PDA

View Full Version : Too many players to re-sign?

AllTuckedUp
01-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

How are we going to afford all of them?

Axels15
01-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Pretty sure Cruz had a three year contract. Nicks likely had a four year contract. JPP also is nowhere near the end of his....

?

What you should have asked is:

TT
MM
Goff
Ross (Please let him be gone)

Axels15
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/information-pages/player-salaries/

VBGiantsFan
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Pretty sure Cruz had a three year contract. Nicks likely had a four year contract. JPP also is nowhere near the end of his....

?

TT
MM
Goff

MM is gone, but I wouldn't be surprised if we draft his replacement or Barden is given his job by default.

With Prince Amekamura expected to take a major step next year, we'll keep either Ross or TT, but NOT both.

Goff is a wildcard, but it wouldn't hurt for the team to draft a great Mike this season.

01-03-2012, 07:55 PM
I just looked at that salary list... it actually disgusts me how little these warriors are payed .. (in comparison to baseball players)

JMGGIANTS
01-03-2012, 08:01 PM
yeah but baseball players don't sacrifice their limbs and brains in the span of 5-10 years.

tt24
01-03-2012, 08:01 PM
WE NEED TO RESIGN:

Ballard, Tolly, TT, Weatherford. The rest (ie: ross, ham) would be good but are certainly not needed

tt24
01-03-2012, 08:02 PM
oh and this man needs a new contract

<a>http://a57.foxnews.com/img.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/fn-latino/sports/660/371/Victor%20Cruz%20Salsa.jpg</a>

NYSPORTS
01-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

You draft well and cut many. With the new CBA it's imperative to not only develop players drafted but to not lose draft picks. That's why I believe it's almost impossible to move O$I for a higher pick. That is, unless he absolutley dominates the playoffs and teams just can't pass on an offer.

One thing about Cruz, he will never get better than this. Don't expect his yardage to hit 1800 or anything close. Buy low sell high? Not yet, but he's not Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald.

Axels15
01-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

You draft well and cut many. With the new CBA it's imperative to not only develop players drafted but to not lose draft picks. That's why I believe it's almost impossible to move O$I for a higher pick. That is, unless he absolutley dominates the playoffs and teams just can't pass on an offer.

One thing about Cruz, he will never get better than this. Don't expect his yardage to hit 1800 or anything close. Buy low sell high? Not yet, but he's not Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald.

I gotta think, people are gonna look at how little he's played and how amazing he's done, and someone will give up something...

giantsfan420
01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
r u guys seriously even entertaining the notion that cruz is tradable? u guys got to be on drugs or kidding me right?

and cruz is very raw. he could absolutely improve his game. the stats may not ever be this good bc he came out of nowhere and teams now know u simply have to double him, but he has made tons of plays in double coverage this year alone.

behind eli, cruz has been the second mvp of the team.

now jpp...maybe we should explore trading him right? lol

blueomaha
01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
WE NEED TO RESIGN:

Ballard, Tolly, TT, Weatherford. The rest (ie: ross, ham) would be good but are certainly not neededwhat about Hixon??...man, do we need a punt returner.....

giantfanatic
01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
No Hixon
No player hurt more than once.
Chad Jones still our player?

yatitle
01-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

No but he might be Steve Smith (Carolina version). See what that guy does when he has a functional QB?

bigblue5611
01-03-2012, 10:39 PM
No Hixon
No player hurt more than once.
Chad Jones still our player?

yes..chad jones is on non-football injury/reserve list...or something like that..

FIFTY6G-MAN
01-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Cruz Nicks JPP How are we going to afford all of them? You draft well and cut many. With the new CBA it's imperative to not only develop players drafted but to not lose draft picks. That's why I believe it's almost impossible to move O$I for a higher pick. That is, unless he absolutley dominates the playoffs and teams just can't pass on an offer. One thing about Cruz, he will never get better than this. Don't expect his yardage to hit 1800 or anything close. Buy low sell high? Not yet, but he's not Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald.how can you possibly say that cruz wont get better than this season? this is technically his 1st real season albeit a short one.If we have a stable of awesome wr's, teams cannot possibly cover them all. cruz can get better and that means not dropping the passes he has dropped this season, that equals better and more yardage. add into the mix with J ballard and things are looking sweet for our passing game all around. now what we need is a greatO line and some LB's. I have to admit Blackburn is playing with renewed life

Slunk3AM
01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

What?

How do you know what the future holds for Cruz? If anything Cruz has shown he can still produce even with a double team draped over him.

BeatYale
01-04-2012, 01:53 AM
yeah but baseball players don't sacrifice their limbs and brains in the span of 5-10 years.

Yeah but it's all about how much money the team brings in. 16 game seasons compared to 162 game seasons! I'm pretty sure in both cases over 50% of the $ profits go towards player salaries.

NYSPORTS
01-04-2012, 02:32 AM
r u guys seriously even entertaining the notion that cruz is tradable? u guys got to be on drugs or kidding me right?

and cruz is very raw. he could absolutely improve his game. the stats may not ever be this good bc he came out of nowhere and teams now know u simply have to double him, but he has made tons of plays in double coverage this year alone.

behind eli, cruz has been the second mvp of the team.

now jpp...maybe we should explore trading him right? lol

Reading comprehension?

NYSPORTS
01-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Cruz Nicks JPP How are we going to afford all of them? You draft well and cut many. With the new CBA it's imperative to not only develop players drafted but to not lose draft picks. That's why I believe it's almost impossible to move O$I for a higher pick. That is, unless he absolutley dominates the playoffs and teams just can't pass on an offer. One thing about Cruz, he will never get better than this. Don't expect his yardage to hit 1800 or anything close. Buy low sell high? Not yet, but he's not Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald.how can you possibly say that cruz wont get better than this season? this is technically his 1st real season albeit a short one.*If we have a stable of awesome wr's, teams cannot possibly cover them all. cruz can get better and that means not dropping the passes he has dropped this season, that equals better and more yardage. add into the mix with J ballard and things are looking sweet for our passing game all around. now what we need is a great*O line and some LB's. I have to admit Blackburn is playing with renewed life

I know the fantasy fickle will expect 1800 yards but I'm thinking this is the highest output he'll ever have. Not reaching 1500 yards isn't a knock in case the sensative take it wrong. :)

BlueSanta
01-04-2012, 04:26 AM
WE NEED TO RESIGN:

Ballard, Tolly, TT, Weatherford. The rest (ie: ross, ham) would be good but are certainly not neededwhat about Hixon??...man, do we need a punt returner.....

2 injuries to the same knee in as many years.......I think it is unlikely Hixon returns. If he does he will not be as fast as he was previously and likely wont be a punt returner.

TT is also recovering from his 2nd major injury to the same knee. His resigning will be an interesting situation.

gmen 24/7
01-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Believe it or not the injuries might have helped for once, bare with me now, manningham injured, goff didnt get to play his contract year neither did thomas, and Ross stunk up his contract year. Those are the years you earn your money for your next contract and i think we lowball all of them even though it didn't work out last year the fact that none of them did anything to catch other teams eyes means that I doubt anyone offers them more money then we would.

Penguin101
01-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Why would you even play with the thought of trading Cruz? Chemistry between Eli and Cruz is flawless. I'd like to see them both on this team for the rest of their careers if they keep doing what they have.

nygsb42champs
01-04-2012, 09:17 AM
None of them are free agents next year. Why ask that now?

AllTuckedUp
01-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm just saying you want to re-sign them before their stock goes up or they're close to becoming free agents.

Mercury
01-04-2012, 10:06 AM
<font color="#FF0000">Well, the SB winning team is often raided in the off-season for their available players, so I could see guys like Goff, TT, Manningham, and Ross going for big bucks elsewhere for their stellar play this season. </font>[:D]

AllTuckedUp
01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
<font color="#FF0000">Well, the SB winning team is often raided in the off-season for their available players, so I could see guys like Goff, TT, Manningham, and Ross going for big bucks elsewhere for their stellar play this season. </font>[:D]

Let them take MM and Ross

jomo
01-04-2012, 10:54 AM

?

TT
MM
Goff

MM is gone, but I wouldn't be surprised if we draft his replacement or Barden is given his job by default.

With Prince Amekamura expected to take a major step next year, we'll keep either Ross or TT, but NOT both.

Goff is a wildcard, but it wouldn't hurt for the team to draft a great Mike this season.This is all normal stuff which all teams deal with every year. That is why the draft (and undrafted rookie free agent signings) are so important. Look how valuable Cruz is to us. We have a stud WR at unsigned rookie FA prices. Before the season we were looking at resigning MM for a big number. Now we can let him walk and use the money we save to plug some other holes. It's all normal stuff for GM's. Our problems are no greater than most other teams. Teams that have problems are teams like the Jets who have 5 years $45 million committed to a WR who will quit on his team at the drop of a hat. They have no money left to replace him and have to hope to find a Victor Cruz for next to no money, which would be very unlikely.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2012, 11:05 AM
We should be able to assume they will want to lock up Nicks and Cruz with long term extensions. The salary cap is an impediment, but there are ways around it. Obviously, getting rid of players whose salaries are larger than their NOW worth to the team is the first step. But teams can be creative with signing bonuses as the entire amount of a large signing bonus does not count against the CAP.

For these two guys incentives could be another way to get them paid according to their worth, which is pretty significant right now.

Reese will work it out.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
None of them are free agents next year. Why ask that now?

Teams don't always want to wait for them to be free agents when you are talking players like Nicks and Cruz. It would be smart to start their negotiations now to see where their ceiling is in terms of salary and whether or not it's in the team's best interest to negotiate before you have to. Other teams can't make offers to non free agents so you don't have that added pressure to deal with.

burier
01-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Trading Cruz makes no sense considering that we don't have an abundance of recievers. Especially since Manningham will likely be gone. I'm sure JR is thinking we've got Manning in his prime lets keep him with 2 major targets. But even if JR is thinking that he wants to see Cruz do it again next year before he pays him Cruz will demand a new contract and we'll have to oblidge.

Same goes for Nicks really.

We mig hosed on the Osi deal. If we couldn't get a 2nd at the begining of the season then I doubt we could get a 3rd now. We might not be able to get a 4th at this point meaning either Osi is gonna just play out his contract quietly or **** will hit the fan.

I was hoping we'd be able to Trade Tuck and Osi to get real value but I don't see that happening.

Canty and Baas need their contracts fixed. They're getting too much money.

Diehl is due to make too much money next season as well so we may need to just cut him altogether which is unfortunate.

Jacobs needs his contract fixed aswell.

Giantsin04
01-04-2012, 11:20 AM

?

TT
MM
Goff

Goff is a wildcard, but it wouldn't hurt for the team to draft a great Mike this season.

I'm not convinced that MM is gone. He had a very mediocre season and I don't see some type of bidding war going on for the guy. The Giants might value him higher than most teams out there, they've seen first hand his potential while outsiders might be stuck on the actual production. I don't know, I just think he might be one of those guys that comes back at a very friendly price.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

I often agree with your posts, but Cruz is playing in his first year, hasn't started more than half the games, and he's the leading receiver in the NFL. Why would he not improve? Sure, they will try to scheme him into a non-factor but that hasn't worked yet.

NY_Eli
01-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

I often agree with your posts, but Cruz is playing in his first year, hasn't started more than half the games, and he's the leading receiver in the NFL.* Why would he not improve?* Sure, they will try to scheme him into a non-factor but that hasn't worked yet.

Exactly. Both Cruz and Nicks have shown the ability to beat double coverage. That bodes very well for both of their futures. Can't double cover both.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

I often agree with your posts, but Cruz is playing in his first year, hasn't started more than half the games, and he's the leading receiver in the NFL. Why would he not improve? Sure, they will try to scheme him into a non-factor but that hasn't worked yet.

Exactly. Both Cruz and Nicks have shown the ability to beat double coverage. That bodes very well for both of their futures. Can't double cover both.

Eli, Nicks, and Cruz could be a force for several years to come.

gmen0820
01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I'd trade Cruz for the Colts first pick. Both are unlikely in their own respects.

Jobarulz
01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
LOL those guys have at least 2-4 more years left on their deals, and I have no doubt Reese will take care of them. Unfortunately, Reese and Co. will likely have to sacrafice losing some good players (Osi, Mario, TT, etc.) to make sure the three guys you mentioned (Cruz, Nicks, JPP) will be able to get their huge contracts and stay here.

NYSPORTS
01-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

I often agree with your posts, but Cruz is playing in his first year, hasn't started more than half the games, and he's the leading receiver in the NFL.* Why would he not improve?* Sure, they will try to scheme him into a non-factor but that hasn't worked yet.

The point is not trading him, it's a question of his stats, the compensation and recognizing he's not Calvin Johnson. Any agent is going to compare these stats and I'm predicting this is as good as he gets.

FIFTY6G-MAN
01-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Cruz Nicks JPP How are we going to afford all of them? You draft well and cut many. With the new CBA it's imperative to not only develop players drafted but to not lose draft picks. That's why I believe it's almost impossible to move O$I for a higher pick. That is, unless he absolutley dominates the playoffs and teams just can't pass on an offer. One thing about Cruz, he will never get better than this. Don't expect his yardage to hit 1800 or anything close. Buy low sell high? Not yet, but he's not Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald.how can you possibly say that cruz wont get better than this season? this is technically his 1st real season albeit a short one.If we have a stable of awesome wr's, teams cannot possibly cover them all. cruz can get better and that means not dropping the passes he has dropped this season, that equals better and more yardage. add into the mix with J ballard and things are looking sweet for our passing game all around. now what we need is a greatO line and some LB's. I have to admit Blackburn is playing with renewed life I know the fantasy fickle will expect 1800 yards but I'm thinking this is the highest output he'll ever have. Not reaching 1500 yards isn't a knock in case the sensative take it wrong. :)I understand where you are coming from but he can improve and i am sure as long as we have Eli both will benefit and i am thinking Cruz can get more yards next season as long as we have a good stable of wr's. I dont expect 1800 yds...but would go nuts if he did!

MikeSherrard
01-04-2012, 07:57 PM
WOW CHRIS CANTY IS OVERPAYED

HE MUST GET CUT!

DJloves
01-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Wait, some of you all don't actually believe Cruz will be traded, right?

NYSPORTS
01-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

No but he might be Steve Smith (Carolina version).* See what that guy does when he has a functional QB?

That name did cross my mind. Very similar in size and explosiveness. Good call.

IamGiantsfan
01-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

No but he might be Steve Smith (Carolina version).* See what that guy does when he has a functional QB?

Steve smith 5 ft 9
Victor Cruz -6 ft 0

NYSPORTS
01-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Cruz
Nicks
JPP

Steve smith 5 ft 9
Victor Cruz -6 ft 0

Like I said, very similar. If you were keeping score, we were talking Calvin Johnson and others in case you missed that one.