PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Giants overlooked so often?

GIANTSED101
04-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Hello everyone...Being new to the boards I was hoping toget some good answers in regards to why it seems the Giants are always overlooked. In 2007 we went to the Superbowl with expectations of firingthe coach at the beginning of the season. In 2008 we were smashing teams until Plax had his incident. Last year, well we all know what happened last year, tons of injuries, people not stepping up and of course the safeties, not to mention Sheridan. Eli had one if his best year as a quarterback and Steve Smith was a beast along with Hakkem nicks. Even though we've been to the playofss consistenly over the last couple of years and have a ring it seems no matter what we do we're always being picked to be a dreadful team. We have the talent to play with anybody in this league, so why do we constantly get treated like we're the lion?

Jint Fan 73
04-16-2010, 12:04 PM
in 2008 we were the #1 ranked team almost the whole year so I don't know how you say we were overlooked

GIANTSED101
04-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Your right about 2008, but wht i meant was before the season even started they they retty much said 2007 was a fluke and didn't give us a chnace at even repeating until the season started looking good for us. </P>

PrideofNY
04-16-2010, 12:21 PM
One thing I noticed was that Steve Smith's Touchdown in the Pro Bowl wasn't even in the highlights of the game on nfl.com

Weygand
04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
That's what happens when you are the #1 seed following a Superbowl win and you choke at home and then finish 8-8 in the subsequent season with 2 incredibly embarrassing performances.

It's called "lying in the bed you have made"

GIANTSED101
04-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I do agree with you in regards to last season but let me ask you something? Whether we were 8-8 or 10-6 can you honestly say that ESPN and everyone else and their dog still wouldn't be saying that we're going to do awful this season. That's the point that i was trying to make. it doesn't matter if we're 11-5, 10-6,8-8 in my eyes the Giants are alwasy looked at as a sub par team.

Jint Fan 73
04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Your right about 2008, but wht i meant was before the season even started they they retty much said 2007 was a fluke and didn't give us a chnace at even repeating until the season started looking good for us. </p>

this guy had us as the #1 team in May of 2008
<a href="http://walterfootball.com/analysis.php">
http://walterfootball.com/analysis.php</a>

GIANTSED101
04-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Hey thanks, I forgot about that article..I don't mean to sound like the Giants are the the best thing since sliced cheese but every year we have to hear about Dallas and Romo, and the Eagles and now the Redskins are going to be good becasue Donovan so all of a sudden we're at the bottom of the heap again. Atleast show us some love, heck we do have some pro bowlers on the team that can ball.

hadenough
04-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Hello everyone...Being new to the boards I was hoping toget some good answers in regards to why it seems the Giants are always overlooked. In 2007 we went to the Superbowl with expectations of firingthe coach at the beginning of the season. In 2008 we were smashing teams until Plax had his incident. Last year, well we all know what happened last year, tons of injuries, people not stepping up and of course the safeties, not to mention Sheridan. Eli had one if his best year as a quarterback and Steve Smith was a beast along with Hakkem nicks. Even though we've been to the playofss consistenly over the last couple of years and have a ring it seems no matter what we do we're always being picked to be a dreadful team. We have the talent to play with anybody in this league, so why do we constantly get treated like we're the lion?</P>

</P>

I hear what your saying. The Giants aren't media darlings. Even if people ranked them as the #1 team in '08...what are you not going to rank the best team #1? </P>

Just within our division...the Cowboys are loved by the media, the Eagles are loved by the media, and I would even say the Redskins. </P>

In my opinion each of those organizations severly promote their teams. Dallas and Jerry Jones...enough said. The Redskins have been terrible but Snider always makes good headlines. And the Eagles organization always crowns themselves the best team in the league every year and the media loves it.</P>

I would say it's part of the Giants kind ofold style MO. You don't see them waving their logo in everyone's face or saying we are the best or making crazy decisions. So, in the media eyes I would think they are somewhat boring and they could care less about them. You mayget some quotes out of players like, Plax, Shockey and such butthat happens everywhere.</P>

</P>

</P>

bigblue58
04-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Hello everyone...Being new to the boards I was hoping toget some good answers in regards to why it seems the Giants are always overlooked. In 2007 we went to the Superbowl with expectations of firingthe coach at the beginning of the season. In 2008 we were smashing teams until Plax had his incident. Last year, well we all know what happened last year, tons of injuries, people not stepping up and of course the safeties, not to mention Sheridan. Eli had one if his best year as a quarterback and Steve Smith was a beast along with Hakkem nicks. Even though we've been to the playofss consistenly over the last couple of years and have a ring it seems no matter what we do we're always being picked to be a dreadful team. We have the talent to play with anybody in this league, so why do we constantly get treated like we're the lion?

The fact of the matter is, in 2007, the big story was the NE Patriots going for 19-0! All the talking heads predicted it, it's all they talked about, and the various networks spent millions pre-planning all of the specials that would celebrate the Patriots' "perfect season".......and then the Giants upset New England in SB 42, there was no "perfect season" (except for us Giants fans of course LOL) and a lot of so called "experts" were left looking very stupid.... and of course.... all the "perfect season" specials had to be scrapped, and the money flushed down the crapper! They haven't forgotten that, and the Giants have been in their crosshairs ever since. The talking heads may occasionally, begrudgingly throw the Giants a compliment, but they always announce a Giants loss with louder voices, and just a bit more enthusiasm than they will a Giants' win! Thats my story and i'm sticking to it!!!!!

Jint Fan 73
04-16-2010, 12:55 PM
jeez - enough withe the anti-giant conspiracy theories already

GIANTSED101
04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
lol...I loved that great perspective.

GIANTSED101
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
I swear it does seem like are highlights are shorter,interviews and everything else. They only time they show the longer interviews wass when wew were having problems with players, they were sure to show those extended clips.

GMAN2K9
04-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Because the Giants aren't flashy... they (usually) just get the job done

GiantGeorge
04-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I swear it does seem like are highlights are shorter,interviews and everything else. They only time they show the longer interviews wass when wew were having problems with players, they were sure to show those extended clips.

Ed, I don't really think the media, in general, covers or not-covers the Giants anymore than any other team. As for over-looking the Giants, I'm not sure they do that either. Just look at the record for the past 3 seasons. Yes, we won the superbowl, but, we were also 10-6 that year and were close to not even making the playoffs. As for 2008, well, we had a great season but we also crashed and burned when it mattered, in the playoffs. As for 2009, do I need to really go there? Right now, if you follow these things, I believe the odds in Vegas are currently 13-1 that the Giants win the division. With the current coaching changes and hoping key players come back from injuries, I can honestly understand why some are not predicting the Giants have a great year. I'm not saying they won't, but I can understand the skepticism. I don't think that's overlooking as much as, 'show me on the field, then I'll believe it" type of coverage.

egyptian420
04-16-2010, 01:34 PM
thats just how we do...in 07 every1 said the cowboys would beat us....we beat them....they said there was no way we'd beat the packers, we beat them, then the superbowl the whole world said there would be No way we'd beat the undefeated patriots....we beat em.....its that simple...we play better when people doubt us and I love it that way. We don't make ridiculous moves that go to the headlines we gotta just face it, we're not that interesting of a team when it comes to headlines because Coughlin likes to keep everything under the radar which is smart. Once again we will win the superbowl and no one will see it coming...and it will be f ucking Sweet

I'm Your Huckelberry
04-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey thanks, I forgot about that article..I don't mean to sound like the Giants are the the <FONT color=#0000ff size=5>best thing since sliced cheese</FONT> but every year we have to hear about Dallas and Romo, and the Eagles and now the Redskins are going to be good becasue Donovan so all of a sudden we're at the bottom of the heap again. Atleast show us some love, heck we do have some pro bowlers on the team that can ball.</P>

Sliced Cheese &gt; Sliced Bread.</P>

derekunion28
04-16-2010, 05:52 PM
maybe because we tend to not be consistent, we play up and down and play good teams good and stoop to bad teams............this throws guessers off when they watch the giants play ?.......jmho

listenup
04-16-2010, 05:55 PM
NYG always seems to get no love from the media unless they are playing flawless while a team like Dallas is always a fav.

FBomb
04-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Hello everyone...Being new to the boards I was hoping toget some good answers in regards to why it seems the Giants are always overlooked. In 2007 we went to the Superbowl with expectations of firingthe coach at the beginning of the season. In 2008 we were smashing teams until Plax had his incident. Last year, well we all know what happened last year, tons of injuries, people not stepping up and of course the safeties, not to mention Sheridan. Eli had one if his best year as a quarterback and Steve Smith was a beast along with Hakkem nicks. Even though we've been to the playofss consistenly over the last couple of years and have a ring it seems no matter what we do we're always being picked to be a dreadful team. We have the talent to play with anybody in this league, so why do we constantly get treated like we're the lion?</P>

A) Because you are a fan of the Giants. It only seems like you're getting overlooked. Just like it seems we get the lions share of bad calls......it's only the perception ofevery fan of every team.</P>

B) We don't have a star on our helmets and Tom Brady is not our QB.</P>

Lastly, sports reporters have no more of an idea how each season will unfold than we do.</P>

Itlan
04-16-2010, 06:14 PM
There is a backlash against New York teams, but who cares.

Jtuck
04-16-2010, 06:24 PM
That's what happens when you are the #1 seed following a Superbowl win and you choke at home and then finish 8-8 in the subsequent season with 2 incredibly embarrassing performances.

Thank You for spelling it out for these folks who live in La La Land! What You said above is exactly right! Before 2007, One and done in the playoffs. 2005 playoff game 23-0 embarrasment! 2002 playoff game 38 -0 lead at half only to embarrassing lose lead and lose the game by 3 points. 2008 # 1 seed thru out the entire NFC only to fall flat on their faces because our QB has down syndrome and doo dooed in his pants once again. Our QB is considered Gomer Pile by most NFL fans! So Yeah, If I was an analyst seeing this history, I wouldn't pick us to do jack either! 2008 was the perfect year to let the NFL know we were for real and the SB wasn't a fluke and ELI gave the analyst just was they thought he was. A Fraud!

Jtuck
04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
maybe because we tend to not be consistent, we play up and down and play good teams good and stoop to bad teams............this throws guessers off when they watch the giants play ?.......jmho

This is also correctamundo!

FBomb
04-16-2010, 06:27 PM
That's what happens when you are the #1 seed following a Superbowl win and you choke at home and then finish 8-8 in the subsequent season with 2 incredibly embarrassing performances. It's called "lying in the bed you have made"

Thank You for spelling it out for these folks who live in La La Land! What You said above is exactly right! Before 2007, One and done in the playoffs. 2005 playoff game 23-0 embarrasment! 2002 playoff game 38 -0 lead at half only to embarrassing lose lead and lose the game by 3 points. 2008 # 1 seed thru out the entire NFC only to fall flat on their faces because our QB has down syndrome and doo dooed in his pants once again. Our QB is considered Gomer Pile by most NFL fans! So Yeah, If I was an analyst seeing this history, I wouldn't pick us to do jack either! 2008 was the perfect year to let the NFL know we were for real and the SB wasn't a fluke and ELI gave the analyst just was they thought he was. A Fraud!
</P>

Do you enjoy sounding like a complete moron? </P>

GIANTSED101
04-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all of the great responses, I do like it when we're uder the radar but at the same time I do hate it when people just ignor us. but like a couple of you said that's just the ways it is. Being a Giants fan is tough but it's worth it that's for damn sure!!

Jtuck
04-16-2010, 06:30 PM
That's what happens when you are the #1 seed following a Superbowl win and you choke at home and then finish 8-8 in the subsequent season with 2 incredibly embarrassing performances. It's called "lying in the bed you have made"

</p>

Do you enjoy sounding like a complete moron? </p>
Get offf My D--ck Homer! It's My damn opinion and I have a right to it homer pile!

FBomb
04-16-2010, 06:32 PM

</P>

Get offf My D--ck Homer! It's My damn opinion and I have a right to it homer pile!
</P>

And MY damn opinion is your opinion makes you look stupid. Maybe posting your opinions on a public MB isn't for you if you're going to be so sensetive. Try Nick Jr.</P>

GIANTSED101
04-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey JTUCK what's with the Eli bashing, man i didn't like Eli at first either but I have to be honest you have to give the guy credit. He's gotten better over the years and he's one tough cookie, especially being in NY. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes as a fan I've been a little bit greedy with wanting more from my team but hell all I have to do is look at the Eagles fans and I feel alot better </P>

Jtuck
04-16-2010, 06:36 PM

</p>

</p>

And MY damn opinion is your opinion makes you look stupid. Maybe posting your opinions on a public MB isn't for you if you're going to be so sensetive. Try Nick Jr.</p>

Stay the f--ck out My post! TY Homer!

FBomb
04-16-2010, 06:37 PM

</P>

</P>

And MY damn opinion is your opinion makes you look stupid. Maybe posting your opinions on a public MB isn't for you if you're going to be so sensetive. Try Nick Jr.</P>

</P>

ummm.....make me?</P>

Jtuck
04-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Hey JTUCK what's with the Eli bashing, man i didn't like Eli at first either but I have to be honest you have to give the guy credit. He's gotten better over the years and he's one tough cookie, especially being in NY. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes as a fan I've been a little bit greedy with wanting more from my team but hell all I have to do is look at the Eagles fans and I feel alot better </p>

I am not an Eli Manning fanboy homer like the rest of these guys on this board. Never liked him, and never will! I just don't think he's as good as any of the top 10 QB's in the league. I just don't thin k he can carry a team if he needed too. That's how I see it. But guys like f--kfaceBomb want to name call because you have a different opinion instead of the cheerleader homer opinion like most do on these boards who worship Eli!

FBomb
04-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey JTUCK what's with the Eli bashing, man i didn't like Eli at first either but I have to be honest you have to give the guy credit. He's gotten better over the years and he's one tough cookie, especially being in NY. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes as a fan I've been a little bit greedy with wanting more from my team but hell all I have to do is look at the Eagles fans and I feel alot better </P>

I am not an Eli Manning fanboy homer like the rest of these guys on this board. Never liked him, and never will! I just don't think he's as good as any of the top 10 QB's in the league. I just don't thin k he can carry a team if he needed too. That's how I see it. But guys like f--kfaceBomb want to name call because you have a different opinion instead of the cheerleader homer opinion like most do on these boards who worship Eli!
</P>

Refusing to accept reality just because you dislike a guy is why you're opinion is moronic. The rest of us have watched him improve over the years while idiots such as yourself just continue to bury your head in the sand and call other posters homers. I guess Reese is a homer too?</P>

YATittle1962
04-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey JTUCK what's with the Eli bashing, man i didn't like Eli at first either but I have to be honest you have to give the guy credit. He's gotten better over the years and he's one tough cookie, especially being in NY. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes as a fan I've been a little bit greedy with wanting more from my team but hell all I have to do is look at the Eagles fans and I feel alot better </p>

I am not an Eli Manning fanboy homer like the rest of these guys on this board. Never liked him, and never will! I just don't think he's as good as any of the top 10 QB's in the league. I just don't thin k he can carry a team if he needed too. That's how I see it. But guys like f--kfaceBomb want to name call because you have a different opinion instead of the cheerleader homer opinion like most do on* these boards who worship Eli!

he didnt carry the team through the 07 playoffs?

Im no Eli lover.....but the kid can play

Armstead#98
04-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Great breakdown, these homers will give you every excuse in the book
The Giants embarrassed themselves, the organization and the fans last year.. They quit like a bunch of dogs
I'd also pick them to finish last

Jtuck
04-16-2010, 06:53 PM

he didnt carry the team through the 07 playoffs?

Im no Eli lover.....but the kid can play

Can we get out of the 1st round of the playoffs. We did it only one time with him. I get on Eli, because I want more consistancy from him. Listen, when Tom Brady, steps on the field, U know 99% of the time what You are going to get out of him. The same with Peyton and Drew Bree's! With Eli, I honestly just don't know if Mr Hyde will show up in these games. That why many players thru out the league fans of many other teams look at him like a joke! I know QB's have bad games.,bu My god man when Mr Hyde shows up to play QB for us, it looks like ELI never played a down of football or QB in his life. It's truly that embarrassing when he has a bad game! The G-MEN look like the keystone cops!

listenup
04-16-2010, 06:56 PM

I am not an Eli Manning fanboy homer like the rest of these guys on this board. Never liked him, and never will! I just don't think he's as good as any of the top 10 QB's in the league. I just don't thin k he can carry a team if he needed too. That's how I see it. But guys like f--kfaceBomb want to name call because you have a different opinion instead of the cheerleader homer opinion like most do on* these boards who worship Eli!
When the game is on the line Eli has come through time & time again (SB42,Cowboys opener w/ 100K screaming fans)Eli has ice water in his veins getting it done.

He is also coming off his best yr & has gotten better every yr.Give credit where its due.

gmen46
04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
All us fans notice this so-called withholding of respect for the Giants to different degrees, and as obvious on this and other threads, have differing opinions as to why.

Some of it has to be attributed to the fact that a teams' fans are by definition more finely attuned to anything said or written about their favorite team--thus, we never hear enough good about our team, and we are certain to hear every single negative comment made about them.

And, after all, this team is a kind of extended family for many of us:
any of US can (and certainly do!) slam the Giants individually and collectively. It could almost be said that is the prime reason for existence of the Message Board; but when we hear anyone outside the "family" speak disparagingly about my Giants---thems fightin words!

Well, at least that analogy describes my relationship with my own brother.

But in my opinion, a lot of this "phenomena" regarding quantity of coverage of the Giants, and subsequent "small" amount of praise for the Giants when they do well, is due to the nature of Sports journalism (all journalism, for that matter) today.

The majority of coverage is attracted by various dramas surrounding any given team, not by the quality of a given team's performance, work ethic, character, etc.

The Cowboys ALWAYS seem to have some kind of drama attached to them, so they get a lot of coverage (the fact that the Cowboys have been unusually quiet this offseason, and we have not heard much about them since Jan. should underline that point).

The Eagles, and several other teams (last couple of years you can add Vikings, Raiders, Denver, Browns, Steelers, Jets, Packers, to name a few--they change every couple of years, it seems) --not to mention certain individual players like TO, Brandon Marshall, etc--seem to have some kind of drama surrounding them year-round. That always receives more coverage.

The Giants, over the decades, tend to manage avoiding the off-field and on-field dramas. Obvious recent exceptions to that were Tiki personal comments on national TV the first season after he retired, and Plaxico end of last year. And did you enjoy THAT media attention? I know I didn't.

So, basically, the primary reason the Giants seem not to get a lot of "love" from the media is simply because they are too boring--more often than not.

Also, btw, I have heard one, if not two, analysts on NFL Channel project the Giants to win the NFC East, or at least project them for the playoffs in 2010. Not that that means diddly by itself, but just let it be said that not all the media diss our beloved GEEEEMEN for the upcoming season.

BlueBlitzer
04-16-2010, 07:42 PM

</P>

MVP SuperBowl Winner. Denied perfection. Iron Man, plays through pain. High class , generous with His money ( Katrina, Birth Center ). His players believe in Him. What exactly do you expect Eli to do ? Win the SB every year ? Here's a clue for you. Rivers ( nothing ) Romo ( nothing ) McNabbnothing . Eli will win His next SB, before these guys win their first. </P>

Jtuck
04-16-2010, 07:49 PM

</p>

MVP SuperBowl Winner. Denied perfection. Iron Man, plays through pain. High class , generous with His money ( Katrina, Birth Center ). His players believe in Him. What exactly do you expect Eli to do ? Win the SB every year ? Here's a clue for you. Rivers ( nothing ) Romo ( nothing ) McNabbnothing . Eli will win His next SB, before these guys win their first. </p>

All thanks to his defense! If not for our defense, the PATS would have been perfect! Eli almost threw the game away in that last drive. If Asante Samuels holds onto that ball, Eli would have been the GOAT of the game!

derekunion28
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
remember we are in the media capitol of the world, for every negative we suck, we will be the worst team in the east ,there is another writer saying we are the best in the nfl , its the roll of the dice, and to each is own ......jmho

GIANTSED101
04-16-2010, 11:44 PM
I agree to some extent that the defense helped with the victory in the super bowl but seriously, you're really going to act like Eli had nothing to do with the win? So i guess we can pretty much say that Big Ben pretty much sucks @ss too and is way overated because the only reason why he has his rings is because of his defense also.

Chaosist
04-16-2010, 11:57 PM

</P>

He's just an anit-Eli troll. Pretty much every post he writes is how bad Eli is...</P>

"Man, our defense gave up 40 points, but that one bad pass that Eli threw is the reason we lost..."</P>

You'll learn to just skip over his posts.</P>

Chaosist
04-17-2010, 12:14 AM

</P>

MVP SuperBowl Winner. Denied perfection. Iron Man, plays through pain. High class , generous with His money ( Katrina, Birth Center ). His players believe in Him. What exactly do you expect Eli to do ? Win the SB every year ? Here's a clue for you. Rivers ( nothing ) Romo ( nothing ) McNabbnothing . Eli will win His next SB, before these guys win their first. </P>

All thanks to his defense! If not for our defense, the PATS would have been perfect! Eli almost threw the game away in that last drive. If Asante Samuels holds onto that ball, Eli would have been the GOAT of the game!
</P>

Yeah, and the defense let the Pats score immediately after Eli led us on a TD drive.</P>

And even if Asante comes down with that ball, his foot came down out of bounds... So guess what, not interception. </P>

Yeah, and I'm sure it's Eli's fault that our defense let the Eagles score as time expired in '06? Oh wait, he was the guy that led our team to tie the game with about 2 minutes left. And don't give me the, "Well, if he played better earlier, it wouldn't have mattered," song and dance. Eli, statistically, had a better day than the opposing QB, Jeff Garcia.</P>

Chaosist
04-17-2010, 12:16 AM
I agree to some extent that the defense helped with the victory in the super bowl but seriously, you're really going to act like Eli had nothing to do with the win? So i guess we can pretty much say that Big Ben pretty much sucks @ss too and is way overated because the only reason why he has his rings is because of his defense also.</P>

Hey, justa heads up... the "at" symbol followed by two "s'"s will probably get you a 7 day ban for avoiding the profanity filter.</P>

SweetJebus
04-17-2010, 02:52 AM

Because we're in the same division as the Cowboys, and more recently the Eagles. Two very popular teams to whom the "experts" always give the benefit of the doubt.

This is the reason. There is no conspiracy. I enjoy it this way, because when we win it all, it feels so much better!

T-Murda84
04-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Well who cares what ESPN thinks. Of course they would think that, after our team quit at the end of the year. Whether u win or lose...theres going too be haters. But maybe if the Giants can get back too winning superbowls, it wont bother us fans as much.

Die-Hard
04-17-2010, 03:18 PM

</p>

</p>

And MY damn opinion is your opinion makes you look stupid. Maybe posting your opinions on a public MB isn't for you if you're going to be so sensetive. Try Nick Jr.</p>

Now you're done

Come back again and your phone provider gets a phone call. Try it and see if I'm kidding