PDA

View Full Version : Player vs Player Giants/Falcons Comparison

giantsfan420
01-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Figured with the game right around the corner, I'd post a player by player comparison and see how the rest of you guys feel, maybe it'd give us some insight into Sundays game. I'll start it off with the QB and RB position, and then whoever wants can do whatever player vs player you'd like.

QB Manning vs. Ryan

Although Ryan is a solid, good QB, I don't know if I can give him the edge over Eli. Nor do I think I'd consider it a draw. Ryan is young, and from what I've seen from him, he can make all the throws.
That said, I feel Eli can do anything Ryan can do, but his clutch ability puts him over the top. Eli has shown remarkable pocket presence this season, and has been exceptionally accurate. Clutchness aside, I still feel Eli has been more accurate not only on the long ball, where he is statistically the best, but on the short to intermediate routes. He's leading the WR's into space. I also feel Eli has a stronger arm. Plus, Ryan is 0-2 in the playoffs, and while Eli is 4-3 and has struggled in the playoffs except in 2007, he still has gotten it done before. (Keep in mind, while I am trying to be objective, I'm a huge Eli homer.)
Edge: Eli Manning

RB Turner vs. Jacobs/Bradshaw

I have to give the edge to Turner here. He is almost a combination of what Jacobs and Bradshaw do. He can be a power back, but he can also be deceptively quick and elusive. Statistically he is superior as well, by a lot. But, you have to consider that Jacobs/Bradshaw are a duo, and as a unit, I feel two heads are better than one. Still though, with our run game struggling, I have to give the nod to Turner, even though he has somewhat struggled in the last quarter of the season.

NYGRealityCheck
01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Ryan vs. Giants' ferocious pass rush.
Game over. Giants Win

giantsfan420
01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Game over. Giants Win

not exactly what I was looking for but ok. How would you break down

JPP vs Abraham

Breezely
01-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I believe the old saying "game is won in the trenches". If that's the case, I would like to think the Giants have the edge.

Secondaries. I believe they are probably even. Only because the Giants sometimes seem confused in the secondary.

For some reason, I cannot see Turner getting his runs on the Giants.

NYGRealityCheck
01-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Game over. Giants Win

JPP vs Abraham

16.5 sacks, 86 sacks and at least 1 blocked FG vs. 9.5 sacks, 35 tackles

JPP- relentless motor, gets after the QB, RB, WR, even the Field Goal kicker. Whoever has the football, JPP is coming for you all 60 minutes.

Abraham- I only remeber him when he was playing as a Jet, which was a while ago. So at least a decent pass rusher...

gmen0820
01-04-2012, 10:20 PM
QB Manning vs. Ryan

Although Ryan is a solid, good QB, I don't know if I can give him the edge over Eli. Nor do I think I'd consider it a draw. Ryan is young, and from what I've seen from him, he can make all the throws.
That said, I feel Eli can do anything Ryan can do, but his clutch ability puts him over the top. Eli has shown remarkable pocket presence this season, and has been exceptionally accurate. Clutchness aside, I still feel Eli has been more accurate not only on the long ball, where he is statistically the best, but on the short to intermediate routes. He's leading the WR's into space. I also feel Eli has a stronger arm. (Keep in mind, while I am trying to be objective, I'm a huge Eli homer.)

Almost agree. I give Ryan the edge in the intermediate route range and accuracy, but I give an extremely (can't stress this enough) huge edge to Eli in the deep passing department. In fact, I'd go as far as to say Ryan is one of the worst deep passers I have seen in a while. I'd also say it is a tie in terms of clutch performances. They are both extremely capable and fairly even in my mind. Ryan had 6 4QC and GWD last year just as Eli did this year.

Overall edge though, Eli.

giantsfan420
01-04-2012, 10:29 PM
QB Manning vs. Ryan

That said, I feel Eli can do anything Ryan can do, but his clutch ability puts him over the top. Eli has shown remarkable pocket presence this season, and has been exceptionally accurate. Clutchness aside, I still feel Eli has been more accurate not only on the long ball, where he is statistically the best, but on the short to intermediate routes. He's leading the WR's into space. I also feel Eli has a stronger arm. (Keep in mind, while I am trying to be objective, I'm a huge Eli homer.)

Almost agree. I give Ryan the edge in the intermediate route range and accuracy, but I give an extremely (can't stress this enough) huge edge to Eli in the deep passing department. In fact, I'd go as far as to say Ryan is one of the worst deep passers I have seen in a while. I'd also say it is a tie in terms of clutch performances. They are both extremely capable and fairly even in my mind. Ryan had 6 4QC and GWD last year just as Eli did this year.

def. can see where ur coming from. i'd agree that short to intermediate range Ryan is good, and Eli prior to this year wouldn't match him. But this year, it seems like every pass Eli is right on the money. Even his drop back seems quicker and more efficient.

I really respect your player analysis. Care to take one on? Like maybe Roddy White vs Nicks or JPP vs Abraham? Anyone actually.

giantsfan420
01-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Game over. Giants Win

JPP vs Abraham

16.5 sacks, 86 sacks and at least 1 blocked FG vs. 9.5 sacks, 35 tackles

JPP- relentless motor, gets after the QB, RB, WR, even the Field Goal kicker. Whoever has the football, JPP is coming for you all 60 minutes.

Abraham- I only remeber him when he was playing as a Jet, which was a while ago. So at least a decent pass rusher...

nice. thank you. anyone else want to take on a player vs player matchup? Nicks vs White, Cruz vs Jones, Webster vs Grimes, etc. etc.

edit- I'll try and focus on Abraham

Has a terrific bull rush move, he lines up as the defensive RE, but can also move around and play LE. He has a quick burst off the line. He also likes to try and strip the ball from the QB. He had a 3 sack game vs Jax, and although Jax has struggled, Abraham played like a man possessed. If he isn't double teamed or chipped, Abraham can eat up 1 on 1 matchups.

I don't know, Abraham has the experience, and definitely has talent. But based on this year alone, what JPP has done is phenomenal.

Edge: JPP

Breezely
01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Full backs:

I believe the Falcons fullback is injured and very much missed.
Hynoski (Hynocerus) is really coming along strong. He is starting to look like his highlight film from college

giantsfan420
01-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Full backs:

Hynoski (Hynocerus) is really coming along strong. He is starting to look like his highlight film from college

agreed about Hynoski. He's displaying his hands, but also it seems he's not trying to do as much and just focus on his block and technique, which seems to have helped tremendously. I remember after a game he did will, he said before he was trying to do too much and he was overwhelmed, and that when he just focused on his job and his block, he was able to be more successful.

Don't know who to give the edge to, I think the Falcons actually have a very good fb, like a guy name Maluluga or something. Not sure, can't give an edge on way or the other.

gmen0820
01-04-2012, 10:54 PM
QB Manning vs. Ryan

def. can see where ur coming from. i'd agree that short to intermediate range Ryan is good, and Eli prior to this year wouldn't match him. But this year, it seems like every pass Eli is right on the money. Even his drop back seems quicker and more efficient.

I really respect your player analysis. Care to take one on? Like maybe Roddy White vs Nicks or JPP vs Abraham? Anyone actually.No prob I have to finish something first.

gmen0820
01-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Victor Cruz vs. any wide receiver in the league, production wise, I'm willing to say that Cruz is the best in the league. Here you have a kid who is 27th (think about that) in the league in snaps where he runs a route. I'll explain that, only 497 snaps of his were pass plays, so that excludes run plays where he is in to block. He is 27th in the league with that number of routes ran. Then, you take into consideration that about 25% of those snaps, Eli targeted him (121 targets which puts him tied for 11th in the league). Here is the shocker, Cruz is third in the league in receiving yards. Every guy, well, the two players ahead of Cruz which is Calvin Johnson and Wes Welker have 189 and 104 more routes ran, respectively, and 30 and 48 more targets, respectively. IN ADDITION to this, he has a 50+% deep passing catch rate, which is the best in the league.

This makes Cruz the most productive receiver in terms of his percentage of body of work. In addition to this, we are all first hand witnesses to Cruz's incredible body control, ball skills, and other countless measurables.

So you can compare that to any Falcon receiver, or any receiver in the league. Just incredible what this kid has done for us.

jjj45
01-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Victor Cruz vs. any wide receiver in the league, production wise, I'm willing to say that Cruz is the best in the league. Here you have a kid who is 27th (think about that) in the league in snaps where he runs a route. I'll explain that, only 497 snaps of his were pass plays, so that excludes run plays where he is in to block. He is 27th in the league with that number of routes ran. Then, you take into consideration that about 25% of those snaps, Eli targeted him (121 targets which puts him tied for 11th in the league). Here is the shocker, Cruz is third in the league in receiving yards. Every guy, well, the two players ahead of Cruz which is Calvin Johnson and Wes Welker have 189 and 104 more routes ran, respectively, and 30 and 48 more targets, respectively. IN ADDITION to this, he has a 50+% deep passing catch rate, which is the best in the league.

This makes Cruz the most productive receiver in terms of his percentage of body of work. In addition to this, we are all first hand witnesses to Cruz's incredible body control, ball skills, and other countless measurables.

So you can compare that to any Falcon receiver, or any receiver in the league. Just incredible what this kid has done for us.And then we have Nicks. Ha

gmen0820
01-05-2012, 12:14 AM

So you can compare that to any Falcon receiver, or any receiver in the league. Just incredible what this kid has done for us.And then we have Nicks. Ha
Not bad, not bad

jjj45
01-05-2012, 12:16 AM

Not bad, not badBest one-two in the league.

dave56dj
01-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Gmnen while I agree with many of your stats on cruz you are leaving out something very important - many teams have yet to gameplan for him - since he BURST onto the scene unexpectedly. Roddy White saw and still see's many double coverages (less and less with jones starting to become great too) while cruz has only gotten a taste in recent weeks (and has still performed well - but again only a couple weeks).

White and Junes are physical specimens - especially jones. And while someone said Ryan has trouble with the deep ball he and Jones may be the best deep combo in the league - STAFFORD Megatron up there as well.

Another quick nitpick - YOU HAVE TO GIVE the edge on clutch to ELI - sorry but he has the all time record for 4th qrtr touchdowns. And more td's thrown with less then 5 minutes to play then anyone since 1970. Ryan is very good Eli has been GREAT.

420 I love the matchup breakdwon - many sites do it and it is fun - but i always think why do this - these guys dont play each other - why not match up the players vs the defenders they may see? No?

Sorry if im being a crumudgeon.

gmen0820
01-05-2012, 12:19 AM

There is no doubt in my mind. Eli-Nicks-Cruz have been the best 1-2-3 in the league this year. That is why we are so dangerous in the playoffs.

jjj45
01-05-2012, 12:27 AM

There is no doubt in my mind. Eli-Nicks-Cruz have been the best 1-2-3 in the league this year. That is why we are so dangerous in the playoffs.All hail the E-N-C!

gmen0820
01-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Gmnen while I agree with many of your stats on cruz you are leaving out something very important - many teams have yet to gameplan for him - since he BURST onto the scene unexpectedly. Roddy White saw and still see's many double coverages (less and less with jones starting to become great too) while cruz has only gotten a taste in recent weeks (and has still performed well - but again only a couple weeks).

White and Junes are physical specimens - especially jones. And while someone said Ryan has trouble with the deep ball he and Jones may be the best deep combo in the league - STAFFORD Megatron up there as well.

Another quick nitpick - YOU HAVE TO GIVE the edge on clutch to ELI - sorry but he has the all time record for 4th qrtr touchdowns. And more td's thrown with less then 5 minutes to play then anyone since 1970. Ryan is very good Eli has been GREAT.

420 I love the matchup breakdwon - many sites do it and it is fun - but i always think why do this - these guys dont play each other - why not match up the players vs the defenders they may see? No?

Sorry if im being a crumudgeon.There is no way I put Ryan to Jones anywhere near the best deep combo in the league. Jones has been nothing special down the field in the first place. 8 catches, 2 drops, 22 targets. Ryan rarely looks downfield anyway.

As for Cruz, he has bursted on to the scene but that was week 3 vs Philly and if anything, the same rules apply to Jones who is a rookie this year.

And the reason I don't give the clutch award outright to Eli is because it's not something that can be measured as easily like other stats. Percentages can account a lot for things such as accuracy and yards per attempt etc etc. but when Eli Manning and Matt Ryan have 9 and 12 4QC/GWD the past three years, I know both are very capable, Ryan has done it more in a 3 year scale. I can't just give it outright and it really is too close to call. Eli is money in the 4th quarter this year and Ryan has produced more 4QC/GWD the past three years.

dave56dj
01-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Trust that JOnes runs a mean fly pattern - but im ok with your arguments.

While cruz busted out week 3 im not so sure the league was on alert - I think the doubles started at best against the jets. It takes time for the league to catch up and realize it. Also many of his TD's or big plays looked like they were on flukey missed tackles or ridiculous catches - now we are learning they were no flukes Cruz was making that happen all by his lonesome.

gmen0820
01-05-2012, 12:58 AM

He does. I can see it hurting us this week of Antrel Rolle has any responsibility on Jones or the deep man. KP is one of the best deep safeties in the league. He is one of the best safeties this year in the league period. Our defense has so many miscues without him and just a few with him.

KP's success as a deep safety coupled with Ryans reluctance to do anything past 20 yards really makes me feel good about our D's ability to make Atlanta earn their TDs this week. I'm sure Fewell has recognized this and I expect plenty of blitz and pressure this week. What teams have we for the most part sent the most heat against? Well, the Patriots, Dolphins, Packers, Bills and the Jets? Coincidence that Brady, Moore, Rodgers, Fitzpatrick and Sanchez all have low attempts down field? I don't think so. I've actually been looking at this trend for a while, and I think it is pretty conclusive. Brees is one of those QBs who has been dominant downfield. He dominated us. I'd expect that if we played the Panthers, they would demoralize us. Newton, Brees are great downfield passers. We would play soft against them.

That's why we can realistically beat Atl, GB and San Fran. NO, it would be tricky.

giantsfan420
01-05-2012, 01:32 AM

So you can compare that to any Falcon receiver, or any receiver in the league. Just incredible what this kid has done for us.

you really are EXCELLENT in stuff like this. well done man. there is no doubting your football intelligence.

amazing what cruz has done. its that fight in him. i think that not getting drafted, supposedly "barely" making our team bc of that jets preseason game, coming into this year he said he "just wanted to make one meaningful catch in a real game" has fueled his focus and desire. He never takes a play off. and that brilliant writing i quoted proves it.

remember too, this kid is young, and somewhat raw. he has done what he's done this year thanks to his skill and talent. granted he had a qb to help him a lot, cruz is the definition of heart.

great post man.

giantsfan420
01-05-2012, 01:34 AM

Sorry if im being a crumudgeon.

good point about the matchup breakdowns, i'd enjoy seeing what you could come up with. feel free to take this thread in whatever direction you see fit, as long as it gives us an idea of whats to come sunday

giantsfan420
01-05-2012, 01:38 AM

He does. I can see it hurting us this week of Antrel Rolle has any responsibility on Jones or the deep man. KP is one of the best deep safeties in the league. He is one of the best safeties this year in the league period. Our defense has so many miscues without him and just a few with him.

KP's success as a deep safety coupled with Ryans reluctance to do anything past 20 yards really makes me feel good about our D's ability to make Atlanta earn their TDs this week. I'm sure Fewell has recognized this and I expect plenty of blitz and pressure this week. What teams have we for the most part sent the most heat against? Well, the Patriots, Dolphins, Packers, Bills and the Jets? Coincidence that Brady, Moore, Rodgers, Fitzpatrick and Sanchez all have low attempts down field? I don't think so. I've actually been looking at this trend for a while, and I think it is pretty conclusive. Brees is one of those QBs who has been dominant downfield. He dominated us. I'd expect that if we played the Panthers, they would demoralize us. Newton, Brees are great downfield passers. We would play soft against them.

That's why we can realistically beat Atl, GB and San Fran. NO, it would be tricky.

nice post, i agree about phillips. some people say he's been "avg" this year and thats being kind to whats been said about him. he takes away the deep ball so well, he covers a tremendous amount of ground back there, which is why when teams do try and challenge him downfield, he's either making a good play on the wr, or ball and gets an int.

about the eli vs ryan clutchness tho, while ryan may have had that for the past three years, you have to take in account a couple things. in 09 im sure eli led some great comebacks, the SD game comes to mind right away, only for the d to give up the lead in the closing minutes.
also, lets not forget about the stage. eli's done the impossible in the biggest of stages; the super bowl. don't know if that can be discounted when comparing eli and ryan in terms of clutchness.

gmen0820
01-05-2012, 08:08 AM

you really are EXCELLENT in stuff like this. well done man. there is no doubting your football intelligence.

amazing what cruz has done. its that fight in him. i think that not getting drafted, supposedly "barely" making our team bc of that jets preseason game, coming into this year he said he "just wanted to make one meaningful catch in a real game" has fueled his focus and desire. He never takes a play off. and that brilliant writing i quoted proves it.

remember too, this kid is young, and somewhat raw. he has done what he's done this year thanks to his skill and talent. granted he had a qb to help him a lot, cruz is the definition of heart.

great post man.Thanks a lot man. Cruz has been so good this year. Best WR I have seen wear blue. He gives this team a magical feel I can't help to feel like were going far in the playoffs or soon.

giantsfan420
01-05-2012, 03:47 PM

great post man.Thanks a lot man. Cruz has been so good this year. Best WR I have seen wear blue. He gives this team a magical feel I can't help to feel like were going far in the playoffs or soon.

i drool over what he'll be next season after a full offseason of getting coached on technique, working with eli daily, really refining his play and working on things. guy is so raw, we forget that, but his play and talent is amazing. the way he sets himself up to make those tough catches.

that catch in double coverage in the 3rd quarter, it was like a post to the sidelines and eli put it right there for him and he snatched it perfectly. that catch, although didnt go for a touchdown or isnt focused on by anyone really, represents his skill. that was not an easy catch. double coverage, got position, found the ball, and snatched it.

hopefully we get that 3rd WR set, whether it be MM or my hope a healthy steve smith. i know, not trying to bring that into play, im just saying if we can get MM to reach his potential or another wr to compliment nicks and cruz, we'll be DEADLY on offense

Gonzo88
01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Full backs:

agreed about Hynoski. He's displaying his hands, but also it seems he's not trying to do as much and just focus on his block and technique, which seems to have helped tremendously. I remember after a game he did will, he said before he was trying to do too much and he was overwhelmed, and that when he just focused on his job and his block, he was able to be more successful.

Don't know who to give the edge to, I think the Falcons actually have a very good fb, like a guy name Maluluga or something. Not sure, can't give an edge on way or the other.

Mughelli was put on IR 4 weeks into the season the FB is now Sneiling who is a decent rb and is great catching the ball out of the back field.

gmen0820
01-05-2012, 04:02 PM

i drool over what he'll be next season after a full offseason of getting coached on technique, working with eli daily, really refining his play and working on things. guy is so raw, we forget that, but his play and talent is amazing. the way he sets himself up to make those tough catches.

that catch in double coverage in the 3rd quarter, it was like a post to the sidelines and eli put it right there for him and he snatched it perfectly. that catch, although didnt go for a touchdown or isnt focused on by anyone really, represents his skill. that was not an easy catch. double coverage, got position, found the ball, and snatched it.

hopefully we get that 3rd WR set, whether it be MM or my hope a healthy steve smith. i know, not trying to bring that into play, im just saying if we can get MM to reach his potential or another wr to compliment nicks and cruz, we'll be DEADLY on offenseExactly. I've been on the Smith train the moment he signed with Philly. I said he'd be awful for them and was happy they motivated us, rehabbed and paid Smith for us as well.

I know you are on that bandwagon as well, don't know from how far back. Either way, 3rd and Smith, Cruz and Nicks on the outside, which I actually think Cruz will excel is an enticing thought.

falken
01-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Ovie Mughelli, the Falcons' FB, is indeed hurt and out for the season. We do have a very underrated and versatile back-up rb in Jason Snelling who has stepped into that role.

I see this game as a great match-up. I think talent wise both teams have been somewhat of an underachiever. You guys definitely had some games that you should have won.... same as us. We both have weaknesses that can sometimes play better than expected. Even the wacky series between the two clubs doesn't make sense. Series tied at 10-10 with the road team usually winning. (I would still rather you guys be coming to our house!)

Manning -vs- Ryan:

I'm gonna tell you....I love this Matt Ryan kid. I won't even get into what a necessity it was for the Falcons to find a franchise QB after the Vick fiasco but I'm sure you can imagine. He may not have a perfect deep ball or as much zip as you would expect a NFL QB to have but he makes up for those deficiencies with smart decisions and uncanny study habits. He also gets rid of the ball quickly and sells the play-action well. Make no doubt about it. This kid is the leader of this team.

Eli Manning. The kid has demanded the respect that many didn't want to give him in the beginning. (Hoisting a Lombardi tends to do that) He's also become a legend in a city hard to win over. I went from considering Eli the 'lesser' Manning to see him mature and really become a great NFL QB. He will always be compared to Peyton and his Dad but here they sit, Peyton and Eli tied, with the only two rings at the Manning family get-togethers.

As much as I want to give Ryan credit for taking the step to the next level Eli has already visited the Promise Land in terms of this league.

Edge: Eli

DragonSoul
01-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Ovie Mughelli, the Falcons' FB, is indeed hurt and out for the season. We do have a very underrated and versatile back-up rb in Jason Snelling who has stepped into that role.

I see this game as a great match-up. I think talent wise both teams have been somewhat of an underachiever. You guys definitely had some games that you should have won.... same as us. We both have weaknesses that can sometimes play better than expected. Even the wacky series between the two clubs doesn't make sense. Series tied at 10-10 with the road team usually winning. (I would still rather you guys be coming to our house!)

Manning -vs- Ryan:

*I'm gonna tell you....I love this Matt Ryan kid. I won't even get into what a necessity it was for the Falcons to find a franchise QB after the Vick fiasco but I'm sure you can imagine. He may not have a perfect deep ball or as much zip as you would expect a NFL QB to have but he makes up for those deficiencies with smart decisions and uncanny study habits. He also gets rid of the ball quickly and sells the play-action well. Make no doubt about it. This kid is the leader of this team.

Eli Manning. The kid has demanded the respect that many didn't want to give him in the beginning. (Hoisting a Lombardi tends to do that) He's also become a legend in a city hard to win over. I went from considering Eli the 'lesser' Manning to see him mature and really become a great NFL QB. He will always be compared to Peyton and his Dad but here they sit, Peyton and Eli tied, with the only two rings at the Manning family get-togethers.

*As much as I want to give Ryan credit for taking the step to the next level Eli has already visited the Promise Land in terms of this league.

Edge: Eli

I said it fairly early that the flacons would not win with Vick (nor the eagles, and loved that they spent all that money on him), and they needed to find another QB, which I feel they did with Ryan.

Being down in GA I could not root for Atl because of Vick. That was if my NYG were out of the hunt or playoff picture.

Ryan definitely looks promising, but Eli does have the edge, and it is not to say Matt cannot take the next step. Hopefully not vs us. But with that being said I think his future looks bright. As I thought Elis did from the time we got him.