PDA

View Full Version : This is not 2007!

Cags
01-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I just saw another comparison to the 2007 team during the halftime of the cotton bowl. It is being way overplayed.

Even though the 2007 team was erratic at times, after the first two weeks the defense was pretty solid. I don't put much stock in this 2011 D. It's just as likely to give up 40 then it is to give up 20.

I think they should win this Sunday, but if I had to bet on the game I'd be really nervous about which defense showed up.

I've heard this comparison to the 2007 team entirely too much from the media, Fox and worst of all the Giant players. I hope they dont come into this game thinking this run is going to be easy, because it's so similar to 2007, if they do they are cleaning out their lockers on Monday.

Coughlin said it best, "shut up and play"

Don't expect this off season to mirror 2007, this one is going to be a much harder run, if we're going to make it

NjErzeY88
01-06-2012, 10:51 PM
not for nothing... It can get much harder than @DAL, @GB, and 18-0 Patriots

buddy33
01-06-2012, 10:58 PM
No, but there are a lot of similarities. That year they where beat pretty badly by some of the best teams in the NFL and they lost some games they should have won. Sound familiar?

If the DL is healthy and can play the way they have been the last 2 games their secondary and LB's just got a lot better. Also, Eli is a lot better now than he was in 2007 so lets see what happens.

Cags
01-06-2012, 11:01 PM
not for nothing... It can get much harder than @DAL, @GB, and 18-0 Patriots

I think you're wrong here. I think Atlanta is tougher then Tampa was in 2007 and, @Dal and @ GB is nothing like it would be this year, likely @ a better GB and then @ NO, much harder!

Cags
01-06-2012, 11:05 PM
No, but there are a lot of similarities. That year they where beat pretty badly by some of the best teams in the NFL and they lost some games they should have won. Sound familiar?

If the DL is healthy and can play the way they have been the last 2 games their secondary and LB's just got a lot better. Also, Eli is a lot better now than he was in 2007 so lets see what happens.

Eli is a lot better then he was in 2007, in 2007 he was holding us back until the end of the season. In 2011 it's been the defense. Lets not forget GB driving the field with 58 secs left when we needed a stop, the eagle game letting Vince Young drive the field for 8 minutes, the NO game, Dallas would have beat us in 1st game if Austin "didn't lose it in the lights"

I see the similarites, I really do and I want nothing more then to make a similar run this year, but this is not that team and it's not the same situation despite appearences.

They need to show up and not make mistakes

buddy33
01-06-2012, 11:22 PM
So then I guess we don't even need to watch.

Cags
01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
So then I guess we don't even need to watch.

I'm gonna watch, I don't care if you do or not.

buddy33
01-06-2012, 11:28 PM

buddy33
01-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Seriously, I get it. It is getting a little out of hand with all the comparisons and no, I don't feel it is the same. However, I can't stop hoping that it is 2007 all over again.

The OL is not as good as 2007, but the WR's and QB are much better.

IF the DL can stay healthy and apply tons of pressure the defense can be much better than they have been most of the year.

miked1958
01-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Let's beat the falcons first. We have not even won a playoff game yet. The 07 team won 4.lets cool it with all the comparisons until there is a reason to compare them. Lol

miked1958
01-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Let's beat the falcons first. We have not even won a playoff game yet. The 07 team won 4.lets cool it with all the comparisons until there is a reason to compare them. Lol

miked1958
01-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Oh and the reason would be. To get to and win the SB. Then we can do all the comparing we want in the offseason

LoveRack
01-07-2012, 12:45 AM
im also tired of hearing 2007,, enough already its a different team,, different path,, we are home this week

allentown PA
01-07-2012, 12:51 AM
we dont run the ball or stop the run like we did in 07..having said that I believe talent wise we are as good..thought the same thing last year...I actually think last years team was better than this years.

JIMBURT86
01-07-2012, 01:10 AM
this is not the 2007 team, not even close !! Yeah we squeaked in by beating a sucky Jet team and theN Romo who was injured. I see the Giants beating Atlanta and then having a hard time in SF. The 2007 was an incredibly talented team and I dont believe that this team is in that class. Bass at center was a HUGE MISTAKE and Osi and Jacobs can get cut loose next season. We need to build a better Offensive line and tweak the defensive secondary and we are in business. Lets see what happens, I hope the Giants go all the way, but Beating SF at home is a tough task for any team. Enough said

lavar2
01-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Honestly, this game scares me more than the Packers game next week (if we get that far) because we seem to play so terrible at home. Mixed in with a strong Atlanta run game and a great no huddle, I am not scared but concerned. The Packers are very pass happy and we play better with TC as head coach when we have an us vs the world mentality. IF we win this week, we can do some damage for sure. Nobody in the NFL would scare besides possibly New Orleans. Go Giants!

CTLadyBlue
01-07-2012, 11:40 AM
YES this is not 2007. NO it doesn't mean that because we did it then that we'll do it again. But seeing the eerie comparisons isn't the same as getting your hopes up.

I think the Falcons are toughter than the Bucs back in '07. Playing at home should be an advantage, but the Giants fed off the 'underdog road warriors' back in '07.

If they win tomorrow, I think going into San Fran isn't as ferocious as going into Dallas because a) Dallas is a heated division rival and b) Dallas already beat us twice in the regular season in '07. Not discounting the 49ers, but no one thought the Giants could go into glorious Texas Stadium and beat the highly favored number 1 seed.

And having to go to either GB or NO - well, we know we can play in frigid GB in January - AND win. NO I'm scared of the most because that stadium is more sacred than historic Lambeau and Brees seems to be on a higher pedestal than Favre was back in '07.

Still - anything is possible in this league. I don't make predictions. I just wait and see, but making comparisons doesn't mean we're looking at this team through rose colored glasses. There is NO WAY you could duplicate the unexplainable magic that was the '07 season

chasjay
01-07-2012, 11:46 AM
It is not the 2007 team or the 2007 circumstances, but one thing remains unchanged from then - it all depends on the effort and performance of the New York Giants (players and coaches!)

Cags
01-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Oh and the reason would be. To get to and win the SB. Then we can do all the comparing we want in the offseason

thats what i'm trying to say

Cags
01-07-2012, 12:02 PM

If they win tomorrow, I think going into San Fran isn't as ferocious as going into Dallas because a) Dallas is a heated division rival and b) Dallas already beat us twice in the regular season in '07.
And having to go to either GB or NO - well, we know we can play in frigid GB in January - AND win. NO I'm scared of the most because that stadium is more sacred than historic Lambeau and Brees seems to be on a higher pedestal than Favre was back in '07.

Still - anything is possible in this league. I don't make predictions. I just wait and see, but making comparisons doesn't mean we're looking at this team through rose colored glasses. There is NO WAY you could duplicate the unexplainable magic that was the '07 season

I'm scared of NO at home as well, unless the Lions beat NO, we're not going to SF. How do we know this team can go into frigid GB and play? This team has never done it, the 2007 team did

Cags
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Listen I want this game big time, and we should win it. When we come to play we're better then Atlanta. If our d-line gets consistanty pash rush Atlanta falls hard. We've just been too inconsistant all year tp believe its guarenteed to happen. I hope it does, and then we can take our chances.

I hope givin the fact that the D has gotten healthier, will help its consistancy. I've seen them sleepwalk through too many games this year when the expectations were high. Givin that this is the playoffs, I hope they r past that.

brad
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
This is certainly not the 2007 team, but the similarities are definitely there. In 2007 the Giants started playing up to their potential in the last few games of the season, just like this year. The defense suddenly started playing well which was the catalyst for their rise, just like this year. Don't discount the teams they had to get through in 2007 in order to get to the SB, and I don't think anyone can argue the quality of the NE Patriots that year, they were among the best, if not the best team ever. No, this team is not the 2007 team, but I certainly get the feeling they could achieve the same results...

Sintim97
01-07-2012, 12:29 PM

yeah? what best teams in the league beat us pretty badly this year? except for the saints (who have a recent history of kicking our ***.) id love to hear.

Sintim97
01-07-2012, 12:30 PM
This is certainly not the 2007 team, but the similarities are definitely there. In 2007 the Giants started playing up to their potential in the last few games of the season, just like this year. The defense suddenly started playing well which was the catalyst for their rise, just like this year. Don't discount the teams they had to get through in 2007 in order to get to the SB, and I don't think anyone can argue the quality of the NE Patriots that year, they were among the best, if not the best team ever. No, this team is not the 2007 team, but I certainly get the feeling they could achieve the same results...

with fewells defense, theres no hope for the D to play like that, buddy

jakegibbs
01-07-2012, 12:34 PM
this is not the 2007 team, not even close !! Yeah we squeaked in by beating a sucky Jet team and theN Romo who was injured. I see the Giants beating Atlanta and then having a hard time in SF. The 2007 was an incredibly talented team and I dont believe that this team is in that class. Bass at center was a HUGE MISTAKE and Osi and Jacobs can get cut loose next season. We need to build a better Offensive line and tweak the defensive secondary and we are in business. Lets see what happens, I hope the Giants go all the way, but Beating SF at home is a tough task for any team. Enough said

"I see the Giants beating Atlanta and then having a hard time in SF."

So your predicting a Detroit Lions upset of the Mighty Saints in their stadium? The Giants have a better chance of winning the SB than the Kitty Cats have of beating Drew the Breeze IMHO anyway.

craigjr007
01-07-2012, 01:43 PM
yes, tired of hearing of 2007 already..its 2012...giants are finally coming together a bit...pick up some swagger and attitude...lets keep this 2012 attitude going, stop looking back