01-05-2012, 09:51 AM
gpwau

TheAnswer
01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
gpwau

you of all people lmao

Mercury
01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Sorta a random question. They are from two different eras. Back then, of course, no one knew Eli. Now, there are a lot of people who don't know who Ali is. Why even compare the two?

chasjay
01-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Eli Bombaye!!

okay folks - show your age

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Eli definitely has some rope-a-dope in him this year.

chasjay
01-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Eli definitely has some rope-a-dope in him this year.

there you go

FBomb
01-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Wow......I grew up in Louisville KY, so Ali was always HUGE when I was a kid. That being said, with the amount of media outlets today compared to then, Ali's decades away from a sport that is no where near as popular as football, I would have to go with Eli.

elismom
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
But Eli stinks. It has to be MUH ALI

jak12
01-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Eli or Snooki ... who wins?

Morehead State
01-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Eli or Snooki ... who wins?</P>

Snooki could KILL Eli in a fight.</P>

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Eli or Snooki ... who wins?

The fact that that's a legimate question today just strengthens my resolve to emigrate to Pago Pago.

bELIeve_in_Giants
01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
At one point in time, Ali was about the most famous person in the world.

GCGiant
01-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Yeah...but Eli's not done yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2eet1bttY&feature=related

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Just to echo this there was a great story about Ali ...

During the Vietnam War,. Ali refused to go over seas so he was barred from boxing in 1967. In 1970 as his case was being heard by the Supreme Court, the boxing commissions lifted his ban.

At the time he had considered retiring, stating to his manager that no one would care or even remember him anymore. His manager promptly stopped the car and asked Ali to walk one block (this was in NYC). One block later he was so mobbed by people that police had to coordinate traffic and cordon the area off.

I love Eli ... but he doesn't have that clout yet.

burier
01-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Eli Bombaye!!

Rumble In The Jungle?

I'm only 28 so it was before my time

burier
01-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Eli Bombaye!!

Rumble In The Jungle?

nygsb42champs
01-05-2012, 11:32 AM
2 totally different era's. Impossible to compare.

Providence
01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Is this serious?

Ali, not even close.

Ali was known and respected by non-sports fans. Can't say the same about Eli.

Ali changed the face of a sport. Can't say the same about Eli.

Ali was a cultural icon. Can't say the same about Eli.

Ali was a man of the people. Can't say the same about Eli.

Ali had famous TV/radio appearances in a time when less cameras were rolling. Can't say the same about Eli.

I could go on.

I love Eli and he is well liked by many, Giants fans and non-Giants fans alike. But this isn't even close if you ask me.

Also, If Ali was still fighting today he'd have his own line of clothing, an airline named after him, a reality show, a music production company, a cereal, etc., etc.

Morehead State
01-05-2012, 12:05 PM
The real question should be Eli.............or Ghandi.</P>

</P>

Thoughts?.........</P>

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 12:12 PM
The real question should be Eli.............or Ghandi.</P>

*</P>

Thoughts?.........</P>

Ghandi by TKO in the 7th.

BornLegend
01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I like threads like this... as long as people are respectful and keeps it peaceful, it draws up an interesting conversation. Talking x's and o's can sometimes get repetitive.

Anyway, I wouldn't compare Eli to Ali, I would compare him to somebody modern like Jeter. I find it funny how football is no doubt the biggest sport in this country but IMO stars from other leagues are more popular or recognized.

I think the helmets that football players wear plays a big part but I truly believe that LeBron James is a bigger star than ANYBODY in the NFL. Am I right or wrong?

Gonzo88
01-05-2012, 06:33 PM
I like threads like this... as long as people are respectful and keeps it peaceful, it draws up an interesting conversation. Talking x's and o's can sometimes get repetitive.

Anyway, I wouldn't compare Eli to Ali, I would compare him to somebody modern like Jeter. I find it funny how football is no doubt the biggest sport in this country but IMO stars from other leagues are more popular or recognized.

I think the helmets that football players wear plays a big part but I truly believe that LeBron James is a bigger star than ANYBODY in the NFL. Am I right or wrong?

The real question is X or O?

chasjay
01-05-2012, 06:35 PM

I think you are right because of the universal (well, make that international) nature of competetive basketball over American football. A lot of basketball players would probably look better in helmets.

chasjay
01-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Eli Bombaye!!

Rumble In The Jungle?

Yes, it was chanted everywhere Ali went in Zaire (the present Democratic Republic of Congo) before, and during, that fight with Foreman - "Ali Bombaye", loosely translated, meant "Kill him, Ali" - but I'm not instigating here and something like "poke him in the eye" would probably fit better for Eli

BornLegend
01-05-2012, 06:47 PM

I think you are right because of the universal (well, make that international) nature of competetive basketball over American football. A lot of basketball players would probably look better in helmets.
Not just basketball, baseball too. I think anybody outside of N.O. will run up to Jeter or A-Rod for an autograph before they run up to Drew Brees.

Gonzo88
01-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Eli Bombaye!!

What a chant this would be if all New York fans where chanting this at the stadium..... Im a falcon fan but would be jealous that Matt wasnt named Eli just to chant this lol

fansince69
01-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Just to echo this there was a great story about Ali ...

During the Vietnam War,. Ali refused to go over seas so he was barred from boxing in 1967. In 1970 as his case was being heard by the Supreme Court, the boxing commissions lifted his ban.

At the time he had considered retiring, stating to his manager that no one would care or even remember him anymore. His manager promptly stopped the car and asked Ali to walk one block (this was in NYC). One block later he was so mobbed by people that police had to coordinate traffic and cordon the area off.

I love Eli ... but he doesn't have that clout yet.

George Carlin had a funny joke about this same situation

Ali told the Government... that he would beat them up but he did not want to kill them...

The government told Ali...if you don't want to kill them we won't let you beat them up...

Roswell777
01-05-2012, 07:18 PM
I am a big fan of Ghandi. After seeing him live, he once threw a sandal into the crowd that touched my left forearm.

What on earth is gpwau?

Bluesmash
01-05-2012, 09:00 PM

How about transparent helmets?

BornLegend
01-06-2012, 12:19 AM

How about transparent helmets?Lol

jomo
01-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Who do you think is/was more popular???This is like the question who was the greater president of the US, Bill Clinton or Abraham Lincoln. Some people answer Clinton.</P>

Listen, I love Eli but Ali was the most recognized and one of the most revered athletes in the world for about 20 years. It is like comparing apples and train engines..........just not possible.</P>

burier
01-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Eli Bombaye!!

Rumble In The Jungle?

Yes, it was chanted everywhere Ali went in Zaire (the present Democratic Republic of Congo) before, and during, that fight with Foreman - "Ali Bombaye", loosely translated, meant "Kill him, Ali" - but I'm not instigating here and something like "poke him in the eye" would probably fit better for Eli

So either you and I are the oldest cats around or we're the only ones with any sense of history.

poppa smurph
01-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Who do you think is/was more popular???This is like the question who was the greater president of the US, Bill Clinton or Abraham Lincoln. Some people answer Clinton.</P>

Listen, I love Eli but Ali was the most recognized and one of the most revered athletes in the world for about 20 years. It is like comparing apples and train engines..........just not possible.</P>Lol, yeah.. At the beggining of this thread I was thinking at what point in time will they ask Eli to be the last torch bearer at the Olympics.

chasjay
01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Eli Bombaye!!

Rumble In The Jungle?

So either you and I are the oldest cats around or we're the only ones with any sense of history.

I'm on the old side - I watched Sam Huff and Jim Brown go at it on black and white TV - but I was a kid then - I want to make that clear

burier
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Eli Bombaye!!

Rumble In The Jungle?

I'm on the old side - I watched Sam Huff and Jim Brown go at it on black and white TV - but I was a kid then - I want to make that clear

Ha. I wasn't even thought of at that point.

So I got a question for you. Was Jim Brown really as good they say he was or was it the NFL hadn't yet figured out how to tackle?

myles2424
01-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Gilbert godfrey

jomo
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM

Listen, I love Eli but Ali was the most recognized and one of the most revered athletes in the world for about 20 years. It is like comparing apples and train engines..........just not possible.</P>Lol, yeah.. At the beggining of this thread I was thinking at what point in time will they ask Eli to be the last torch bearer at the Olympics.Thank you. [:)]

BlueBlitzer
01-06-2012, 07:24 PM
He was a coward refusing to serve in the Vietnam war. ( Because Muslim's believed in peace )

BornLegend
01-07-2012, 12:07 AM
He was a coward refusing to serve in the Vietnam war. ( Because Muslim's believed in peace )I can't believe you actually wrote this nonsense hours ago and people let it fly. Ali came up in a different time, I don't wanna get into details on this board but it was some very dark, ugly times. He wasn't a coward, he just stood up for what he believed in.

The way I see it, mankind is like a sponge or a computer. We soak up knowledge and over time we become much more wiser and much more advanced. It's incredible how far we came in this country since the 60's and 70's. It's a slow process but we are still learning.

You shouldn't throw dirt on an American icon like that and then ignore the reasons behind his decision... it makes you look a lil foolish and ignorant. Just my opinion. Go Giants.

B&RWarrior
01-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Asking who was more popular Eli or Ali is like asking who's more popular between J. Beiber and Michael Jackson.

And I'm 34 years old, so I'm not a old timer. The greatest boxer of all time in a global sport versus an above average American football star.

Hmmmm, who do you thinks gonna win the popularity contest?