PDA

View Full Version : Why do people keep saying we are losing Osi?

VBGiantsFan
01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
There was an article in ESPN about this possibly being his last year. I've seen it on the boards here as well.

Isn't he still under contract?

Why are we "losing" him next year if he is signed for another year making ~$4 million?

Morehead State
01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
There was an article in ESPN about this possibly being his last year. I've seen it on the boards here as well. Isn't he still under contract? Why are we "losing" him next year if he is signed for another year making ~$4 million?</P>

He will be on his last year of a front loaded contract. I think he's making something like $3.5MM next year which is a far cry from the $8 to 10MM he was making a few years ago.</P>

Point is that he will whine, cry and very likely hold out until he gets a new contract or gets dealt. Chances are he will be dealt because we don't need that crap.</P>

VBGiantsFan
01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
There was an article in ESPN about this possibly being his last year. I've seen it on the boards here as well. Isn't he still under contract? Why are we "losing" him next year if he is signed for another year making ~$4 million?</P>

He will be on his last year of a front loaded contract.* I think he's making something like $3.5MM next year which is a far cry from the $8 to 10MM he was making a few years ago.</P>

Point is that he will whine, cry and very likely hold out until he gets a new contract or gets dealt.* Chances are he will be dealt because we don't need that crap.</P>

I think giving him to the Texans for Mario Williams would be a great idea. Both want a new contract and Osi built better for the Texan's scheme, and Mario Williams is built better for ours.

As long as we can afford it...

Joe Morrison
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Giants and Osi don't have any bargaining power to pull off any kind of deal, as good as he is he has only been on the field for 50% of the games this year.</P>

He will be back, no happy, but he will be back.</P>

GMENAGAIN
01-09-2012, 02:14 PM

He will be on his last year of a front loaded contract. I think he's making something like $3.5MM next year which is a far cry from the $8 to 10MM he was making a few years ago.</P>

Point is that he will whine, cry and very likely hold out until he gets a new contract or gets dealt. Chances are he will be dealt because we don't need that crap.</P>

I think giving him to the Texans for Mario Williams would be a great idea. Both want a new contract and Osi built better for the Texan's scheme, and Mario Williams is built better for ours. As long as we can afford it...</P>

It would be a great idea for us . . . not so great for the texans . . . . </P>

shocknaweny
01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
He is under contract for one more season but the organization should trade him or just release him to do whats right for Umenyiora ...

burier
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM

He will be on his last year of a front loaded contract.* I think he's making something like $3.5MM next year which is a far cry from the $8 to 10MM he was making a few years ago.</P>

Point is that he will whine, cry and very likely hold out until he gets a new contract or gets dealt.* Chances are he will be dealt because we don't need that crap.</P>

I think giving him to the Texans for Mario Williams would be a great idea. Both want a new contract and Osi built better for the Texan's scheme, and Mario Williams is built better for ours. As long as we can afford it...</P>

meaning it aint happening

its funny how so many people think teams are gonna line up to get traderaped by us

Ruttiger711
01-09-2012, 02:40 PM
He is under contract for one more season but the organization should trade him or just release him <FONT color=#0000ff size=5>to do whats right for Umenyiora</FONT> ...</P>

Osi signed this contract of his own free will no?</P>

CDN_G-FAN
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM

meaning it aint happening its funny how so many people think teams are gonna line up to get traderaped by us</P>

+1</P>

i don't get it either.</P>

Mario Williams for Osi? On what planet?</P>

</P>

G-Man67
01-09-2012, 02:45 PM
He is under contract for one more season but the organization should trade him or just release him to do whats right for Umenyiora ...

why?, he is in his contract year, he will play his butt off to make as much money as possible next year ... no way should we get rid of him ... we are in the drivers seat

we had the same debates in the summer ... everyone either wanted him gone or even those that didn't want him gone, were like, he's gone ... i was like, he ain't going anywhere b/c his agent will never find a team willing to part with a #1 pick and he can't hold out all season b/c his value would diminish greatly

now he is making big plays for us, so we won the game of chicken

i wouldn't have a problem if we maybe bumped him to $4MM and gave him some incentives to earn more, but the only catch is that then you set a predecent for any player that outplays his contract

and it works both ways, while Canty has started to earn his money as of late ... he certainly didn't last season and it's not like he wrote us a rebate check for under-performing

having Osi in a contract year is a great thing for us

finally i don't hold it against Osi for wanting more money, it's a brutal game and he has gotten banged up and is over 30 and while he is one of the best outside pass rushers in the game ... his value isn't nearly as high as you might think b/c of the age/injuries ... teams are basically looking to find the next Osi

Morehead State
01-09-2012, 02:53 PM
He is under contract for one more season but the organization should trade him or just release him to do whats right for Umenyiora ... why?, he is in his contract year, he will play his butt off to make as much money as possible next year ... no way should we get rid of him ... we are in the drivers seat

we had the same debates in the summer ... everyone either wanted him gone or even those that didn't want him gone, were like, he's gone ... i was like, he ain't going anywhere b/c his agent will never find a team willing to part with a #1 pick and he can't hold out all season b/c his value would diminish greatly

i wouldn't have a problem if we maybe bumped him to $4MM and gave him some incentives to earn more, but the only catch is that then you set a predecent for any player that outplays his contract

and it works both ways, while Canty has started to earn his money as of late ... he certainly didn't last season and it's not like he wrote us a rebate check for under-performing

finally i don't hold it against Osi for wanting more money, it's a brutal game and he has gotten banged up and is over 30 and while he is one of the best outside pass rushers in the game ... his value isn't nearly as high as you might think b/c of the age/injuries ... teams are basically looking to find the next Osi

He'll hold out or whine so much it will be a horrific distraction.

Do you honestly think Osi will simply show up and play hard?</P>

yatitle
01-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Much easier for us to let him go with only 1 year on contract. We are never going to give him a new contract based on his age and injuries. Will be traded prior to draft. A 2nd would be a god send. More likely a 3rd.

G-Man67
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM

if he was going to really hold out it would have been this year, next year he needs to be out there showing everyone how good he is to get paid ... i'd love to have him showing everyone how good he is in Blue ... the leaders on the team will keep him in line ... anything he does that is out of line, will only hurt his value in the long run

you'd love to have every player on the team happy as can be, but it is just not realistic these days ... i'm a Mets fan, but what about Jorge Posada with the Yanks ... he was miserable, but the Yanks still made the post-season and weren't really distracted

fansince69
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
</p>

Do you honestly think Osi will simply show up and play hard?</p>

if he was going to really hold out it would have been this year, next year he needs to be out there showing everyone how good he is to get paid ... i'd love to have him showing everyone how good he is in Blue ... the leaders on the team will keep him in line ... anything he does that is out of line, will only hurt his value in the long run

you'd love to have every player on the team happy as can be, but it is just not realistic these days ... i'm a Mets fan, but what about Jorge Posada with the Yanks ... he was miserable, but the Yanks still made the post-season and weren't really distracted</p>

</p>

</p>

Posada and Osi are very different situations</p>

With Osi you have a guy that is still capable of playing that feels like he deserves more money than the contract HE signed and has moped and complained to anyone that will listen including the media,,,made threats asked for trades ect..In general just been a miserable teammate</p>

</p>

In Posada's case he is a guy that is pretty much beyond his usefulness as a player (dont get me wrong he has been a great player on many good teams)He just took a while to realize what the team figured out sooner....He had ONE episode where he pouted but eventually accepted the inevitable....and played out the season and contributed where he could.........I do not feel he was a detriment to the attitude of the team the way Osi has been at times.
</p>

rcrane082985
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
He is under contract for one more season but the organization should trade him or just release him to do whats right for Umenyiora ... why?, he is in his contract year, he will play his butt off to make as much money as possible next year ... no way should we get rid of him ... we are in the drivers seat

Meh the distraction thing is kindve overblown. Id say its more of a distraction for people on these message boards than the actual players. Im pretty sure they all understand how this business works.

SweetZombieJesus
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Osi signed his front loaded contract and was happy with it, then when the leaner years came along he started crying about not being paid instead of honoring his contract (such as Tuck is doing, he's vastly underpaid).

The last straw came this offseason when Osi held out of camp and basically played every single card he had for more money or a trade, and lost all of them, pissing off Jerry Reese in the process. He is goner than gone.

If the Giants can work out a trade that can get value for him before he walks as a free agent.

The Giants are already in cap hell, Tuck is underpaid (and not complaining about it, hoping to be rewarded for his loyalty), and JPP is going to demand all kinds of money. Who are you going to pay? Osi's the oldest and most disloyal of the three, and he's also not as good an all around DE as either of the other two. Osi's a situational player -- granted a very good one.

NY_Eli
01-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Osi signed his front loaded contract and was happy with it, then when the leaner years came along he started crying about not being paid instead of honoring his contract (such as Tuck is doing, he's vastly underpaid).*

The last straw came this offseason when Osi held out of camp and basically played every single card he had for more money or a trade, and lost all of them, pissing off Jerry Reese in the process.* He is goner than gone.

If the Giants can work out a trade that can get value for him before he walks as a free agent.

The Giants are already in cap hell, Tuck is underpaid (and not complaining about it, hoping to be rewarded for his loyalty), and JPP is going to demand all kinds of money.* Who are you going to pay?* Osi's the oldest and most disloyal of the three, and he's also not as good an all around DE as either of the other two.* Osi's a situational player -- granted a very good one.

Doesn't the cap reset after this year? I think our situation now is so bad because we had to sign so many players to replace injured starters.

SweetZombieJesus
01-09-2012, 07:00 PM
meaning it aint happening

its funny how so many people think teams are gonna line up to get traderaped by us

LOL call Arizona stat