PDA

View Full Version : Shaun O’Hara: Current New York Giants Defensive Line Better than 2007 Version

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-05-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2012/01/05/shaun-ohara-current-new-york-giants-defensive-line-better-than-2007-version/

Surprising...I mean its not like that's what he was "supposed" to say.

Sundown
01-05-2012, 02:21 PM
He must be smokIn!!

Easy-Duz-It
01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
he's right.

TrueBlue07
01-05-2012, 02:28 PM
he's right.

It is an interesting debate. The problem is the DLine of the last 2 weeks, and hopefully the next 4 games is not the same line we saw from week 1 - week 15. I think this is probably something that can be more accurately assessed after the playoffs are over. This way we have more of a sample size than 2 games.

gumby742
01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Arguable on either side. Star power is similar: Osi, Tuck, Strahan vs JPP, Osi, Tuck. What it boils down to is depth. I think we're better this year mainly because have Kiwi to play end also.

elismom
01-05-2012, 03:04 PM
100% Healthy Osi and hes right. I mean we need to think about Toff and even Mathias who is really an extension of this DL. Jovel is nasty and Canty is having sick yr

T-Murda84
01-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I would hate to say that considering Michael Strahan, The Giants Greatest Defensive End, played on that 2007 team. I like the talent and hustle of JPP...but I think the 07 version of Tuck was 10 times better than Tuck present day. Osi is still a beast tho too like in '07. I think our DT play was better in '07 too, but in 07 we didnt have Kiwi at the end of the season. Its tough to call.

Jobarulz
01-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Age has to be taken into consideration. Stray obviously had the best career of anyone, and JPP has a long way to go before he's Stray. However, a 23 year old JPP is better than a 37 year old Stray IMO. Although Tuck in '07 was better, but hopefully he's getting his '07 feel back as he looks more like the '07 Tuck lately.

pino
01-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I think you guys are comparing JPP to Strahan unfairly. Defensive line also includes our Tackles who are better now than Cofield and Robbins then. Our depth has also improved in my opinion.

BigBlue1971
01-05-2012, 05:32 PM
todays d-line is better imo!</P>

Fewell has more toys (d-ends) to play with than Spags. a lot of Spags pressure was manfactured whereas Fewell uses the front 4 more.</P>

besides Kiwi and Tolley are more experienced. they provide valuable support.</P>

Jobarulz
01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I think you guys are comparing JPP to Strahan unfairly. Defensive line also includes our Tackles who are better now than Cofield and Robbins then. Our depth has also improved in my opinion.

I agree with you about depth. I disagree that the Stray JPP comparisons are unfair. It is too early to say JPP will have the career of Strahan. But as great as Stray still was at 37, I think JPP is more explosive. Remember I'm talking about Stray at 37, not 27.

pino
01-05-2012, 05:40 PM

I agree with you about depth. I disagree that the Stray JPP comparisons are unfair. It is too early to say JPP will have the career of Strahan. But as great as Stray still was at 37, I think JPP is more explosive. Remember I'm talking about Stray at 37, not 27.

That's not what I mean by an unfair comparison. I mean O'hara didn't make those comments because he thinks JPP is an upgrade over Stray. He's talking about the Line as a whole, so it's not JPP vs. Stray, it's 2007 vs 2011. Tuck, Tolly, and Kiwi has improved since then. Then you have Osi that never lost a step. Add Joseph, Canty, and JPP. This line is clearly better in my opinion.

Jobarulz
01-05-2012, 05:43 PM

That's not what I mean by an unfair comparison. I mean O'hara didn't make those comments because he thinks JPP is an upgrade over Stray. He's talking about the Line as a whole, so it's not JPP vs. Stray, it's 2007 vs 2011. Tuck, Tolly, and Kiwi has improved since then. Then you have Osi that never lost a step. Add Joseph, Canty, and JPP. This line is clearly better in my opinion.

Oh okay gotcha.

Defcon4
01-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Shaun luva da cocaina!! No way no how. Fred Robbins was playing better than any DT on our team now, especially versus the run. J-tuck was coming from DT on a lot of downs in 2007 with Strahan at the end and Osi on the other side. 2007 was a HISTORIC D-line. The real MVP of the SB if you ask me. Created pressure on every down versus any and every offensive line we faced. We didn't do that this year. Breese was just as comfortable as he could be if we didn't blitz. 2007 was light years better versus the run and substantially better versus the pass.

NO CONTEST!!

Easy-Duz-It
01-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Shaun luva da cocaina!! No way no how. Fred Robbins was playing better than any DT on our team now, especially versus the run. J-tuck was coming from DT on a lot of downs in 2007 with Strahan at the end and Osi on the other side. 2007 was a HISTORIC D-line. The real MVP of the SB if you ask me. Created pressure on every down versus any and every offensive line we faced. We didn't do that this year. Breese was just as comfortable as he could be if we didn't blitz. 2007 was light years better versus the run and substantially better versus the pass.

NO CONTEST!!

it's amazing how much winning affects people's memories. to say 2007 was better NO CONTEST!!! is asinine.

robbins had a good year in 07, but i think maybe you are confusing his '07 season with his '08 season, which is the year he really shined.

that d-line was historic only because we won the super bowl. (not to take anything away from them, they were great)....but they really weren't as dominating as people make them out to be. until maybe the playoff run. yes they led the league in sacks, but that was also bolstered by a 12 sack performance against the eagles. i'm not trying to say that d-line wasn't great, but it wasn't as unstoppable as their reputation makes them out to be. thank the super bowl ring for that.

the truth is, the giants weren't a dominate team in '07 until the playoff run. they were a very good team, but other teams weren't really scared of them.

i'm hoping for more of the same in this playoff run. and going into it, it is of my opinion that we have the better line now. more depth, and a young jpp who is dominating the league. they keep 'eatin' and we just might witness some magic over the next month.

NYG 5
01-05-2012, 06:43 PM
The difference between the two is leadership.

That 2007 line had Strahan and Robbins leading the charge, and had coffield, alford, and tolly backing them up, with tuck lighting it up coming off the bench.

Now, Tuck is playing about as good as Osi was then, JPP is playing like Strahan from 2001. Osi comes in off the bench, along with Kiwi pass rushing on certain downs. DT is about as good as it was then, minus Robbins' leadership.

I think this years dline is healthier and more talented overall than that unit, I just don't know about the leadership factor

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-05-2012, 06:45 PM

That 2007 line had Strahan and Robbins leading the charge, and had coffield, alford, and tolly backing them up, with tuck lighting it up coming off the bench.

Now, Tuck is playing about as good as Osi was then, JPP is playing like Strahan from 2001. Osi comes in off the bench, along with Kiwi pass rushing on certain downs. DT is about as good as it was then, minus Robbins' leadership.

I think this years dline is healthier and more talented overall than that unit, I just don't know about the leadership factor

your statement above your sig makes me LOL, I have a question, would you do it?

giantsfan420
01-05-2012, 06:50 PM
wow. i am even more stoked and confident in this team. couple of things from watching that clip;

i agree with him when he says give the ball to jacobs 20 times and let him tire out that dline. he's the biggest back in the league. he also said thats what the OL want as well. I think for the playoffs we need to follow that formula. It sets the tone and intensity, which we need.

his comments about eli were spot on, and he was spot on about his evaluation of the team. with the dl, and passing game, if the giants can match the intensity from sunday night they'll be getting victories and it could even be by a few scores.

if i was KG, i'd run jacobs early and often, even if it isnt successful right away, keep at it. it sets the tone, low chance of a turnover, it will open up the passing game, and most importantly, when it gets to the 4th quarter, those DL and LB are gonna be hurting. thats when bradsahw can do his damage, and if we need to get a late score, it makes things a lil bit easier for them

NYG 5
01-05-2012, 06:52 PM

your statement above your sig makes me LOL, I have a question, would you do it?

Before the Rams game, yeah. Now... I don't think you can trade enough players in the same transaction. I would need at least half the 49er offensive line, another linebacker, and vernon davis lol

giantsfan420
01-05-2012, 06:55 PM
and with the whole dl debate...does it really matter which one was better?

the past two games, the DL has looked like the giants DL in the super bowl. remember, the DL wasnt all that great in the games leading up to the super bowl. it was the super bowl it was really unleashed bc NE was such a heavy passing team.

we can use tuck, jpp, osi, kiwi now and imo, they're getting serious pressure on the opposing qb. if they can match the intensity they did sunday night, it doesnt matter if its brees, rodgers, or brady...its gonna be rough for them.
remember, we beat NE with a similar concept to the super bowl. we were getting pressure non stop. dont forget we hadnt had a healthy DL for much of the season. a few games they were all healthy and playing well...NE, vs the Jets, and Dallas recently. in those games when the DL was healthy, they were killing it.

whose better? i dunno. all i know is we need the DL to play with that intensity for the whole playoffs...if they do, it gives us a GREAT shot at winning.

good luck matt ryan...your gonna need it

Spizi
01-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I'd agree with him. Tuck and Osi are now seasoned vets and JPP is arguably the DPOY. We can also throw kiwi in the mix.

fletch842
01-05-2012, 07:13 PM
the Linebacking corp in 2007 was light years ahead of this group. AP was still playing at a really high level, and KM was better that year than anyone on the LB squad this year. I also think that secondary was a bit better as well, especially in the playoff run.

Easy-Duz-It
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
the Linebacking corp in 2007 was light years ahead of this group. AP was still playing at a really high level, and KM was better that year than anyone on the LB squad this year. I also think that secondary was a bit better as well, especially in the playoff run.

eh...michael boley>kawika mitchell

but yeah...antonio was a great leader and really knew how to quarterback the defense.

Defcon4
01-05-2012, 09:54 PM

NO CONTEST!!

it's amazing how much winning affects people's memories. to say 2007 was better NO CONTEST!!! is asinine.

robbins had a good year in 07, but i think maybe you are confusing his '07 season with his '08 season, which is the year he really shined.

that d-line was historic only because we won the super bowl. (not to take anything away from them, they were great)....but they really weren't as dominating as people make them out to be. until maybe the playoff run. yes they led the league in sacks, but that was also bolstered by a 12 sack performance against the eagles. i'm not trying to say that d-line wasn't great, but it wasn't as unstoppable as their reputation makes them out to be. thank the super bowl ring for that.

the truth is, the giants weren't a dominate team in '07 until the playoff run. they were a very good team, but other teams weren't really scared of them.

i'm hoping for more of the same in this playoff run. and going into it, it is of my opinion that we have the better line now. more depth, and a young jpp who is dominating the league. they keep 'eatin' and we just might witness some magic over the next month.

Asinine?? not really. I love a good debate. Here's the breakdown. We gave up less yards running and passing on '07. We had more TFL from the D-line in '07. Fred Robbins in '07 was a stronger pass rushing presence than any lineman we have on the squad now. IMO he played the run better also. Case dismissed!

Now heres what sets 07' apart from this years line. We had three different players that had double digit sacks**(Strahan had 9). Fred Robbins had 5.5. It was a more balanced line. Nearly every player on the line was a threat to get to the quaterback. The run defense was better; NO CONTEST better.

The team as a whole wasn't dominant but our defensive line led the league in sacks and thw defense was ranked 8th against the run. The gap is not as large as I thought in terms of the numbers from '07 to '11 but the numbers do say it is NO CONTEST.

Sacks come in bunches for all teams and all players. To highlight one game as an anomaly says to me you don't understand how sacks tend to trend out.

That being said what I also forgot was how good our secondary was in 2007. G. Wilson, Sam Barnes, and Ross were the standouts. This was rookie Ross not the Ross we see now- big difference. Plus we had a better scheme and the injury bug didn't kill us that year. Our linebackers were solid versus the run led by AP. Folks 2007 was 2007. This team, if we win, will win with offense leading the way.

FYI if your dominant in the playoffs, you led the league in sack in the regular and post season and you smack a record setting New England offense around like there little leaguers your defensive line is HISTORIC! Yes we were that dominating. We went through the playoffs on the road and laid down law. First time ever in the history of the NFL. We won the SB because of the D-line. The SB ring didn't make the d-line great. The great D-line gave us a SB ring. Dominant, great, historic, all the above, and you know this!

giantsfan420
01-05-2012, 10:35 PM

NO CONTEST!!

Asinine?? not really. I love a good debate. Here's the breakdown. We gave up less yards running and passing on '07. We had more TFL from the D-line in '07. Fred Robbins in '07 was a stronger pass rushing presence than any lineman we have on the squad now. IMO he played the run better also. Case dismissed!

Now heres what sets 07' apart from this years line. We had three different players that had double digit sacks**(Strahan had 9). Fred Robbins had 5.5. It was a more balanced line. Nearly every player on the line was a threat to get to the quaterback. The run defense was better; NO CONTEST better.

The team as a whole wasn't dominant but our defensive line led the league in sacks and thw defense was ranked 8th against the run. The gap is not as large as I thought in terms of the numbers from '07 to '11 but the numbers do say it is NO CONTEST.

Sacks come in bunches for all teams and all players. To highlight one game as an anomaly says to me you don't understand how sacks tend to trend out.

That being said what I also forgot was how good our secondary was in 2007. G. Wilson, Sam Barnes, and Ross were the standouts. This was rookie Ross not the Ross we see now- big difference. Plus we had a better scheme and the injury bug didn't kill us that year. Our linebackers were solid versus the run led by AP. Folks 2007 was 2007. This team, if we win, will win with offense leading the way.

FYI if your dominant in the playoffs, you led the league in sack in the regular and post season and you smack a record setting New England offense around like there little leaguers your defensive line is HISTORIC! Yes we were that dominating. We went through the playoffs on the road and laid down law. First time ever in the history of the NFL. We won the SB because of the D-line. The SB ring didn't make the d-line great. The great D-line gave us a SB ring. Dominant, great, historic, all the above, and you know this!

very good argument. although sam barnes was long gone tho from the giants. i think u mean sam madison.

still tho, we havent seen a healthy dline for all but 3 games this season. NE, NYJ,and last Dallas game. those three games,our DL WAS DOMINANT, where as in 07 our dl was healthy all year.

u made a great argument for ur stance, but its tough bc we havent seen a healthy dl from us this season. lets see how the playoffs go. who cares which is better if the end of the day our DL helps us win another one!

miked1958
01-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Yep a few times they rushed 5 plus Williams and sometimes kiwi.
Sick...

miked1958
01-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't know about better then 07. Not now not yet. But if they get on another 4 game roll and gather steam and win SB then u can prob say it if they continue to dominate and improve each game

JMFP2
01-05-2012, 10:59 PM
If the Giants ride this D-Line to another Super Bowl, it will be an interesting debate.</P>

Until then, they can't touch the 2007 line.</P>

JJC7301
01-05-2012, 11:25 PM
I'll take the '07 line -- Strahan, Tuck, and Osi healthy; Cofield and Robbins manning the middle. I take the '07 line HANDS DOWN.

brad
01-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I think what we are discussing here is the difference between achievement and potential... the current line has the potential to be as good, or even better than the 2007 line, but up until the last few games have not exactly achieved that potential. Now that they are starting to get healthy we are seeing a glimmer of hope that they might mirror that historic run that the 2007 team made. Until they do that, they are only "potentially better".

shotcalla39
01-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Jpp is better than stray in his 16th season....