PDA

View Full Version : Watching JPP,TUCK and OSI

Dorothy
01-04-2012, 02:13 PM
On the field together reminds me of LT, Banks and Carson of the 80' team. GO BIG BLUE

Dwinsballgames
01-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Don't forget Kiwi...Gary Reasons?

JMFP2
01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Don't forget Kiwi...Gary Reasons?

Exactly....Kiwi was a stud v. the Cowboys. He was a huge factor in shutting down their running game.

fansince69
01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
On the field together reminds me of LT, Banks and Carson of the 80' team. GO BIG BLUE

WHY?sorry I do not see it...those are 3 of the greatest linebackers in giants history...2/3 hall of fame.....Osi is a selfish head case Tuck is good not great and Jpp is still too young to know yet

No disrespect I am just not sure I see the correlation

Giantsin04
01-04-2012, 02:41 PM

WHY?sorry I do not see it...those are 3 of the greatest linebackers in giants history...2/3 hall of fame.....Osi is a selfish head case** Tuck is good not great and Jpp is still too young to know yet

Osi and Tuck have 1 less superbowl trophy in their case than that bunch. No one will ever be LT, Banks and Carson to me, but Tuck and Osi's contributions to this organization should not be dismissed.

embeshAtYa
01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
defensive players on the field at one time that can make big plays. same thing.

fansince69
01-04-2012, 02:50 PM

WHY?sorry I do not see it...those are 3 of the greatest linebackers in giants history...2/3 hall of fame.....Osi is a selfish head case Tuck is good not great and Jpp is still too young to know yet

Osi and Tuck have 1 less superbowl trophy in their case than that bunch. No one will ever be LT, Banks and Carson to me, but Tuck and Osi's contributions to this organization should not be dismissed.

I am in no way dismissing their contributions....I just don't see the correlation other than 3 defensive players....they don't even play the same positions....all I want is an explanation.....By this logic I can say Grant Phillips and Webster remind me of Taylor Banks Carson?

Coach Carter
01-04-2012, 02:59 PM

Wow, excellent comparison, if you look at it Reese just changed the emphasis from linebackers to defensive end. Actually, Osi and Tuck can play 3-4 outside linebacker and Kiwi IS playing a 4-3 outside linebacker (off of the line with run and pass responsibilities).

Giants' fans are so used to having a great linebacker core (with an average front three) that they have failed to see to that Reese has built a great defensive line core with average linebackers - still a dominant front seven, just in different areas.

In this version of the NFL a great linebacker core is not that important because only two of them would be on the field for most plays (if you ran a 4-3). Look at how the Patriots have made the Steelers linebackers useless by staying in a spread formation.

nihan87
01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Don't forget Kiwi...Gary Reasons? Exactly....Kiwi was a stud v. the Cowboys. He was a huge factor in shutting down their running game.</P>

</P>

How sick was it when he blew up that play and almost got to Romo? And ****, almost blocked that punt! I loved seeing him on the line with Tuck JPP and Osi! The Krakken has risen! </P>

jhamburg
01-04-2012, 03:03 PM

WHY?sorry I do not see it...those are 3 of the greatest linebackers in giants history...2/3 hall of fame.....Osi is a selfish head case** Tuck is good not great and Jpp is still too young to know yet

I am in no way dismissing their contributions....I just don't see the correlation other than 3 defensive players....they don't even play the same positions....all I want is an explanation.....By this logic I can say Grant Phillips and Webster remind me of Taylor Banks Carson?

Except that 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE are almost the same position, and Cornerback has absolutely nothing to do with either...

fansince69
01-04-2012, 03:07 PM

Except that 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE are almost the same position, and Cornerback has absolutely nothing to do with either...

hmmm...Is Carson a 3/4 olb or a 4/3 de?

simms56
01-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Wow, excellent comparison, if you look at it Reese just changed the emphasis from linebackers to defensive end. Actually, Osi and Tuck can play 3-4 outside linebacker and Kiwi IS playing a 4-3 outside linebacker (off of the line with run and pass responsibilities).

Giants' fans are so used to having a great linebacker core (with an average front three) that they have failed to see to that Reese has built a great defensive line core with average linebackers - still a dominant front seven, just in different areas.

In this version of the NFL a great linebacker core is not that important because only two of them would be on the field for most plays (if you ran a 4-3). Look at how the Patriots have made the Steelers linebackers useless by staying in a spread formation.

Did you seriously call a team that has been rated at the bottom of the NFL in defense all year a "dominant front seven" and allow a comparison to one of the top 5 defenses in the history of football?

fansince69
01-04-2012, 04:54 PM

Did you seriously call a team that has been rated at the bottom of the NFL in defense all year a "dominant front seven" and allow a comparison to one of the top 5 defenses in the history of football?

In a round about way ...not trying to offend anyone.....this is what I was Implying.

simms56
01-04-2012, 04:58 PM
I'll always watch and root for the Giants but, regardless of the semantics of respective positions, any comparison between this defense and the Giants defense of the mid 80's is beyond absurd. The last three years the Giants D has been among the worst of any team I have ever seen in nearly 40 years of watching football. When they get a team in a position of 3rd and 19 is it more likely for a 1st down or a punt? The Giants D of the mid 80's is among the top 3-4 I have ever seen. There is not even a remote comparison, no matter how much I love watching JPP.

Coach Carter
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM

There are two ways to look at stats, you can look at the overall average or you can look at what is trending. If you look at how the Giants defense played the last two game you will see signs of dominance. Also, the great 80's defenses can never exist again with the changes to the rules, so you have to look at the stats differently.

KidA
01-04-2012, 07:05 PM

Did you just get here in a time machine or something?

FIFTY6G-MAN
01-04-2012, 07:52 PM

Osi and Tuck have 1 less superbowl trophy in their case than that bunch. No one will ever be LT, Banks and Carson to me, but Tuck and Osi's contributions to this organization should not be dismissed.Cant compare apples to oranges here. those named on the prior Giants teams including Reasons were in a league of their own back then and all were great....todays game has WAY more passing and gives more opportunities to sack but the rules slow them down. So when LT states he would love to play with our players now he has really stated that the game is more his style and he respects our players today since the rules have gone against a great D and have moved over to a higher scoring game in which a D player cant really play his game only rush the QB decision. Hit the qb and get flagged. UGH!!! terrible call for fans but generates high scoring revenue for the No Fun League