PDA

View Full Version : How about that Donta Hightower in Giant blue?

flimflam
01-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Take your Kuechly, Burfict, and Teo and shove 'em up your...I kid, I kid.

Donta is our guy. Hell he can shift between MLB and DE. Seriously, he would be a nice upgrade in the middle. He is most likely a 2nd rounder, so if we shore up one of our lines with an OT/OG or DT in round one, Donta would look mighty nice as our second pick.

gmen0820
01-09-2012, 11:37 PM
I've been high on Hightower for about 3 years. He will be a great player.

flimflam
01-09-2012, 11:53 PM

Well hell, you should be in our scouting department. Call Timmy Mara and tell him you're dating Kate and scouting for the team.

I know last year they were saying his ceiling is higher than Rolando McClain's, which is saying a lot.

Spizi
01-10-2012, 02:34 AM
The only thing I don't like about him is that he's not the most fluid athlete in space. Other than that he's very versatile with his ability to rush the passer and he has great size. 6'4 260

greenca190
01-10-2012, 02:46 AM

Well hell, you should be in our scouting department. Call Timmy Mara and tell him you're dating Kate and scouting for the team.

I know last year they were saying his ceiling is higher than Rolando McClain's, which is saying a lot.

Which means what, he might pull the trigger instead of just holding the gun up to the guys head?

Just kidding.

Anyways, McClain needs to be in a 3-4. I don't see the "ceiling" on him in the Raiders defense. He hasn't been awful, but he hasn't exactly lived up to being a top ten pick. Doesn't even play the position well enough to be a first round pick, in my opinion.

Hightower will be best suited in a 3-4 as well. Dude is a thumper. I like the way he plays, but I think we'd limit him here.

greenca190
01-10-2012, 02:47 AM

Which means what, he might pull the trigger instead of just holding the gun up to the guys head?

Just kidding.

Anyways, McClain needs to be in a 3-4. I don't see the "ceiling" on him in the Raiders defense. He hasn't been awful, but he hasn't exactly lived up to being a top ten pick. Doesn't even play the position well enough to be a first round pick, in my opinion.

Hightower will be best suited in a 3-4 as well. Dude is a thumper. I like the way he plays, but I think we'd limit him here.

Spizi
01-10-2012, 03:04 AM

Just kidding.

Exactly. Now I know all the draft gurus on here won't like this but I've looked at all the prospects that we might get and Vontaze Burfict is the guy i want. He has great measurables (6'3 250) and has the burfict mentality for a middle linebacker hehehe. He can get a little too crazy on the field but if you asked me would I want James Harrison on my team I wouldn't hesitate to say yes. We NEED and impact linebacker so let's take a shot a Burfict.

greenca190
01-10-2012, 03:10 AM

Just kidding.

Exactly. Now I know all the draft gurus on here won't like this but I've looked at all the prospects that we might get and Vontaze Burfict is the guy i want. He has great measurables (6'3 250) and has the burfict mentality for a middle linebacker hehehe. He can get a little too crazy on the field but if you asked me would I want James Harrison on my team I wouldn't hesitate to say yes. We NEED and impact linebacker so let's take a shot a Burfict.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to watch him play. He's been benched most of the year because he's a ****.

If we can get him in the 2nd, go for it.

BlueSanta
01-10-2012, 06:33 AM

Just kidding.

You bring up Harrison. So ill stick with that comparison for simplicity sake, although they play different positions completely there are other HUGE differences.

As recently as 2008 Harrison was the AP defensive player of the year. The guy produces and is 1 of the best in the league at his position. At that time(2008), nobody called him a dirty player. He was nasty but not dirty. Then, the rules of football changed, and Harrison has had a hard time adjusting and that led to a lot of personal foul penalties for illegal hits. He didnt change, the game around him changed.

Burfict, on the other hand, just flat out ignores the rules. His personal fouls are not just because he does things illegal during the play, but because he does dumb things at an alarming rate. I played for a great college coach. He always said you dont want to punish a kid for an aggression mistake, but you NEED to punish them for mental mistakes. A huge majority of Burficts penalties were mental mistakes, lack of control, or just plain stupidity and selfishness, putting his ego above the team. He led the nation in Personal fouls and his team led the nation in penalty yards because of it.

From a personality standpoint Vontaze may have the same innate aggression as Harrison. But now way does he have Harrisons intellegence.

Furthermore, his play this year was bad. You can overlook some thing if your a star. But, he wasnt a star this year. He wasnt even the best LBer on his own team.

Lastly, his personality is disaster pairing for NYC. You wanna give a 21 yr old kid who has a STRONG history of not being able to control himself access to A) the NY nightlife and B) the media who will be sticking mics in front of him every second trying to get him to explode so they have a story.

Remember, this is the same media that in 2006 managed make 1 of NY's most beloved athletes, Michael Strahan, look greedy. People on these boards were crying for us to trade him because he wanted to renegotiate his deal. What do you think they would do to Burfict?

bLuereverie
01-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Negating any personal conduct/mental mistake penalties, Burfict just hasn't looked like a good football player at all for some time.

I wouldn't attest to taking him in the second round, but at this point, there are a lot more picks I would make before him.

Redeyejedi
01-10-2012, 07:34 AM
I dont think he is a very good fit for the Giants.I think he would be a SOLB if he played here not a MLB.He wouldnt be able to play 3 downs. He would really struggle in pass coverage.Put him on a 3-4 team and he will be a force

Redeyejedi
01-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Negating any personal conduct/mental mistake penalties, Burfict just hasn't looked like a good football player at all for some time.

I wouldn't attest to taking him in the second round, but at this point, there are a lot more picks I would make before him.Burfict has not improved one iota from coming into college.His game never evolved. Most College players get better as the years pass.Burfict did not take to coaching at all at ASU.He still freelances,has horrible gap discipline, and leaves his feet to often to tackle.

charles355
01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
He's a poor man Levon Kirkland.... more suited for 3-4 I think... he looks fat but plays faster than he seems to be able to...

still like the guy though

Raptor22
01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
IMO, Hightower (like McClain) benefits from playing in Nick Sabin's defense. He never really jumps off the screen to me. He and Upshaw look more like 34 'backers to me.

bLuereverie
01-10-2012, 02:15 PM
If Dont'a becomes a Giant, I see him in Kiwi's role more than seeing him as a three down LB.

DelawareGiants
01-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Just kidding.

You bring up Harrison. So ill stick with that comparison for simplicity sake, although they play different positions completely there are other HUGE differences.

As recently as 2008 Harrison was the AP defensive player of the year. The guy produces and is 1 of the best in the league at his position. At that time(2008), nobody called him a dirty player. He was nasty but not dirty. Then, the rules of football changed, and Harrison has had a hard time adjusting and that led to a lot of personal foul penalties for illegal hits. He didnt change, the game around him changed.

Burfict, on the other hand, just flat out ignores the rules. His personal fouls are not just because he does things illegal during the play, but* because he does dumb things at an alarming rate.* I played for a great college coach. He always said you dont want to punish a kid for an aggression mistake, but you NEED to punish them for mental mistakes. A huge majority of Burficts penalties were mental mistakes, lack of control, or just plain stupidity and selfishness, putting his ego above the team. He led the nation in Personal fouls and his team led the nation in penalty yards because of it.

From a personality standpoint Vontaze may have the same innate aggression* as Harrison. But now way does he have Harrisons intellegence.

Furthermore, his play this year was* bad. You can overlook some thing if your a star. But, he wasnt a star this year. He wasnt even the best LBer on his own team.

Lastly, his personality is* disaster pairing for NYC. You wanna give a 21 yr old kid who has a STRONG history of not being able to control himself access to A) the NY nightlife and B) the media who will be sticking mics in front of him every second trying to get him to explode so they have a story.

*Remember, this is the same media that in 2006 managed make 1 of NY's most beloved athletes, Michael Strahan, look greedy. People on these boards were crying for us to trade him because he wanted to renegotiate his deal.* What do you think they would do to Burfict?

Great points Blue Santa! I have to agree about Burfict and I don't see him being a "Coughlin" or Reese guy. You would hope he could change with a mentor but not sure- I almost see him going to Baltimore and put under Ray Lewis' wings. (scary if he becomes RL2). I do like Hightower though and would love for Fewell to try and piece him into our D.

Wes
01-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Take your Kuechly, Burfict, and Teo and shove 'em up your...I kid, I kid. Donta is our guy. Hell he can shift between MLB and DE. Seriously, he would be a nice upgrade in the middle. He is most likely a 2nd rounder, so if we shore up one of our lines with an OT/OG or DT in round one, Donta would look mighty nice as our second pick.</P>

</P>

you really think hed make it to 2nd round? i highly doubt it. ravens, cards, eagles, steelers all will likely be looking for mlbs</P>

guess depends on combine but most have this kid rated low 1st rnd</P>

Wes
01-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Take your Kuechly, Burfict, and Teo and shove 'em up your...I kid, I kid. Donta is our guy. Hell he can shift between MLB and DE. Seriously, he would be a nice upgrade in the middle. He is most likely a 2nd rounder, so if we shore up one of our lines with an OT/OG or DT in round one, Donta would look mighty nice as our second pick.</P>

</P>

you really think hed make it to 2nd round? i highly doubt it. ravens, cards, eagles, steelers all will likely be looking for mlbs</P>

guess depends on combine but most have this kid rated low 1st rnd</P>

myles2424
01-10-2012, 11:39 PM

*</P>

you really think hed make it to 2nd round?** i highly doubt it. ravens, cards, eagles, steelers all will likely be looking for mlbs</P>

guess depends on combine but most have this kid rated low 1st rnd</P> my rule of thumb is, whenever a guy ranked as late 1st/early 2nd assume they go at the end of the 1st......teams will jump because they know theres no chance in the 2nd......so unless whoever it may be does something to mess up his draft stock then I'd assume 1st...same goes with Hightower....

myles2424
01-10-2012, 11:42 PM
There's enough LBs every year that have trouble in coverage......we Need a legit 3 down LB

titwio
01-10-2012, 11:51 PM
There's enough LBs every year that have trouble in coverage......we Need a legit 3 down LB

Travis Lewis anyone?....1st round material that could be had later because of the injury this year. I think there is a good chance he could end up in blue.

flimflam
01-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Just kidding.

Burfict, on the other hand, just flat out ignores the rules. His personal fouls are not just because he does things illegal during the play, but* because he does dumb things at an alarming rate.* I played for a great college coach. He always said you dont want to punish a kid for an aggression mistake, but you NEED to punish them for mental mistakes. A huge majority of Burficts penalties were mental mistakes, lack of control, or just plain stupidity and selfishness, putting his ego above the team. He led the nation in Personal fouls and his team led the nation in penalty yards because of it.

From a personality standpoint Vontaze may have the same innate aggression* as Harrison. But now way does he have Harrisons intellegence.

Furthermore, his play this year was* bad. You can overlook some thing if your a star. But, he wasnt a star this year. He wasnt even the best LBer on his own team.

Lastly, his personality is* disaster pairing for NYC. You wanna give a 21 yr old kid who has a STRONG history of not being able to control himself access to A) the NY nightlife and B) the media who will be sticking mics in front of him every second trying to get him to explode so they have a story.

*Remember, this is the same media that in 2006 managed make 1 of NY's most beloved athletes, Michael Strahan, look greedy. People on these boards were crying for us to trade him because he wanted to renegotiate his deal.* What do you think they would do to Burfict?

From the "character" stuff that I have read on Burfict, as good an athelete as he may be, he seems to have the mental makeup that would prevent Reese from even putting him on hsi draft board.

I just hope we get an impact linebacker in the early rounds. We cannot continue this trend of drafting 4th and 5th round talent, and expect first round pick production.

critters
01-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Kinda sad to say, but I was hoping this guy would end up a Giant when he was still in high school. It's crazy to me that after all these years, we may actually be in position to land him.

Don't blow this Giants!

BlueSanta
01-13-2012, 06:07 AM
We cannot continue this trend of drafting 4th and 5th round talent, and expect first round pick production.

Really? Because Jaqain Williams , a 6th round pick has as good stats as any rookie LB in the NFL aside from Von Miller and Aldon Smith(but 3-4 olb is should be compared to DE, not 43 olb)

All those big names guys ppl on these boards fought over like :

Akeem Ayers
Bruce Carter
Martez Wilson
Casey Mathews
KJ Wright
Colin McCarthy
Kelvin Sheppard
Justin Houstan
Quan Sturdivant

JW stats hold up to all those guys. Some of them he blows away. And oh ya, he didnt start for us for several games this year.

A lot of people on these boards need to recognize how good this kid has been for us. Just to put it into perspective, it took Jesse Armstead 4 years to have the kind of year that JW had in his 1st.

So I BEG Reese to please keep finding guys like this in the late rounds. Any mistakes he has made in the past with mid/ late round Lb picks he more than made up for with this kid.

nycsportzfan
01-13-2012, 06:23 AM
We cannot continue this trend of drafting 4th and 5th round talent, and expect first round pick production.

Really? Because Jaqain Williams , a 6th round pick has as good stats as any rookie LB in the NFL aside from Von Miller and Aldon Smith(but 3-4 olb is should be compared to DE, not 43 olb)

All those big names guys ppl on these boards fought over like :

Akeem Ayers
Bruce Carter
Martez Wilson
Casey Mathews
KJ Wright
Colin McCarthy
Kelvin Sheppard
Justin Houstan
Quan Sturdivant

JW stats hold up to all those guys. Some of them he blows away. And oh ya, he didnt start for us for several games this year.

A lot of people on these boards need to recognize how good this kid has been for us. Just to put it into perspective, it took Jesse Armstead 4 years to have the kind of year that JW had in his 1st.

So I BEG Reese to please keep finding guys like this in the late rounds. Any mistakes he has made in the past with mid/ late round Lb picks he more than made up for with this kid.
As soon as the Williams pick was made I joked how Reese actually found one guy out there i haden't known about and then doing my research on him i think i fully understud what he was doing..
He was totally projecting with williams and taking a guess that if williams played another yr at S Fla and improved one yr to the next(like most good college players do) that hed probably be around a 2nd rounder the following draft.. That is why i love reese and the way he drafts.. Why not try things like that late in the draft?

I will say that u mentioned those other LB's and i here what your saying but alot of time its not all just based on the player but the oppurutnity he was given.. Jaquain was given a great opp with us because of our depth issues and goff getting hurt and what not some other guys may not of gotten that type of OPP quite yet.. I will say Ayers and Kj Wright who were 2other LB's i loved had stellar seasons! I actually sported a Kj Wright avatar during draft season last yr for a short while LOL

BlueSanta
01-13-2012, 07:17 AM
I will say that u mentioned those other LB's and i here what your saying but alot of time its not all just based on the player but the oppurutnity he was given.. Jaquain was given a great opp with us because of our depth issues and goff getting hurt and what not some other guys may not of gotten that type of OPP quite yet.. I will say Ayers and Kj Wright who were 2other LB's i loved had stellar seasons! I actually sported a Kj Wright avatar during draft season last yr for a short while LOL

Ya no doubt, Those guys both played well. And some of the others will in the future , Im sure. I meant no disrespect to them but rather more praise to JW.

but, you also gotta remember than several guys listed there who do have comparable stats played far more than JW, who split much time this year with others.

You mention Ayers and Wright. Both those guys started week 1. JW didnt start till much later. Both Ayers and KJ looked good. But, both also had more opportunity to equal or best JW's stats. I think its very fair to say that JW has done more with less playtime. Kj and Ayers both started week 1. Of course, this isnt saying he is a better player or anything like that. Only time can tell that. But, considering when we got him, its 1 of the more brilliant picks in ALL of last year's draft imho.

michaelkhan3
01-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Just kidding.

Burfict, on the other hand, just flat out ignores the rules. His personal fouls are not just because he does things illegal during the play, but because he does dumb things at an alarming rate. I played for a great college coach. He always said you dont want to punish a kid for an aggression mistake, but you NEED to punish them for mental mistakes. A huge majority of Burficts penalties were mental mistakes, lack of control, or just plain stupidity and selfishness, putting his ego above the team. He led the nation in Personal fouls and his team led the nation in penalty yards because of it.

From a personality standpoint Vontaze may have the same innate aggression as Harrison. But now way does he have Harrisons intellegence.

Furthermore, his play this year was bad. You can overlook some thing if your a star. But, he wasnt a star this year. He wasnt even the best LBer on his own team.

Lastly, his personality is disaster pairing for NYC. You wanna give a 21 yr old kid who has a STRONG history of not being able to control himself access to A) the NY nightlife and B) the media who will be sticking mics in front of him every second trying to get him to explode so they have a story.

Remember, this is the same media that in 2006 managed make 1 of NY's most beloved athletes, Michael Strahan, look greedy. People on these boards were crying for us to trade him because he wanted to renegotiate his deal. What do you think they would do to Burfict?

He never actually got in trouble outside the field (that I know of) and I think he is gonna have to grow a lot when he comes into the NFL. If we draft him it will be because the FO interviewed him and they think he can be tamed and teach him. I think he learns here he could be a very good LBs in the NFL with his athleticism.

nycsportzfan
01-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Ya no doubt, Those guys both played well. And some of the others will in the future , Im sure. I meant no disrespect to them but rather more praise to JW.

but, you also gotta remember than several guys listed there who do have comparable stats played far more than JW, who split much time this year with others.

You mention Ayers and Wright. Both those guys started week 1. JW didnt start till much later. Both Ayers and KJ looked good. But, both also had more opportunity to equal or best JW's stats. I think its very fair to say that JW has done more with less playtime. Kj and Ayers both started week 1. Of course, this isnt saying he is a better player or anything like that. Only time can tell that. But, considering when we got him, its 1 of the more brilliant picks in ALL of last year's draft imho.
Ya WIlliams was a great pick! But i will say that Ayers and wright both played the SLB positon and often near the line and not so much in coverege hence why Wright and Ayers destroyed Williams in Tackles for Loss(wright had 8 and Ayers 4 and jaquain 1) and each had a Sack more then Jaquain as well .. Jaquain didn't start much but did see a ton of on field action and i think he might be our future WLB but then again i think we got what would of been a 2nd round pick had he returned to school which would of had him going well before Wright and in the same RD as a Ayers..

its neither here nor there though .. As u said Jaquain was great value in RD 6 and a sure steal! I pretty much always agree with Reeses picks and never stressed not taking a LB in a early round when most cried about it becuase it was pretty plain as day to see the value just hasen't been there and there has been better value with other picks and usually the other pick seems like such a steal at the time its hard to get angry about not reaching for a LB..lol I almost feel like he was pressured into taking Phillip Dillard the yr he drafted him just beause of all the so called experts and fans screaming "we need Lb's!!' and the value really wasen't there for Dillard in RD 4 and i think Reese learned his lesson there and won't be doing that again anytime soon LOL