PDA

View Full Version : The Safety

NJ10
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Eli was outside of the tackle box. I'm not sure what the rule is, was it a safety becuase that rule dosent apply if you throw it away in the endzone?

lamas
01-09-2012, 08:31 AM
He was outside the tackle box, but the ball has to reach the line of scrimmage or be thrown near an eligible receiver. It didn't do either so it was a safety.

Morehead State
01-09-2012, 08:33 AM
He was outside the tackle box, but the ball has to reach the line of scrimmage or be thrown near an eligible receiver. It didn't do either so it was a safety.
</P>

The ball doesn't have to reach the line of scrimmage on the fly. Ryan did the exact same thing later in the game where he was out of the pocket and threw it away where it landed several yards short of the LOS.</P>

Supposedly, it has to be thrown "near" the LOS.</P>

Another botched call by one of the worst refereed games I have every seen in 45 years as a Giants fan.</P>

hadenough
01-09-2012, 08:36 AM
He was outside the tackle box, but the ball has to reach the line of scrimmage or be thrown near an eligible receiver.* It didn't do either so it was a safety.
</P>

The ball doesn't have to reach the line of scrimmage on the fly.* Ryan did the exact same thing later in the game where he was out of the pocket and threw it away where it landed several yards short of the LOS.</P>

Another botched call by one of the worst refereed games I have every seen in 45 years as a Giants fan.</P>

The refs did stink but they got that one right. That ball didn't reach the line of scrimmage and there were no players within the area. The actual call they made was there was no receiver within the area. That was a safety. So basically, because there was no receiver within the area...it needed to reach the line of scrimmage and it didn't

ebick
01-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Intentional Grounding,.....it's Eli's new Delay Of Game.</P>

</P>

GameTime
01-09-2012, 08:41 AM
dont know some of you guys were looking at.</P>

He was NOT out of the tackle box. Within the hash marks for sure and he didnt reach the LOS and there was no receiver in the area. If he didnt do that he would have been tackled anyway...</P>

</P>

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-falcons/2012/1/8/2691840/video-eli-manning-safety-gives-falcons-lead-over-giants</P>

NYGJayPro81
01-09-2012, 08:41 AM
He was outside the tackle box, but the ball has to reach the line of scrimmage or be thrown near an eligible receiver.* It didn't do either so it was a safety.
</P>

The ball doesn't have to reach the line of scrimmage on the fly.* Ryan did the exact same thing later in the game where he was out of the pocket and threw it away where it landed several yards short of the LOS.</P>

What are you talking about?? The ball has to at least reach the line of scrimmage for it not to be intentional grounding...not just be near it

buddy33
01-09-2012, 08:43 AM
It was a Safety. The refs where bad but they did get that call right.

nygsb42champs
01-09-2012, 08:45 AM
The pass has to make it back to the line of scrimmage. Eli's pass was at least 4 yards short of it.

Morehead State
01-09-2012, 08:58 AM
The pass has to make it back to the line of scrimmage. Eli's pass was at least 4 yards short of it.</P>

Ryan did the same thing later in the game. That ball didn't reach the LOS and nothing was called. And no one thought twice about it.</P>

buddy33
01-09-2012, 09:02 AM
The pass has to make it back to the line of scrimmage. Eli's pass was at least 4 yards short of it.</P>

Ryan did the same thing later in the game.* That ball didn't reach the LOS and nothing was called.* And no one thought twice about it.</P>

I don't recall the play you are talking about but I'll take your word for it. Anyway, that doesn't mean Safety call was wrong. It would just mean they missed another call if it happened like you said.

Morehead State
01-09-2012, 09:05 AM

Ryan did the same thing later in the game. That ball didn't reach the LOS and nothing was called. And no one thought twice about it.</P>

I don't recall the play you are talking about but I'll take your word for it. Anyway, that doesn't mean Safety call was wrong. It would just mean they missed another call if it happened like you said.</P>

OK. I consulted the rules and you are right. The ball has to reach the LOS on the fly. </P>

Having said that, its rarely called. As long as he throws it somewhere near the LOS and he's out of the pocket, they don't call it.</P>

But I admit that my rule interpretation was wrong.</P>

Giants Of New Jersey
01-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Ryan did the same thing later in the game.* That ball didn't reach the LOS and nothing was called.* And no one thought twice about it.</P>

yes ryan did reach the LOS..go watch it again...maybe he didnt reach the stick where the drive originally started from but he did reach the LOS from where that specific play started..

buddy33
01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
The refs where just horrible and so inconsistent its hard to know what the rules are. I mean the PF they called on Williams was ridiculous. I saw the same thing happen the night before and there was no flag.

Redeyejedi
01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
</P>

Another botched call by one of the worst refereed games I have every seen in 45 years as a Giants fan.</P>What about the Jet game or the Packer game.When the guy that runs the Igglesnest thinks the Giants are getting screwed there getting screwed

ebick
01-09-2012, 09:41 AM
</P>

The ball doesn't have to reach the line of scrimmage on the fly. Ryan did the exact same thing later in the game where he was out of the pocket and threw it away where it landed several yards short of the LOS.</P>

What about the Jet game or the Packer game.When the guy that runs the Igglesnest thinks the Giants are getting screwed there getting screwed</P>

The Jets game was definately a screw job. One of the criteria is that the QB must be throwing the ball away under pressure. Eli was not under pressure in that situation.</P>

Itlan
01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Judgment calls are what allows the NFL to fix games.

However, that was definitely a safety lol. That ball was a good 6-7 yards short and had to skip twice to get back to LOS. Eli also was definitely NOT outside the tackle box. It was a safety, and its really on Kmac for barely even getting a hand on a blitzing free safety.

G-Man67
01-09-2012, 09:53 AM

yeah that is what got us ... i do wonder though if the ball was still in the field of play when he released it, but oh well .... kinda funny that all they got were those 2 and now they can be part of an embarassing trivia question

burier
01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
</P>

What are you talking about?? The ball has to at least reach the line of scrimmage for it not to be intentional grounding...not just be near it

actually the rule is worded to suggest the ball only needs to be near the line not reach it.

lttaylor56
01-09-2012, 10:16 AM
</P>

Another botched call by one of the worst refereed games I have every seen in 45 years as a Giants fan.</P>That being said and I agree. The score should of been 24-0. WOW! I remember an NFC championship game against the vikes that was a shut out.

I didnt like the way that SB turned out. Hopefully having the 2 pts on the board will have a different effec