PDA

View Full Version : THE END OF DOMINANT DEFENSE?

Sundown
01-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Seriously i think the end of a big bad defense is done in the league. Minus a few good defenses, the league as a whole can't cover anyone. How the hell do you draft for this type of offense these days? You need talent in all major spots.

Voldamort
01-07-2012, 10:03 PM
It will come back around

NYgiants141
01-07-2012, 10:04 PM
It will come back around

Agree, with all these teams becoming high rated offenses, the team with the best defense will come out on top sooner or later.

buddy33
01-07-2012, 10:37 PM
The league is made for offense now. The days of hard clean hits are over. If a Safety looks at a WR the wrong way he will get a personal foul penalty.

Sundown
01-07-2012, 10:52 PM
It will come back around

Hope you're right cause id hate to have to watch our games every week like this.

JJC7301
01-07-2012, 11:04 PM
It will come back around
It will. I would say that the 49ers had a dominant D this year, and I would still put the Steelers up there.

It's a matter of the entire league adapting to the modern offense / QB league. The adaptation will occur, and hopefully it will be the Giants.

NYGRealityCheck
01-08-2012, 01:04 AM
San Fran, Steelers, and Ravens are in the playoffs too.

People are just getting carried away by record setting stats and mezmorized by huges scores against teams with no defense.

jjj45
01-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Seriously i think the end of a big bad defense is done in the league. Minus a few good defenses, the league as a whole can't cover anyone. How the hell do you draft for this type of offense these days? You need talent in all major spots.People might think this is some kind of conspiracy theory, but the league wants it this way.

What drives the NFL? Money. And Rodger Goodell will do whatever he can to get it. The days of smash mouth D are gone.

The league is tailored to protect QB's WR's....all offensive players. Countless penalties are handicapping the defense. It's not about adapting. The league won't let you.

Its all about offense now. People won't watch the NFL if it's a offensive struggle negated by sound defense. The attention span of most fans is zero.

More offense means more fans and more fans = more $$$

It's a money league now and it wont change. One of the reasons my father quit watching football all together.

egyptian420
01-08-2012, 01:15 AM
It will come back around
not with the way rules are now

PrideofNY
01-08-2012, 01:27 AM
I think there will be rule changes if this trend continues.

Maybe changing the 5 yards of contact to 10 would bring things back to normal. They also have to cut wayyyyy down on defensive pass interference penalties.

GmenFan1980
01-08-2012, 01:33 AM
I have no problem with an offensive shootout every now and again, but jeez i feel like there are multiple high scoring games every week.

People think this is entertaining watching defenses get embarrassed every week?

it's gotten to the point where i don't say "knock it down" when people are covering, but instead "please don't get flagged" and that is annoying having to think that way for every pass play. /rant over

FlyingTruck
01-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Seriously i think the end of a big bad defense is done in the league. Minus a few good defenses, the league as a whole can't cover anyone. How the hell do you draft for this type of offense these days? You need talent in all major spots.People might think this is some kind of conspiracy theory, but the league wants it this way.

What drives the NFL? Money. And Rodger Goodell will do whatever he can to get it. The days of smash mouth D are gone.

The league is tailored to protect QB's WR's....all offensive players. Countless penalties are handicapping the defense. It's not about adapting. The league won't let you.

Its all about offense now. People won't watch the NFL if it's a offensive struggle negated by sound defense. The attention span of most fans is zero.

More offense means more fans and more fans = more $$$

It's a money league now and it wont change. One of the reasons my father quit watching football all together.
Very good post JJJ!

G-Men Surg.
01-08-2012, 02:10 AM
The league is made for offense now. The days of hard clean hits are over. If a Safety looks at a WR the wrong way he will get a personal foul penalty.
This !

Sundown
01-08-2012, 02:17 AM
I like a good offense but damn its getting a little out of hand. The Lions DB touched the receivers helmet and got flagged. Its almost to the point why draft for defensive players? Load up on offensive weapons and outscore everyone.

simms56
01-08-2012, 03:00 AM
I like a good offense but damn its getting a little out of hand. The Lions DB touched the receivers helmet and got flagged. Its almost to the point why draft for defensive players? Load up on offensive weapons and outscore everyone.

That penalty was absurd. I would be loading up on olinemen, WR's, TE's if I were drafting. Whats the point of worrying about a secondary? Even if someone is good the schemes, rules, injuries and lack of depth are likely to render those skills marginal. Any decent athlete with good hands who is tall is going to be turned into a WR long before the NFL. Decent RB's can be had as undrafted FA's. It seems like the only defensive positions that matter are d line and mlb at this point.

BlueSanta
01-08-2012, 04:33 AM
The league seriously needs to consider changing some rules back.

Consider the following rule changes:

1)By itself, the rule changes to defensive backs not being allowed to contact WRs after 5 yards was not too devistating. Defense still mattered, though it took a hit.

2) By itself, the new rules regarding defenseless recievers and head blows are not that big of a deal, They implemented this rule in college football too. Its good for the long term health of the players.

3) By itself, the rule allowing QBs to throw the ball away once outside the tackle box was no big deal at all.

But, when you combine those 3 rules it absolutely hamstings defenses in the NFL.

Prior to these rule changes, teams had a hard time running slant and crossing routes because the CB could disrupt the timing of the pattern by disrupting the WRs release from the line. Slant routes were used far less often, maybe a couple times a game. Now slants and cross patterns are a staple of every offense and are in every system. Since Dbs cannot hinder a wr release much and Safeties cannot level a WR who is led right into him, there is litterally no defensing a well run crossing route or a Slant.

I seriously suggest the NFL do like College and give Dbs some leway with regards to contacting WRs after 5 yards. Im not suggesting allowing muggings.

After all, defense still matters in college.

stormblue
01-08-2012, 05:59 AM
average PPG this (2011) year was 42.
average PPG for (2008) year was 44.

believe it or not scoring has been on the decline
for the past decade which is why the league is making rules to balance it out.

yatitle
01-08-2012, 08:07 AM

1)By itself, the rule changes to defensive backs not being allowed to contact WRs after 5 yards was not too devistating. Defense still mattered, though it took a hit.

2) By itself, the new rules regarding defenseless recievers and head blows are not that big of a deal, They implemented this rule in college football too. Its good for the long term health of the players.

3) By itself, the rule allowing QBs to throw the ball away once outside the tackle box was no big deal at all.

But, when you combine those 3 rules it absolutely hamstings defenses in the NFL.

*Prior to these rule changes, teams had a hard time running slant and crossing routes because the CB could disrupt the timing of the pattern by disrupting the WRs release from the line. Slant routes were used far less often, maybe a couple times a game. Now slants and cross patterns are a staple of every offense and are in every system. Since Dbs cannot hinder a wr release much and Safeties cannot level a WR who is led right into him, there is litterally no defensing a well run crossing route or a Slant.

I seriously suggest the NFL do like College and give Dbs some leway with regards to contacting WRs after 5 yards. Im not suggesting allowing muggings.

I'll add 1 more. Adopt the college game's pass interference rules of 15 yards. I'm sick and tired of judgement calls determining games.

egyptian420
01-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Prior to these rule changes, teams had a hard time running slant and crossing routes because the CB could disrupt the timing of the pattern by disrupting the WRs release from the line. Slant routes were used far less often, maybe a couple times a game. Now slants and cross patterns are a staple of every offense and are in every system. Since Dbs cannot hinder a wr release much and Safeties cannot level a WR who is led right into him, there is litterally no defensing a well run crossing route or a Slant.

This should be written in a document and mailed to Goodell, who will most likely throw it in the garbage.

miked1958
01-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Yep, with teams like saints, packers and pats they are basically saying they van line up anyone they want on D and still win the game by out scoring the other team

miked1958
01-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Even texans put up 31 in there win saturday

miked1958
01-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Both games pretty much blowouts.

Hoping ours is to and we win by 21

brad
01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Seriously i think the end of a big bad defense is done in the league. Minus a few good defenses, the league as a whole can't cover anyone. How the hell do you draft for this type of offense these days? You need talent in all major spots.

Rules certainly favor the offense more now than ever, but it is the natural flow of the NFL. Defenses will adjust, most likely by returning to the 3-4 schemes we saw virtually disappear in the late 80's/early 90's or by finding new creative ways to disrupt the QB.

Redeyejedi
01-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Seriously i think the end of a big bad defense is done in the league. Minus a few good defenses, the league as a whole can't cover anyone. How the hell do you draft for this type of offense these days? You need talent in all major spots.I dont know how u stop these inside receivers in the NFL nowadays. U used to be able to control the middle of the field by laying someone out.WR's would think twice about coming across the middle. now u cant do that. Some of these TE's and there are more coming out this year are almost impossible to defend. They just dont make LB's that are big and hippy enough to cover these guys. I know everyone hates zone defense but thats the defense u play when u cant match up physically

Redeyejedi
01-08-2012, 10:46 AM

*Prior to these rule changes, teams had a hard time running slant and crossing routes because the CB could disrupt the timing of the pattern by disrupting the WRs release from the line. Slant routes were used far less often, maybe a couple times a game. Now slants and cross patterns are a staple of every offense and are in every system. Since Dbs cannot hinder a wr release much and Safeties cannot level a WR who is led right into him, there is litterally no defensing a well run crossing route or a Slant.

i was flipping out about this on Twitter last week and believe it or not we r in the vast minority

Sundown
01-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Crazy the NFLN is talking about this very question now

BigBlue wins
01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
This is a bit true, but look at Houston's D and Baltimore. Strong Defenses are not dead, just a dying breed. It takes some ingenuity and an acknowledgement of your resources on the team. Big kudos to Houston and Phillips by taking what they had and re-emerging as a great defense.

Redeyejedi
01-08-2012, 11:30 AM
This is a bit true, but look at Houston's D and Baltimore.* Strong Defenses are not dead, just a dying breed.* It takes some ingenuity and an acknowledgement of your resources on the team.* Big kudos to Houston and Phillips by taking what they had and re-emerging as a great defense.

Might see a 1 gap 3-4 in a couple years its not feasible at the moment with Osi and Tuck. i do think if U played Kiwi and JPP as the 2 Outside Linebackers though u could have something