PDA

View Full Version : How much is O$I worth?

NYSPORTS
01-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Not to put the cart before the horse, but what if the Giants win in Green Bay too.

How many dollars is O$i worth? My gosh, what to do? He wants a fortune and obvoiusly his presence has made a difference.

I'm guessing, if the Giants were forced to trade him b/c of JPP, Cruz and future Nicks money, he's increased his trade value.

How many $$ is he worth and what type of trade value, pick wise, is he worth?

JJC7301
01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Not to put the cart before the horse, but what if the Giants win in Green Bay too. How many dollars is O$i worth? My gosh, what to do? He wants a fortune and obvoiusly his presence has made a difference. I'm guessing, if the Giants were forced to trade him b/c of JPP, Cruz and future Nicks money, he's increased his trade value. How many $$ is he worth and what type of trade value, pick wise, is he worth?</P>

Well, I think he's making $3.5 million this year. I originally wanted him traded next year because I didn't want an unhappy player on the team, but not I try to keep him but not at a increased salary. I'm not paying an increase to someone who gets as injured as he does -- not with JPP andCruz havingbig paydays coming their way. Tuck and Kiwi are always injured as well.</P>

If the best player available in the 1st round is a DE, then draft himas Osi's replacment. I don't want Osi gone, I've always liked him, but if this finalyear of his contract ($$) is going to botherhim that much, then it's time to cut the cord and get what we can for him. I wouldn't mind trying to package him with a high pick to get Jared Allen. I have no idea if the Vikes would trade Allen, but I'm just wondering since they may have some rebuilding to do.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
01-09-2012, 10:48 AM
To me, given how important money is to him, i really don't want his headache at any price.</P>

He has every right to fight for contracts he thinks are fair, and no matter who his employer is, he's corrent in his assumption that they won't take care of him if it runs against the business needs of a team.</P>

but he's older, somewhat one dimensional, often injured, and playing a position where we have some options.</P>

give our assumed cap situation, we have to make choices, and he's at the bottom of my list.</P>

lesson learned from the last 3 or 4 years, thank you.</P>

MikeSherrard
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I hope he keeps playing like this and we can get a first round pick for him! I think teams were hesitant because he was injured last off season.

IMO....he's worth a 1st rounder for sure! hes an elite pass rusher.

burier
01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Not to put the cart before the horse, but what if the Giants win in Green Bay too.

How many dollars is O$i worth? My gosh, what to do? He wants a fortune and obvoiusly his presence has made a difference.

I'm guessing, if the Giants were forced to trade him b/c of JPP, Cruz and future Nicks money, he's increased his trade value.

I think at this point we're talking 4th rounder at best regardless of what he does in these playoffs.

1) He's no spring chicken
2) Guaranteed to miss at 4 least games per season until he retires.
3) Has mentioned retirement
4) Most teams don't feel they're just a simple pass rusher away from a SB
5) Most teams believe that you build a team through the draft. We've seen failed attempts by Washington, Dallas and Philly to buy the SB through free agency. Meaning even mid level picks are at a premium.

At this point the best thing to do is sit in a room with him and throw some makeup on the last year of his contract. Let him play it out and retire a Giant.

hadenough
01-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Someone will pay him...hopefully it's not the Giants. We could use the money for more pressing needs.

I don't think he would be worth a ton in a trade. Whoever trades for him will have to pay him big bucks plus get rid of a draft pick. I'd think they would be lucky to get a 3rd for him.

CDN_G-FAN
01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Not to put the cart before the horse, but what if the Giants win in Green Bay too. How many dollars is O$i worth? My gosh, what to do? He wants a fortune and obvoiusly his presence has made a difference. I'm guessing, if the Giants were forced to trade him b/c of JPP, Cruz and future Nicks money, he's increased his trade value. How many $$ is he worth and what type of trade value, pick wise, is he worth? Someone will pay him...hopefully it's not the Giants. We could use the money for more pressing needs. I don't think he would be worth a ton in a trade. Whoever trades for him will have to pay him big bucks plus get rid of a draft pick. I'd think they would be lucky to get a 3rd for him.</P>

+1</P>

i'd take a 3rd for him in a heartbeat, but no GM worth their position will pay that for a guy like Osi with one year left on his deal.</P>

NYSPORTS
01-09-2012, 11:05 AM

I think at this point we're talking 4th rounder at best regardless of what he does in these playoffs.

1) He's no spring chicken
2) Guaranteed to miss at 4 least games per season until he retires.
3) Has mentioned retirement
4) Most teams don't feel they're just a simple pass rusher away from a SB
5) Most teams believe that you build a team through the draft. We've seen failed attempts by Washington, Dallas and Philly to buy the SB through free agency. Meaning even mid level picks are at a premium.

At this point the best thing to do is sit in a room with him and throw some makeup on the last year of his contract. Let him play it out and retire a Giant.

Kinda sounds like Strahan who retired at 37. Osi still is only 30/31. Would a team offer a ton for 3-4 years of an elite pass rusher? Would the Giants pay for it or let me go.

Decisions - Decisions

GiantPride27
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
i would love a 2nd and a 3/4th

Coach Carter
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Yeah, that Shockey trade brought in a heap of talent.

GiantPride27
01-09-2012, 12:30 PM

talent the get from the picks is on GM.
getting 2 extra picks in the first 4 rounds for a 30+ year old who wants out and has more than once caused problems for the lockerroom and organization is a good deal.

i am a fan of osi on the field but we have 2 other DEs who are better than osi has ever been

we have alot of wholes and little money - osi wants top 10 money but he is older, injury prone, and only a pass rusher (an elite pass rusher) but unfortunatly Top 10 DEs have to be able to stop the run too.

trading him for a few upper round picks would free up much needed cap room

radar-ray
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Yeah, that Shockey trade brought in a heap of talent.This! Good thing these "GM want to be" posters are not running the team. Hey, enjoy the playoff's.

lavar2
01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
To be fair, with that Shockey 2nd round pick we could have taken Rey Maluaga (who I wanted) or James Laurinitis instead of Sintim. So if we made one of those picks I think that trade would have worked out. Plus, think how formidable our defense would be with one of those two patrolling the field at the mike position. Too bad.

Coach Carter
01-09-2012, 02:38 PM

has more than once caused problems for the lockerroom

How do you know Osi was a problem in the locker room? Osi has only been a problem to fans who hate athletes who practice capitalism. Fans think since they make less than 100K, the athlete should be happy with his millions. The same fans who know NOTHING about economics.

shocknaweny
01-09-2012, 02:42 PM
If they could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him in the offseason I would be very happy....he is probably worth roughly double the 3.5 mil. he is making now.

Coach Carter
01-09-2012, 02:43 PM

How do you know Osi was a problem in the locker room? Osi has only been a problem to fans who hate athletes who practice capitalism. Fans think since they make less than 100K, the athlete should be happy with his millions. The same fans who know NOTHING about economics.

And all of you fools who want to call Osi a one trick pony, look at John Abraham, he isn't even a full-time player anymore but he is the most important on Atlanta's defense because he can rush the passer.

Osi is the best pass rusher on the Giants. He saved Strahan's career because Strahan didn't have an end to complement him since Chad Bratzke was let go of (EA did that). Fricking Cedric Jones (the one eye waste) and Kenny Holmes were WACK.

burier
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
this thread is hilarious.

you guys are OVER valuing Osi on very high high level.

lawl
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM

And all of you fools who want to call Osi a one trick pony, look at John Abraham, he isn't even a full-time player anymore but he is the most important on Atlanta's defense because he can rush the passer.

Osi is the best pass rusher on the Giants. He saved Strahan's career because Strahan didn't have an end to complement him since Chad Bratzke was let go of (EA did that). Fricking Cedric Jones (the one eye waste) and Kenny Holmes were WACK.

The problem is. If you give a 31 yr old osi a new deal next year. How do you have enough money to give tuck a new deal? Or nicks? Cruz? Jpp?

You have to be able to know when the time is right to move on. The patriots do this all the time.

buddy33
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
If he is happy with his contract next year I hope he stays and they don't trade him. If he is going to be a distraction trade him. They need money for other players.

pezman1963
01-09-2012, 02:56 PM
give him what he wants we need him

CDN_G-FAN
01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
i would love a 2nd and a 3/4th Yeah, that Shockey trade brought in a heap of talent. has more than once caused problems for the lockerroom How do you know Osi was a problem in the locker room? Osi has only been a problem to fans who hate athletes who practice capitalism. Fans think since they make less than 100K, the athlete should be happy with his millions. The same fans who know NOTHING about economics. And all of you fools who want to call Osi a one trick pony, look at John Abraham, he isn't even a full-time player anymore but he is the most important on Atlanta's defense because he can rush the passer. Osi is the best pass rusher on the Giants. He saved Strahan's career because Strahan didn't have an end to complement him since Chad Bratzke was let go of (EA did that). Fricking Cedric Jones (the one eye waste) and Kenny Holmes were WACK.</P>

its simple math. Tuck is up in 2013, kiwi is up this year, TT is up this year, MM is up this year, kareem mackenzie is up this year, aaron ross is up this year, victor cruz should be up since he'll be playing for about $500k next year.</P>

Osi has made it clear he wants a huge raise, and most reports had use right up against the cap with an eyelash to spare.</P>

how does all that work out that we end up with starting salaries for 4 DEs on this team?</P>

GiantPride27
01-09-2012, 03:10 PM

i like osi but he is in no way the best pass rusher on the NYG. JPP is. and it takes more than pass rushing to get paid top 10 DE money

lawl
01-09-2012, 03:16 PM
i would love a 2nd and a 3/4th Yeah, that Shockey trade brought in a heap of talent. has more than once caused problems for the lockerroom How do you know Osi was a problem in the locker room? Osi has only been a problem to fans who hate athletes who practice capitalism. Fans think since they make less than 100K, the athlete should be happy with his millions. The same fans who know NOTHING about economics. And all of you fools who want to call Osi a one trick pony, look at John Abraham, he isn't even a full-time player anymore but he is the most important on Atlanta's defense because he can rush the passer. Osi is the best pass rusher on the Giants. He saved Strahan's career because Strahan didn't have an end to complement him since Chad Bratzke was let go of (EA did that). Fricking Cedric Jones (the one eye waste) and Kenny Holmes were WACK.</P>

its simple math.* Tuck is up in 2013, kiwi is up this year, TT is up this year, MM is up this year, kareem mackenzie is up this year, aaron ross is up this year, victor cruz should be up since he'll be playing for about $500k next year.</P>

Osi has made it clear he wants a huge raise, and most reports had use right up against the cap with an eyelash to spare.</P>

how does all that work out that we end up with starting salaries for 4 DEs on this team?</P> kiwi is next year

CDN_G-FAN
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM

its simple math. Tuck is up in 2013, kiwi is up this year, TT is up this year, MM is up this year, kareem mackenzie is up this year, aaron ross is up this year, victor cruz should be up since he'll be playing for about $500k next year.</P>

how does all that work out that we end up with starting salaries for 4 DEs on this team?</P>

kiwi is next year</P>

doesn't really matter.</P>

NCGiant23
01-09-2012, 03:37 PM
give him what he wants we need him
No we don't actually. Holy mother of God there's an insane amount of fail in this thread. Listen, Osi used to be an elite player. He hasn't been in the elite category for years now. The unfortunate reality is that you don't pay good players elite salaries. That's how a team gets into cap hell. Some of you people really need to take a step back and think of the business decision that needs to be made. Unfortunately Osi is only a good player at this point in his career.

We have holes on our roster other than DE that absolutely NEED to be upgraded. If we could get a 3rd rd pick for him you trade him. You can't get emotional about what is best for the team. Tuck and JPP are currently better than Osi. We can get by better without him if we use the draft properly and make strategic FA signings.

Kysersoze
01-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I like Osi a whole lot but we have to think about the future. Os is going to be a detriment if he doesn't get his money. He is also injured a lot and if I have to decide on paying him or Cruz, Nicks and JPP then he has to go.

The only thing that worries me is if he were to decide to go to an NFC East team to F us.

giantcarll
01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Trade him to the Jets.They need a pass rusher.

OX1
01-09-2012, 07:18 PM
this thread is hilarious.

you guys are OVER valuing Osi on very high high level.

No question he is at least partly a product of his environment. Love his play and would offer him whatever we can if there is any extra after we take care of our needs.

hungrrrry
01-09-2012, 08:04 PM
To me, given how important money is to him, i really don't want his headache at any price.</P>

He has every right to fight for contracts he thinks are fair, and no matter who his employer is, he's corrent in his assumption that they won't take care of him if it runs against the business needs of a team.</P>

but he's older, somewhat one dimensional, often injured, and playing a position where we have some options.</P>

give our assumed cap situation, we have to make choices, and he's at the bottom of my list.</P>

lesson learned from the last 3 or 4 years, thank you.</P>I agree...I kinda felt he dogged the last few games and then decided to play against Dallas...He is a great player but has been a headcase the last couple years. I would allow him to seek a trade in the AFC where we won't see him much. Not sure what his real value is, but I would love to get a 2nd rounder. but if only a third is offered and maybe a later round pick then I say we probably have to go that route.
He isn't as big of a distraction as a T.O. or Tiki and I would hate to see his talent go but I am not sure things will get better here with him. His newer contract could cause us cap issues that this team doesn't need. Cruz will requre a nice contract, Kiwi and then Nicks' contract will be up down the road so we have to look at it from that perspective also...basicly we have to look at it as "who do we want?", "who deserves it?" AND who has earned it?"
Not sure Osi is an answer for those questions but he certainly is one of the better pass-rushers...but ordinary against the run

pino
01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Depends on what the top 5 DE's are paid this off season. He's definitely top 10. I'd probably place him about #6, but that's just me.

Coach Carter
01-09-2012, 08:11 PM

The problem is. If you give a 31 yr old osi a new deal next year. How do you have enough money to give tuck a new deal? Or nicks? Cruz? Jpp?

You have to be able to know when the time is right to move on. The patriots do this all the time.

Oh please, the Pats cheated their way to three championships, ever since spygate they haven't won crap. Look at the Pats defense these days, they don't miss Richard Seymour. And those extra draft picks have really worked out.

Gimaniac
01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Osi is not worth reworking a deal. He is under contract and plays half the time. Why break the bank for a part time passing down specialist ?

Who cares if he's a whiney bia, he was a whiney bia this year and he still helped the team, when available

giantjordie
01-09-2012, 11:13 PM

HERE HERE!

Well said sir, money is all relative...

finally someone with some sense.