PDA

View Full Version : Red Zone Defense

coloradojoe
01-05-2012, 09:10 PM
It seems as though many teams are having difficulties defending the pass in the red zone especially inside the 10. Many teams have been going to the quick slant to the wr in man coverage. This play seems nearly impossible to defend 1 because the ball is out of the QBs hands in under 1 sec and 2 because the officials make it almost impossible once the receiver has inside position its all over. I have been thinking that though it is important to rush the passer in these situations it might equally be as important for our DEs to get there hands up in the first second of the play to through the QB and receiver out of rhythm. Kind of a hands up and then delayed rush.

giantsfan420
01-05-2012, 09:29 PM
It seems as though many teams are having difficulties defending the pass in the red zone especially inside the 10.* Many teams have been going to the quick slant to the wr in man coverage.* This play seems nearly impossible to defend 1 because the ball is out of the QBs hands in under 1 sec and 2 because the officials make it almost impossible once the receiver has inside position its all over.* I have been thinking that though it is important to rush the passer in these situations it might equally be as important for our DEs to get there hands up in the first second of the play to through the QB and receiver out of rhythm.* Kind of a hands up and then delayed rush. *

another idea i toy around with would be to line up jpp at his usual de spot, but instead of having him rush, have him sprint into the slant passing lane. octupus arms could cover like 8 yds of ground, how sick would it be if they did that and he had a pick 6 ala LT back in the day

coloradojoe
01-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I agree. that would be great. something has to be done to keep these easy scores from happening. I hope it is something perry fewell has been thinking about but its seem as though no other defense or D coordinator has been able to put together so far.