PDA

View Full Version : Fewell Signed Through 2012

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Looks like we're stuck with Fewell for another year (ugh) barring some team being desperate enough to hire him as an HC.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=683368

FBomb
01-05-2012, 10:03 AM
huh?

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Here's the original article in the Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/01/perry-fewell-signed-through-2012

jak12
01-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Reality is, we're just gonna have to deal with Spags leading the Eagles defense next season - he will soon be the enemy

ebick
01-05-2012, 10:26 AM
As was stated in a previous thread, I don't this guarantees anything except that if the Giants dump him they still have to pay him. They didn't "just" sign him to an extensionrecently (like this week). If the defense comes out looking pourous again and the Giants decide to make a change, the fact that he "has a contract" means nothing. Ask Suebert and O'hara.

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
As was stated in a previous thread, I don't this guarantees anything except that if the Giants dump him they still have to pay him.* They didn't "just" sign him to an extension*recently (like this week). If the defense comes out looking pourous again and the Giants decide to make a change, the fact that he "has a contract" means nothing.* Ask Suebert and O'hara.

True ... he did sign the 1 year extension last year.

But his defense would have to get absolutely embarrased this week for his contract not to be honored by the Giants front office. That's just how they roll.

ebick
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
But his defense would have to get absolutely embarrased this week</P>

You say that like it's unrealistic...........lol</P>

Seriously, the 2011 Giants are "like a box of chocolates"......</P>

repeatchamps
01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Come on folksthink about how the Giants do business. They gave Fewell a contract extension last year because they don't want lame duck coaches on the staff. Guess what? After this year Fewell will again be going into a lame duck year, so no, the Giants will not necessarily honor next year's deal because the deal expires next year. I posted something similar to this in another thread about this topicyesterday:</P>

http://boards.giants.com/forums/permalink/2408294/2408356/ShowThread.aspx#2408356 (/forums/permalink/2408294/2408356/ShowThread.aspx#2408356)</P>

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 10:58 AM
But his defense would have to get absolutely embarrased this week</P>

You say that like it's unrealistic...........lol</P>

Seriously, the 2011 Giants are "like a box of chocolates"......</P>

Yeah I know.

http://inenglishpleasee.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/sad.jpg

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Come on folks*think about how the Giants do business. They gave Fewell a contract extension last year because they don't want lame duck coaches on the staff. Guess what? After this year Fewell will again be going into a lame duck year, so no, the Giants will not necessarily honor next year's deal because the deal expires next year. I posted something similar to this in another thread about this topic*yesterday:</P>

http://boards.giants.com/forums/permalink/2408294/2408356/ShowThread.aspx#2408356 (/forums/permalink/2408294/2408356/ShowThread.aspx#2408356)</P>

They generally only do that with HCs.

The lame duck rule doesn't seem to apply to coordinators (ala Tim Lewis).

But we'll see .... I hope you're right ... I don't think Fewell is a quality DC.

repeatchamps
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Come on folksthink about how the Giants do business. They gave Fewell a contract extension last year because they don't want lame duck coaches on the staff. Guess what? After this year Fewell will again be going into a lame duck year, so no, the Giants will not necessarily honor next year's deal because the deal expires next year. I posted something similar to this in another thread about this topicyesterday:</P>

They generally only do that with HCs. The lame duck rule doesn't seem to apply to coordinators (ala Tim Lewis). But we'll see .... I hope you're right ... I don't think Fewell is a quality DC.</P>

If I recall correctly, Tim Lewis was fired while still under contract. I think the same philosophy applies to the DC and OC positions as it does for HC. They did it once already with Fewell last yearso I'd expect some kind of contractual move with him again this offseason.</P>

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Come on folks*think about how the Giants do business. They gave Fewell a contract extension last year because they don't want lame duck coaches on the staff. Guess what? After this year Fewell will again be going into a lame duck year, so no, the Giants will not necessarily honor next year's deal because the deal expires next year. I posted something similar to this in another thread about this topic*yesterday:</P>

They generally only do that with HCs. The lame duck rule doesn't seem to apply to coordinators (ala Tim Lewis). But we'll see .... I hope you're right ... I don't think Fewell is a quality DC.</P>

If I recall correctly, Tim Lewis was fired while still under contract. I think the same philosophy applies to the DC and OC positions as it does for HC. They did it once already with Fewell last year*so I'd expect some kind of contractual move with him again this offseason.</P>

Possibly ... we shall see.

buddy33
01-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Why at so many down on PF? What was he supposed to do this year? How many CB's did they lose in pre season? They drafted a CB in the 1st round that may be a good one but he broke his foot. Even when they signed guys off the street that where playing good they experienced season ending injuries. He lost his starting MLB and Sintim. I know, Sintim has done nothing as a pro, but I remember Carl Banks saying he looked good in camp and at least he was not a rookie. I like Williams a lot, but he is a rookie and Blackburn was sitting home not to long ago. Tuck is only getting healthy now, and Osi missed almost half the season.

The last two weeks the defense has played a lot better. So what has happened? Tuck is healthy. So at least they have a pass rush again, but they are still limited with their secondary and MLB is still a soft part of their team.

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Why at so many down on PF? What was he supposed to do this year? How many CB's did they lose in pre season? They drafted a CB in the 1st round that may be a good one but he broke his foot. Even when they signed guys off the street that where playing good they experienced season ending injuries. He lost his starting MLB and Sintim. I know, Sintim has done nothing as a pro, but I remember Carl Banks saying he looked good in camp and at least he was not a rookie. I like Williams a lot, but he is a rookie and Blackburn was sitting home not to long ago. Tuck is only getting healthy now, and Osi missed almost half the season.

The last two weeks the defense has played a lot better. So what has happened? Tuck is healthy. So at least they have a pass rush again, but they are still limited with their secondary and MLB is still a soft part of their team.

The biggest difference in the last two weeks with Fewell's defense (other than getting Osi back) was that he cut out all of that gimmicky zone-underneath stuff and those idiot 3-man rushes.

We play a very base zone now and are getting by on sheer talent. The biggest difference? Guys aren't throwing their hands up wondering where they're supposed to be right before the opponents hike the ball.

Imagine how good our D would be if we actually had a DC with a coordinated game plan (including with injuries).

egyptian420
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

+1....People forget that when T2 and Goff were there last year and we were healthy upfront for most of the year we had the most sacks in the league and one of the best defenses....we've just had way too many injuries this year to really judge Fewel.

I think now that we're starting to get healthier up front and the young guys are becoming more familiar with the scheme, we're starting to see improvements. But guys like Ross will just get burned, you can't do anything about it and it's not Fewel's fault.

buddy33
01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Right, and maybe he couldn't do that without the pressure they have been getting the last two weeks. Before Osi came back, Tuck said he was healthy and they played better. With Osi back last week thu had an even better pass rush. So with no pressure in the QB, even when they where rushing 4, and a depleted secondary, it's possible that he had to just do the best with what he had. By the way, the defense did not lose the second Eagles game or the second Washington game.

repeatchamps
01-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Right, and maybe he couldn't do that without the pressure they have been getting the last two weeks. Before Osi came back, Tuck said he was healthy and they played better. With Osi back last week thu had an even better pass rush. So with no pressure in the QB, even when they where rushing 4, and a depleted secondary, it's possible that he had to just do the best with what he had. By the way, the defense did not lose the second Eagles game or the second Washington game.</P>

I agree and it is debatable that they didn't lose the first Redskins game either.</P>

TrueBlue@NYC
01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Unless this team makes it to at least the conference game, I say they go after Spags anyway. He's a clear upgrade at the position, and although the defense has played better the past two weeks, it doesn't make up for it being abysmal the vast majority of the season. </P>

Unless something drastic changes during the playoffs, and something will have to if this teamis going to make an impact, I see no reason why they shouldn't go for Spags if you think he's a better DC other than trying "not to look bad". </P>

buddy33
01-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm not saying he is perfect, but is been a tough year with injuries. Didn't someone post that the injuries the Giants have suffered are the 3rd worst ever? Something about the only two teams ever hit harder where the 0-16 Lions and a bad Bills team.

What if TT and Witherspoon did not both tear their ACL in the same pre season game? What if Prince did not break his foot and became a really good player with a full pre season? Maybe Ross isn't even on the team.

I think losing Goff was huge. He was great against the run and was looking good against the pass.

bearbryant
01-05-2012, 12:31 PM

The biggest difference in the last two weeks with Fewell's defense (other than getting Osi back) was that he cut out all of that gimmicky zone-underneath stuff and those idiot 3-man rushes.

We play a very base zone now and are getting by on sheer talent. The biggest difference? Guys aren't throwing their hands up wondering where they're supposed to be right before the opponents hike the ball.

Imagine how good our D would be if we actually had a DC with a coordinated game plan (including with injuries).

100% correct. We've gotten more by doing less! Simplicity is working along with intensity and consistency from the players. Every once in a while they throw in some twists and with JPP, Tuck, Joseph & Canty it's been working.Oh yes Osi too! Did see a few LB's bring 5 with the Williams sack. A lot of fans asked for this simple D early on. Well, better late than never!

Yeh, imagine if we had a game plan using our strengths and weaknesses of the opponent?!!
Go Giants!

buddy33
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
The Rams defense was hit hard with injuries, especially in the secondary. Even Spags could not make them better.

TrueBlue@NYC
01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
The Rams defense was hit hard with injuries, especially in the secondary. Even Spags could not make them better.</P>

True, but that STL team is lacking talent even at full strength, ppl forget they're still rebuilding. That's the real difference b/t top tier teams and lower teams, it's the quality of players on the bottem end of the roster. </P>

STL went something like5 straight years of bad drafts, three years of talent restocking isn't gonna make up for it enough for a team to have the same depth as a NE, NO or NYG. </P>

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 12:48 PM
The Rams defense was hit hard with injuries, especially in the secondary. Even Spags could not make them better.

Yet the Rams have a better defense then us this year (22nd vs. our 27th), are more injured and don't have a quarter of the talent we do.

Hmmmmm.

Red Dog
01-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Yer adding Fewell to the fire

buddy33
01-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Yet the Rams have a better defense then us this year (22nd vs. our 27th), are more injured and don't have a quarter of the talent we do.

Hmmmmm.

Green Bay has the 32nd ranked defense. At the Rams better than them too? What about the Patriots with the 31st ranked defense?

Anyway, the Giants defense is getting hot at the right time and did what it needed to do to get in the playoffs. I still say they didn't lose the second Eagles game or the second Washington game. Thu have not been great but with all the injuries they have him in there and are getting better at the right time.

What would Spags do with 2 star DE's basically ring a non factor for much of the year, a raw rookie MLB, and a secondary that has a ton of injuries? I don't know, but what made him so good when he was here was the teams ability to get to the QB. What was he going to do about making Tuck or Osi healthy?

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 03:17 PM

Hmmmmm.

Green Bay has the 32nd ranked defense. At the Rams better than them too? What about the Patriots with the 31st ranked defense?

Yes the Rams have a better DEFENSE then the Pats and Packers. Obviously.

Anyway, the Giants defense is getting hot at the right time and did what it needed to do to get in the playoffs. I still say they didn't lose the second Eagles game or the second Washington game. Thu have not been great but with all the injuries they have him in there and are getting better at the right time.

You can say it all you want but you're still wrong. Our defense has made Rex Grossman look like a HoF QB TWICE this year and our defense allowed a beat up Eagle team with a backup QB to march 90 yards in the final minutes of the game to win it.

It's a fairly proven fact that if our offense doesn't score into the mid 20s or more we don't win.

That's called bad defense m'boy.

What would Spags do with 2 star DE's basically ring a non factor for much of the year, a raw rookie MLB, and a secondary that has a ton of injuries? I don't know, but what made him so good when he was here was the teams ability to get to the QB. What was he going to do about making Tuck or Osi healthy?

What every quality DC does ... produce a competitive unit.

buddy33
01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
The defense had 5 interceptions in those two games and the offense did nothing with it. The offense took off those two games.

JesseJames
01-05-2012, 06:01 PM
so Fewell is signed for another year, it doesn't really mean much if the team wants to replace him, ask Allie Sherman former NY Giants HC who had a multi year contract in place and was canned for the poor performance of the team that and the fans singing "goodbye Allie" in the stadium