PDA

View Full Version : Nicks catch, what appeared to be a first down before the half !!

sheepdip
01-09-2012, 11:16 AM
This puzzled me and was a huge play in the game. He caught the ball which with forward progress looked to be a yard or more past the sticks. Now I know it was under 2 mins and the challenges are from the booth only. My question is couldn't TC call for measurement? This would obviously see if 1st down was made which judging by the bad spot but the linesmen who I mentioned in another post looked like it was short. At least calling for measurement gives us a chance to think of the next play and serve as kind of a timeout. To me judging by the very next play Eli came back and threw the ball as if he thought we had the 1st down. I would be very surprised that 3rd and inches we would have called that play ?? any thoughts.

To me it looked like a game management mistake on that play. Very confusing.

FLNYGFAN
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Surprised that the replay booth didn't stop play to look at that.

TuckYou
01-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Surprised that the replay booth didn't stop play to look at that. Im not. Im really not. We have been playing against the refs the past 3 weeks now.

JimC
01-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Eli said that he got fooled on that play. He thought it was a first down. I believe it's Eli's call to call for a measurement.

poppa smurph
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
That one's on the refs.</P>

With the clock rollin, there's nothing TC can do, unless he's got a time-out left ( I can't recall if we had any or not ).</P>

If that play goes to the sidelines and out of bounds to stop the clock, we probably get a measurement there.</P>

Seemed as though the refs were rushing that one. Guess they wanted to get intohalf-time asap.</P>

bELIeve_in_Giants
01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Eli was in hurry up mode and thought it was a first down and never noticed it was called 3rd down. He said this in his presser. Apparently Gilbride didn't notice either because the play he sent in was for 1st and 10 and not 3rd and 1.

sheepdip
01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I think TC could have asked for it ??

First off it should have been first down by far even Flacons fans would admit that.
secondly because the refs screwed us with spot it was still 3rd and short only and a make able first down.
We rushed or mis understood and tried throwing a low percentage pass that looked rushed and unorganized.

A simple call for measurement could have really helped us out especially in a close game at the time and near fg range.

G-Man67
01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Eli said that he got fooled on that play.* He thought it was a first down.* I believe it's Eli's call to call for a measurement.

ok, that's exactly how he acted, like he thought it was a 1st, which it was and that makes sense

if it's ruled just short there is always a measurement ... unless the set of downs started right at the 20 on a touchback ... now coulda Tom or KG gotten in his headset and told him to ask for measurement ... probably, but just an all round confusing play that the refs got all wrong, IMO, esp. b/c it was under 2 minutes

FIFTY6G-MAN
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM

With the clock rollin, there's nothing TC can do, unless he's got a time-out left ( I can't recall if we had any or not ).</P>

If that play goes to the sidelines and out of bounds to stop the clock, we probably get a measurement there.</P>

Seemed as though the refs were rushing that one. Guess they wanted to get intohalf-time asap.</P>Yes, we had 2 timeouts remaing during that debacle. The refs looked like the 3 stooges on that, and appeared to be hurrying the next play. I was going bonkers screaming at 1. How did they just spot it over a yard short and 2. How the hell did TC not use a timeout at a crucial time with halftime looming.

Providence
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Here are the mistakes in order on that play:

-The Ref: gives a terrible spot

-The Booth: didn't review the terrible spot

-Coughlin: Didn't demand a measurement/call time out to interupt Eli's no huddle so that he could demand a measurement.

-Eli: Thought it was a 1st down and played it accordingly. Obviously it should have been a first down, but he's got to know what down it is regardless of what "should have happened."

With Coughlin and Eli's misteps Big Blue deserves some of the blame. However it should have NEVER gotten to that point. The ref gave a terrible spot and the booth didn't challenege it. Both occurences are totally unacceptable.

poppa smurph
01-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Seemed as though the refs were rushing that one. Guess they wanted to get intohalf-time asap.</P>

Yes, we had 2 timeouts remaing during that debacle. The refs looked like the 3 stooges on that, and appeared to be hurrying the next play. I was going bonkers screaming at 1. How did they just spot it over a yard short and 2. How the hell did TC not use a timeout at a crucial time with halftime looming.After reading the posts here it seems as though the refs fooled us on that one.</P>

No harm no foul, and I'd be willing to bet that TC and Eli will be better prepared if it should happen again.</P>

burier
01-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Eli said that he got fooled on that play.* He thought it was a first down.* I believe it's Eli's call to call for a measurement.

But the ball was spotted incorrectly. Sure if there was a measurement we could have run a short yardage play but the whats appauling is the line to game was reached by a mile.

NYGFaninILL
01-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Mike P on Fox said because it was under 2 minutes, coughlin could have done NOTHING. EVERYTHING has to come from the booth then.

mfraykor
01-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Surprised that the replay booth didn't stop play to look at that. Im not. Im really not. We have been playing against the refs the past 3 weeks now.

Exactly... the was no reason in HELL why the refs didn't call for a measurment... PLAYOFF GAME... that close... should have been a no brainer... but again, this year the officials have sucked bad. On top of that.. 2min with 2 timeouts, I think TC should have used one there to give more time...IMO

BlueJayC
01-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Mike P on Fox said because it was under 2 minutes, coughlin could have done NOTHING. EVERYTHING has to come from the booth then.</P>

True he couldn't challenge but you can request a measurement which stops the clock.....and/or call a TO to give the booth more time to look at it.</P>

YATittle1962
01-09-2012, 12:06 PM
appeared to be?

maybe thats because it was by about a yard and a half

Roosevelt
01-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Those refs were absolute garbage. Bottom of the barrel.

Shame on the NFL.

YATittle1962
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Those refs were absolute garbage.* Bottom of the barrel.

Shame on the NFL.

agreed

how about Nicks getting mugged in the endzone

and Williams getting flagged for a tackle

heads should roll

BlueSanta
01-09-2012, 12:14 PM
The measurement isnt the problem, the spot is.

Where the ball was spotted was more than a yard behind where the catch actually occured.

BlueSanta
01-09-2012, 12:15 PM

Shame on the NFL.

agreed

heads should roll

how about Roddy White throwing a punch at Corey Webster directly in front of the ref with no flag, let alone an ejection.

YATittle1962
01-09-2012, 12:15 PM

Shame on the NFL.

agreed

heads should roll

how about Roddy White throwing a punch at Corey Webster directly in front of the ref with no flag, let alone an ejection.

horrible

Gianthunter
01-09-2012, 12:19 PM

Shame on the NFL.
agreed how about Nicks getting mugged in the endzone and Williams getting flagged for a tackle heads should roll

horribleI was banished to the backporch for a time-out on that one.[:@]

stormblue
01-09-2012, 12:34 PM
the refs mis-spotting of the ball
....terrible.

the replay booth not reviewing a potential 1st down or not with less than 2 minutes to play
....inexcusable

TC and the rest of the entire coaching staff not knowing it was 3rd down , when they all stand within a few feet of the down marker sign ...
...priceless !!

Roosevelt
01-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Shame on the NFL.

agreed

heads should roll

No doubt.

I don't ever recall seeing an UR call on a tackle like that. That was just bizarre. I have no idea what that official saw or was thinking.

Husky
01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
The official, HL 110 was the worst culprit. He blew that spot, the non PI call in the end zone and another play.

jgrangers11
01-09-2012, 02:30 PM
There were at least 2 or 3 other really bad spots too where the Falcons were basically handed an extra yard. Between the missed pass interference in the endzone, Rolle getting tackled (right in front of two officials) on a punt block and the bad spots, theofficials werejust horrible.

YATittle1962
01-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Shame on the NFL.
agreed how about Nicks getting mugged in the endzone and Williams getting flagged for a tackle heads should roll

horribleI was banished to the backporch for a time-out on that one.[:@]

this made me lose it ....still laughing

YATittle1962
01-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Shame on the NFL.

agreed

heads should roll

No doubt.

I don't ever recall seeing an UR call on a tackle like that.* That was just bizarre.* I have no idea what that official saw or was thinking.*

a tackle......a friggin tackle......im speechless

lawl
01-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Shame on the NFL.

agreed

heads should roll

No doubt.

I don't ever recall seeing an UR call on a tackle like that.* That was just bizarre.* I have no idea what that official saw or was thinking.*

The whistle was blown before jwill finished the tackle. It was kind of a bang bang thing, shouldn't have been flagged at all, but he was flagged because it was after the whistle not because of the tackle itself.

bELIeve_in_Giants
01-09-2012, 03:05 PM
According to MG, the yard marker guys on the Giants sideline thought it was a first down too. They moved after the play as if it was a 1st and 10. That's probably what Eli saw, though the other sideline was the official marker.

YATittle1962
01-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Shame on the NFL.

agreed

heads should roll

No doubt.

The whistle was blown before jwill finished the tackle. It was kind of a bang bang thing, shouldn't have been flagged at all, but he was flagged because it was after the whistle not because of the tackle itself.

yeah cus its so easy to stop in the middle of a full blown tackle

my bad I forgot

Michael Strahan @michaelstrahan 22h Reply Retweet Favorite Open
How do u stop midway thru a tackle! Ridiculous call ref!!

lawl
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Shame on the NFL.

agreed

heads should roll

No doubt.

yeah cus its so easy to stop in the middle of a full blown tackle

my bad I forgot

Michael Strahan @michaelstrahan 22h Reply Retweet Favorite Open
How do u stop midway thru a tackle! Ridiculous call ref!!

Yea it was definitely a dumb flag.

Like tuckyou said in another thread, it's plays like this that make the kiwi Vince young play possible

sc_markt
01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Surprised that the replay booth didn't stop play to look at that.

Not me. Why? Because it was the New York Giants playing. We seem to have more, if not the most bad calls from refs against us.

nygsb42champs
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
You are not the only one confused. The replay booth made a mistake and not buzzing down to replay it. Eli thought it was a first down and that is why he threw deep.It was a very puzzling sequence.

nygsb42champs
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
You are not the only one confused. The replay booth made a mistake and not buzzing down to replay it. Eli thought it was a first down and that is why he threw deep.It was a very puzzling sequence.