PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't We Return Kicks?

NobodyMan
01-04-2012, 12:35 PM
It seems like week after week, when the other team punts or kicks off, I hold my breath and just hope something bad like a fumble or the return man running east-west or a penalty doesn't happen. I've totally given up hope that somebody will break one for a TD - I'd be happy with a punt return that's more than 15 yards, or a kickoff return that's more than 30. But it never happens.

This team has played 16 games and is about to play its 17th, and they couldn't find a player or devise a scheme to make the return game decent? I don't get it. I can't remember the last punt return for a TD or kickoff return for a TD.

RagTime Blue
01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm sure you're aware of this, but there's more touchbacks than ever because the league moved kickoffs up 5 yards this season.

What nobody talks about is that coverage is 5 yards closer to the receiver as well, and so when someone runs back a kick from two yards deep, it's not like running one back last year from the same spot. . .coverage is RIGHT THERE.

If you're asking why other teams break off huge runs (do they?) and we don't, then I'm at a loss, sorry.

TuckYou
01-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Tom Quinn is a horrible STs coach. We finally have a descent coverage team, but our blocking team is horrible. And our returners keep muffing kicks.

pino
01-04-2012, 12:54 PM
I think it was Deion Sanders that said over the weekend, "That's why they are not starters."

nihan87
01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
This is the first time in awhile I have NOT held my breath on punts or kick offs. Blackmon does well back there and JJ finally has started getting some good runs on kick offs. ST has been playing well this year, I don't get this thread. </P>

And the last time there was a punt return was Hixon a few years back. </P>

TroyArcher
01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
It seems like week after week, when the other team punts or kicks off, I hold my breath and just hope something bad like a fumble or the return man running east-west or a penalty doesn't happen. I've totally given up hope that somebody will break one for a TD - I'd be happy with a punt return that's more than 15 yards, or a kickoff return that's more than 30. But it never happens.

This team has played 16 games and is about to play its 17th, and they couldn't find a player or devise a scheme to make the return game decent? I don't get it. I can't remember the last punt return for a TD or kickoff return for a TD.
</P>

</P>

Dominick Hixon is a very good return guy but he just can't stay healthy. I haven't seen anyone else that fits the bill. </P>

Mercury
01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I thought JJ looked pretty good the past two weeks. Moreso, in the Jets game than vs. the 'boys.

BlueJayC
01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
The Giants have the worst special teams coach in the league (Quinn).......and have had him for awhile......

BigBluePoint
01-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Jernigan will be our man. The guy has great talent. All he needs is more confidence and time. Both will come. Trust me, he can be a lethal weapon!

lnp12
01-05-2012, 01:03 AM
I don't necessarily hold my breath, but I know not to get excited. I've gotten very used to us starting the ball at the 20, and know not to expect anything more. I have always wondered why we never seem to get an amazing return, but I'd rather have a decent return than a muffed or fumbled one.