PDA

View Full Version : The Legal system is a joke.. Not fair for Plaxico

GetshockdaBall
08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Stallworth drives drunk and kills a man and gets 30 days.. I don't care if he paid the family millions or was "remorseful" HE KILLED SOMEBODY and Got 30 days!!!
Plaxico shot himself and he gets 2 years.. I'm not saying Plax is innocent and he deserved punishment but 2 years for a victimless crime like that is absured....
Hold your head Plax even if you don't play another down in your life you've had a very good career and made ones of money.

Jint Fan 73
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Stallworth drives drunk and kills a man and gets 30 days.. I don't care if he paid the family millions or was "remorseful" HE KILLED SOMEBODY and Got 30 days!!!
Plaxico shot himself and he gets 2 years.. I'm not saying Plax is innocent and he deserved punishment but 2 years for a victimless crime like that is absured....
Hold your head Plax even if you don't play another down in your life you've had a very good career and made ones of money.

jesus effen christ

didn't you see the three other threads on the same subject

pino
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
This arguement fails. Miami laws have nothing to do with NY laws.</P>

NY did it's job. I applaud them for not giving him the celebrity treatment.</P>

gmen0820
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey in NY its mandatory 3 1/2 years for carrying a concealed weapon. The systems a joke But Stallworth didnt get off to easy. Lost his liscense for ever, house arrest etc. I agree it is a joke but come on this a football message board why do we need 20 ****ing posts aobut this??

yo-ho
08-20-2009, 02:39 PM

You must think it is okay for people to walk into clubs or restaurants or other public venues and carry concealed weapons. Personally I don't. I don't even think he or any other common Joe should be able to purchase a hand gun unless they have a legitimate reason for carrying one. The thought that everyone has the right to carry a gun is ridiculous. Then carry a rifle, at least you can see that coming. there are too many fools like Plax roaming around with handguns that you don't even know are packing. The two years is just about right.

cornerback30
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Man this is a joke,killing a man is not even in the same category as shooting yourself in the leg.I didn'tlikePlax for the way he carried hiself with the Giants,you know the contract thing and all but he got a raw deal.I don't care where you live or what state you are in killing a person is for worse than harmimg yourself and only yourself unintentionally.I've read some posts about the laws in N.Y. and in Flordia,man it doesn't matter killng a person because of drunk driving is a much,much worse crime.I think the justice system in N.Y. saw a chance to really stick it to Plax and they did.Stallworth killed a man,he was drunk and he tested positive for weed and all he gets is 30 days in jail and had to pay the family a good bit of money,some house arrest and a lifetime ban on his driver's license.If you could ask Plax right now if he would take that deal he would jump out of his shoes at it.It's all BS and this whole thing needs to be looked at it's no wonder crime is at a high rate in this country.Had it been me that killed that guy they would've thrown my A-- under the prison and would have forgotten all about me.Plax got screwed big time.I don't care about laws in N.Y. and laws in Flordia there's no way Plax should have gotten this type of a deal.

yo-ho
08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey in NY its mandatory 3 1/2 years for carrying a concealed weapon. The systems a joke But Stallworth didnt get off to easy. Lost his liscense for ever, house arrest etc. I agree it is a joke but come on this a football message board why do we need 20 ****ing posts aobut this??

In the Stallworth thing, I believe there is a need in Florida to prove the influence of the alcohol was the reason for the manslaughter. Therefore if the guy runs out in the street, and where even a sober guy would have hit him, it is not necessarily the fault of the drunk driver. It appears something like this was in play in the Stallworth case.

GetshockdaBall
08-20-2009, 02:43 PM

You must think it is okay for people to walk into clubs or restaurants or other public venues and carry concealed weapons. Personally I don't. I don't even think he or any other common Joe should be able to purchase a hand gun unless they have a legitimate reason for carrying one. The thought that everyone has the right to carry a gun is ridiculous. Then carry a rifle, at least you can see that coming. there are too many fools like Plax roaming around with handguns that you don't even know are packing. The two years is just about right.

If you reads my post you will see I said that Plax deserved a punishment but 2 years in prison is too harsh for shooting yourself in the leg. I was victimless crime and of course this or that could've happened but guess what It didn't...... 2 years is harsh
Some country we live in , Stallworth kills a man and gets 30 days while Plax gets 2 years

DavenIII
08-20-2009, 02:43 PM
This arguement fails. Miami laws have nothing to do with NY laws.</p>

NY did it's job. I applaud them for not giving him the celebrity treatment.</p>

according to the legal analyst on the M.Kay show today on 1050 radio NY to use his words this was a "Harsh" penalty....it's pretty clear they DID give him the celebrity treatment...in a bad way.

but I agree the previous argument fails, the reason Stallworth got off so easy, is because in Florida you have to prove that the reason the person died in the accident was because the driver was drunk...which apparently in this case was impossible to prove.

pino
08-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Man this is a joke,killing a man is not even in the same category as shooting yourself in the leg.I didn'tlikePlax for the way he carried hiself with the Giants,you know the contract thing and all but he got a raw deal.I don't care where you live or what state you are in killing a person is for worse than harmimg yourself and only yourself unintentionally.I've read some posts about the laws in N.Y. and in Flordia,man it doesn't matter killng a person because of drunk driving is a much,much worse crime.I think the justice system in N.Y. saw a chance to really stick it to Plax and they did.Stallworth killed a man,he was drunk and he tested positive for weed and all he gets is 30 days in jail and had to pay the family a good bit of money,some house arrest and a lifetime ban on his driver's license.If you could ask Plax right now if he would take that deal he would jump out of his shoes at it.It's all BS and this whole thing needs to be looked at it's no wonder crime is at a high rate in this country.Had it been me that killed that guy they would've thrown my A-- under the prison and would have forgotten all about me.Plax got screwed big time.I don't care about laws in N.Y. and laws in Flordia there's no way Plax should have gotten this type of a deal.</P>

It does matter because NY has nothing to do with how Miami sentenced Donte. You honestly think NY is going to give Plax less than 30 days because that's what Miami would do? Why would they care?</P>

And of course NY stuck it to Plax. What do you think happens when you don't take the plea bargain? He could have gotten 3 months, but this is somehow NY's fault that he didn't take that deal?</P>

Look, I went to jail for illegal possession of a firearm when I was 18 (1994). The judge wanted me to take a plea bargain for 3 months. There were some other details I didn't like. In short, he told me that if I didn't take the plea he would make sure I spent at least a year in jail.</P>

You do the math.</P>

yo-ho
08-20-2009, 02:56 PM

If you reads my post you will see I said that Plax deserved a punishment but 2 years in prison is too harsh for shooting yourself in the leg. I was victimless crime and of course this or that could've happened but guess what It didn't...... 2 years is harsh
Some country we live in , Stallworth kills a man and gets 30 days while Plax gets 2 years

What i am saying is that two years for carrying a concealed (and unregistered, although I could care less about the registration part of all this) weapon is a good sentence if you want to deter people from doing it in the future. Which I believe should be done.

The fact that my team looses its star receiver is nowhere near the importance of getting the proper punishment in place, which I think they did.

pino
08-20-2009, 02:57 PM

according to the legal analyst on the M.Kay show today on 1050 radio NY to use his words this was a "Harsh" penalty....it's pretty clear they DID give him the celebrity treatment...in a bad way.

but I agree the previous argument fails, the reason Stallworth got off so easy, is because in Florida you have to prove that the reason the person died in the accident was because the driver was drunk...which apparently in this case was impossible to prove.
</P>

I won't deny that he's been made an example. That was clear when the mayor made his comments. But he can't say they didn't give him a dealif 3 months were on the table. I would have taken that in a second.</P>

Manning2Shock803
08-20-2009, 02:58 PM

</P>

The problem is, they did give him the celebrity treatment. Bloomberg and the DA wanted to make an example out of Plax because of his celebrity status.</P>

There have been a lot of cases of people with the same crime getting no jail time. Plax was treated unfairly.</P>

billybrown04
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
That is the Fair Play for Cuba Committee.

DavenIII
08-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I won't deny that he's been made an example. That was clear when the mayor made his comments. But he can't say they didn't give him a dealif 3 months were on the table. I would have taken that in a second.

I agree, if he was offered that deal he should have taken it, I saw the article no need to repost it, I just can't fathom the stupidity of not taking a 3 month deal.

Captain Chaos
08-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Stallworth drives drunk and kills* a man and gets 30 days.. I don't care if he paid the family millions or was "remorseful" HE KILLED SOMEBODY and Got 30 days!!!

Great point! The difference is Ohio vs New York!

bluereckincrew
08-20-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree the system failed in Miami, but that really has nothing to do with Plax and he got what he deserved, Karma is a *****.</P>

You could look at case after case with same crimes committed in every city across America and find inconsistent sentences for them.</P>

pino
08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
I won't deny that he's been made an example. That was clear when the mayor made his comments. But he can't say they didn't give him a dealif 3 months were on the table. I would have taken that in a second.

I agree, if he was offered that deal he should have taken it, I saw the article no need to repost it, I just can't fathom the stupidity of not taking a 3 month deal.
</P>

Neither did I, and that's why I'm disappointed in Plax. Sure they want to make an example, but three months was a very small example. You have to choose your battles, Plax.</P>

rocky325
08-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Where did he get his lawyer? Some kid just out of law school appointed by legal aid?

If he did indeed get a 3 month plea deal and turned it down than either Plax is a much bigger idiot than any of us imagined or he should have shot his lawyer in the leg instead of himself!!

As far as the actual sentence is concerned. It is harsh for a one time offender...celebrity or not....compared to other States and Federal juristictions. For Stallworth to get a month for actually killing a human being through his own negligence, and Vick doing almost the same time for actually killing live animals, gives the public an upsetting sense when it comes to the justice system. According to our Constitution, all men are created equal....and as it applies to the law. It's a great premise for a great nation, but as we can see, it isn't applied in actuality.

Stiff sentence or not, the entire situation's a mess for him and his family. Nothing to do now but wish him the best, hope for his wife and kid's sake that he finally cleans up his act, and move on.....the Giants already have!

bigblue4417
08-20-2009, 03:15 PM
"After an agonizing period of discussion, Plaxico decided that he
wanted to do this, put this behind him as quickly as possible,"
attorney Ben Brafman said. "This is a perfect example, in many ways, of
how bad judgment sometimes has very terrible consequences."

"If Plaxico
Burress were not a high-profile individual, it would never have been a
case," he said. "If he were John Doe, he would've walked out of that
club. Nobody at the hospital reported the gunshot wound."

"It was not
helpful to have the mayor go on record early on this case, demanding a
maximum prison sentence," he said. "That would not have happened if he
were not a high-profile individual.

Manning2Shock803
08-20-2009, 03:16 PM
He was offered a 3 month deal??!?!

redjersies
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
</P>

I agree. Again, the speeding analogy is an example. Speeding could endanger the lives of others, but it isn't punished with 2 years in jail. Yet, if you crash into someone while speeding and hurt that person, then the punishment will be much more severe.</P>

byron
08-20-2009, 03:24 PM

</P>

Neither did I, and that's why I'm disappointed in Plax. Sure they want to make an example, but three months was a very small example. You have to choose your battles, Plax.</P>

</P>

I think that offer was there it was right at the same time the giants made their offer which he turned down also. I remember reading the article daven speaks of a while ago...oh well</P>

nygiants0010
08-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm kind of torn on this one.2 years and loss of millions seams pretty harsh. He ACCIDENTALY shot HIMSELF . But at the same time , the law is the law...He could have got 3and a half too 15.