PDA

View Full Version : did you know that the 49ers and Alex Smith's

stormblue
01-10-2012, 07:17 AM
offense was as good as ELI's and the Giants' this year ?
all this talk of our prolific offense and being able to hang with best if we have to win a shootout......and i didn't know the 'niners were any good on offense.

we only scored 14 points more than the 49ers did this year. i was awestruck when i saw this.

and we gave up 171 points more than they did......yes that was 171 more.....not a misprint.

food for thought.

Captain Chaos
01-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Only worth thinking about if they get past the Saints, which I hope they do.

Second point they play in the west and didn't have near as difficult a schedule the Giant's had this year. (Seattle twice and St Louis twice...)

stormblue
01-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Only worth thinking about if they get past the Saints, which I hope they do.

Second point they play in the west and didn't have near as difficult a schedule the Giant's had this year. (Seattle twice and St Louis twice...)

you're right about their schedule....i had not taken that into account.
although we were on their schedule and did
not fair too well.

TheEnigma
01-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Just a thought here without actually researching but isn't it safe to assume that their offense gets a ton of help from their defense forcing the opposing offense off of the field early? I'd imagine they would get excellent field position.

dan1552
01-10-2012, 07:40 AM
they are coming out of the same division as the 7-9 seahawks with charlie white hursts playoff appearance of last year

jomo
01-10-2012, 07:47 AM
offense was as good as ELI's and the Giants' this year ? all this talk of our prolific offense and being able to hang with best if we have to win a shootout......and i didn't know the 'niners were any good on offense. we only scored 14 points more than the 49ers did this year. i was awestruck when i saw this. and we gave up 171 points more than they did......yes that was 171 more.....not a misprint. food for thought.You can make anything you'd like out of statistics, sometimes correct and sometimes misleading. Statisticians would tell you that a 16 game schedule provides no real base for analysis, only comparison. There are also so many variables in the NFL starting with injuries, the imbalanced schedule andcoaching philosophies to make any real sense of this. Look at your defensive comparison. Would even the casual fan say that our D is playing the<U> same</U> over the past 3 games as it did the balance of the season? Of course not.</P>

I would look at your numbers as "fun numbers" used for discussion and comment but not for any credible analysis.</P>

stormblue
01-10-2012, 08:04 AM
offense was as good as ELI's and the Giants' this year ? all this talk of our prolific offense and being able to hang with best if we have to win a shootout......and i didn't know the 'niners were any good on offense. we only scored 14 points more than the 49ers did this year. i was awestruck when i saw this. and we gave up 171 points more than they did......yes that was 171 more.....not a misprint. food for thought.You can make anything you'd like out of statistics, sometimes correct and sometimes misleading. Statisticians would tell you that a 16 game schedule provides no real base for analysis, only comparison. There are also so many variables in the NFL starting with injuries, the imbalanced schedule and*coaching philosophies to make any real sense of this. Look at your defensive comparison. Would even the casual fan say that our D is playing the<U> same</U> over the past 3 games as it did the balance of the season? Of course not.</P>

I would look at your numbers as "fun numbers" used for discussion and comment but not for any credible analysis.</P>

i'm just sayin' they scored as much as we did.
regardless of why.
i thought they were defense only.

Kruunch
01-10-2012, 08:13 AM
offense was as good as ELI's and the Giants' this year ? all this talk of our prolific offense and being able to hang with best if we have to win a shootout......and i didn't know the 'niners were any good on offense. we only scored 14 points more than the 49ers did this year. i was awestruck when i saw this. and we gave up 171 points more than they did......yes that was 171 more.....not a misprint. food for thought.You can make anything you'd like out of statistics, sometimes correct and sometimes misleading. Statisticians would tell you that a 16 game schedule provides no real base for analysis, only comparison. There are also so many variables in the NFL starting with injuries, the imbalanced schedule and*coaching philosophies to make any real sense of this. Look at your defensive comparison. Would even the casual fan say that our D is playing the<U> same</U> over the past 3 games as it did the balance of the season? Of course not.</P>

regardless of why.

Can't say "regardless of why". The 49ers play in the easiest division in football while the Giants had THE toughest schedule in football this year.

Bottom line ... when we faced them head to head at their house, we played them very close (and really let the win slip through our fingers ... literally).

We match up much better against the 49ers at San Fran then we do the Saints at the dome.

RagTime Blue
01-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Good thing we're not playing the '49rs this weekend.

stormblue
01-10-2012, 08:53 AM

regardless of why.

Can't say "regardless of why". The 49ers play in the easiest division in football while the Giants had THE toughest schedule in football this year.

Bottom line ... when we faced them head to head at their house, we played them very close (and really let the win slip through our fingers ... literally).

We match up much better against the 49ers at San Fran then we do the Saints at the dome.

that's a division that we played and only went 2 and 2
lucked out against ARIZ in the 4th qtr.
and only beat the rams by 12.
(everybody else beat's 'em by 20)

greenca190
01-10-2012, 09:04 AM
You can't count division rivalry games as "just another game" as well. Sure, the teams they went up against in the West this year didn't look too great at times, but neither did our divisional foes. What were we, 3-3 in the division?

GmenFan1980
01-10-2012, 09:05 AM

regardless of why.

that's a division that we played and only went 2 and 2
lucked out against ARIZ in the 4th qtr.
and only beat the rams by 12.
(everybody else beat's 'em by 20)

Rams beat the saints by 10 and the niners beat them only by 7 in the final match, but guess what? none of that really means anything at this point in time

GmenFan1980
01-10-2012, 09:07 AM
You can't count division rivalry games as "just another game" as well. Sure, the teams they went up against in the West this year didn't look too great at times, but neither did our divisional foes. What were we, 3-5 in the division?

3-5? that would be 8 divisional games lol. what did NFL decide to make us face the redskins two more times?

we were 3-3(Swept boys, split E-girls and got swept by deadskins)

MattMeyerBud
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
offense was as good as ELI's and the Giants' this year ?
all this talk of our prolific offense and being able to hang with best if we have to win a shootout......and i didn't know the 'niners were any good on offense.

we only scored 14 points more than the 49ers did this year. i was awestruck when i saw this.

and we gave up 171 points more than they did......yes that was 171 more.....not a misprint.

food for thought.

they were also 26th in yards vs our 8th in yards.

It has more to do wtih the defensive performances for the 9ers that kept them in great field position.

49ers offense is putrid. Their defense is what makes that team

lttaylor56
01-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Just a thought here without actually researching but isn't it safe to assume that their offense gets a ton of help from their defense forcing the opposing offense off of the field early? I'd imagine they would get excellent field position.Dude, that sigs just wrong....lmao.

Surprising stat on 49'ers. Im hoping their defense can stop Brees. I like the way NYG played San Fran on 11/13

TrueBlue@NYC
01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
offense was as good as ELI's and the Giants' this year ? all this talk of our prolific offense and being able to hang with best if we have to win a shootout......and i didn't know the 'niners were any good on offense. we only scored 14 points more than the 49ers did this year. i was awestruck when i saw this. and we gave up 171 points more than they did......yes that was 171 more.....not a misprint. food for thought.

they were also 26th in yards vs our 8th in yards.

It has more to do wtih the defensive performances for the 9ers that kept them in great field position.

49ers offense is putrid. Their defense is what makes that team
</P>

+1, you also have to go beyond total points scored and look at how much was scored by each respective defense. </P>

If the 49ers defense accounted for 21 or so of those points than that skews the stats as well,. One thing it does indicate is that their offense is pretty good at capitalizing when the defense gives them good field position. </P>