PDA

View Full Version : Short Yardage Quick Handoff to FB

chasjay
01-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Do we ever try this? I don't recall seeing us use it this year. I know that you can't get away with it too often, but it seems that I see other teams pick up critical 1st downs with this call. Given our woes on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1, I'd think we'd give it a shot occasionally. Maybe we have and I don't remember. Is that the case?

TrueBlue07
01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
No, we haven't done that this year. Or how about a play action quick pass to a TE? Nope. I almost never knock KG, but this is the one part of his play calling that infuriates me. He never gets creative when we need that 1 yard.

Thought Collinsworth made a good point, on 4th and 1 the other team sends in their beefy, run stoppers. Jacobs is not going to truck a 300lb DT like he is Charles Woodson.

GMENAGAIN
01-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Can't be worse than using Jacobs . . . .

G-Man67
01-04-2012, 10:07 AM
yes the old FB dive is what has prevented us from scoring 40 / game ... KG!!!! how could you!!!!!

BlueJayC
01-04-2012, 10:13 AM
The Hynoski play action flat dump off should be this team's staple on 3rd-1, 4th-1 and goalline. PA to Jacobs......it would work EVERY TIME......if not than fleet footed Eli could just scramble for it....easy pick-up.

repeatchamps
01-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I was talking about this yesterday with a co-worker who is a Packer fan. I told him I wish the Giants would give Hynoski a shot in some short-yardage/goaline situations like GB does with Kuhn. Hynoski was actively involved in the game Sunday night and I felt that would have been a good time to give it a try. Giants used it a lot in their history. Guys like Carthon, Way and Comellawere very productive in those situations. It is a part of the Giants offensivetradition that has been completely removed since Coughlin came here. It surprises me a bit as Coughlin was the WR coach under Parcells and knows this well. It'd be nice if he told Gilbride to add that wrinkle once in awhile.

MikeIsaGiant
01-04-2012, 10:29 AM
I was talking about this yesterday with a co-worker who is a Packer fan. I told him I wish the Giants would give Hynoski a shot in some short-yardage/goaline situations like GB does with Kuhn. Hynoski was actively involved in the game Sunday night and I felt that would have been a good time to give it a try. Giants used it a lot in their history. Guys like Carthon, Way and Comella*were very productive in those situations. It is a part of the Giants offensive*tradition that has been completely removed since Coughlin came here. It surprises me a bit as Coughlin was the WR coach under Parcells and knows this well. It'd be nice if he told Gilbride to add that wrinkle once in awhile.

+1 I agree, these guys are huge and get us nice yardage, use them are on the 3rd and 1, I'm telling you 8-9/10 times they'll convert

Firenugget
01-04-2012, 10:35 AM
yes the old FB dive is what has prevented us from scoring 40 / game ... KG!!!! how could you!!!!!
Stop making sense. You'll spook the locals.

chasjay
01-04-2012, 12:04 PM

running short of people to vent on, are you?

chasjay
01-04-2012, 12:04 PM

NY_Eli
01-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Not sure why we don't give it to Bradshaw on 3rd and short. I feel like he picks it up much more often than Jacobs does.

LT_was_good
01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Shotgun, roll left, 5-yard out to Cruz is my new favorite short yardage play.

TrueBlue@NYC
01-04-2012, 12:53 PM
We definitly need to do better in those 3rd &amp; 4th and 1 scenarios. It's a travesty that we go shotgun on 3rd and 1 most of the time. We NEVER playaction on 3rd and short. </P>

It's either shotgun pass or we line up big and try a run off the tackle. Which almost never works. </P>

Giving it to Hynokski on a quick hand off up the middle, playaction rollout out of a big formation, playaction out of the shotgun formation. All things I'd like to see added to our arsenal in those situations. </P>

G-Man67
01-04-2012, 12:54 PM

it's not venting when it's factual ... Vonta Leach is one of, if not, the best FB in the game and for his career he has 15 ATT for 38 yards

so at least do a little research before trashing our coaching staff

TrueBlue@NYC
01-04-2012, 12:58 PM

it's not venting when it's factual ... Vonta Leach is one of, if not, the best FB in the game and for his career he has 15 ATT for 38 yards

KG is a great OC, and definitly runs our offense well. But you'd be fooling yourself if you didn't agree that our conversion rate on 3rd and 4th and short distances is abysmal. What we've been doing so far hasn't worked great, so to suggest adding different things isn't being stupid.

</P>

TrueBlue07
01-04-2012, 12:59 PM

so at least do a little research before trashing our coaching staff</p>

</p>

That's a 2.5 YPC avg, how does that help your argument that running the play on 3rd/4th &amp; 1 is a bad idea?
</p>

G-Man67
01-04-2012, 01:05 PM

KG is a great OC, and definitly runs our offense well. But you'd be fooling yourself if you didn't agree that our conversion rate on 3rd and 4th and short distances is abysmal. What we've been doing so far hasn't worked great, so to suggest adding different things isn't being stupid.

*</P>

the answer is a healthy Ahmad Bradshaw, our best RB and for our O-line to win the physical battle ... when people start suggesting we hand the ball to a blocker and call our coaches dumb, well that doesn't sit well with maybe as a diehard fan of the team

but again, like anything, it is more complicated than that ... if it's Brandon's series to be out there, do you pull him on 3rd and short ... he's a proud man ... i personally would pull him for Bradshaw, but i'm sure Jacobs would be up in my grill telling me he could have converted it

TrueBlue07
01-04-2012, 01:10 PM

</p>

</p>

</p>

the answer is a healthy Ahmad Bradshaw, our best RB and for our O-line to win the physical battle ... when people start suggesting we hand the ball to a blocker and call our coaches dumb, well that doesn't sit well with maybe as a diehard fan of the team

but again, like anything, it is more complicated than that ... if it's Brandon's series to be out there, do you pull him on 3rd and short ... he's a proud man ... i personally would pull him for Bradshaw, but i'm sure Jacobs would be up in my grill telling me he could have converted it</p>

</p>

They pulling Jacobs for Bradshaw a few years ago, I don't remember the results being that much different, but I do believe they were better. But you're right, it's about 75% line blocking, 25% RB in the 3rd/4th &amp; short situations. I like Bradshaw out there better because he can make something out of nothing better than Jacobs can.
</p>

G-Man67
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM

</p>

That's a 2.5 YPC avg, how does that help your argument that running the play on 3rd/4th & 1 is a bad idea?
</p>

Leach has played 108 games in the NFL and only carried it 15 times ... that's like 2 times a season!!! and he is arguably the best FB

please tell me this is not coming from the game Madden?

NFL FBs are paid to BLOCK, not run, after blocking pass catching is 2nd most important, b/c they can sneak out in the flat and are generally not accounted for ... if my OC is handing the ball to Henry Hynoski and not my stud starting RB Ahmad Bradshaw, then that's when people should have an issue ... listen our O-line has not gotten it done run blocking this year and that is unfortunate but if you think the FB dive is the answer, then you are sorely mistaken

TroyArcher
01-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I was talking about this yesterday with a co-worker who is a Packer fan. I told him I wish the Giants would give Hynoski a shot in some short-yardage/goaline situations like GB does with Kuhn. Hynoski was actively involved in the game Sunday night and I felt that would have been a good time to give it a try. Giants used it a lot in their history. Guys like Carthon, Way and Comellawere very productive in those situations. It is a part of the Giants offensivetradition that has been completely removed since Coughlin came here. It surprises me a bit as Coughlin was the WR coach under Parcells and knows this well. It'd be nice if he told Gilbride to add that wrinkle once in awhile. +1 I agree, these guys are huge and get us nice yardage, use them are on the 3rd and 1, I'm telling you 8-9/10 times they'll convert</P>

</P>

I though Comella played for Coughlin? Hedge**** had hands of stone hwich was probably why it was noy used much during his tenure. I like the flat pass to Hynoski. Another option for Eli. I would like to see Bradshaw in on short yardage plays, quick hitters. </P>

TrueBlue07
01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
No one is saying that this is THE play they need to run. The point is they have not been successful running the ball up the gut on short yardage. This is one of a few options that could be given a shot. What do they have to lose? Their set plays aren't working anyway. Allstot made a pretty good career out of getting 1-2 yard touchdown runs lol.

Point is what they're doing right now is not working for a few reasons so why not switch it up rather than do the same thing & expect different results?

pino
01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
You know our line needs to step up when we are asking for more quick handoffs to the FB. :D

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-04-2012, 01:34 PM
the bottom line is...LOL...sorry...

love that line...

ANyways, like I said many times before...If our OL doesnt get a push, no RB/FB is going anywhere...Maybe that should have sub packages on short situations where they bring in Petrus and put Boothe at center.

Think outside the box ya know?
doubt it but who knows

repeatchamps
01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I was talking about this yesterday with a co-worker who is a Packer fan. I told him I wish the Giants would give Hynoski a shot in some short-yardage/goaline situations like GB does with Kuhn. Hynoski was actively involved in the game Sunday night and I felt that would have been a good time to give it a try. Giants used it a lot in their history. Guys like Carthon, Way and Comellawere very productive in those situations. It is a part of the Giants offensivetradition that has been completely removed since Coughlin came here. It surprises me a bit as Coughlin was the WR coach under Parcells and knows this well. It'd be nice if he told Gilbride to add that wrinkle once in awhile. +1 I agree, these guys are huge and get us nice yardage, use them are on the 3rd and 1, I'm telling you 8-9/10 times they'll convert</P>

</P>

I though Comella played for Coughlin? Hedge**** had hands of stone hwich was probably why it was noy used much during his tenure. I like the flat pass to Hynoski. Another option for Eli. I would like to see Bradshaw in on short yardage plays, quick hitters. </P>

</P>

Comellaplayed for Fassel. Jim Finn then Hedge**** andnow Hynoskihave beenwith Coughlin.</P>

chasjay
01-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Did you even read my question before you replied? I never slighted the coaching staff and I have no intentions of slighting you. I'm talking about picking up maybe 5 or 6 first downs a season. And I happen to be one who is not after KG's scalp. Good Day!
</p>

nygsb42champs
01-04-2012, 02:01 PM
It certainly cant hurt to give it a try.