PDA

View Full Version : NFL - Billion dollar league with Nickle & Dime refs

TroyArcher
01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
It is amazaing with the amount of zebras on the field and a few more in the replay booth that they still have such an impact on so many games. It is really highlighted in the playoffs but goes on all year. Most are old out of shape and obviuosly with poor eyesight. It is really a shame that the NFL can not upgade the refs.

ryan12
01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
agreed they have always been pretty terrible but the past like 4 years have been out of control

burier
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
agreed. NFL refs are total joke.

I never understood why the refs are middle aged anyway.

It just seems like common sense to get 25 year old football feinds who can get their asses out of the way and can actually SEE to ref these games/

TuckYou
01-09-2012, 02:07 PM
agreed. NFL refs are total joke. I never understood why the refs are middle aged anyway. It just seems like common sense to get 25 year old football feinds who can get their asses out of the way and can actually SEE to ref these games/</P>

Its called expirience. Most of these guys have 20+ years in the league. </P>

But I agree. </P>

Im waiting for Apple to come out with the IRef. </P>

ryan12
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
agreed. NFL refs are total joke. I never understood why the refs are middle aged anyway. It just seems like common sense to get 25 year old football feinds who can get their asses out of the way and can actually SEE to ref these games/</P>

But I agree. </P>

IREF= priceless...................... lmfao

TrueBlue07
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
the way they handle challenges is atrocious. Especially now that we review every scoring play.

There should be 1 ref in the booth upstairs, a play is challenged, the ref in the booth reviews the play instantly, the call is made. It should take under 1 minute to throw the flag &amp; have the play reviewed.

ShakeNBake
01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I understand they want refs with experience but it would be nice to have some officials who aren't members of AARP.

stormblue
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM

But I agree. </P>

huge big ups ...freakin' awesome !!

burier
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM

But I agree. </P>

Yeah I get the whole experience thing but the experience doesn't seem to be much of benefit at this point as missed calls happen frequently.

The NFL knows this which is why all scoring plays are reviewed. They know the ref will F it up. Plus a quarter of the time they review a play they get it wrong anyway.

And then you've got the phantom holding, phantom illegal contact, phantom PI

And then when those things actually happen they leave the flag in their pocket. They're infuriating.

Roosevelt
01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
the way they handle challenges is atrocious. Especially now that we review every scoring play.

There should be 1 ref in the booth upstairs, a play is challenged, the ref in the booth reviews the play instantly, the call is made. It should take under 1 minute to throw the flag &amp; have the play reviewed.

Hey TB07, check your inbox.

CDN_G-FAN
01-09-2012, 02:28 PM
i have some simpathy for refs.</P>

the game is so incredibly fast i'm amazed they get as many calls right as they already do.</P>

i don't think there's some untapped resource of awesome refs that the NFL isn't using, i just think as the size of players and the speed of the game has increased exponentially, officiating has gotten alot harder.</P>

all of us fat guys have the benefit of a bird's eye view and endless discussion after there's been 6 more plays run.</P>

the fact that there's no fanbase in the NFL that doesn't gripe about the refs is a sign that its actually working well.</P>

when Pats fans spend 8 months talking about how they got screwed by the refs in our SB win, and they seem like the universally call friendliest team in the NFL, things are not so bad.</P>

lawl
01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
the way they handle challenges is atrocious.* Especially now that we review every scoring play.

There should be 1 ref in the booth upstairs, a play is challenged, the ref in the booth reviews the play instantly, the call is made. It should take under 1 minute to throw the flag & have the play reviewed.

It takes time for the production crew to get the best shots of the replay into the refs feed. The NBCee it stuff for example.

DragonSoul
01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Simple.

To many rules with exceptions and subjective views.

First simplify and then stop applying rules on top of other rules.

egyptian420
01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
i have some simpathy for refs.</p>

the game is so incredibly fast i'm amazed they get as many calls right as they already do.</p>

i don't think there's some untapped resource of awesome refs that the NFL isn't using, i just think as the size of players and the speed of the game has increased exponentially, officiating has gotten alot harder.</p>

all of us fat guys have the benefit of a bird's eye view and endless discussion after there's been 6 more plays run.</p>

the fact that there's no fanbase in the NFL that doesn't gripe about the refs is a sign that its actually working well.</p>

when Pats fans spend 8 months talking about how they got screwed by the refs in our SB win, and they seem like the universally call friendliest team in the NFL, things are not so bad.</p>
this pretty much sums it up

threenout
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
in no other sport do the refs have some much, if not total control, of the out come of the games.

with the addition of new rules totally favoring the offense the situation has just gotten worse. It's a
travesty to have games decided by these calls but it's more of a travesty how the game has changed to
were it's almost impossible to defend a pass or touch a QB without drawing a flag

GOBIGBLUE52
01-09-2012, 03:00 PM
I think the refs are getting an unfair shake here.

First off, they are human like us. They're watching a very fast paced game. Missed calls will happen. They happened in the 1940s. They have to make an instant call with their eyes, while we get 100 different HD angles on TV that we can pause and rewind as many times as we want. Which makes blown calls more obvious.

Second, the ridiculous rules that Roger Goodell has instituted in the past few years that basically take the physicality out of the game do not help. What's a flag and what's not anymore, nobody even knows. I understand wanting to keep players safe. Watching Gene Hickerson get wheeled up on stage into the HOF with Alzheimer's, not having any idea of what was going on because he had so many injuries possibly caused by his career, was sad. But things are getting a little overboard, as shown by that ridiculous unnecessary roughness call on Williams.

With that said, things like the Nicks catch inside the 2 minute warning yesterday was absolutely inexcusable. A missed facemask by the center or something like that, isn't as big of a deal, because that happens all the time and I don't ever expect every single one to be caught.

burier
01-09-2012, 03:05 PM
i have some simpathy for refs.</P>

the game is so incredibly fast i'm amazed they get as many calls right as they already do.</P>

i don't think there's some untapped resource of awesome refs that the NFL isn't using, i just think as the size of players and the speed of the game has increased exponentially, officiating has gotten alot harder.</P>

all of us fat guys have the benefit of a bird's eye view and endless discussion after there's been 6 more plays run.</P>

the fact that there's no fanbase in the NFL that doesn't gripe about the refs is a sign that its actually working well.</P>

when Pats fans spend 8 months talking about how they got screwed by the refs in our SB win, and they seem like the universally call friendliest team in the NFL, things are not so bad.</P>

I have sympathy for them too. Its not their fault they're blind.

As far as Pats fans go...they just can't take an L so they make excuses. I think its the water up here. They complained about the Lakers beating the Celtics in the Finals a couple years ago as well. They simply refuse to take an L

Morehead State
01-09-2012, 03:08 PM

But I agree. </P>

IREF= priceless...................... lmfao</P>

I laughed too!!</P>