PDA

View Full Version : Another INTERESTING Stat Per Ralph V.

giantsfan420
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
The Giants are the 3rd team in NFL history to have made the playoffs with the last ranked run game.

The two before them? AZ in 08, and Indy in 06. Both made it to the Super Bowl in part thanks to the run game.

Why this is huge? I had entertained and posted this thought in another thread.

The teams we face in the playoffs will undoubtedly study our tape from the reg. season. What will they find? That the best chance to beat us will be to stop the PASS as opposed to coming into this season where teams saw the 25 ints from last year and figured the best way to beat us was to stop the RUN.

The run game will be there if KG can be a little more creative as opposing defenses will focus on Cruz and Nicks w/o a doubt.

If we can get the lead early, I feel we will be able to simulate our 07 run in which we didn't necessarily run that well, but we ran enough to where the passing game put us over the top. We should be able to control the clock, and the run should open up the pass.

This will force teams into trying to score quicker, and most likely resort to passing primarily, which guess what, favors our DL.

The blueprint is there along with the opportunity, Bradshaw and Jacobs haven't even come close to playing a full season and should have fresh legs because even when they did play, the run game was so ineffective we relied heavily on the pass.

I really like our chances vs Atl. I see a win by two scores, much like I called we would blow out Dallas this past Sunday night.

BigBlue1971
01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
at this point i think those stats are misleading to an extent.</P>

up to the Jets games, injuries prevented the rushing attack from being better.</P>

the last two games, AB and BJ have both run hard. even Ware has broke a coupla big runs.</P>

i think along with the defense, the rushing attack will take us.....who knows how far in the playoffs.</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5>Go Giants!</FONT></P>

gmen46
01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
at this point i think those stats are misleading to an extent.</P>

up to the Jets games, injuries prevented the rushing attack from being better.</P>

the last two games, AB and BJ have both run hard.* even Ware has broke a coupla big runs.</P>

i think along with the defense, the rushing attack will take us.....who knows how far in the playoffs.</P>

*</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5>Go Giants!</FONT></P>

I agree with you that the stat is misleading at this point.

I'll go further and say the run game has been much improved the last 5 games, From the GB game, on.

We've gained over 100 rush yards (not always by a lot, true) in each of the last 5 games, and we've out gained each team, except vs Redskins (where they out rushed us by only a handful of yards) in rushing.

In several important ways the Giants are an improved team--dare I say a vastly improved team?--over that of the first 11 games.

CruzMissle
01-03-2012, 09:22 PM
I was wondering, has a team ever had bigger injuries in the pre-season, throughout the season, and still even MADE the playoffs? I could be way off here, but we lost a lot, had to work with so little at times, and we still made it to the dance.

Drez
01-03-2012, 09:26 PM
I was wondering, has a team ever had bigger injuries in the pre-season, throughout the season, and still even MADE the playoffs? I could be way off here, but we lost a lot, had to work with so little at times, and we still made it to the dance.
</P>

According to Football Outsiders, "adjusted games lost to injury," metric only 2 teams in the past decade have suffered worse in the injury department than we have: the 0-16 Lions and the '09(?) Bills.</P>

yatitle
01-03-2012, 09:27 PM

I saw a stat that in terms of manpower games lost to starters the 2011 Giants were 3rd all time. The other 2 teams won 2 and 4 games.

giantsfan420
01-03-2012, 11:37 PM
u r correct drez and yatittle.

forgot who posted that but i saw the link and article and it seemed to be accurate and from a reputable source i believe profootballoutsiders or something.

we all had our doubts at one point or another in the season, but eli/cruz/jpp really carried the load for a while. also remember, we had the most difficult schedule and that dreaded like 5 game span against the best teams in the league. granted we didnt win too many of those but we were close in all of them except NO and beat NE at home.

this team is def. battle tested which i think will come in huge in the playoffs.