PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen Steve Smith???

Latinoshockeyfan
01-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Whatever happened to that sorry money hungry receiver we use to have. Wonder what he's doing these days. He still on facebook? Boy, did Victor Cruz make Smith look like an everyday practice squad receiver. LOL I love Cruz. He's that fire we've needed for Years since Shockey left. That Salsa dance has gotten the football world itching to see it.

Giantsin04
01-07-2012, 02:24 PM
CRUUUUUUUUUUZ</P>

FBomb
01-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry.....who?

Sundown
01-07-2012, 02:31 PM
I think i saw him at Target filling out an application.

BeatYale
01-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Whatever happened to that sorry money hungry receiver we use to have. Wonder what he's doing these days. He still on facebook? Boy, did Victor Cruz make Smith look like an everyday practice squad receiver. LOL I love Cruz. He's that fire we've needed for Years since Shockey left. That Salsa dance has gotten the football world itching to see it.

Money hungry? If anyone's money hungry it's the guy on the Giants who's complaining about his contract every year. I think he wears #72? Heck he still had 3-4 years on his newest deal when he started crying after Tuck signed his extension.

It's easy to make fun of the guy in hind sight.

He was clearly Eli's favorite target and it showed when he brought in 107 catches for 1200 yards. His agent's job is to get him as much money as possible, and he rightfully turned down a deal the Giants offered after the 2009 season because it wasn't on par with the deals other WRs were getting. Still, Smith didn't holdout or cry publicly about wanting a new contract. He elected to play the 2010 season without a new deal, and suffered a knee injury. That's very unfortunate for a player (eg: Terrell Thomas got hurt at the worst possible time as well).

Think of it from the players point of view. He's now hurt and all of the work he put in to get notoriety has lost a lot of it's value because of his knee injury. The more money a team offers him, the more confidence and commitment it shows towards him obviously. I don't blame the guy for feeling disrespected by the Giants.

I'm typically always in favor of the players when there is a contract/money dilemma versus the owners. I watch the games on tv here in California via DirecTV. I'm paying to watch the players play, not to watch the rich owners sit in a press box.

krygny
01-07-2012, 02:48 PM
He's still looking for his Mulligan.

Meanhothead
01-07-2012, 02:49 PM
He was IR'ed with 11 catches, under 200 yards and 1 TD (vs NYG).

dave56dj
01-07-2012, 02:51 PM
If healthy and Mario leaves via FA I would take Smith back as OUR slot guy for a reasonable price for sure.

Agreed with last poster - the NFL is a tough business and the man got hurt at the worst time. A time when he could;ve seen a huge contract for all the bone crunching hits he'd taken previously. Instead he settled for a one year deal which is a pittance compared to what he would've made. As it turns out the Gmen were right THIS YEAR, due to physical ailments he wasnt ready - perhaps he comes somewhat back to form next year. And if our docs think he might - id love him in our slot. If not - we move fwd like we did this year.

conflictxnj
01-07-2012, 02:53 PM
I was gonna get his jersey for $9.95 at Ross. :)

B&RWarrior
01-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Man SS will always be my dog. He came to play every game for the Gmen. Never slacked off and was one of the best when he was healthy. You all want to put it on SS but I know it was the FOs fault. You don't low ball your key players. That is what they did and he took the better offer as he should. If I give you my sweat, blood, and tears then I expect to be paid. As good as he was before the knee injury it was worth the risk of giving him guaranteed money. Reese learned his lesson. He won't try that BS when Cruz or Nicks have to resign.

Man, SS was a good Giant and I say he's a good guy, but at the end of the day you got to do you.

He was a proven commodity. He can still comeback from this knee injury. I wish him the best and good health.

Eli TO Shockey
01-07-2012, 02:59 PM
SS12 will be our slot reciever next year. Looking forward to seeing hiim back in blue, where he belongs

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-07-2012, 03:18 PM
SS12 will be our slot reciever next year. Looking forward to seeing hiim back in blue, where he belongs

so steve smith left bc the Giants supposedly lowballed him. They thought he wouldnt be ready bc of his injury. He got butthurt so he left to the first deal he could get, to the eagles, to prove the Giants org. that he was ready.

Instead he put up incredible (red font) stats that went for 11 catches 124 yards and 1 td AND then got IRed AGAIN. Do you honestly think that the deal the Giants would give him next year, if he comes back, would be better then the eagles gave him this year?

He will be lucky to get a veteran's minimum next year. He did absolutely nothing to prove that he is worth ANY money after his injury.

Should have been patient like our other players, such as Kiwi, who rehabbed properly, followed the team's advice and then came back.

jjj45
01-07-2012, 03:25 PM

so steve smith left bc the Giants supposedly lowballed him. They thought he wouldnt be ready bc of his injury. He got butthurt so he left to the first deal he could get, to the eagles, to prove the Giants org. that he was ready.

Instead he put up incredible (red font) stats that went for 11 catches 124 yards and 1 td AND then got IRed AGAIN. Do you honestly think that the deal the Giants would give him next year, if he comes back, would be better then the eagles gave him this year?

He will be lucky to get a veteran's minimum next year. He did absolutely nothing to prove that he is worth ANY money after his injury.

Should have been patient like our other players, such as Kiwi, who rehabbed properly, followed the team's advice and then came back.Couldn't agree more.

I'm sorry but I don't want the jerk back here ever.

CRUUUZZZZ!!! Is where it's at baby!

P_Simms_#11
01-07-2012, 03:26 PM
He will not be back with the Giants.

FBomb
01-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Man SS will always be my dog. He came to play every game for the Gmen. Never slacked off and was one of the best when he was healthy. You all want to put it on SS but I know it was the FOs fault. You don't low ball your key players. That is what they did and he took the better offer as he should. If I give you my sweat, blood, and tears then I expect to be paid. As good as he was before the knee injury it was worth the risk of giving him guaranteed money. Reese learned his lesson. He won't try that BS when Cruz or Nicks have to resign. Man, SS was a good Giant and I say he's a good guy, but at the end of the day you got to do you. He was a proven commodity. He can still comeback from this knee injury. I wish him the best and good health.</P>

What an asinine post. "Lowballed"??? How did paying him more and putting him on the field before he was ready work out for him and the Eagles??? Not only did he get greedy but he went to a hated division rival!! The ONLY way SS doesn't look wrong in this case is if he did it just to screw with the Eagles.</P>

Steve Smith will be lucky to get the vet minimum from ANY team next season. </P>

Eli TO Shockey
01-07-2012, 03:39 PM

Should have been patient like our other players, such as Kiwi, who rehabbed properly, followed the team's advice and then came back.

the eagles did us a favor and payed him during his rehab year. He got what.. 4 mil this year? he may never make that much the rest of his life. let alone his career. He will come for the vet minimum He will know his role and be the slot reciever that we need on this team, for a cheap price. I cant blame him for what he did. If i was put in the same position, I would most probably have done the same.

in a business where players have a very short span to make their money...his decision was a no brainer.

that being said, him coming back for the vet minimum would also be a no brainer.

FBomb
01-07-2012, 03:52 PM
so steve smith left bc the Giants supposedly lowballed him. They thought he wouldnt be ready bc of his injury. He got butthurt so he left to the first deal he could get, to the eagles, to prove the Giants org. that he was ready. Instead he put up incredible (red font) stats that went for 11 catches 124 yards and 1 td AND then got IRed AGAIN. Do you honestly think that the deal the Giants would give him next year, if he comes back, would be better then the eagles gave him this year? He will be lucky to get a veteran's minimum next year. He did absolutely nothing to prove that he is worth ANY money after his injury. Should have been patient like our other players, such as Kiwi, who rehabbed properly, followed the team's advice and then came back.

the eagles did us a favor and payed him during his rehab year. He got what.. 4 mil this year? he may never make that much the rest of his life. let alone his career. He will come for the vet minimum He will know his role and be the slot reciever that we need on this team, for a cheap price. I cant blame him for what he did. If i was put in the same position, I would most probably have done the same.

in a business where players have a very short span to make their money...his decision was a no brainer.

that being said, him coming back for the vet minimum would also be a no brainer.
</P>

I don't think his decision was"no-brainer"...unless, of course, you menat it took "no-brains" to make a decision like that. Quick money instead of long term health? The doctors told him he wasn't ready and instead of listening, he did what his agent (who made money on it) said he should do.</P>

The Giants and Eli loved the guy and would have helped him with his recovery and would have slowly got him back to his playing form. Instead he bit the hand and went to one of our most hated rivals. </P>

I couldn't care less about the guy now. He made his bed.</P>

jomo
01-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Here goes another Steve Smith thread! lol

shabi
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah. He had a great season catching bombs from Cam Newton.

Eli TO Shockey
01-07-2012, 03:59 PM
so steve smith left bc the Giants supposedly lowballed him. They thought he wouldnt be ready bc of his injury. He got butthurt so he left to the first deal he could get, to the eagles, to prove the Giants org. that he was ready. Instead he put up incredible (red font) stats that went for 11 catches 124 yards and 1 td AND then got IRed AGAIN. Do you honestly think that the deal the Giants would give him next year, if he comes back, would be better then the eagles gave him this year? He will be lucky to get a veteran's minimum next year. He did absolutely nothing to prove that he is worth ANY money after his injury. Should have been patient like our other players, such as Kiwi, who rehabbed properly, followed the team's advice and then came back.

</p>

I don't think his decision was"no-brainer"...unless, of course, you menat it took "no-brains" to make a decision like that. Quick money instead of long term health? The doctors told him he wasn't ready and instead of listening, he did what his agent (who made money on it) said he should do.</p>

The Giants and Eli loved the guy and would have helped him with his recovery and would have slowly got him back to his playing form. Instead he bit the hand and went to one of our most hated rivals. </p>

I couldn't care less about the guy now. He made his bed.</p>

so you're saying his knee didnt heal right? He barely even played. someone offers you 4mil instead of 2 mil, the decision isnt a difficult one when you just had major knee surgery.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah. He had a great season catching bombs from Cam Newton.

LOL yeah thats true. There's only one Steve Smith!

Hey, I am done wasting time on ss12, you made your bed, now sleep in it.

keyofgmen
01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Man SS will always be my dog. He came to play every game for the Gmen. Never slacked off and was one of the best when he was healthy. You all want to put it on SS but I know it was the FOs fault. You don't low ball your key players. That is what they did and he took the better offer as he should. If I give you my sweat, blood, and tears then I expect to be paid. As good as he was before the knee injury it was worth the risk of giving him guaranteed money. Reese learned his lesson. He won't try that BS when Cruz or Nicks have to resign.

Man, SS was a good Giant and I say he's a good guy, but at the end of the day you got to do you.

He was a proven commodity. He can still comeback from this knee injury. I wish him the best and good health.

Giants must have known (thought) that his knee was a major issue. What are you going to do? Pay a guy "just because"? I'm sure if they thought his knee was OK, they would have paid him well.
Heck, if ya got paid for being a nice guy, I'd be a Trillionaire!!

I wish him well.

FBomb
01-07-2012, 04:03 PM

</P>

I don't think his decision was"no-brainer"...unless, of course, you menat it took "no-brains" to make a decision like that. Quick money instead of long term health? The doctors told him he wasn't ready and instead of listening, he did what his agent (who made money on it) said he should do.</P>

The Giants and Eli loved the guy and would have helped him with his recovery and would have slowly got him back to his playing form. Instead he bit the hand and went to one of our most hated rivals. </P>

so you're saying his knee didnt heal right? He barely even played. someone offers you 4mil instead of 2 mil, the decision isnt a difficult one when you just had major knee surgery.
</P>

Her barely played because he wasn't ready and reinjured himself.A quick payday over a long term career may not have been a difficult decision for him, but it wasn't a smart one either. He could have retired as a hero to Giants fans.....now he's an after thought.</P>

nYg24
01-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Talk about falling completely off the map, don't even see him on twitter anymore where he was very active. Thats what he gets for going to Philly, i wouldn't want him back here.

Eli TO Shockey
01-07-2012, 04:07 PM

</p>

I don't think his decision was"no-brainer"...unless, of course, you menat it took "no-brains" to make a decision like that. Quick money instead of long term health? The doctors told him he wasn't ready and instead of listening, he did what his agent (who made money on it) said he should do.</p>

The Giants and Eli loved the guy and would have helped him with his recovery and would have slowly got him back to his playing form. Instead he bit the hand and went to one of our most hated rivals. </p>

</p>

Her barely played because he wasn't ready and reinjured himself.A quick payday over a long term career may not have been a difficult decision for him, but it wasn't a smart one either. He could have retired as a hero to Giants fans.....now he's an after thought.</p>

he reinjured his knee?? i dont remember hearing anything about that.

NYgiants141
01-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Steve smith? Oh, the Carolina star?

FBomb
01-07-2012, 04:15 PM

</P>

</P>

Her barely played because he wasn't ready and reinjured himself.A quick payday over a long term career may not have been a difficult decision for him, but it wasn't a smart one either. He could have retired as a hero to Giants fans.....now he's an after thought.</P>

</P>

So I guess the eagles put him on IR for ****s and giggles?</P>

</P>

gmen0820
01-07-2012, 04:16 PM
I was ecstatic that the Eagles signed Smith for us. They motivated us, payed him for us, rehabbed him for us, and we can have him back as soon as he is healthy again with a knowledge of Mornhenwig, the Eagles and their organization, all without doing anything for them.

I was 100% right with what has happened to him in Philly, now, I just hope I'm right that he will return.

AntB
01-07-2012, 04:21 PM
He might be OK the second year after surgery. probably wouldn't hurt to have him in the slot with Cruz and Nicks starting wides. A speed or tall receiver wouldn't hurt either though. I hear Walmart is dangling assistant manager at SS though so it might be tough to get him back.

BlueJayC
01-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I still think he'll be a Giant next year......

I think the subject has been beaten to death but if they can get him cheap after testing the knee out for a year it'd be worth especially with the potential departure of Manningham.

BigBlue1971
01-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Steve bolted for the cash. if he didnt leave we might never have known the potential of Cruz and thats a good thing!</P>

i agree, he could be back here next season for a tryout. he knows the system and he also knows the Giants will take care of 'em without a load of crap.</P>

he made a bad decision which is now effecting his career. </P>

Ruttiger711
01-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Money hungry? I think so - but not because he took the Eagles' money - but because the Giants tried to lock him up early BEFORE his injury.

The amount was rumored to be around 35 MILLION DOLLARS for 5 years but he (and more than likely his agent) decided they were better than that and gamble his career. They did and they lost.

Eli TO Shockey
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM

</p>

</p>

Her barely played because he wasn't ready and reinjured himself.A quick payday over a long term career may not have been a difficult decision for him, but it wasn't a smart one either. He could have retired as a hero to Giants fans.....now he's an after thought.</p>

</p>

So I guess the eagles put him on IR for ****s and giggles?</p>

</p>

yea. since the only way to land on IR is the re-injure a previous injury.

FBomb
01-07-2012, 05:28 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

It was in this case....please just go read something instead of blindly lashimg out because we don't agree.</P>

jomo
01-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Steve bolted for the cash. if he didnt leave we might never have known the potential of Cruz and thats a good thing!</P>

i agree, he could be back here next season for a tryout. he knows the system and he also knows the Giants will take care of 'em without a load of crap.</P>

he made a bad decision which is now effecting his career. </P>......not sure it was a bad decision. If he never plays again, he earned his family an extra million over what we would have offered. If he stayed with us (for a one year deal at $1M) he wouldn't have played much because of the injury and the play of Cruz. So he'd be a free agent now with little or no playing time this year (same as Philly). I'm not sure how that all plays into "affecting his career". He's still got to prove to someone that he can play in this league which is the same as if he stayed with us. If he can't play in this league (who knows?) then he got his family an extra million dollars which is a huge amount of money for someone who may not be a professional athlete again. It's just business. The Giants made the right decision, Smith made the right decision, the Eagles guessed wrong, big time haha!

FBomb
01-07-2012, 05:37 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Here (http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Steve-Smith-to-IR.html)</P>

Medisleman
01-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Steve Smith didn't want to take Doc Warren's advice and rehab properly. He has paid for that mistake. We won't be seeing him back in Blue, and maybe not even in Green.

Dirt66
01-07-2012, 07:16 PM
NO F'n WAY!!!!! We don't need him......many don't want him!!! Have a good life former#12......

Drez
01-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Whatever happened to that sorry money hungry receiver we use to have. Wonder what he's doing these days. He still on facebook? Boy, did Victor Cruz make Smith look like an everyday practice squad receiver. LOL I love Cruz. He's that fire we've needed for Years since Shockey left. That Salsa dance has gotten the football world itching to see it. Money hungry? If anyone's money hungry it's the guy on the Giants who's complaining about his contract every year. I think he wears #72? Heck he still had 3-4 years on his newest deal when he started crying after Tuck signed his extension. It's easy to make fun of the guy in hind sight. He was clearly Eli's favorite target and it showed when he brought in 107 catches for 1200 yards. His agent's job is to get him as much money as possible, and he rightfully turned down a deal the Giants offered after the 2009 season because it wasn't on par with the deals other WRs were getting. Still, Smith didn't holdout or cry publicly about wanting a new contract. He elected to play the 2010 season without a new deal, and suffered a knee injury. That's very unfortunate for a player (eg: Terrell Thomas got hurt at the worst possible time as well). Think of it from the players point of view. He's now hurt and all of the work he put in to get notoriety has lost a lot of it's value because of his knee injury. The more money a team offers him, the more confidence and commitment it shows towards him obviously. I don't blame the guy for feeling disrespected by the Giants. I'm typically always in favor of the players when there is a contract/money dilemma versus the owners. I watch the games on tv here in California via DirecTV. I'm paying to watch the players play, not to watch the rich owners sit in a press box.</P>

The deal that Smith was supposedly offered would have given him nearly $7m a year. I think that's more than on par with what others were getting. Especially those that aren't home run hitters.</P>

Considering that the Giants didn't anticipate Smith playing much more than half the season, as they were going to nurse him back, the contract he was offered post-injury was more than fair. But, even if it wasn't, Smith and his agent are ****ing morons for not bringing the Eagles offer back to the Giants in an attempt to start a bidding war.</P>

Here's looking at it from the player's view: If I were Smith, I'd be kicking myself for not taking the deal that would have made me one of the top paid WRs in the league.</P>

jjj45
01-07-2012, 07:28 PM
I was ecstatic that the Eagles signed Smith for us. They motivated us, payed him for us, rehabbed him for us, and we can have him back as soon as he is healthy again with a knowledge of Mornhenwig, the Eagles and their organization, all without doing anything for them.

I was 100% right with what has happened to him in Philly, now, I just hope I'm right that he will return.How do you know he is going to be healthy? And be the player he once was for us?

BigBlue121
01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I was gonna get his jersey for $9.95 at Ross. :)LMAO i would still try n talk them down some more

yatitle
01-07-2012, 08:01 PM
He was IR'ed with 11 catches, under 200 yards and 1 TD (vs NYG).

He's 1 of the few players that make Plax's season seem good. Wow haven't heard any Eli should have asked the FO to sign Plax threads lately. bahahahahahahahaha

Voldamort
01-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Steve who? Always hurt Steve Smith!!!

JJC7301
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
He wasn't money grubbing. He was a good and solid Giant who had a very serious injury who went with a team that guaranteed him money. Coming off of an injury like he had, his career was uncertain. In that case, he did the right thing because he may never be the same player that he was.
If MM is gone next year, I would definitely take SS back again for an inexpensive 1 year contract. He may be fully healed and ready to play in a system that he knows.

JJC7301
01-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Steve who? Always hurt Steve Smith!!!

SS made plenty of big and important catches for this team and plenty of BIG hits -- some of which I couldn't believe he got up from.

It's okay for the FO and fans to say "cut this guy or that guy" for cap and other reasons, but it's not okay for the player to look out for his own personal / financial well being? Nonsense.

Voldamort
01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Was never a big fan,no speed this one had,yes no speed thanks YODI.

Drystt
01-07-2012, 10:51 PM
As much as this move really broke our hearts, it's a business, whatever. Giants turned out better without him, without this move Cruz wouldn't of gotten his chance and we wouldn't have the superstar we have now. Steve Smith will be back next season, especially if Manningham is let go. He will be a solid 3rd WR option.

netplus
01-07-2012, 11:27 PM
SS was a great slot receiver and clutch on 3rd down. But it was painful to watch him run downfield routes, and his YAC was a paltry 2.2 yards per reception. With YAC like that, I'm not surprised the Giants didn't offer more money.

gmen0820
01-07-2012, 11:58 PM

I was 100% right with what has happened to him in Philly, now, I just hope I'm right that he will return.How do you know he is going to be healthy? And be the player he once was for us?
Players regain form after such an injury after the second year. I had been saying it since he got the surgery.

This is all assuming that bone bruise that landed him on IR is just a bone bruise.

jjj45
01-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Players regain form after such an injury after the second year. I had been saying it since he got the surgery.

This is all assuming that bone bruise that landed him on IR is just a bone bruise.Hypothetically. But there is no telling if he can be the player he once was. That was a serious injury.

I loved Smith when he was here. I really did.

Its not so much me hating what he did. It's if he could even be affective for us anymore.

sc_markt
01-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Steve who???

gmen0820
01-08-2012, 12:44 PM

This is all assuming that bone bruise that landed him on IR is just a bone bruise.Hypothetically. But there is no telling if he can be the player he once was. That was a serious injury.

I loved Smith when he was here. I really did.

Its not so much me hating what he did. It's if he could even be affective for us anymore.
I think it's happened enough to make the assumption. I think it's happened enough with us the past couple years to further make the assumption. Robbins and Cofield recovered very well after a bad first year.