PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Tynes in a big spot

gxbhkt
01-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Makes me nervous in a big spot. Remember how hard he tried to kick us out of the SB against Packers

NYgiants141
01-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Makes me nervous in a big spot. Remember how hard he tried to kick us out of the SB against Packers

Yes, especially with his inconsistency lately, another missed one today.

titwio
01-08-2012, 10:22 PM
It was a bad snap...IIRC it was a high snap and a good job by Steve getting it down but yeah...it still should have been made.

Idkaname
01-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Name 1 game he lost us

TuckYou
01-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Yeah, he missed a fg, but did you see those kickoffs? Loved em. His leg got stronger or.he was kicking with the wind at his back all day. Endzone every time.

stormblue
01-08-2012, 10:32 PM
hopefully we just keep stuffing it in the end zone
and only have to rely on him for extra points.

although he usually makes it when it matters.

Tenspro2002
01-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah, he missed a fg, but did you see those kickoffs? Loved em. His leg got stronger or.he was kicking with the wind at his back all day. Endzone every time.

He's been booming kickoffs all year. An unexpected bright spot on special teams.

He had been solid in the FG department until recently. The last two games he's missed from 40 and from 32. Very disconcerting looking forward to next week where, if we're going to win, it will most likely come down to 3 points or less.

NYGRealityCheck
01-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Like the game winning 47-yard game winning FG in OT against the Packers in Lambeau in the 2007 season NFC Championship playoff game... How soon we forget...

KidA
01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Tynes is somewhat erratic but he's good when the game is on the line. He'll miss a 30-yarder or an extra point here and there, but he'll make the game winning 50-yarders.

He's one of the better kickers in the league.

JMFP2
01-08-2012, 10:38 PM
I have zero confidence in Tynes.</P>

He has a weak leg....the only reason he's "booming" kicks is because the moved the kickoff up.</P>

He can't kick beyond 50, and often misses inside 40.</P>

</P>

JMFP2
01-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Like the game winning 47-yard game winning FG in OT against the Packers in Lambeau in the 2007 season NFC Championship playoff game... How soon we forget...</P>

Third time was the charm.</P>

Time to sign some NCAA cannon next season. The colleges are stocked with kids who can blast it. For the life of me, I don't understand why we don't get someone who has a shot from 55-60 yards.</P>

gmen0820
01-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Name 1 game he lost us

Unless you count missing an early FG and losing by 1 a loss, but that's a ignorant way of looking at it. Other then that, it hasn't happened.

JJC7301
01-08-2012, 10:49 PM
He's been our kicker for 5 years for a reason -- he's got a strong leg and he's pretty accurate. There are better kickers than him, but there's also A LOT worse.

Concerning that GB game, the 1st missed kick was from like 44 yards out and up to that point, NO ONE had ever made a 40+ FG in GB in January in the playoffs. That goes for GB kickers as well.

On the second kick, it was a high snap. On each of these kicks you could tell that the ball was being affected by the cold weather -- it was floating like a feather in the wind. Everyone who's played football as a kid knows that the football behaves differently in cold weather.

On the 3rd kick, instead of freezing out of fear on the sidelines he ran out onto the field trying to force Coughlin's hand in going for the kick instead of the 1st down. Coughlin gave Tynes a 3rd chance and he made a 40+ yarder which was the first time ANYONE had ever kicked a 40+ yarder in GB in January. He's been solid ever since.

gxbhkt
01-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Like the game winning 47-yard game winning FG in OT against the Packers in Lambeau in the 2007 season NFC Championship playoff game... How soon we forget...

On his third try to win the game

Jiffy Jeff
01-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Like the game winning 47-yard game winning FG in OT against the Packers in Lambeau in the 2007 season NFC Championship playoff game... How soon we forget...</P>

Time to sign some NCAA cannon next season.* The colleges are stocked with kids who can blast it.* For the life of me, I don't understand why we don't get someone who has a shot from 55-60 yards.</P>

WOW. That's all. Just wow for now, man..........really.

JJC7301
01-08-2012, 10:54 PM

Time to sign some NCAA cannon next season.* The colleges are stocked with kids who can blast it.* For the life of me, I don't understand why we don't get someone who has a shot from 55-60 yards.</P>

WOW. That's all. Just wow for now, man..........really.
Tynes can hit it from 55+.

bearbryant
01-08-2012, 10:59 PM
As long as Tc & Co. are here, so is Tynes. Too bad. It must be coughlins loyalty thing! Or the pix he has of TC with a monkey!

Tenspro2002
01-08-2012, 11:06 PM

On his third try to win the game

The miss as time expired was especially horrendous and breathed new life into the Lambeau crowd. I thought that doomed us, but fortunately the ol' gunslinger bailed us out, and Tynes came through with the biggest kick in Giants history since Wide Right.

poppa smurph
01-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Like the game winning 47-yard game winning FG in OT against the Packers in Lambeau in the 2007 season NFC Championship playoff game... How soon we forget... On his third try to win the game The miss as time expired was especially horrendous and breathed new life into the Lambeau crowd. I thought that doomed us, but fortunately the ol' gunslinger bailed us out, and Tynes came through with the biggest kick in Giants history since Wide Right.At the time that was the longest field-goal at Lambeau, in a playoff game, wasn't it? Might still be...

JMFP2
01-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Tynes has only made 19 field goals this season.....he's tied with a few others at #28-32 in the NFL. </P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade/seasontype/2</P>

#23 in the NFL in percentage. </P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct/seasontype/2</P>

As far as field goals from 40+ are concerned....he is ranked #29 in the NFL</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade40_49/seasontype/2</P>

Field goals from 30+......he is ranked #30-32.</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade30_39/seasontype/2</P>

The stats don't lie.....they say "LAME"</P>

</P>

TrueBlue07
01-08-2012, 11:22 PM
#29 in field goals made.</p>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade/seasontype/2</p>

#23 in the NFL in percentage. </p>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct/seasontype/2</p>

LAME.</p>

#30 (tied) in field goals attempted.

40% of his misses were from 50+, so he doesn't have the strongest leg, that makes him unreliable?

If you guys really think he is our biggest problem going in to next week you are just looking for reasons we will lose.

GOBIGBLUE52
01-08-2012, 11:25 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade/seasontype/2</p>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct/seasontype/2</p>

LAME.</p>

40% of his misses were from 50+, so he doesn't have the strongest leg, that makes him unreliable?

If you guys really think he is our biggest problem going in to next week you are just looking for reasons we will lose.

+1 people are REALLY looking for things at this point. His miss today was when we had the game well in hand. As long as he makes the ones that are a matter of winning and losing, who cares.

The NCAA is stocked with guys who can make 55-60 yarders? Give me a break! What, should we trade up for Andrew Luck next?

JMFP2
01-08-2012, 11:27 PM
#29 in field goals made.</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade/seasontype/2</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct/seasontype/2</P>

LAME.</P>

</P>

He's mediocre....and that's being generous.</P>

JMFP2
01-08-2012, 11:30 PM

LAME.</P>

+1 people are REALLY looking for things at this point. His miss today was when we had the game well in hand. As long as he makes the ones that are a matter of winning and losing, who cares.

The NCAA is stocked with guys who can make 55-60 yarders? Give me a break! What, should we trade up for Andrew Luck next?
</P>

</P>

He blew an easy FG against Dallas, and just blew another easy FG against the Falcons.</P>

Both chipshots could have been huge, but have been glossed over because the Giants put the games away.</P>

That's why he isn't called upon to kick more....because A) he is inaccurate and B) he doesnt' have a strong leg.</P>

</P>

</P>

TrueBlue07
01-08-2012, 11:34 PM
come at us with statistics, not your guess on why he isnt used more.

Fact is we all know he doesn't have the strongest leg, and 40% of his misses came from 50+ yards out. If he wasn't trusted, why is he attempting 50+ yard field goal attempts?

He had two bad misses recently, this is true. Neither of them cost us the game, and for me when he goes out to attempt a "big" kick, I am confident he'll nail it.

Ruttiger711
01-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Tynes makes me nervous too - while they get marked down as a successful kick, he's had more than a few under-30 yarders squeak in throughout his career.

People talk like he went 100% in the NFC title game.

TrueBlue07
01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Tynes makes me nervous too - while they get marked down as a successful kick, he's had more than a few under-30 yarders squeak in throughout his career.

and other people talk as if he was missing chip shots in the game, in
ideal weather. nevermind all 3 of them would have been the longest FG
hit in the history of the stadium in the playoffs. nah, stupid factors like distance, and weather mean nothing to kickers

JMFP2
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Fact is we all know he doesn't have the strongest leg, and 40% of his misses came from 50+ yards out. If he wasn't trusted, why is he attempting 50+ yard field goal attempts?

He had two bad misses recently, this is true. Neither of them cost us the game, and for me when he goes out to attempt a "big" kick, I am confident he'll nail it.

</P>

I just gave you the statistics.</P>

In terms of field goals made, and percentage, he ranks at the bottom of the NFL.</P>

The guy we let go (Bryant) is at the top of the league. I support Coughlin on alot of things, but when it comes to the kicking game, I'll never undertand the dude.</P>

The Giants should make placekicking a priority....as a northern, outdoor team, the kicker should be an weapon/advantage.....take a look at Robbie Gould in Chicago or Gostkowski in New England for two examples.</P>

Instead, every year they tolerate mediocrity at the position. It baffles me.</P>

GOBIGBLUE52
01-08-2012, 11:42 PM

LAME.</p>

</p>

</p>

He blew an easy FG against Dallas, and just blew another easy FG against the Falcons.</p>

Both chipshots could have been huge, but have been glossed over because the Giants put the games away.</p>

That's why he isn't called upon to kick more....because A) he is inaccurate and B) he doesnt' have a strong leg.</p>

</p>

</p>

Ok, different approach: Has Tynes missing an easy field goal(s) (inside of 40 yards with minimal wind) cost the Giants a game this year?

Now, just because the answer to that question is probably no (I don't know off the top of my head) doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, but the guy's proven he can make a kick when it counts. For that he gets a pass. Need I remind of the kickers we had here before him?

Furthermore, he isn't called upon because our offense puts the ball in the endzone.

And please don't cite Matt Bryant as an example. Matt Bryant wasn't a good kicker until he LEFT New York. Same thing as Sean Payton not being a good coach until he left (remember, he was fired because the offense couldn't score in the red zone, leading Fassel to strip him of playcalling)

JJC7301
01-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Tynes has only made 19 field goals this season.....he's tied with a few others at #28-32 in the NFL.* </P>

As far as field goals from 40+ are concerned....he is ranked #29 in the NFL</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade40_49/seasontype/2</P>

Field goals from 30+......he is ranked #30-32.</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalsMade30_39/seasontype/2</P>

The stats don't lie.....they say "LAME"</P>

*</P>
REALLY?!? Wow, I didn't realize that. I thought he was more solid.

Well, I would never have a problem using a higher draft pick on a solid kicker that will be on the team for the next 10 - 12 years. Who was the kicker on the Pats and Colts who was solid for so long? I'd love a guy like that and would be more than happy to spend a high pick on it.

Good kickers are so important and is a position that I think the Giants have had as a black-hole for much of the past 15 years or so -- maybe that's why Tynes seems better than average to me.

TrueBlue07
01-08-2012, 11:45 PM

</p>

I just gave you the statistics.</p>

In terms of field goals made, and percentage, he ranks at the bottom of the NFL.</p>

The guy we let go (Bryant) is at the top of the league. I support Coughlin on alot of things, but when it comes to the kicking game, I'll never undertand the dude.</p>

The Giants should make placekicking a priority....as a northern, outdoor team, the kicker should be an weapon/advantage.....take a look at Robbie Gould in Chicago or Gostkowski in New England for two examples.</p>

Instead, every year they tolerate mediocrity at the position. It baffles me.</p>

the statistics you gave did not support the theory you gathered from
them. He is 29th in FG made, and is 30th in FG attempted the two
statistics are in proportion to each other. It would be nearly
impossible to be top 10 in FG made, and 30th in FG attempted. The
Giants offense gets 7 a lot, they dont need 3. Almost half of his
misses are from over 50 yards, which are not easy kicks to make, and if
he can't hit a 55 yard field goal that doesn't make him dogshi.t. He
isn't the best kicker in the league, no one is claiming that. But to
say he is a problem for the team is making me laugh, I'm sorry.

Tell me, if he is such a bad kicker, and can't be trusted, why did he
attempt 3 kicks of 50+ which would be 12.5% of his attempts for the year?

And if you're seriously going to compare a guy who kicks at Metlife, to a guy who plays 90% of his games in domes, or in ideal kicking weather then there's really not much to discuss on the topic.

Ruttiger711
01-08-2012, 11:46 PM

hit in the history of the stadium in the playoffs. nah, stupid factors like distance, and weather mean nothing to kickers

I highly doubt a 36 and a 43 yarder would have set records in any stadium.

JMFP2
01-08-2012, 11:48 PM

LAME.</P>

</P>

</P>

He blew an easy FG against Dallas, and just blew another easy FG against the Falcons.</P>

Both chipshots could have been huge, but have been glossed over because the Giants put the games away.</P>

That's why he isn't called upon to kick more....because A) he is inaccurate and B) he doesnt' have a strong leg.</P>

Ok, different approach: Has Tynes missing an easy field goal(s) (inside of 40 yards with minimal wind) cost the Giants a game this year?

Now, just because the answer to that question is probably no (I don't know off the top of my head) doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, but the guy's proven he can make a kick when it counts. For that he gets a pass. Need I remind of the kickers we had here before him?

Furthermore, he isn't called upon because our offense puts the ball in the endzone.
</P>

Trust me, I really hope I'm eating crow over Tynes next week. But I'm tired of watching the Giants punt from inside the opponents 40.</P>

TrueBlue07
01-08-2012, 11:50 PM

in the playoffs, when the conditions in green bay are their worst, the 43 yard kick would have set a record. After Tynes FG, he now holds the record for longest field goal in the stadiums playoff history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Tynes

Tynes missed two potential game-winning field goals against the Green Bay Packers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers) in the 2007-2008 NFC Championship Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFC_Championship_Game). He connected on a third in
overtime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtime_%28sports%29#American_and_Canadian_footba ll), scoring from 47 yards and
sending the Giants to Super Bowl XLII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLII). This crucial play was later called "Tynes'
Redeemer" and "Third Tynes the Charm." The game-winning field goal was
the longest kicked in postseason history at <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambeau_Field" title="Lambeau Field">Lambeau
Field</a>.

Seriously, if you guys are going to dog the player, check the facts first.

JMFP2
01-08-2012, 11:52 PM
"Third Tynes" is a perfect nickname for the guy.

Ruttiger711
01-09-2012, 12:02 AM

in the playoffs, when the conditions in green bay are their worst, the 43 yard kick would have set a record.* After Tynes FG, he now holds the record for longest field goal in the stadiums playoff history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Tynes

Tynes missed two potential game-winning field goals against the Green Bay Packers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers) in the 2007-2008 NFC Championship Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFC_Championship_Game). He connected on a third in
overtime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtime_%28sports%29#American_and_Canadian_footba ll), scoring from 47 yards and
sending the Giants to Super Bowl XLII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLII). This crucial play was later called "Tynes'
Redeemer" and "Third Tynes the Charm." The game-winning field goal was
the longest kicked in postseason history at <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambeau_Field" title="Lambeau Field">Lambeau
Field</a>.

Seriously, if you guys are going to dog the player, check the facts first.

You mean the facts that just disproved your own statement that 3 of his kicks would have broken records?

And thats the whole point with Tynes - I have more faith in his longer kicks than I do with the "makeable" 30-40 yarders.

He makes me nervous - that's not dogging him - he's 79% this year.

miken609
01-09-2012, 12:18 AM
remember that chargers game from 09 when he decided not to kick it.... lol. we lost that game by 3 if i remember correctly

miken609
01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
remember that chargers game from 09 when he decided not to kick it.... lol. we lost that game by 3 if i remember correctly

actually we lost it by only 1 point so there's definitely a game that he lost for us

berya
01-09-2012, 12:41 AM
I stopped worrying about the guy a long time ago. Have no problems with him whatsoever. Seems like he has made almost every field goal that meant anything in the last 3 years. At least it seems that way to me obviously there are people who see it differently. I, for one, trust the guy, and don't want him replaced at all.

JMFP2
01-09-2012, 12:47 AM
I've got more confidence my paper boy will hit my porch than Tynes will hit from 40+.

PIERCEnumber58rules
01-09-2012, 07:45 AM
I've got more confidence my paper boy will hit my porch than Tynes will hit from 40+.

+1. It's insane the way people defend him. Sorry, but we can do ALOT better than Tynes. How many points have we not scored because TC would rather go for it on 4th down instead of kicking a 50 yard FG? It happens every game. Is their a stat for going for it on 4th down because you don't trust your kicker??? I'm not a stat guy. I go by what my eyes show me. But his FG% is padded by TC protecting him, and even then, he misses kicks that many high school soccer players could make. Do I think he's the worst? No. Do I trust him? No. Nobody can convince me he's the best we can do. Jeez. You'd think he was Adam Vinatieri the way people defend him. He's average at best! Is that our standard? Why does he deserve immunity?