PDA

View Full Version : Just finished watching the 2007 wild card game against the Bucs

Bigbluereckingcrew
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I know, the 2011 Falcons are not the 2006 Bucs, but there are similarities. That same kinda dink-dunk offense, strong running game Veteran QB (Garica). We really didn't get going until the second quarter butttt....Our offense is much more explosive now than it was than, on the same note our defense was better than than it is now.

Personnel wise, our defense it is similar. of course Stray is gone, but w/the emergence of JPP along w/osi, Tuck and Tolly that same front four pressure can be applied. Linebackers are were a little better in 07, but most of that is because of pierce, Torbor was nothing special neither was Wilkinson. DB's are the biggest concern, Webster was fresh off benching and Ross was a rookie....we will miss the experience of a R.W. Mcquarters though. O-line is the biggest variable, if they get it together watch out.

In closing, that 2007 team wasn't all that different from the 2011 Giants...Except Eli is a Elite quarter back and our receivers are more dangerous (love Toomer, but he wasn't keeping d-coordinators up at night) If we can take away the big play (Jones) and limit our mistakes, the Falcons are dead meat!!!

nygsb42champs
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
The Falcons offense is much better than that bucs team was.

Bigbluereckingcrew
01-05-2012, 10:55 AM
The Falcons offense is much better than that bucs team was.

Our offense is much better than it was in 2007....Ryan does have a tendency to keep it close to the line of scrimmage..i.e. dink and dunk, Through 13 games, they have 46 pass plays of 20 yards or more, which ranks ninth overall in the league....take that away (Jones) and pressure, the Falcons revert to the old falcons which had only 32 pass plays of 20 yards or more all of last season- which was 31st in the league last year.

TuckYou
01-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Dont get it twisted, Strahan &gt; JPP right now. Osi and Tuck of 07' &gt; Osi and Tuck 11'. 4 years younger and healthier. Our secondary should be a lot better in 11' then in 07', but for some reason it isnt (Probably the lack of Spags). Bradshaw and Jacobs were alot healthier as well. Plus our Oline was great back then. WRs are a wash with Plax Toomer Smith vs Nicks Cruz Manham. Eli 11' &gt; Eli 07' though. </P>

With all that said, Atlanta 11' &gt;&gt;&gt; TB 07'. </P>

egyptian420
01-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Dont get it twisted, Strahan &gt; JPP right now. Osi and Tuck of 07' &gt; Osi and Tuck 11'. 4 years younger and healthier. Our secondary should be a lot better in 11' then in 07', but for some reason it isnt (Probably the lack of Spags). Bradshaw and Jacobs were alot healthier as well. Plus our Oline was great back then. WRs are a wash with Plax Toomer Smith vs Nicks Cruz Manham. Eli 11' &gt; Eli 07' though. </p>

With all that said, Atlanta 11' &gt;&gt;&gt; TB 07'. </p>
Here's the biggest factor you didn't mention though, Eli 07 &lt; Eli 11 by a Big margin

TrueBlue@NYC
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
This Atl team is heads and shoulders better than that 07 Bucs team. It's not even close. </P>

Their offense is much more explosive, their ST's are better. Their defenses were about the same. </P>

burier
01-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Dont get it twisted, Strahan > JPP right now. Osi and Tuck of 07' > Osi and Tuck 11'. 4 years younger and healthier. Our secondary should be a lot better in 11' then in 07', but for some reason it isnt (Probably the lack of Spags). Bradshaw and Jacobs were alot healthier as well. Plus our Oline was great back then. WRs are a wash with Plax Toomer Smith vs Nicks Cruz Manham. Eli 11' > Eli 07' though. </P>

With all that said, Atlanta 11' >>> TB 07'. </P>

Umm..I'd take JPP over 07 Strah if we're talking about on field performance but I'd agree the line overall was better in 07

And the 07 Oline was far better than the current version.

More talen this year in the secondary but less production. go figure.

But I'd take the '11 WRs. Its hard to quantify what Toomer's experience brought to the table during that playoff run. And Plax did Abuse Al Harris in those playoffs but I do feel we're a little more talented this year.

Overall i think the team this year is better Because Eli is so much better than he was in 07

BJacobs aka The Problem
01-05-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't know why people are making comparison with the 07 run to this year. They are absolutely nothing alike.

Right now, you're trying throw 4 totally different teams into one comparison. This team is completely different then the 07 one. The 07 offense was completely opposite. The 07 defense is different as well. Not to mention this falcon team is not the buccaneer team. I lived in tampa during that season. The Buccaneers weren't that good. This falcon team is a pretty good team with a good balanced offense and a decent defense.

Not to rain on your parade because I would love nothing more then to see a repeat of 2007, but it's just too different.

I'm sure we can agree though, the same result would be friggen sweet.

Bigbluereckingcrew
01-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't know why people are making comparison with the 07 run to this year. They are absolutely nothing alike.

Right now, you're trying throw 4 totally different teams into one comparison. This team is completely different then the 07 one. The 07 offense was completely opposite. The 07 defense is different as well. Not to mention this falcon team is not the buccaneer team. I lived in tampa during that season. The Buccaneers weren't that good. This falcon team is a pretty good team with a good balanced offense and a decent defense.

Not to rain on your parade because I would love nothing more then to see a repeat of 2007, but it's just too different.

I'm sure we can agree though, the same result would be friggen sweet.

I agree that the teams are different, but not as much as people think. I brought up the comparison to display that the 07 team wasn't what some posters around here think. Our d pressured very well, but we were not the 85 bears...we were good, not great.

The 07 Giants gave up a s-load of yards to Ernest Gram and than Marion Barber the week after, but they didn't give up a lot of points.....sound familiar. 11" Giants are good enough to make a run

Same with the falcons, their offensive scheme is similar to that of the 07 Bucs, like I explained in my first rebuttal, their offense did not generate a lot of down field yards before Jones...take him out and they are the 07 Bucs all over again...the Falcons are not that good.

Eli playing the way he is to only factor I am concerned with is the O-line, if they get it together, the Falcons game could be a blow-out.....COULD BE!!!! not will be.

Bigbluereckingcrew
01-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Dont get it twisted, Strahan > JPP right now. Osi and Tuck of 07' > Osi and Tuck 11'. 4 years younger and healthier. Our secondary should be a lot better in 11' then in 07', but for some reason it isnt (Probably the lack of Spags). Bradshaw and Jacobs were alot healthier as well. Plus our Oline was great back then. WRs are a wash with Plax Toomer Smith vs Nicks Cruz Manham. Eli 11' > Eli 07' though. </P>

Umm..I'd take JPP over 07 Strah if we're talking about on field performance but I'd agree the line overall was better in 07

And the 07 Oline was far better than the current version.

More talen this year in the secondary but less production. go figure.

But I'd take the '11 WRs. Its hard to quantify what Toomer's experience brought to the table during that playoff run. And Plax did Abuse Al Harris in those playoffs but I do feel we're a little more talented this year.

Overall i think the team this year is better Because Eli is so much better than he was in 07

Not sold on the JPP > Stray thing, but yes, Toomer had a killer game against Dallas and Plax did the same to GB....No reason this years WR can't have some stories told about them in a few months....they are better

shotcalla39
01-05-2012, 07:08 PM
If we had Spags we win it all this year... Period

Voldamort
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Falcons are a better team than the buc's

T-Murda84
01-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Even tho we have a more explosive offense this year than in '07....I felt more confident in the Oline in 07 than now. I really hope Diehl can do a good job on Abraham and hopefully we can get the ground game working.

Defcon4
01-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Huge Factors G. Wilson > Antrel Rolle
S. Madison, Dockery & Ross > Webster, Ross, & whoever

JMFP2
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
The Falcons are better than the Bucs, but the Giants are a veteran playoff team. Matt Ryan still has the monkey on his back....alot of pressure on the Falcons to win.</P>

JJC7301
01-05-2012, 10:19 PM

+1. Agreed with everything that you said. Also, our LB play was more solid in '07. Kiwi may have been injured in '07, but Pierce and Mitchell were healthy and solid (not great, but solid) and Torbor was a solid fill-in. With Goff out, we've been playing with 2 starting LBs basically.

PLUS, we had a LOT of depth in '07 that we didn't even realize we had almost until the playoffs (i.e. Bradshaw, Boss, and Smith). I can't say that we have that depth this year (too many injuries). We had a good running game and the D was much more settled by this point back in '07.

I do not believe that the '11 team is better than the '07, but I still believe that this year's Giants have enough to match up against anyone.

JJC7301
01-05-2012, 10:23 PM
The Falcons are better than the Bucs, but the Giants are a veteran playoff team.* Matt Ryan still has the monkey on his back....alot of pressure on the Falcons to win.</P>
Ryan's good, as we all know, and Eli was 0-2 in the playoffs before '07 so figure that Ryan will will a playoff game one day -- just hope that it's not this Sunday.

I really like the Giants chances because the O has been playing well, special teams hasn't been bad, the O line is hopefully coming together, and hopefully the D as well. I truly believe that the talent is there.

Bigbluereckingcrew
01-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Even tho we have a more explosive offense this year than in '07....I felt more confident in the Oline in 07 than now. I really hope Diehl can do a good job on Abraham and hopefully we can get the ground game working.

Diehl WAS the left tackle in 07, plus we were down Shane O'hare during the GB game, this team can do it, they can run the table as long as we don't go to NO....Go Detroit