PDA

View Full Version : Greater single season: Strahan 2001, JPP 2011?

NYG 5
01-06-2012, 03:08 PM
It seems like every time the Giants made a crucial stop this year, it was JPP, especially down the stretch. The guy has just been all over the field, and the scary part is, it doesn't look like he really has to exert himself to do it.

Strahan had a monster game as well, with a bunch of 3+ sack games. However, how many leads did the defense blow late in the game?

Now I was only 11 that year, but I'm still haunted by visions of McChoke rolling right and killing the Giants, and Kerry Butterfingers putting the ball on the turf. So I have to ask the boards, who's single season was better?

egyptian420
01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
It seems like every time the Giants made a crucial stop this year, it was JPP, especially down the stretch. The guy has just been all over the field, and the scary part is, it doesn't look like he really has to exert himself to do it.

Strahan had a monster game as well, with a bunch of 3+ sack games. However, how many leads did the defense blow late in the game?

Now I was only 11 that year, but I'm still haunted by visions of McChoke rolling right and killing the Giants, and Kerry Butterfingers putting the ball on the turf. So I have to ask the boards, who's single season was better?
I'm guessing you were born in 89?

Kruunch
01-06-2012, 03:34 PM

Strahan didn't really become a clutch player until late in his career. A lot of his gaudy numbers in the 90s and early 2K came during garbage time (either for or against).

Having said that, JPP has a LOOOOOONG way to go before he has the kind of career Strahan had but he's certainly off to a great start.

jhamburg
01-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Cue the ever popular "No players from the present/future can ever be as good as the old HOF greats" argument

Spizi
01-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Cue the ever popular "No players from the present/future can ever be as good as the old HOF greats" argument

I hate that argument. The same could have been said for those old HOF greats when they were present players. At this pace JPP will have a better career than Strahan. Obviously the odds are against him for maintaining that pace.

G-Man67
01-06-2012, 05:24 PM
it's unfair to compare JPP with Strahan or LT ... Strahan did what he did for a long time and was incredibly consistent ... plus he was every bit as good of a run defender as he was a pass rusher

LT was the single most dominant pass rusher in the NFL during the prime of his career and he actually changed how football is played

what i will say about JPP is that he did a lot of his damage without a healthy Tuck or Osi to draw attention away from him and he did it in his 2nd season ... both very impressive feats ... you simply can't expect to block him 1 v. 1 and anytime you try, you are taking a risk

NYG4lifeNYK
01-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Let's be serious for a minute... Strahan hands down.. no contest. No comparison.

22.5 sacks.

JPP is an absolute freak & I have no doubt he is the only player in the NFL that has the talent to break Strahan's record one day.

Guy has just barely scratched the surface.

NYGRealityCheck
01-06-2012, 05:51 PM
JPP has so much potential, it may be beyond prediction. This is only his second year (first full year on the field)! He's only going to get better, especially when he recognizes plays better and react faster to them.

Strahan was one of the most dominant and complete DE's in the history of the NFL. Not only was he a sack machine, he was effective in stopping the run (RB and QB) and batting down screen passes. He basically owned the opposing team's backfield.

Here's a question, does anyone remeber the commercial where Strahan tried to practice on the Giants O-Line by switching position?

RobCarpenter
01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Strahan didn't really become a clutch player until late in his career. A lot of his gaudy numbers in the 90s and early 2K came during garbage time (either for or against). </P>

That is a silly statement. </P>

Strahan was a terrific player throughout his career. <SPAN class=bold_text>7-time Pro Bowler &amp; 4-time First-Team All-Pro..future HoF'er.</SPAN><SPAN class="no_mobile small_text"></SPAN></P>

fletch842
01-06-2012, 06:38 PM
it's unfair to compare JPP with Strahan or LT ... Strahan did what he did for a long time and was incredibly consistent ... plus he was every bit as good of a run defender as he was a pass rusher

LT was the single most dominant pass rusher in the NFL during the prime of his career and he actually changed how football is played

what i will say about JPP is that he did a lot of his damage without a healthy Tuck or Osi to draw attention away from him and he did it in his 2nd season ... both very impressive feats ... you simply can't expect to block him 1 v. 1 and anytime you try, you are taking a risk
LT was also amazing against the run, maybe on par with his pass rushing.

jhamburg
01-06-2012, 06:53 PM

If you guys want to see LT as the holy untouchable pass rusher of all time that's fine with me. But to me you're crazy if you don't think JPP will be better than Strahan if he continues his current career trajectory.

And why does everyone act like JPP is some one-dimensional pass rusher? Dude had 86 tackles this year. That might be a more impressive stat than his sacks!

brad
01-06-2012, 07:16 PM

If you guys want to see LT as the holy untouchable pass rusher of all time that's fine with me. But to me you're crazy if you don't think JPP will be better than Strahan if he continues his current career trajectory.

And why does everyone act like JPP is some one-dimensional pass rusher? Dude had 86 tackles this year. That might be a more impressive stat than his sacks!

I don't think anyone is saying he couldn't be better... but to compare JPP to a hall of fame player in only his second year is a stretch. Could he be the next HOF player for the Giants? The potential is there.

If you got in the HOF based on one season, Javon Kearse would be there.

RobCarpenter
01-06-2012, 07:32 PM

what i will say about JPP is that he did a lot of his damage without a healthy Tuck or Osi to draw attention away from him and he did it in his 2nd season ... both very impressive feats ... you simply can't expect to block him 1 v. 1 and anytime you try, you are taking a risk If you guys want to see LT as the holy untouchable pass rusher of all time that's fine with me. But to me you're crazy if you don't think JPP will be better than Strahan if he continues his current career trajectory. And why does everyone act like JPP is some one-dimensional pass rusher? Dude had 86 tackles this year. That might be a more impressive stat than his sacks! I don't think anyone is saying he couldn't be better... but to compare JPP to a hall of fame player in only his second year is a stretch. Could he be the next HOF player for the Giants? The potential is there. If you got in the HOF based on one season, Javon Kearse would be there.

Gotta agree with you brad.

JPP had a monster season and his future looks very bright. If he has 6 or 7 more seasons anything like the one he just had, he'll be in the HoF some day....buttime can take a toll on a player. Certaintly hope JPP stays healthy and hungry. </P>

smoovej15
01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
If you have ever seen highlights before the 2007 SB and at halftime. The man always talking to the team was Strahan. He talked... EVERYONE listened. It was never useless smack talk it was leadership at its best and INSPIRATIONAL. We still lack that "this how it is and this is what we're going to do" aspect from anyone on the team. It gave me chills to hear him talk to the team during that game.

smoovej15
01-06-2012, 08:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-tAKcGfwd8

Geat vid

bubblesmcgee
01-06-2012, 08:00 PM
If you have ever seen highlights before the 2007 SB and at halftime. The man always talking to the team was Strahan. He talked... EVERYONE listened. It was never useless smack talk it was leadership at its best and INSPIRATIONAL. We still lack that "this how it is and this is what we're going to do" aspect from anyone on the team. It gave me chills to hear him talk to the team during that game.

"17-14 is the final, OK? 17-14 fellas. One touchdown and we are world champions. Believe it, and it will happen!"

This team has missed a Strahan. While JPP had a helluva season, and could be on par with strahan one day, its a little early to compare the two.

I also dont see JPP being that leader that strahan was. not that its a bad thing but the team needs a fiery guy to pump everyone up when things dont go their way. I doubt that eagles debacle would have ended the way it did last year with strahan on the team. He wouldve been grabbing guys by the throat for the lack of effort