th in points per game at 21.9 ppg average (25th this year with 25 ppg avg).

I agree that in general our defense was better in 2007, but not to the extent that most people remember (most remembering the playoff run).

Our total offense is so much better than in 2007 it's not even worth mentioning the disparity of the run game ... especially given the passing trend in the NFL this year.

But in the end, the only REAL way we can compare is if they win it all this year.

BParcells777
01-03-2012, 12:00 PM
This team is better at every position but TE and he (Ballard) should be back in a week or too

Eli is wayyyyyyyyy better than that year...the WRs no comparison

The D Line much better

Jacobs and Bradshaw coming back to form at just the right time.

The competition is stiffer but we will prevail

repeatchamps
01-03-2012, 12:07 PM
This team is better at every position but TE and he (Ballard) should be back in a week or too

The D Line much better

</P>

WR's in my opinion are defintielybetter this year due to the big play potential but uncomparable is quite strong words to use. Boss, Burress, Toomer and Smith were quite formidable at times. Eli to me is the biggest difference but there is no doubt that this year the big play potential is far and away greater from these Receivers than in '07.</P>

I think people need to realize that Eli having continuity now for three seasons with Nicks &amp; Manningham is absolutely huge. Just look how Eli and Nicks are just in unison with everything they do. I knew they were going to Nicks on that exact play to score that late TD Sunday. If I knew, Dallas likely knew but yet they couldn't stop it. I knew they were going to score the TD because Eli to Nicks on that particular routeis unstoppable when executed as it was. Cruz emerging is clearly the biggest shock. To have thisrapport with Eli in his first real season is quite eye openingbecause history has shown that Eli needs multiple seasons with new receivers to get into a Manning-Burress, Manning-Nicks type groove. Cruz's emergence is stunning and if this is what he will bring for years to come, all I can say is WOW.</P>

Kruunch
01-03-2012, 12:09 PM

The D Line much better

You just basically said that JPP is an upgrade over Strahan.

(not sure I can go there ..... yet)

SweetZombieJesus
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
In 07', we had a hell of a rookie class to help out. This season, they barely made a scratch outside of JWilliams and Hynoski, besides the STs of Paysinger, Herzlick and company.

I'd say the sophomores (JPP and Cruz) make up for that rookie class. Those two have almost held up the tent by themselves.

repeatchamps
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
In 07', we had a hell of a rookie class to help out. This season, they barely made a scratch outside of JWilliams and Hynoski, besides the STs of Paysinger, Herzlick and company.

I'd say the sophomores (JPP and Cruz) make up for that rookie class. Those two have almost held up the tent by themselves.
</P>

Yup. Ballard deserves mention as well.</P>

BParcells777
01-03-2012, 12:59 PM

The D Line much better

You just basically said that JPP is an upgrade over Strahan.

(not sure I can go there ..... yet)

I said nothing of the kind but Strahan has said that himself

I'll let him be the judge