PDA

View Full Version : to kill time before sunday...this year's draft for us..

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
I believe it will be heavy defense, i could see us choosing any of these 3 pos CB, S, LB in the first 3 rounds. Wouldn't be surprised if we went DE or DT as well.

I see OL late. Maybe a TE.

trying to not think of the game alot before sunday bc when I do it usually feels like forever waiting.

GOBIGBLUE52
01-04-2012, 12:29 AM
<font color="#FF0000">Trading up for Andrew Luck</font>

It'll be defense heavy. I'd love a cornerstone LB in the first round. I could see a TE early-middle rounds, like 3/4. I don't see a first round CB, have to believe Prince will be vastly improved next year, plus with Terrell Thomas back, Webster, Rolle showing up, etc.

Don't really watch the college game so I have no idea who's entering the draft this year, looking good, etc.

giantsfan420
01-04-2012, 12:31 AM
i think it will be bpa. and since we'll be drafting around 20, it will either be a lb or ol that will be the bpa.

the bpa skill players will go top 15, from there out its really just a guess.

it really could end up being burfect for us bc he has amazing 1rst round potential. probably top 15 potential with a 2nd round gameplay tape and bonehead mistakes. i see him being this years jimmy smith.

but i think we will pick any one of these; lb,db,dl, ol and in that order.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-04-2012, 12:54 AM
i think it will be bpa. and since we'll be drafting around 20, it will either be a lb or ol that will be the bpa.

it really could end up being burfect for us bc he has amazing 1rst round potential. probably top 15 potential with a 2nd round gameplay tape and bonehead mistakes. i see him being this years jimmy smith.

man i already got that feeling philly is going to draft him. Good thing their LB coach is trash, so maybe he will continue to suck LOL

dave56dj
01-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Reese has been pretty consistent with his picks every year.

First 3 rounds - BPA (The do categorize this so if they have their draft scores as the same they will pick the need position first) Still thats why predicting the Gmen draft - especially early is almost impossible unless you are willing to predict the best player left at our draft spot .

Next 4 Rounds - More need pics. But also hard to predict b/c if they draft bpa AND that happens to fill a need too this changes the latter part of the draft as well.

Good luck prognosticating - last year everyone has us taking a tackle or a backer - most people said costanzo or ayers - we went prince.

gmen0820
01-04-2012, 01:27 AM
Devon Still is emerging as my favorite man for the job but I also really like Quinton Coples.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Devon Still is emerging as my favorite man for the job but I also really like Quinton Coples.

this years draft is deep...2 OL from stanford just declared and reiff from iowa declared as well..three 1st round picks OL

TheEnigma
01-04-2012, 02:10 AM
The big question I think we need to ask ourselves is...Will someone before us reach for a QB and if so, how will that affect the draft board? The Vikings reaching for Ponder allowed lots of teams to get better talent value from their pick. That's why I find it so hard to attempt an accurate mock and anyone who gets 2-3 picks of their team correct in their mock is either lucky or a damn genius.

That said, I feel some positions here are being overvalued in the 1st round while others are being overlooked.

LB - As much as some people might not like it, last year was possibly Reese's big LB year. Greg Jones and Jacquian Williams in the 6th along with Herzlich and Paysinger as UDFA. That's 4 rookies that are still on the squad and each of them will most likely be around next year. If we do draft another LB, I think it'll be in the 3-7th range and nothing higher.

DE - I could see a 2010 happening here again. Reese drafts another pass rusher because he's a BPA pick when it appears we don't really need one. The need would be greater this time though. Osi, while good, has injury issues and contract disputes with the FO so it's never safe to have him pegged for next season.Tuck looks like he's back for good but again, what if he gets hurt and Osi leaves? That just leaves JPP and Tolly. Ouch! Plus, this team values pass rushers over anything other than needing a franchise QB.

CB - Ross will be a FA, Webster will be another year older, TT probably won't be as good coming off of an ACL(and another FA), and Prince will be a Rookie and half really next year. That's not a promising situation when you play in a division with good receiving corps.

OT - I just don't see it happening unless they find an OT around the 5-7 range thats raw like Brewer with good physical attributes. Beatty is pretty good at the LT spot and they have Brewer for the RT spot when it's time for him to play.

WR - We're pretty deep here. Don't see it happening unless it's a 4-7 pick that's a high risk, high reward type.

RB - Think we will see another RB this year and one that's more of a workhorse or powerback to compliment Scott in the future. Again, I think this will be a day 2 or 3 pick since RB's are a dime a dozen.

C/G - This is a realistic possibility in the 2-4 range. C is a question mark in the long term, LG will be up for grabs if we cut Diehl, and who knows how long Snee can play at a good level at RG. As for Boothe, it just seems the stars will never align for him to be an actual starter on this team.

TE - This one is tricky really. Beckum I think will be gone without a doubt unless he emerges in the playoffs. Pascoe could be gone too since Hynoski is looking better at FB now. Another passing option choice other than Ballard at the spot would be nice. Think we'd go with a 3-5 pick here.

DT - This is a good possibility too. No guarantees on Austin and our other guys would always benefit from another guy rotating in the line up. As Gmen0820 said, Devon Still would be a good choice. There are guys in the later rounds though.

S - Maybe? Depends on how and if Chad Jones comes back, Sash's development, and just the general feeling of Rolle and Phillips by Reese. I think if we do draft one, it would be because the guy is a steal in his round.

That's all I have on my mind at the moment.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-04-2012, 02:19 AM
The big question I think we need to ask ourselves is...Will someone before us reach for a QB and if so, how will that affect the draft board? The Vikings reaching for Ponder allowed lots of teams to get better talent value from their pick. That's why I find it so hard to attempt an accurate mock and anyone who gets 2-3 picks of their team correct in their mock is either lucky or a damn genius.

That said, I feel some positions here are being overvalued in the 1st round while others are being overlooked.

LB - As much as some people might not like it, last year was possibly Reese's big LB year. Greg Jones and Jacquian Williams in the 6th along with Herzlich and Paysinger as UDFA. That's 4 rookies that are still on the squad and each of them will most likely be around next year. If we do draft another LB, I think it'll be in the 3-7th range and nothing higher.

DE - I could see a 2010 happening here again. Reese drafts another pass rusher because he's a BPA pick when it appears we don't really need one. The need would be greater this time though. Osi, while good, has injury issues and contract disputes with the FO so it's never safe to have him pegged for next season.Tuck looks like he's back for good but again, what if he gets hurt and Osi leaves? That just leaves JPP and Tolly. Ouch! Plus, this team values pass rushers over anything other than needing a franchise QB.

CB - Ross will be a FA, Webster will be another year older, TT probably won't be as good coming off of an ACL(and another FA), and Prince will be a Rookie and half really next year. That's not a promising situation when you play in a division with good receiving corps.

OT - I just don't see it happening unless they find an OT around the 5-7 range thats raw like Brewer with good physical attributes. Beatty is pretty good at the LT spot and they have Brewer for the RT spot when it's time for him to play.

WR - We're pretty deep here. Don't see it happening unless it's a 4-7 pick that's a high risk, high reward type.

RB - Think we will see another RB this year and one that's more of a workhorse or powerback to compliment Scott in the future. Again, I think this will be a day 2 or 3 pick since RB's are a dime a dozen.

C/G - This is a realistic possibility in the 2-4 range. C is a question mark in the long term, LG will be up for grabs if we cut Diehl, and who knows how long Snee can play at a good level at RG. As for Boothe, it just seems the stars will never align for him to be an actual starter on this team.

TE - This one is tricky really. Beckum I think will be gone without a doubt unless he emerges in the playoffs. Pascoe could be gone too since Hynoski is looking better at FB now. Another passing option choice other than Ballard at the spot would be nice. Think we'd go with a 3-5 pick here.

DT - This is a good possibility too. No guarantees on Austin and our other guys would always benefit from another guy rotating in the line up. As Gmen0820 said, Devon Still would be a good choice. There are guys in the later rounds though.

S - Maybe? Depends on how and if Chad Jones comes back, Sash's development, and just the general feeling of Rolle and Phillips by Reese. I think if we do draft one, it would be because the guy is a steal in his round.

That's all I have on my mind at the moment.

When it comes for us to pick, I believe there will be some really nasty BPA's left.

Mercury
01-04-2012, 10:21 AM

I see us drafting quite a bit lower than 20. I'll go with 32.

RonJon
01-04-2012, 10:21 AM
The preliminiary order has us picking 23rd. Could change depending on how the playoffs go

fansince69
01-04-2012, 11:44 AM
every year this whole board goes nuts with... we need this... we need that....Every year Reese does the same thing and you guys are shocked and pissed...he always takes the best player available......He looks for value at the position we draft in every round.....Does it always fill a need? no...what it does do is give us a roster full of young talent to develop.

You sign free agents to fill needs ...you draft to keep young talent to develop...
Every year at the draft people complain...every year during free agency people complain....
More times than not we are competitive.....Reese's methods work

as I stated several years ago........In Reese I trust

TrueBlue07
01-04-2012, 11:46 AM
every year this whole board goes nuts with... we need this... we need that....Every year Reese does the same thing and you guys are shocked and pissed...he always takes the best player available......He looks for value at the position we draft in every round.....Does it always fill a need? no...what it does do is give us a roster full of young talent to develop.

You sign free agents to fill needs ...you draft to keep young talent to develop...
Every year at the draft people complain...every year during free agency people complain....

This was never more evident in the McClain/JPP draft. Everyone was screaming we needed McClain, admittedly, at the time I wanted him too, but wasn't willing to trade up for him. We ended up with "another pass rusher" and I think today most Giants fans would be happy with our selection.

But Reese does need to tighten up his FA game a bit.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-04-2012, 01:52 PM

This was never more evident in the McClain/JPP draft.* Everyone was screaming we needed McClain, admittedly, at the time I wanted him too, but wasn't willing to trade up for him.* We ended up with "another pass rusher" and I think today most Giants fans would be happy with our selection.

But Reese does need to tighten up his FA game a bit.*

Yeah agreed, this years draft will be nasty, I feel it....

His FA game is suspect. He throws dollars at FAs like its a strip club...COME ON MAN!

Giantsin04
01-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Oh, just draft a DE in the first and be done with it. ****in works everytime...

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Oh, just draft a DE in the first and be done with it. ****in works everytime...

we will definately drafting a DE this year . book it!

TrueBlue07
01-04-2012, 02:07 PM

This was never more evident in the McClain/JPP draft. Everyone was screaming we needed McClain, admittedly, at the time I wanted him too, but wasn't willing to trade up for him. We ended up with "another pass rusher" and I think today most Giants fans would be happy with our selection.

But Reese does need to tighten up his FA game a bit.

Yeah agreed, this years draft will be nasty, I feel it....

His FA game is suspect. He throws dollars at FAs like its a strip club...COME ON MAN!

lmao, that's pretty funny.

Honestly, a healthy Goff, Williams, and Boley...I don't think we NEED a
LBer. We need the LBers we have to stay healthy. LB still will not be
our strongest, but I expect big things from Williams, and thought Goff
was primed for a nice season. Maybe not Pro Bowl esque, but I felt he
was ready to turn the corner. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft one, but I wouldn't trade up to the top 10 for one either.

BPA is always the way to go, unless you have a position of need &amp;
there's a guy out there who would be worthy of being picked where you're
at in the draft, maybe +/- 5-10 spots.

BigBlue2010
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm a little confused. Is OP suggesting we ignore OL until late in the draft?

http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/2352329.aspx

XxBigWhitxX
01-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I actually see use drafting one of two players in the first. Whitney Mercilus or Quinton Coples. I see Coples being a dropper.

gmen0820
01-04-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm a little confused. Is OP suggesting we ignore OL until late in the draft?

http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/2352329.aspxRealistically, I don't see us taking OL early. Kalil and Reiff are the cream of the crop at tackle. DeCastro is a beast but the only person I see being there worth consideration with that pick is Cordy Glenn, which I wouldn't really like as a first round pick although I do really like Cordy Glenn.

I really like a Coples though. I really see him falling in the draft, but he is one of those players that project well as a DE and a 5T, and those players I'm obsessed with. Last year my top DE and one of my favorite players in the draft was JJ Watt. This year it's looking like Coples but I also really like Jared Crick. I can see us taking Jared Crick if he slips as far as I anticipate.

If we prioritize DT though, I'm also a very big fan of Devon Still. He is one of my favorite players in the draft, I see him being a riser.

brad
01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I fully expect that BPA will be the mantra for this draft just as it has been the past few seasons. It is a good approach that has paid off for the Giants. Fortunately I believe that immediate need and BPA could fall perfectly for them this year. There could be a few good LB's, either inside or outside that would work well for them assuming they pick in the mid 20's. Zach Brown (OLB) Dont'a Hightower (ILB) or Vontaze Burfict (ILB) would all be immediate impact players on this team.