PDA

View Full Version : What if this is another "one and done"?

daynemustgo
01-03-2012, 02:35 PM
still a good year? any impact on Coughlin? does it even matter? Just happy to be in the playoffs?

Mercury
01-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm satisfied to have knocked theEagles, Cowboys, and Jets out of contention. Anything more is icing on the cake. And I do like my cake with frosting.

giantsfan420
01-03-2012, 02:38 PM
still a good year? any impact on Coughlin? does it even matter? Just happy to be in the playoffs?

depends on the person. if a person thought we were a 6 win team at best, of course the playoffs alone should be an accomplishment and to be happy. that should also be enough to give coughlin credit.

if a person thought we were a 10 win team and capable of a playoff run, he wouldnt be happy with just a one and done scenario, although coughlin coaching us to the playoffs at least met some expecation. theres no one universal truth for everyone.

question becomes, what did the owners think of this team? the gm?

GameTime
01-03-2012, 02:41 PM
still a good year? any impact on Coughlin? does it even matter? Just happy to be in the playoffs?</P>

good year?.....you can say that with all the injuries. But you can also raise the arguement they should have won two or three more games they lost. Eli had many come backs but if they played better to begin with the come backs wouldnt have been neccessary.</P>

Impact on TC??? In the media he will get bashed a little bit and on these boards they last season records will come up and say its time for a change. Heck he may even retire either way. I htink they keep him though.</P>

Very happy to be in the playoffs but will be very pissed if they play a **** game and come up small.....</P>

</P>

Kruunch
01-03-2012, 02:47 PM

I'm satisfied with this year being NFC East champs and taking it in a win/lose scenario from the Cowboys.

Past that, I think it really depends how this next game unfolds ... if the Giants get absolutely embarassed at home I could see this being TC's last year.

Short of that however, I'm fairly certain you'll see TC extended 2-3 more years come this off season.

Much more meaningful for Fewell I think, and how the defense performs here (and throughout the playoffs).

My personal preference would be to see TC/KG stay and Fewell replaced with either Spags or another quality DC.

MattMeyerBud
01-03-2012, 03:02 PM

i won't consider it a good season

9 wins and a 1 and done... thats all i'll remember when I look back at how the Giants played this year

Eli TO Shockey
01-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I think we should beat the Falcons. Anything less would be a disappointment.

1 game at a time!!

bELIeve!!

MikeIsaGiant
01-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I want them to play a good game, if we get destroyed I'll be so mad

GMENAGAIN
01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
still a good year? any impact on Coughlin? does it even matter? Just happy to be in the playoffs? depends on the person. if a person thought we were a 6 win team at best, of course the playoffs alone should be an accomplishment and to be happy. that should also be enough to give coughlin credit. if a person thought we were a 10 win team and capable of a playoff run, he wouldnt be happy with just a one and done scenario, although coughlin coaching us to the playoffs at least met some expecation. theres no one universal truth for everyone. question becomes, what did the owners think of this team? the gm?</P>

That's how it should work, but we all know it doesn't.</P>

For some reason, people completely throw their preseason expectations out the window when attempting to evaluate a completed season. For example, thereare guys on here (ahem, sheepdip) who predicted a 4-12 record, yet still createthread after thread railiong on the coaches . . . . . </P>

MattMeyerBud
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
still a good year? any impact on Coughlin? does it even matter? Just happy to be in the playoffs? depends on the person. if a person thought we were a 6 win team at best, of course the playoffs alone should be an accomplishment and to be happy. that should also be enough to give coughlin credit. if a person thought we were a 10 win team and capable of a playoff run, he wouldnt be happy with just a one and done scenario, although coughlin coaching us to the playoffs at least met some expecation. theres no one universal truth for everyone. question becomes, what did the owners think of this team? the gm?</p>

That's how it should work, but we all know it doesn't.</p>

For some reason, people completely throw their preseason expectations out the window when attempting to evaluate a completed season. For example, thereare guys on here (ahem, sheepdip) who predicted a 4-12 record, yet still createthread after thread railiong on the coaches . . . . . </p>

well maybe thats the homer in me but I thought even with the injuries we had enough talent to win the division. I never bought into the Philly thing

chasjay
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
If we don't beat the Falcons, I'll focus on the loss for a day or two - after that, I'll be proud of having had a spot in the League of Twelve that plays for the championship.

But if our defense continues the direction it has gone the past couple weeks and we protect the ball on offense, I don't believe we'll be "seventeen and done".

MattMeyerBud
01-03-2012, 03:44 PM
If we don't beat the Falcons, I'll focus on the loss for a day or two - after that, I'll be proud of having had a spot in the League of Twelve that plays for the championship.

But if our defense continues the direction it has gone the past couple weeks and we protect the ball on offense, I don't believe we'll be "seventeen and done".

If we got the Saints or Packers first round, i'd be okay with it...

I think we are fully capable of beating ANY other team in the NFC east and infact i expect too..

ATL at home is a game we MUST win

chasjay
01-03-2012, 03:51 PM

I think we are fully capable of beating ANY other team in the NFC east and infact i expect too..

I certainly expect a Giant win as well - but I don't think the Saints or Packers would be a much bigger challenge on our home field than the Falcons. Atlanta should have beaten the Saints in Atlanta earlier in the year and we gave Green Bay everything they could handle at our place. Atlanta can be tough - no pushover.

All that said - I expect us to take them.

EJ Blue
01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
We should absolutely beat the Falcons. Anything else will be above and beyond expectations.

jhamburg
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM

I think people on here tend to overrate the talent of this team. What I mean is, everyone implies that we constantly underachieve due to bad coaching. Well this season we had a lot of injuries, we have a generally weak defense outside of the front four, we have a makeshift offensive line and a subpar running game.

We're only great in a few areas- QB, WR, DE. Everything else is average at best. Just about everyone in the world other than this MB would have said the Eagles were a more talented team before this season. If you ask me we overachieved by winning the east.

TopleyBird
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
I don't expect to win the Super Bowl or anything, but it's high-time this organization got themselves a home playoff win.

If we lose on Sunday I will not consider the season successful

MattMeyerBud
01-03-2012, 04:03 PM

I think people on here tend to overrate the talent of this team. What I mean is, everyone implies that we constantly underachieve due to bad coaching. Well this season we had a lot of injuries, we have a generally weak defense outside of the front four, we have a makeshift offensive line and a subpar running game.

We're only great in a few areas- QB, WR, DE. Everything else is average at best. Just about everyone in the world other than this MB would have said the Eagles were a more talented team before this season. If you ask me we overachieved by winning the east.

again - i could be one of those people who are wrong but I think reese has done a GREAT job depth wise. Yes we've had injuries that have definitly hurt us this year. Alot of guys IR'd and alot of IN-season injuries - BUT i feel we still have top level talent.

With the injuries I feel like we are a top 5 team. We are now as healthy as we could probably be and are on fire.

This week is a MUST win

BigBlue wins
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
If the giants come out flat like the second eagles game, most of the fanbase will be pissed. If they come out firing on all cylinders like the last game, we should win no doubt. We have a high powered offense and when the entire team clicks together like last sunday, very few teams can handle that. New Orleans is the only team I am truly worried about.

miked1958
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
still a good year? any impact on Coughlin? does it even matter? Just happy to be in the playoffs?</P>

Got a feeling it all comes together Sunday a 1pm on offense and defense and ST for a full 60m...</P>

What do you got to say about that......</P>

I think we will extend at least 1wk.</P>

and depending on where we travel to maybe longer.</P>

DelawareGiants
01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
If we lose this game, TC is safe for sure as Mara and Tisch are loyal to the core. Look at all the other owners that are not firing their head coaches. I think it is due to lack of higher profile candidates right now with Cowher an Gruden not interested.

I can't say the same for Perry Fewell though- esp. if Spags is interested.

Gianthunter
01-03-2012, 05:26 PM

UMMMMMMMM NFC East Champs. Just sayin sparky[;)]

daynemustgo
01-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Got a feeling it all comes together Sunday a 1pm on offense and defense and ST for a full 60m...</P>

What do you got to say about that......</P>

I think we will extend at least 1wk.</P>

and depending on where we travel to maybe longer.</P>

I think they beat atlanta and then either beat SF/GB or take them to the brink...I hope anyways

CDN_G-FAN
01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
i think it depends on what you think of the Falcons.

alot of guys on here think of that team as nothing more than 'meh'.

personally, i think they're a really quality squad whose only drawback is a lack of playoff wins, which is how we were categorized back in the day too.

Axels15
01-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I say still a good year.

After all the injuries, not to mention the 'sky is falling' free agency, plus ending the losing streak to the eagles, I am pleased with coming out with the division, even if it doesn't go farther

Roosevelt
01-04-2012, 08:04 PM

I had us at 8-8 so I'll be happy no matter how far we go.

Lot's of injuries, and question marks this year.

No matter what happens this year, I'm expecting big things next year.

byron
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
There wereparts/games this year that were just plainbrutal to watch andI was calling for heads to roll...But the last few games it seems at least that they have come around, and are playing the kind of Giants football I'm used to seeing...And its not just about thewinningitsas muchabout the way they have been playing...they are playingmoreagressive showing some fight that forme seemed to be missing at times ...One game a week to play... for christ sakesshow upready...</P>

So will I be happy if they are one anddone? probably not but if they go down fighting hard to the end it will make ita little less pain full .. Ilike our chances if they show up,go all infor 60 min..that they can beat anyone! So Atlanta look out !</P>

brad
01-04-2012, 08:48 PM
IMHO it is more important how the game is played. If they come out and play with intensity and focus yet still lose, I will be disappointed but can live with it. If they come out flat like they have several times this year, I would want some changes. Not necessarily with Coughlin leaving, but at least changes in his assistants.

gumby742
01-04-2012, 09:06 PM
still a good year? any impact on Coughlin? does it even matter? Just happy to be in the playoffs? depends on the person. if a person thought we were a 6 win team at best, of course the playoffs alone should be an accomplishment and to be happy. that should also be enough to give coughlin credit. if a person thought we were a 10 win team and capable of a playoff run, he wouldnt be happy with just a one and done scenario, although coughlin coaching us to the playoffs at least met some expecation. theres no one universal truth for everyone. question becomes, what did the owners think of this team? the gm?</p>

That's how it should work, but we all know it doesn't.</p>

For some reason, people completely throw their preseason expectations out the window when attempting to evaluate a completed season.* For example, there*are guys on here (ahem, sheepdip) who predicted a 4-12 record, yet still create*thread after thread railiong on the coaches . . . . . *</p>

well maybe thats the homer in me but I thought even with the injuries we had enough talent to win the division. I never bought into the Philly thing

i thought the same. Even with our injuries, we have enough talent to be at least a top 15 defense. But we were almost dead last.

bearbryant
01-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Overall, I'm very disappointed with the inconsistency of this team. With that said, I've enjoyed watching the Jints come out in the last 2 games with spirit, passion and fire and show that they are a pretty good team when emotionally prepared for the game they are playing. The schemes didn't win the last 2 games the play by the players won them. Which leads me to the sticking point in this team... coaching. Everyone knows we need LB's, need offensive linemen along with some talented athletes for ST's play. But the coaching and preparation is the thing that shows the inconsistency in the Giants. Our coaching philosophy seems to be more of not losing than winning. We're always playing in a defensive mode. We rarely attack our oppositions weakness but just try to play a conservative brand of football that never allows us to take advantage of our capabilities for fear that we might not " pull it off". It shows in our OC, DC and our HC leads the pack. I don't know why Quinn is still on this coaching staff, he has shown time after time that he does not know what the **** he's doing. Our HC's loyalty has become a liability. We've seen that we have some very talented players, decent players and some who need to be a a train. I hope those changes are addressed in the off season.
The defense has shown that it can make it happen when they come out smoking. One of the reasons they were so good in 07 was the coaches aggressiveness and the players tenacity. We now have tenacity on certain days, only.
We should beat 'lanta but regardless, I want to see changes for the better in the off season, coaches and players playing in todays NFL, using all the gifts on the team, not just some of them. Go Giants!

SweetZombieJesus
01-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Very indicting on Coughlin if this happens.

It depends if the front office is emotional (highs from Jets, Dallas wins and making it into the playoffs) or analytical (see below).

Given that the front office showed remarkable restraint in not firing Coughlin following the collapses of 2008 (Plax shooting and first round egg), 2009 (losing last ever game at Giants Stadium with playoffs up for grabs 41-9), or 2010 (collapse against Eagles with 7:30 left up by 24 points and NFC East title on the line, and the following week with playoffs still up for grabs in Green Bay a 45-17 no-show) -- they are not acting on emotion, but on analysis and/or loyalty.

Should they lose this game:

- Still never won a home playoff game (0-3)
- Still never won a playoff game outside of 2007 (0-4)
- Bounced from first round 4x
- 7th 2nd half collapse in 8 years
- Nov/Dec record is 31-42

It will also matter how badly they get beaten -- in 2005 they lost to the Panthers 23-0 and in 2008 they lost to the Eagles 23-11, both at home.

So if they are looking purely at the numbers &amp; statistics, it's not going to be good.

nygsb42champs
01-05-2012, 08:11 AM
I think it would depend on how they played. If they came out and played a flat game and got blown out it would matter. But lets think positive and lets get a win.

Captain Chaos
01-05-2012, 08:30 AM
As long as they play well (no redskins repeats) then I will be happy with the season. However, think we will get out of the first round, second I'm not so sure about!

gumby742
01-05-2012, 08:34 AM
still a good year? any impact on Coughlin? does it even matter? Just happy to be in the playoffs? I think people on here tend to overrate the talent of this team. What I mean is, everyone implies that we constantly underachieve due to bad coaching. Well this season we had a lot of injuries, we have a generally weak defense outside of the front four, we have a makeshift offensive line and a subpar running game. We're only great in a few areas- QB, WR, DE. Everything else is average at best. Just about everyone in the world other than this MB would have said the Eagles were a more talented team before this season. If you ask me we overachieved by winning the east.</P>

On defense - even with our injuries, we are still very talented. Name me another team that has more collective talent then we do - even with the injuries. There aren't many.</P>

JPP - Probowler. Tuck - Probowler. Osi - Probowler. Rolle - probowler. Philips - starter on most teams. Canty - starter on most teams. Webster - starter on most teams. Boley - starter on most teams. Kiwi - debatable - depending on position, but probably a starter on most teams - if he's a DE.</P>

That's at least 8-9 players that would be starters on almost any other team. That's a lot. There's absolutely no excuse to the in the bottom 3 in defense. Hell, even the rams have a better overall defense then we do. What's up with that?</P>

Talent overrated? I don't think so. Underachieving and overpaid? Quite possibly.</P>

JesseJames
01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I think we underachieved this season and just got lucky and backed into the playoffs, now I will say if we can beat the elite teams we will face in the playoffs that we might have a chance at duplicating 2007 all over again, once a team makes the playoffs anything can happen..

RonJon
01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I'd be disappointed if tey don't at least win this game and get another shot at the Packers or 49ers.