PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Focus ranks Osi 2nd in the NFL in rush attempts per sack!!

ITELLNOLIES
01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
He had nine sacks this year, a tally made more impressive considering he played in only nine games, mostly in a time-share. According to the stats of Pro Football Focus, he rushed the passer 240 times, meaning he notched a sack every 26.67 snaps. To put this in perspective, Jared Allen, Minnesotaís dominant defensive end whose 22 sacks were a half sack away from tying Michael Strahanís single-season record, recorded a sack every 25.6 snaps. Pierre-Paul, who broke out as a star with 16.5 sacks, got one once every 34.5 snaps.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2012/01/4949406/spectacular-closing-act-osi-umenyiora-charter-member-giants-pass-rush-c

radar-ray
01-09-2012, 05:39 PM
He had nine sacks this year, a tally made more impressive considering he played in only nine games, mostly in a time-share. According to the stats of Pro Football Focus, he rushed the passer 240 times, meaning he notched a sack every 26.67 snaps. To put this in perspective, Jared Allen, Minnesotaís dominant defensive end whose 22 sacks were a half sack away from tying Michael Strahanís single-season record, recorded a sack every 25.6 snaps. Pierre-Paul, who broke out as a star with 16.5 sacks, got one once every 34.5 snaps.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2012/01/4949406/spectacular-closing-act-osi-umenyiora-charter-member-giants-pass-rush-cThank you! Now can all you Osi haters, and GM's that want to trade him and his imagined distraction for a 4th pick, stfu and concentrate on the playoff instead of bs!!!

FBomb
01-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Awesome!!! His trade value continues to rise.

FBomb
01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
He had nine sacks this year, a tally made more impressive considering he played in only nine games, mostly in a time-share. According to the stats of Pro Football Focus, he rushed the passer 240 times, meaning he notched a sack every 26.67 snaps. To put this in perspective, Jared Allen, Minnesotaís dominant defensive end whose 22 sacks were a half sack away from tying Michael Strahanís single-season record, recorded a sack every 25.6 snaps. Pierre-Paul, who broke out as a star with 16.5 sacks, got one once every 34.5 snaps. http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2012/01/4949406/spectacular-closing-act-osi-umenyiora-charter-member-giants-pass-rush-cThank you! Now can all you Osi haters, and GM's that want to trade him and his imagined distraction for a 4th pick, stfu and concentrate on the playoff instead of bs!!!</P>

lol.....Osi doesn't want to be here and we need to resign some others. Osi is a great player...a diva...and done. </P>

hadenough

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2012/01/4949406/spectacular-closing-act-osi-umenyiora-charter-member-giants-pass-rush-c

He's still the 3rd best DE on the team....too big a salary for a 3rd DE

TuckYou
<FONT color=#ff0000>He sucks! Get rid of this bum! He cant stop the run! Loser! We couldnt get a 5th round pick for this idiot!</FONT>

Eli TO Shockey
01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
i hope he remains a giant. I just dont see it happening.

CDN_G-FAN
01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
<FONT color=#ff0000>He sucks! Get rid of this bum! He cant stop the run! Loser! We couldnt get a 5th round pick for this idiot!</FONT></P>

he doesn't suck but he wants $7 million a year and he's not as complete a DE as Tuck or JPP, older than both, and more injury prone to date.</P>

He's got tonnes of talent and some gas left in the tank, and he's better off on a team that doesn't know what to do with all of its cap space.</P>

burier
01-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Osi trade value isn't going anywhere unless maybe he pulls out another 6 sack performance and even then it won't do much.

His sack numbers are impressive but can't really be compared to JPP or Jared Allen as every downplayers.

Your sacks-per number should go up when you're playing primarily in obvious passing situations.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
BAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLINNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

radar-ray
01-09-2012, 05:58 PM
What Osi gets paid or what he's worth is up to management to decide in the off season, not you "arm chair gm's". Osi wants to be here, he just wants a raise. That's what business negotiations are about, and for JR and Osi to work out or not. We'll see. May be you'd like Osi to go to Dallas/Philly and have him smack the crap out of Eli next season, would that make you happy?

buddy33
01-09-2012, 06:06 PM
The Giants would not trade him to a division rival.

Where do they get the money to just pay him?

Eli TO Shockey
01-09-2012, 06:16 PM
<font color="#ff0000">He sucks! Get rid of this bum! He cant stop the run! Loser! We couldnt get a 5th round pick for this idiot!</font></p>

he doesn't suck but he wants $7 million a year and he's not as complete a DE as Tuck or JPP, older than both, and more injury prone to date.</p>

He's got tonnes of talent and some gas left in the tank, and he's better off on a team that doesn't know what to do with all of its cap space.</p>

cmon CDN, you've been around long enough to know the red font! lol

ITELLNOLIES
01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Osi trade value isn't going anywhere unless maybe he pulls out another 6 sack performance and even then it won't do much.

His sack numbers are impressive but can't really be compared to JPP or Jared Allen as every downplayers.

Your sacks-per number should go up when you're playing primarily in obvious passing situations.

Umm wrong sacks per number has nothing to do with passing situations. It has to do with consistency so it really doesn't matter how many times you rush but how consistent you get a sack when you rush. For example JPP has had more times to rush the QB more this year than Osi but he didn't record a sack, it doesn't mean he's bad, is just means that Osi is more consistent and getting a sack than JPP, if JPP rushed 100 times and Osi rushed 100 times, Osi is more likely to record more sacks than JPP, that simple. it just states the fact that Osi is by far the best pass rusher on our team.

radar-ray
01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
The Giants would not trade him to a division rival.

Where do they get the money to just pay him? Wherever they trade him, if they do, I don't want DD or Kmac trying to block him when we play him. Speaking or over paid players DD, Kmac and Baas are good examples of where to get some money if JR and Osi can workout a reasonable deal. Everybody is just guessing at what the real $ amount that would make both sides happy. You don't start at the $ amount you really think you can get.

radar-ray
01-09-2012, 06:24 PM

Umm wrong sacks per number has nothing to do with passing situations. It has to do with consistency so it really doesn't matter how many times you rush but how consistent you get a sack when you rush. For example JPP has had more times to rush the QB more this year than Osi but he didn't record a sack, it doesn't mean he's bad, is just means that Osi is more consistent and getting a sack than JPP, if JPP rushed 100 times and Osi rushed 100 times, Osi is more likely to record more sacks than JPP, that simple. it just states the fact that Osi is by far the best pass rusher on our team.Tough to convince the haters on this board. Thanks again for the FACTS!

XxBigWhitxX
01-09-2012, 06:28 PM

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2012/01/4949406/spectacular-closing-act-osi-umenyiora-charter-member-giants-pass-rush-cWhat's his rank vs the run? how about as an overall DE? I rest my case.

buddy33
01-09-2012, 07:44 PM
So if there at some over paid OL's the solution would be to pay Osi more money? Lol. You just proved why they won't pay him more money. Other than having to take care of younger guys who will be on this team longer they also need to get some more help on the OL.

NY_Eli
01-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I would love for Osi to stay on this team. We have the Miami Heat of defensive linemen at the moment.

Sadly, it sounds like he won't be in blue next year.

radar-ray
01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
So if there at some over paid OL's the solution would be to pay Osi more money? Lol. You just proved why they won't pay him more money. Other than having to take care of younger guys who will be on this team longer they also need to get some more help on the OL. So you're a mind reader and can read JR and Osi's mind. Fantastic! I don't have to prove or disprove jack. You asked where to get the money and I suggested from some over paid ol, but only if JR and Osi workout a deal that works for both parties. Works for both parties, get it!

ShakeNBake
01-09-2012, 08:27 PM
What Osi gets paid or what he's worth is up to management to decide in the off season, not you "arm chair gm's". Osi wants to be here, he just wants a raise. That's what business negotiations are about, and for JR and Osi to work out or not. We'll see. May be you'd like Osi to go to Dallas/Philly and have him smack the crap out of Eli next season, would that make you happy?

Sorry buddy but this is real life, not your madden franchise with no
salary cap. If Osi was given his money which won't happen, he would be
the highest paid DE on our team. Our 3rd DE who was getting handled by
Gonzales yesterday does not deserve that kind of payday nor can we
afford to pay him. Also I'd like to add that that your suggestion to
take money from our overpaid linemen who are both aging tackles will not
work, because we are going to have to sink that money back into our Oline.

Coach Carter
01-09-2012, 08:47 PM

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2012/01/4949406/spectacular-closing-act-osi-umenyiora-charter-member-giants-pass-rush-cThank you! Now can all you Osi haters, and GM's that want to trade him and his imagined distraction for a 4th pick, stfu and concentrate on the playoff instead of bs!!!

No, trade Osi because I am an insecure male who gets mad at the athletes because they don't play for the "love of the game." So I project my insecurities upon a rare, talented athlete who does not look like me and call him greedy.

But I'll vote for people who give tax cuts to super rich.

buddy33
01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
So if there at some over paid OL's the solution would be to pay Osi more money? Lol. You just proved why they won't pay him more money. Other than having to take care of younger guys who will be on this team longer they also need to get some more help on the OL. So you're a mind reader and can read JR and Osi's mind. Fantastic! I don't have to prove or disprove jack. You asked where to get the money and I suggested from some over paid ol, but only if JR and Osi workout a deal that works for both parties. Works for both parties, get it!

I think Reese has made it clear why works for him.

There is a cap in football. They are at their limit already and have to find out a way to take of other players. If Osi is here next year it will be to finish out his contract.

buddy33
01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
So if he demands more money where will they get it from. Some of you are so easy to say just pay him but you have no idea how to do it.

Do they let go of Tuck? Lol. I don't think so.

ShakeNBake
01-09-2012, 08:58 PM

No, trade Osi because I am an insecure male who gets mad at the athletes because they don't play for the "love of the game." So I project my insecurities upon a rare, talented athlete who does not look like me and call him greedy.

But I'll vote for people who give tax cuts to super rich.

Seems like you are the only one getting angry here. Pulling the race card too, U MAD?

giantsfan420
01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
u guys are missing one of the most important aspects of this stat, his overall rush numbers are severely less than that of allens or jpps. meaning he's missed tons of time.

osi is awesome at rushing the passer. on our team tho, we have at least two de's in jpp and kiwi who could replace osi do better vs the run, at compare to osi in sacks. not mentioning tuck bc he's the opposite starting de.

i look at it this way, do i want osi on the team?heck yeah. is the luxory of having him 9 games out of the year worth paying to dollar for? no. but ill say this, if we win the bowl this year and our dline rotation is pivotal, which itd have to be if we actually win it all, the osi situation slides over to osi's favor.

during the offseason, osi playing a handful of reg. season games and then being available for the postseason run is in no way worth top de money or anywhere near it. but right after the super bowl, the thought of "how could we not pay to keep him for the next postseason run" will become a tough question to dismiss.

but in terms of this stat, i dont puch much stock in it bc again, great he gets a sack every 26 pass attempts and jpp gets one 29 or whatever the numbers were. JPP PLAYED IN LIKE 250 MORE PASS RUSH ATTEMPT SNAPS. and jpp KILLS IT vs the run as well.

jpp
tuck
then osi. thats the order of who deserves more money and to be locked up. if osi can lower his demands dramatically, and be reasonable and ask for lets say 4 mil a season, i dont think u can pass that up or at least come as close to that as possible. but i believe osi makes around the 4 mil mark anyways. osi needs to understand the situation he's in. if he wants to be a giant, he needs to reassess his demands.

if he wants to be paid like a top 10 de, then he needs to know he wont be a giant, and unfortunately that case seems more realistic from osi's actions and statements.

im just happy we have him for next week and hopefully two more wins.

shotcalla39
01-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Osi is the best at the rush and his tomahawk fumble sacks are great... But he's not great against the run... JPP is best DE on our team... And I hope we don't trade him we need him for a sb run next year

fourth&forever
01-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Umm wrong sacks per number has nothing to do with passing situations. It has to do with consistency so it really doesn't matter how many times you rush but how consistent you get a sack when you rush. For example JPP has had more times to rush the QB more this year than Osi but he didn't record a sack, it doesn't mean he's bad, is just means that Osi is more consistent and getting a sack than JPP, if JPP rushed 100 times and Osi rushed 100 times, Osi is more likely to record more sacks than JPP, that simple. it just states the fact that Osi is by far the best pass rusher on our team.
"sacks have nothing to do with passing plays" - man did I just read that?
Isn't it a tad more difficult to get a sack on a running play? lol

FBomb
01-09-2012, 09:42 PM
What Osi gets paid or what he's worth is up to management to decide in the off season, not you "arm chair gm's". Osi wants to be here, he just wants a raise. That's what business negotiations are about, and for JR and Osi to work out or not. We'll see. May be you'd like Osi to go to Dallas/Philly and have him smack the crap out of Eli next season, would that make you happy?</P>

Relax Nancy....we are giving our opinions about Osi's future with this team. I know you love him and it will break your heart, but it's still a very real probability that Osi is NOT going to be a Giant next season.</P>

Just because we don't make the decisions doesn't mean we can't speculate on what we think these decisions will be. Grow the **** up.</P>

brad
01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Osi did try to find a team that was willing to trade for him last year... that makes me believe he will want to again after this season. That being said, I think the Giants should at least try to work out a contract with him, locking him up for the remainder of his career if it can be done in a way that is cap friendly. Clearly the defense is better when he is there, but at the same time, we have seen that they already have a solid replacement for him once should he leave. It's an enviable position that many other teams can only dream of.

shotcalla39
01-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Osi did try to find a team that was willing to trade for him last year... that makes me believe he will want to again after this season. That being said, I think the Giants should at least try to work out a contract with him, locking him up for the remainder of his career if it can be done in a way that is cap friendly. Clearly the defense is better when he is there, but at the same time, we have seen that they already have a solid replacement for him once should he leave. It's an enviable position that many other teams can only dream of.

Ithink the giants should just staand pat with him and. Mot give him nothing.. we need the cap space

buddy33
01-09-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't think he is getting any more money do its a matter of him holding out. However, don't the new rules heavily penalize him for doing so?

The Giants may consider trading him just because he would most likely be gone the year after anyway. So try to get a good pick for him and let Reese find a player with the pick that will contribute and fit under the cap.

rainierjef
01-09-2012, 10:59 PM
He had nine sacks this year, a tally made more impressive considering he played in only nine games, mostly in a time-share. According to the stats of Pro Football Focus, he rushed the passer 240 times, meaning he notched a sack every 26.67 snaps. To put this in perspective, Jared Allen, Minnesotaís dominant defensive end whose 22 sacks were a half sack away from tying Michael Strahanís single-season record, recorded a sack every 25.6 snaps. Pierre-Paul, who broke out as a star with 16.5 sacks, got one once every 34.5 snaps. http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2012/01/4949406/spectacular-closing-act-osi-umenyiora-charter-member-giants-pass-rush-cThank you! Now can all you Osi haters, and GM's that want to trade him and his imagined distraction for a 4th pick, stfu and concentrate on the playoff instead of bs!!!</p>

lol.....Osi doesn't want to be here and we need to resign some others. Osi is a great player...a diva...and done. </p>

i've yet to see the article where osi said himself he himself does not want to play for the organization. until that article is posted everything else is speculation, gossip, and bull feed by the media.

radar-ray
01-09-2012, 11:23 PM
He had nine sacks this year, a tally made more impressive considering he played in only nine games, mostly in a time-share. According to the stats of Pro Football Focus, he rushed the passer 240 times, meaning he notched a sack every 26.67 snaps. To put this in perspective, Jared Allen, Minnesotaís dominant defensive end whose 22 sacks were a half sack away from tying Michael Strahanís single-season record, recorded a sack every 25.6 snaps. Pierre-Paul, who broke out as a star with 16.5 sacks, got one once every 34.5 snaps. http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2012/01/4949406/spectacular-closing-act-osi-umenyiora-charter-member-giants-pass-rush-cThank you! Now can all you Osi haters, and GM's that want to trade him and his imagined distraction for a 4th pick, stfu and concentrate on the playoff instead of bs!!!</p>

lol.....Osi doesn't want to be here and we need to resign some others.* Osi is a great player...a diva...and done. </p>

i've yet to see the article where osi said himself he himself does not want to play for the organization. until that article is posted everything else is speculation, gossip, and bull feed by the media.
Exactly! I don't know what these posters are smoking, but their imaginations are running out of control. Their so gullable to media BS.

Scarfacee71
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Pro Football Focus is a ****ty site I dont take anything they say seriously.

I've always liked Osi though I honestly cant hate a player trying to get paid. You'd all do the same thing.

If we can keep him at the price of his contract next year (which is only like 3.5M) then his impact for that one year at that price and as a rotational pass rusher is worth more to me then the return he'd net in a trade.

radar-ray
01-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Pro Football Focus is a ****ty site I dont take anything they say seriously.

I've always liked Osi though I honestly cant hate a player trying to get paid. You'd all do the same thing.

If we can keep him at the price of his contract next year (which is only like 3.5M) then his impact for that one year at that price and as a rotational pass rusher is worth more to me then the return he'd net in a trade.Talking sense doesn't work on here!!!

Killa4luv
01-10-2012, 12:58 AM
1. he wants $7 million a year and
</p>

2. he's not as complete a DE as Tuck or JPP,
</p>

3. he's older than both, and more injury prone to date.</p>

4. He's got tonnes of talent and some gas left in the tank, and he's better off on a team that doesn't know what to do with all of its cap space.</p>

I wanted to fix that for you. You've outlined 4 reasons. here's #5:
</p>

5. We've got Marvin Austin waiting in the wings who's going to be a beast, even if he's half as productive at a fraction of the cost.
</p>

6. At this point, Osi is almost a luxury playing well in the position we are most deep in.</p>

I love Osi, he's one of my favorites, but that money is too much considering we have positions of need to be addressed if we are going to be contenders for the next 3-5 years.</p>

</p>

</p>

T-Murda84
01-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Its up to Jerry Reese....I think Osi needs to be resigned to a big contract because of the decline in Justin Tuck's game. Last year, I thought JPP, Kiwi and Tuck would be enough of a force...but the defense seems to be better when Osi is in the mix as well. Tuck is still a very good player but he's waay to injury proned, and I think having Osi here helps when Tuck is absent.

buddy33
01-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Lol. Tuck is injury prone and Osi is not? How many games did Osi actually play this year? Tuck is their best defensive player when healthy. JPP is becoming a star, but when healthy Tuck is probably their most complete player. I give him the edge with experience. JPP might surpass him, but Tuck would still be their 2nd best DE.

The defense has been playing better since Tuck said he was healthy. That was the Jets game. Osi did not play that game. Having Osi is a plus, but Tuck is the reason why they have become better over the past 3 weeks.

GiantPride27
01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
<FONT color=#ff0000>He sucks! Get rid of this bum! He cant stop the run! Loser! We couldnt get a 5th round pick for this idiot!</FONT></P>

he doesn't suck but he wants $7 million a year and he's not as complete a DE as Tuck or JPP, older than both, and more injury prone to date.</P>

He's got tonnes of talent and some gas left in the tank, and he's better off on a team that doesn't know what to do with all of its cap space.</P>

this

burier
01-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Where do they find these math majors around here?

Guy if Osi is comming in the game on obvious passing downs then he can sell out to rush the passer vs an every down pass rusher who on a given attempt must play both pass and run.

Osi gets less reps and the reps he gets have been in many cases in passing situations which SHOULD boost his sacks-per number. And I'm pretty sure that's 4th grade math so...

lttaylor56
01-10-2012, 11:10 AM
He had nine sacks this year, a tally made more impressive considering he played in only nine games, mostly in a time-share. According to the stats of Pro Football Focus, he rushed the passer 240 times, meaning he notched a sack every 26.67 snaps. To put this in perspective, Jared Allen, Minnesotaís dominant defensive end whose 22 sacks were a half sack away from tying Michael Strahanís single-season record, recorded a sack every 25.6 snaps. Pierre-Paul, who broke out as a star with 16.5 sacks, got one once every 34.5 snaps. http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2012/01/4949406/spectacular-closing-act-osi-umenyiora-charter-member-giants-pass-rush-cThank you! Now can all you Osi haters, and GM's that want to trade him and his imagined distraction for a 4th pick, stfu and concentrate on the playoff instead of bs!!!</P>

lol.....Osi doesn't want to be here and we need to resign some others.* Osi is a great player...a diva...and done. </P>rah rah...I have been saying the same. Trade Bait.

T-Murda84
01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Lol. Tuck is injury prone and Osi is not? How many games did Osi actually play this year? Tuck is their best defensive player when healthy. JPP is becoming a star, but when healthy Tuck is probably their most complete player. I give him the edge with experience. JPP might surpass him, but Tuck would still be their 2nd best DE.

The defense has been playing better since Tuck said he was healthy. That was the Jets game. Osi did not play that game. Having Osi is a plus, but Tuck is the reason why they have become better over the past 3 weeks.

If u take the time to read my post....U would clearly see that believe that we need to keep the entire unit. I never said that we needed Tuck or Osi more than the other. I was just saying that we need Osi back in the rotation next year. You are the one comparing Tuck and Osi, and trying to convince us that hes the 2nd best DE. Thats all fine and good and your opinion but Osi still makes impact plays for this team. I was the biggest Osi critic in the past but he has done well this season and improved on the run since last season.

JimC
01-10-2012, 01:19 PM
<font color="#ff0000">He sucks! Get rid of this bum! He cant stop the run! Loser! We couldnt get a 5th round pick for this idiot!</font></p>

he doesn't suck but he wants $7 million a year and he's not as complete a DE as Tuck or JPP, older than both, and more injury prone to date.</p>

He's got tonnes of talent and some gas left in the tank, and he's <font color="#0000FF" size="5">better off on a team that doesn't know what to do with all of its cap space.</font></p>

Eagles?

netplus
01-10-2012, 04:28 PM
With Osi, Tuck, and JPP rushing the passer, the defense is soooo much better. You can't double all three. A nightmare for opposing teams. It's not a coincidence our DB's aren't beingembarrassed since Osi came back. I really hope he is back next year.</P>

NYCDBS
01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
We aren't as deep at DE at DE as you may think... OSI is injury prone but as tuck gets older he is too Kiwi is back from his herniated disk but that's something that could definitely re occur. Whose behind them? Tollefson????
And I don't care what anyone says about OSI not being a "complete" DE the guy can flat out wreck a game when he's on... I for one hope he stays a Giant.

DEgiants89
01-10-2012, 04:39 PM

haters gon hate but he is a stud

FBomb
01-10-2012, 06:46 PM

lol.....Osi doesn't want to be here and we need to resign some others. Osi is a great player...a diva...and done. </P>

Exactly! I don't know what these posters are smoking, but their imaginations are running out of control. Their so gullable to media BS.</P>

Google...."Osi wants out" </P>

Just because you don't want to believe it's not true doesn't mean it isn't.</P>

You guys are blinded by your love for the player that you are burying yourheads in the sand. People's favorite players come and go all the time...ESPECIALLY when they call out the organization in the press. Osi wants out. Live with it.</P>

</P>

</P>

BlueSanta
01-10-2012, 07:51 PM
For the record too, the primary function of a DE is not just to get sacks. In a 43 system the primary function is gap control.

There is little doubt that osi is the 3rd best DE(probably 4th if you include kiwi as a DE) on this team at gap control.

Nobody can argue his ability to sack the QB, but what is holding him back from earning that huge paycheck he so depserately desires is his lack of gap control.

Either way, he is worth what we pay him next year. He isnt worth much in trade. So I think he is here next year.

Redeyejedi
01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Sorry but I will take JPP who can play 100 snaps and still be relentless with his motor as my starter. I would love to keep Osi in just a pass rusher role that he is in right now. Id love to bring him in for 30-35 snaps a game and let him loose at the QB. In that role he can be extremely effective it will prolong his career as well

MikeSherrard
01-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I LOOKED AT THIS STAT...WHAT I MADE OF IT IS.........

HIS ATTEMPTS ARE EXTREMELY LOW BECAUSE HE MISSED A TON OF GAMES.

PRETTY IMPRESSIVE

netplus
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
10 games, 10 sacks, plus 5 QB hits and 22 QB pressures? For 3.5 million? I'd be pissed too if I was Osi. Oh yea, the strip sack is a game changer.

lawl
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM
For the record too, the primary function of a DE is not just to get sacks. In a 43 system the primary function is gap control.

</P>

43 Ends dont get paid for their great gap control, they get paid to get after the QB.</P>

Drez
01-10-2012, 09:07 PM
His sack numbers are impressive but can't really be compared to JPP or Jared Allen as every downplayers. Your sacks-per number should go up when you're playing primarily in obvious passing situations.</P>

This right here can't be overlooked. </P>

BlueSanta
01-10-2012, 09:15 PM

</p>

43 Ends dont get paid for their great gap control, they get paid to get after the QB.</p>

They get paid for both actually. All the high paid DEs are good at both.

lawl
01-10-2012, 09:22 PM

</P>

43 Ends dont get paid for their great gap control, they get paid to get after the QB.</P>

</P>

Dwight Freeny</P>

BlueSanta
01-10-2012, 09:52 PM

</p>

43 Ends dont get paid for their great gap control, they get paid to get after the QB.</p>

</p>

Dwight Freeny</p>

He is the 1 exception. But when he signed that deal he was an adequate gap controller. His skills are on the decline. His 2012 paycheck will likely get him cut this offseason, or at the very least renegotiated.

How about the recent big DE contracts?

Peppers, Babin, Johnson, Mario Williams, Allen, etc.

They are all excelent gap controllers.

The proof is in the trade efforts last year. We were unable to secure a 2nd round pick for Osi last offseason. To me, that means teams value gap control, not just sacks as you imply. .

lawl
01-11-2012, 03:33 AM

</p>

</p>

Dwight Freeny</p>

He is the 1 exception. But when he signed that deal he was an adequate gap controller. His skills are on the decline. His 2012 paycheck will likely get him cut this offseason, or at the very least renegotiated.

How about the recent big DE contracts?

Peppers, Babin, Johnson, Mario Williams,* Allen, etc.

They are all excelent gap controllers.

The proof is in the trade efforts last year. We were unable to secure a 2nd round pick for Osi last offseason. To me, that means teams value gap control, not just sacks as you imply. .

Teams value young players, not guys that want a big payday on their third contract. Also, it was always reported that we couldn't get a 1st rder for osi. Not 2nd.

All of those guys get after the QB, two of them were at the top this year in sacks.

Every scout coach analyst gm etc will tell you the most valuable pieces to a team are QB pass rushers and cover guys. Noone ever mentions gap control, it's not nearly as important as getting to the QB.

BlueSanta
01-11-2012, 05:01 AM
Also, it was always reported that we couldn't get a 1st rder for osi. Not 2nd.

Incorrect.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/31076083

Or if cbs isnt good enough for you perhaps something local, maybe the Giants beat writer Garafolo...
<a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/have_giants_lowered_their_dema.html">
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/have_giants_lowered_their_dema.html</a>

Gap control is the foundation on which the 43 defense is built. If 1 guy along the line is a poor gap controller the entire defense has to adjust to cover for him. It is why a guy like Charles Johnson, a decent but not great passrusher and a very good gap controller gets a huge paycheck while Osi, a great passrusher and a very poor gap controller gets a mediocre paycheck.

If sacks were all that mattered, I am sure we could have delt him last offseason for a 2nd round pick.