PDA

View Full Version : Giants in Playoffs and WFAN continues to focus on Jets

Strife21
01-05-2012, 11:32 AM
This is getting ridiculous. All this station does 90% of the time is talk about the Jets. Even when the Giants make the playoffs. I can't stand it anymore.

Sundown
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Yea it sucks. The local fans need to do something about it.

SweetZombieJesus
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Steinbrenner was working on setting up a YES radio station before he died (and presumably Giants fans would flock there).

Be thankful WFAN is at least still talking about football -- for 4 out of 5 days in the week before our last Super Bowl they were talking about the Mets starting rotation.

We need a Yankee-Giant centric radio station in NY.

TrueBlue07
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
what do you expect?

Morning guys - Obnoxious Jet fan who HATES the Giants & a former Jet

Mid Day - Two Jet fans

Afternoon - No team alliance now that Parcells has retired, but HATES the Jets.

it's embarrassing how overlooked the team is on ny sports radio

repeatchamps
01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
This is getting ridiculous. All this station does 90% of the time is talk about the Jets. Even when the Giants make the playoffs. I can't stand it anymore.</P>

I actually prefer it. Takes the negative media pressure they'd getoff of them. If the Jets had nothing interesting going on with them, the media would be talking all day long about how the Giants are notorious for playoff one and dones under Coughlin and have never won a home playoff game with Coughlin. They'd be saying the Giants defense has to prove they're back and for real considering how bad they have been all year long. They'd say they just have too many injuries in the back end of the defense to step up in a big playoff game against a Gonzalez, Jones and Whiteas well as suspect LB'ers. They'd fear that the Giants pass rush agianst Ryan and run defense against Turnerwill be stuffed against an O-line that is leaps and bounds better than the Jets and Cowboys.They'd say that Eli still hasn't put up a solid QB'ing performance in the playoffs at home. They'd say this is Cruz's and Nicks'first playoff game and it is unrealistic to think they'll do anything likethey've done in the regular season. They'd say they have no threat at TE with a gimpy inexperienced Ballard. They'd say the running game is dead last and have zero chance of denting the Atlanta run defense. They'd say Diehl and/or K-Mac along with anyone who'd help chip cannot handle Abraham. And on and on and on...</P>

BlueJayC
01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Yea it sucks. The local fans need to do something about it.</P>

Nope....leave it as is......this team performs best flying under the radar......</P>

I also seem to remember a particular sports news station predicting a Eagles/Jets SB........tells you all you need to know about the media....</P>

BParcells777
01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
NY ESPN radio the Michael Kay show is beyond ridiculous

Kay just sits their drooling from the side of the mouth after his team was ousted, and his fatso HC cried......his hatred of the Giants is Visceral.....poor Don LaGrecca has to go along with the farce......1st we have to listen to 5 weeks of non stop Pedeophile talk .....now this.

They are all in the 8 stages of grief.....have not gotten through #1 yet

I think the Giants need to buy a station or join the YES Network.......We are the Primo team in the NYC area and get absolutely no air time

Firenugget
01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
what do you expect?

Morning guys - Obnoxious Jet fan who HATES the Giants &amp; a former Jet

Mid Day - Two Jet fans

Afternoon - No team alliance now that Parcells has retired, but HATES the Jets.

it's embarrassing how overlooked the team is on ny sports radio

There it is.

Kruunch
01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
This is getting ridiculous. All this station does 90% of the time is talk about the Jets. Even when the Giants make the playoffs. I can't stand it anymore.

WFAN is horrible and has been for quite awhile when it comes to football.

I prefer ESPN (tells you how bad the FAN is).

TrueBlue07
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
NY ESPN radio the Michael Kay show is beyond ridiculous

Kay just sits their drooling from the side of the mouth after his team was ousted, and his fatso HC cried......his hatred of the Giants is Visceral.....poor Don LaGrecca has to go along with the farce......1st we have to listen to 5 weeks of non stop Pedeophile talk .....now this.

They are all in the 8 stages of grief.....have not gotten through #1 yet

I think the Giants need to buy a station or join the YES Network.......We are the Primo team in the NYC area and get absolutely no air time

Kay is a shill for who ever writes his checks. He is the same with the Yankees (I'm a Yankee fan). I first noticed this when the Jets were going to their first AFC Champ game. Every week he would find a reason why the Jets were going to win, even though they were dogs in the game. The year before he would NEVER pick the Giants to win any of their playoff games. He always focused on why they would lose (and he was 0-4 in his picks). It's only gotten worse since then. It's widely known the Jets and 1050 are very buddy buddy (besides being Home Of The Jets of course). So I am sure Kay goes over the top in his biased Jet comments because of $$$$

JimC
01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
If you want Giant talk on the FAN you will have to call up and get on the air, but be prepared for "What makes you think the GIANTS are going to win, they are a flawed team".

I guess the Jets bad news gets more attention than the Giants good news. There is lots of good reportable dirt going on with the Jets now so I guess it takes precedence. Bad news always sells more papers.

NYG 5
01-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Its the worst when they waste time talking about the mets.

I don't want to hear ANYTHING about baseball while football and hockey are still in season.

At least you get some Giant time when Carl Banks and Rolle go on Joe and Evan. I actually don't mind Joe and Evan since they don't bash the Giants, and Boomer and Carton can hardly be called a sports show with all the shenanigans that goes on there.

The thing about the fan is, they aren't anti-giants, they just don't talk about them. The only time the jets vanished from thought was after they were raped by the pats 45-3, and the only people calling were giant fans lmao

Sundown
01-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Nope....leave it as is......this team performs best flying under the radar......</P>

I also seem to remember a particular sports news station predicting a Eagles/Jets SB........tells you all you need to know about the media....</P>

Getting news is quite simple for you since you're local but for me and others it's difficult. The Giants are an international franchise and would bode well for the team if people were able to hear news and discussions more frequently

yoeddy
01-05-2012, 01:07 PM
I love it...all the Giants players get to hear how dysfunctional the Jets are...this will build even greater pride and appreciation for Tom Coughlin and the Giants' coaching staff among the players. All-in....

DragonSoul
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
This is getting ridiculous. All this station does 90% of the time is talk about the Jets. Even when the Giants make the playoffs. I can't stand it anymore.are you really surprised? You sure the other % isn't on the Yankees

BlueJayC
01-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Getting news is quite simple for you since you're local but for me and others it's difficult. The Giants are an international franchise and would bode well for the team if people were able to hear news and discussions more frequently</P>

Understood.</P>

I live in the epicenter and I've cut out watching and listening to all sports media shows outside of Giants Rewind and the occasional Sportcenter / NFL Live highlights......all you get through radio and TV shows are speculation,overpaid analystsand no real substance.....</P>

The only thing I need to be happy as a Giants fans are the facts so I come here, Giants.com and sadly enough created a Twitter account to get injury updates and all related transaction news......because these are all the places news breaks first......mainly here to tell you the truth.......hence why I joined a little over a year ago (happy anniversary to me).....can't tell you how many times I read about something happening associated with the Giants on here and then heard about it from the local media a day or two later......so Kudos to the NYGMB......</P>

CTLadyBlue
01-05-2012, 01:20 PM
The only thing that makes me giddier than hearing the Giants being praised is hearing the Jets being trashed - especially when Craig Carton is doing the trashing.

Fine by me. Talk about the Jets all week long. Hearing how screwed up, selfish, arrogant and obnoxious they are just makes me even prouder of my own team

gumby742
01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
shrug. personally, i find a team i dislike being crapped on far more entertaining then people doing nothing but telling me how great my team is.

GOBIGBLUE52
01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I actually like Joe and Evan, I usually listen to them when I'm able to. Always give the giants their props.

Carton/Boomer I never listen to and never will. The one time I tried to listen to them was monday, and they weren't even on.

Fatso I rarely listen to. He's borderline unlistenable.

Try being a hockey fan. The winter classic was the first time the rangers were mentioned all season, and they're potentially a stanley cup contender.

Sundown
01-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Getting news is quite simple for you since you're local but for me and others it's difficult. The Giants are an international franchise and would bode well for the team if people were able to hear news and discussions more frequently</P>

Understood.</P>

I live in the epicenter and I've cut out watching and listening to all sports media shows outside of Giants Rewind and the occasional Sportcenter / NFL Live highlights......all you get through radio and TV shows are speculation,*overpaid analysts*and no real substance.....</P>

The only thing I need to be happy as a Giants fans are the facts so I come here, Giants.com and sadly enough created a Twitter account to get injury updates and all related transaction news......because these are all the places news breaks first......mainly here to tell you the truth.......hence why I joined a little over a year ago (happy anniversary to me).....can't tell you how many times I read about something happening associated with the Giants on here and then heard about it from the local media a day or two later......so Kudos to the NYGMB......</P>

Yea I made a twitter account just for that reason. I live in Dallas and one thing that's cool is the radio stations will get in depth about the cowgirls, wish I had an outlet for the giants.

SIMMS5611
01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
When the GMEN pull off a victory this weekend, the fairweather fans will slowly start creeping out, wearing their brand new CRUZ #80 jersey, or their PIERRE-PAUL#90...they'll get a tad more media attention, &amp; the same old idiot talking heads will predict that the Giants, lucky enough to eek out a win in round one, will be gutted like fish in the 2nd round, etc, etc....</P>

F 'em. I've been a fan since I was old enough to the rules of the game, and I've seen all 4 SB appearances, and no matter what the decade, it's always the same old schtick for the media hacks trying to be outrageous, &amp; the bandwagon fans who manage to only own the jersesy of the hottest, current player on the team, yet claim to have loved 'em for years...</P>

The hacks can go scratch.</P>

Good or bad, I've been all in....GO BIG BLUE!</P>

nygsb42champs
01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
It has become very annoying.

CTLadyBlue
01-05-2012, 01:48 PM
When the GMEN pull off a victory this weekend, the fairweather fans will slowly start creeping out, wearing their brand new CRUZ #80 jersey, or their PIERRE-PAUL#90...they'll get a tad more media attention, & the same old idiot talking heads will predict that the Giants, lucky enough to eek out a win in round one, will be gutted like fish in the 2nd round, etc, etc....</P>

F 'em. I've been a fan since I was old enough to the rules of the game, and I've seen all 4 SB appearances, and no matter what the decade, it's always the same old schtick for the media hacks trying to be outrageous, & the bandwagon fans who manage to only own the jersesy of the hottest, current player on the team, yet claim to have loved 'em for years...</P>

I don't believe in predictions, guarantees or even dare to compare this season to '07, but the one thing I do remember after the Giants made the playoffs was listening to WFAN faithfully. After the victory over the Bucs, I distinctly remember Francesa saying "we should enjoy this win because I don't see us going into Dallas next week and pulling out a victory". Meanwhile - Romo, Jessica and Witten are whooping it up in Cabo

After upsetting Dallas it was the same bellyaching about 'not getting our hopes up going into historic Lambeau Field against a legendary QB and coming out victorious. I always felt the Giants could've given GB a run for their money in that game, but it was the inhuman weather that freaked me out.

And, of course, don't get me started on the talk leading up to SB 42. Just about every talking head pretty much summed up the same thing - that the Giants don't have a chance in the world to beat the Patriots and the best they could do was give them a good, tight game.

And after the SB, Mad Dog's (who was still there at the time) ONLY defense against irate callers wanting him to apologize for not giving the Giants a chance was "hey, where were all of you back in 2000 when I predicted the Ravens would trounce the Giants? did any of you call in to say I was right?" What an A**HOLE he was! Having to go back 7 years to justify not having to answer for his predictions.

But you know....I so prefer it this way. Don't talk about the Giants. Dont have them on your show to interview them and inflate their heads. Don't put them on the backpage. What the opposition doesn't know can be a scary thing

dave56dj
01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
They are bashing the JETS OVER AND OVER - let it go - let them bash. Francessa has said over and over in the last week no matter what Ryan says this is the Giants town. SO let them bash. If you need headlines and constant talk there are many teams that get just that. We are in the playoffs - BE HAPPY.

chbecker_99
01-05-2012, 01:55 PM
You are right...

I had hoped that once the Gmen put the Jets in their place AND THEN the 'Dolphins made Rex Cry' that we could finally FORGET ABOUT THE JETS.
Disgusting!

NYG216
01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Steinbrenner was working on setting up a YES radio station before he died (and presumably Giants fans would flock there).

Be thankful WFAN is at least still talking about football -- for 4 out of 5 days in the week before our last Super Bowl they were talking about the Mets starting rotation.

I grew up and currently live in the Philly area, but I was born in the north jersey area, and lived there for a year back in 2005.

Down here it is eagles talk all year. I was amazed to find that I could not even find Giants talk during the football season up there. It is either Yankees (all year round) Jets, Knicks... and maybe a segment here and there during the football season about the Giants. We should really put our money together to start a new station. I bet it would take over WFAN similar to the way 97.5 the fanatic has taken over WIP down here in philly since they no longer only talk about the eagles like homers.

HilliardFan16
01-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Steve Sommers is usually pretty good about talking Giants. He's the best one on the entire station.

GOBIGBLUE52
01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
When the GMEN pull off a victory this weekend, the fairweather fans will slowly start creeping out, wearing their brand new CRUZ #80 jersey, or their PIERRE-PAUL#90...they'll get a tad more media attention, &amp; the same old idiot talking heads will predict that the Giants, lucky enough to eek out a win in round one, will be gutted like fish in the 2nd round, etc, etc....</p>

F 'em. I've been a fan since I was old enough to the rules of the game, and I've seen all 4 SB appearances, and no matter what the decade, it's always the same old schtick for the media hacks trying to be outrageous, &amp; the bandwagon fans who manage to only own the jersesy of the hottest, current player on the team, yet claim to have loved 'em for years...</p>

The hacks can go scratch.</p>

Good or bad, I've been all in....GO BIG BLUE!</p>

Aw come on, the jersey thing isn't fair. Do you think prior to this year JPP or especially Cruz jerseys even existed? Unless you wanted to order one custom off of NFL shop.

BlueJayC
01-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Yea I made a twitter account just for that reason. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00" color=#000000 size=4>I live in Dallas</FONT> and one thing that's cool is the radio stations will get in depth about the cowgirls, wish I had an outlet for the giants.</P>

Niiiiice....I hope you're rockinga jerseyand carrying around a broom with you everywhere you go this week.....</P>

SIMMS5611
01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
When the GMEN pull off a victory this weekend, the fairweather fans will slowly start creeping out, wearing their brand new CRUZ #80 jersey, or their PIERRE-PAUL#90...they'll get a tad more media attention, &amp; the same old idiot talking heads will predict that the Giants, lucky enough to eek out a win in round one, will be gutted like fish in the 2nd round, etc, etc....</P>

F 'em. I've been a fan since I was old enough to the rules of the game, and I've seen all 4 SB appearances, and no matter what the decade, it's always the same old schtick for the media hacks trying to be outrageous, &amp; the bandwagon fans who manage to only own the jersesy of the hottest, current player on the team, yet claim to have loved 'em for years...</P>

</P>

OK, how about this...let's pretend that Dave Diehl became the next SuperBowl MVP, after a monster playoffs...they use him as a receiver, he scores multiple TD's...Tynes goes down, and Dave kicks a 65 yarder to get a win on OT...they're shorthanded on D, use him at NT, and he gets a ton of sacks...</P>

Currently, no one owns a #66, aside from #66 himself. But the day after the SB, every joker down the pike would have one, saying how they were always a DD fan....

Aw come on, the jersey thing isn't fair. Do you think prior to this year JPP or especially Cruz jerseys even existed? Unless you wanted to order one custom off of NFL shop.
</P>

jjj45
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Steve Sommers is usually pretty good about talking Giants. He's the best one on the entire station.
Sommers is a Jets fan. Mike Lupica is much better.

Sommers' voice irritates me. And his puns are horrible.

BigBlue1971
01-05-2012, 02:48 PM
This is getting ridiculous. All this station does 90% of the time is talk about the Jets. Even when the Giants make the playoffs. I can't stand it anymore.</P>

</P>

who cares! let them focus on who they want!</P>

Giants fans are focued on the Giants! thats all that counts.</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5>Go Giants!</FONT></P>

JMFP2
01-05-2012, 03:56 PM

I was driving back home to Chicago after watching the Giants beat Dallas for the division title, and thought maybe I could listen to some Giants playoff preview on WFAN....

But 95% of the talk was about the Jets. I wanted to call in and say, "give it a ****ing rest with the Jets...you losers can ***** and whine all offseason....let's talk about the playoffs!"

SweetZombieJesus
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
You are right...

I had hoped that once the Gmen put the Jets in their place AND THEN the 'Dolphins made Rex Cry' that we could finally FORGET ABOUT THE JETS.
Disgusting!

Let's start calling him:

<font color="#006400" size="5">Wrecks Cryin</font>

SweetZombieJesus
01-05-2012, 04:10 PM

I grew up and currently live in the Philly area, but I was born in the north jersey area, and lived there for a year back in 2005.

Down here it is eagles talk all year. I was amazed to find that I could not even find Giants talk during the football season up there. It is either Yankees (all year round) Jets, Knicks... and maybe a segment here and there during the football season about the Giants. We should really put our money together to start a new station. I bet it would take over WFAN similar to the way 97.5 the fanatic has taken over WIP down here in philly since they no longer only talk about the eagles like homers.

I think the market has shown they can sustain it... Look around at all the premiere teams that have their own cable networks 24/7 -- Yankees, Red Sox, Cowboys -- there's a market for deep talk off-season and replaying classic games, etc.

The Giants have a spattering of 4 or 5 weekly shows spread over several networks -- I can see a 24/7 TV and/or radio network.

HilliardFan16
01-05-2012, 05:07 PM

He's really a Jets fan? That's surprising. He's usually very quick to rip them and very quick to support the Giants. Either way, he gives them a good amount of play. He was calling Jake Ballard the best tight end in football a week ago, doesn't seem like a Jets fan.

His voice is hilarious I think. It's a classic radio voice. Plus, I love how he always says, "with the..."

I really don't mind any of the hosts, besides the morning show. However, there is way to much Jets in general.

jjj45
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM

He's really a Jets fan? That's surprising. He's usually very quick to rip them and very quick to support the Giants. Either way, he gives them a good amount of play. He was calling Jake Ballard the best tight end in football a week ago, doesn't seem like a Jets fan.

His voice is hilarious I think. It's a classic radio voice. Plus, I love how he always says, "with the..."

I really don't mind any of the hosts, besides the morning show. However, there is way to much Jets in general.
Some good points there. You obviously listen to him more than me. I listened to the Fan after we beat the Jets on xmas eve. And the vibe I got was that he was a Jets fan. I probably am wrong here.

Did anyone else listen to that particular broadcast? Cause a whole bunch of jets fans called in and it seemed like he was commiserating with them.

I mean the Giants just beat the Jets. And if he is a Giants fan, wouldn't he seem more happy instead of ironic? Which is more of what it seemed to me at the time.

HilliardFan16
01-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Some good points there. You obviously listen to him more than me. I listened to the Fan after we beat the Jets on xmas eve. And the vibe I got was that he was a Jets fan. I probably am wrong here.

Did anyone else listen to that particular broadcast? Cause a whole bunch of jets fans called in and it seemed like he was commiserating with them.

I mean the Giants just beat the Jets. And if he is a Giants fan, wouldn't he seem more happy instead of ironic? Which is more of what it seemed to me at the time.

You could be right, he very well may be a Jets fan... But even if he is, he definitely gives the Giants their due. Plus, he seems like a kinda guy who loves sharing in other people's miseries, which would explain the Jets stuff.

Oh, and he definitely loves to see the Cowboys fail, which is why I thought he was a Giants fan. He plays Romo choking clips all the time.

GameTime
01-05-2012, 05:58 PM
You are right... I had hoped that once the Gmen put the Jets in their place AND THEN the 'Dolphins made Rex Cry' that we could finally FORGET ABOUT THE JETS. Disgusting!

Let's start calling him:

<FONT color=#006400 size=5>Wrecks Cryin</FONT>
</P>

nice.....I like that...</P>

Or </P>

Rex Lyin'....</P>

since that what he does every season whenhe promises the SB to all the Jets fans....</P>

</P>

DragonSoul
01-06-2012, 01:20 AM
You are right...

Disgusting!

Let's start calling him:

<font color="#006400" size="5">Wrecks Cryin</font>
nice