PDA

View Full Version : I think we get smacked in the mouth.

Itlan
01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Their coach's son just died? No way GB doesn't play inspired football. No way the crowd isn't going crazy. Things like this usually propel a team into dangerous territory, and they just come out and destroy the other team.

I could be wrong, and I ****ing hope so. Perhaps they come out flat following such a tragedy and we pull it out. I don't know, but now this team has something else to play for... and they're the best team in the league. This could get ugly folks.

GO BLUE!

RonJon
01-10-2012, 10:24 AM
No doubt Packers will be playing with heavy hearts, but Giants will be playing with great chip on theri shoulders as well. Either way its gonna be a very close game

XxBigWhitxX
01-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Their coach's son just died? No way GB doesn't play inspired football. No way the crowd isn't going crazy. Things like this usually propel a team into dangerous territory, and they just come out and destroy the other team.

I could be wrong, and I ****ing hope so. Perhaps they come out flat following such a tragedy and we pull it out. I don't know, but now this team has something else to play for... and they're the best team in the league. This could get ugly folks.

GO BLUE!it's about to get ugly for YOU my friend. I understand your point but now your gonna get RIPPED for mentioning the Packers playing hard due to the death.

repeatchamps
01-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Their coach's son just died? No way GB doesn't play inspired football. No way the crowd isn't going crazy. Things like this usually propel a team into dangerous territory, and they just come out and destroy the other team. I could be wrong, and I ****ing hope so. Perhaps they come out flat following such a tragedy and we pull it out. I don't know, but now this team has something else to play for... and they're the best team in the league. This could get ugly folks. GO BLUE!</P>

If they need to use this tragedy as motivation they were in trouble from the get go and it may do more harm than good. They can be motivated for their coach all they like but nothing changes the fact that they are one of the worst defensive teams in the NFL. Talent just doesn't improve because an assistant coach had a personal tragedy. It could be a factor for sure but at the end of the day it is about 11 on 11 and who plays the best football.</P>

If they use that terrible tragedy as motivation well that's pretty tasteless.</P>

lttaylor56
01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
My most sincerest condolences go out to the Philbin family at this time. Their family and loved one's should remain the utmost priority at this time.

However, this could very well have an impact on the Packer's Sunday. Remember when Brett Favre had a death in the family before a Monday night game he played in? He was Epic.

Very sad conditions to have related to our game.

Spizi
01-10-2012, 10:52 AM

GO BLUE!

This will not affect the game at all. If anything the packers will be negatively affected in the preparation department. This is the playoffs, the chance you've been waiting for your whole life, both teams will come inspired. I've had enough of this nonsense.

Spizi
01-10-2012, 10:54 AM
My most sincerest condolences go out to the Philbin family at this time. Their family and loved one's should remain the utmost priority at this time.

However, this could very well have an impact on the Packer's Sunday. Remember when Brett Favre had a death in the family before a Monday night game he played in? He was Epic.

Ok that's Favre... a freaking player!! What is their offensive coordinator going to coach better?! You people are ridiculous.

rcrane082985
01-10-2012, 10:58 AM
WE might be the best team in the league.

Itlan
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Ok that's Favre... a freaking player!! What is their offensive coordinator going to coach better?! You people are ridiculous.It's not about coaching. This is someone they love and adore, and he just lost probably the most important person in his life and has taken a leave of absence. That wouldn't inspire you to play out of your mind to win that game for him? Clearly you've never played a sport. Stick to the cheetos.

Rudyy
01-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Ok that's Favre... a freaking player!! What is their offensive coordinator going to coach better?! You people are ridiculous.It's not about coaching. This is someone they love and adore, and he just lost probably the most important person in his life and has taken a leave of absence. That wouldn't inspire you to play out of your mind to win that game for him? Clearly you've never played a sport. Stick to the cheetos. Ok, but neither you nor anybody else knows how this affects the outcome of the game. So for you to just say oh we are going to get smacked in the mouth is nonsense.

Firenugget
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I dunno about all that. Personally if it's my son that died, I'm not calling plays at a freakin football game. Sorry, not happening, I'm burying my son. If that's the case (which I'd say something is jacked if it's not) I don't see how that's not a disadvantage for the team.

Either way I really don't think it's really nice to get into someone's death as a factor in a football game. Sooo yeah I'm just gonna leave this one alone.

burier
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
There's no magic bean you can take to make yourself a better football player.

Nothing matters but what happens between the lines. I don't believe the Packers are physically capable of running us out of there at this point and so it won't happen regardless of how thin the ice was.

The best team will win.

CDN_G-FAN
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Their coach's son just died? No way GB doesn't play inspired football. No way the crowd isn't going crazy. Things like this usually propel a team into dangerous territory, and they just come out and destroy the other team. I could be wrong, and I ****ing hope so. Perhaps they come out flat following such a tragedy and we pull it out. I don't know, but now this team has something else to play for... and they're the best team in the league. This could get ugly folks. GO BLUE!</P>

its entirely possible we get smacked in the mouth in this game.</P>

but unlike a month ago, it now only a possiblity instead of a certainty.</P>

Harooni
01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
. We got swept by the skins. We may win vs teams we should on paper loss to but we aren't the best team in the NFL.

That said you don't have to be the best team just some luck and getting hot at the right time can work.

burier
01-10-2012, 01:00 PM
. We got swept by the skins. We may win vs teams we should on paper loss to but we aren't the best team in the NFL.

That said you don't have to be the best team just some luck and getting hot at the right time can work.

baring some sort of fix by the QB or Refs you most certainly do have to be the best team.

There's no getting hot in football.

stormblue
01-10-2012, 01:02 PM

gigantic big ups !!! ^^^

jhamburg
01-10-2012, 01:04 PM

baring some sort of fix by the QB or Refs you most certainly do have to be the best team.

There's no getting hot in football? Couldn't disagree more. A team gets hot in the playoffs almost every year.

Denaliman316
01-10-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't know. This may be another Tony Dungy situation. Remember back in 2005 when Dungys son committed suicide? The Colts came out flat and that was with Peyton Manning at the helm.

I cannot imagine how hard it's going to be to bury his own son. It's a game and no matter what this a distraction. It's their offensive coordinator. Our star WR shot himself in the leg and we fell apart.

Henry for the Bengals, Bengals lost.

Let's not forget they've had a long time off and defending SB champs with a bye statistically don't fare well. Look at the Steelers, Colts, us, Steelers again.

Anything can happen but no matter how you look at it, at the end of the day it's just a game. My deepest condolences to him and his family.

stormblue
01-10-2012, 01:07 PM
"I think we get smacked in the mouth."

nope ; just you should get smacked in the mouth. for starting this thread

WORLDCHAMPS
01-10-2012, 01:11 PM

GO BLUE!

you are a spineless worm. its also called a distraction. Either way, the death of the offensive coordinators son doesn't make them any better or super human. Its about FOOTBALL. have some faith and don't be a scared lil *****

Mod_C
01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Their coach's son just died? No way GB doesn't play inspired football. No way the crowd isn't going crazy. <font color="#0000FF">Things like this usually propel a team </font>into dangerous territory, and they just come out and destroy the other team.

GO BLUE!

Sort of like blanking out an offense in a playoff game?

GameTime
01-10-2012, 01:17 PM
the Giants winning or losing will have nothing to do with the OC's son passing away. </P>

I wish this topic, out of respect, would just getdeleted fromthe boards. .</P>

</P>

WORLDCHAMPS
01-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Their coach's son just died? No way GB doesn't play inspired football. No way the crowd isn't going crazy. <font color="#0000FF">Things like this usually propel a team </font>into dangerous territory, and they just come out and destroy the other team.

GO BLUE!

Sort of like blanking out an offense in a playoff game?

NO ...EXACTLY like blanking out a team in the playoffs. I seriously think we can win this game no matter who dies, lives, shoots sparks outta their bum, etc. My condolences to the family, but personally i think this is more of a distraction than some incident to make the pack any better than they already are. They are a great team. We are playin ball. Its gunna be a battle fo sho!!! GO GIANTS!!!!

gmoney11
01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
BUT now unlike a month ago, WE SMACK RIGHT BACK!

SIMMS5611
01-10-2012, 02:10 PM
As per the OC's son...</P>

I think maybe they'll have a prayer, etc beforehand, &amp; post game, players will take a kneee, and pray again, regardless of victor or loser.</P>

No one in GB is gonna diminish this man's loss by saying let's win this one for Coach, just as no one in NY would suggest that GB is probably emotionally vulnerable, because of this awful occurence.</P>

Sure it's a big game, and it's big for the NFL, &amp; TV, as well as the players &amp; fans, but to Philbin Sr, I just can't imagine he feels the same, in the grand scope of things now, and I'm sure whatever the outcome of Sundays game, it will be of little, or no, comfort to him what-so-ever.</P>

My condolences to him, &amp; his family.</P>

Firenugget
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Maybe they'll try and smack us in the butt instead?

CTLadyBlue
01-10-2012, 02:14 PM

There's no getting hot in football? Couldn't disagree more. A team gets hot in the playoffs almost every year.

Worked for us back in '07. Oh wait....we're not supposed to compare. My bad.

So....let me get another thing straight. If GB wins it's because they were 'inspired' by tragedy. If NY wins, it's because GB was 'distracted' by tragedy. The fact that such a devestating tragedy even has to be taken into consideration as a possible tangible is dispicable.

GB doesn't need anything, good or bad, to fire them up. But I hope resting on their laurels the last two weeks don't cause them to come out flat. Remember what momentum did for us back in '07 (yeah, bringing it up again - so what) for the Cowboy game. Romo was off in Cabo while we were beating the tar out of the Bucs. Went into Texas Stadium the following week and knocked out the #1 seed.

Again, comparisons are just for fun, but.....anything can happen

G-Man67
01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
i don't think we should even be talking about that horrible situation other than to say we are praying for them

burier
01-10-2012, 02:43 PM

So by getting hot do you mean a team plays better?

I think when a single elimination tourney starts a team rises to the top. What is spun as "getting hot" is really just you or I or the talking heads inability to accurately predict who will win on a given sunday.

I hate this hot thing as I am almost certain it was invented after we won the SB as a way to downplay what we accomplished.

Have you ever played football?
Have you ever been in a fist fight?

If you have you know you either whip the guy right in front of you or you don't.

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

Providence
01-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I dunno about all that. Personally if it's my son that died, I'm not calling plays at a freakin football game. Sorry, not happening, I'm burying my son. If that's the case (which I'd say something is jacked if it's not) I don't see how that's not a disadvantage for the team.

Either way I really don't think it's really nice to get into someone's death as a factor in a football game. Sooo yeah I'm just gonna leave this one alone.

Agree with every line.

jhamburg
01-10-2012, 02:46 PM

I think when a single elimination tourney starts a team rises to the top. What is spun as "getting hot" is really just you or I or the talking heads inability to accurately predict who will win on a given sunday.

I hate this hot thing as I am almost certain it was invented after we won the SB as a way to downplay what we accomplished.

If you have you know you either whip the guy right in front of you or you don't.

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

So...we're not a better team last sunday than we were against the seahawks and redskins?

burier
01-10-2012, 02:51 PM

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

So...we're not a better team last sunday than we were against the seahawks and redskins?

Exactly my point. "We are better".

When the clock went to all zeros sunday we had more points on the board than the Falcons because we were the better team.

Not because of some magic heat that was bestowed upon us by the football gods.

You can break down the stats and analyze stats forever leading up to the game but there is but one way to know who the better team is, and that's on the field of play.

jhamburg
01-10-2012, 02:55 PM

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

When the clock went to all zeros sunday we had more points on the board than the Falcons because we were the better team.

You can break down the stats and analyze stats forever leading up to the game but there is but one way to know who the better team is, and that's on the field of play.

Ok but you realize that's what people mean when they say a team gets hot right? It's not "magic", its that you were playing poor before and now you're playing better.

burier
01-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

Ok but you realize that's what people mean when they say a team gets hot right? It's not "magic", its that you were playing poor before and now you're playing better.

No I hear you. I mean if you wanna say the Defense is hot because they're playing better fine I'd agree but.

Certainly in the case of our SB run the term hot was used as a way to explain why an inferior team defeated a superior team which is my beef with the term.

To be clear. We beat the Patriots because we were better than them.

Defcon4
01-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Whether or not the Packers tradgedies have any bearing on the game is a consideration but a smaller one than most. This team more than others is a true professional sports team. The SB champion always knows how to play through distractions and stay focused on football. They proved it last year. This thread is focusing on the wrong issue IMO.

The real issue is the Packers played an absolutely awful game last time and still won by 3 points. I don't expect to see the same type of performance in the playoffs. As good as we played in the first game we'll need to play better next week. In the past 3 weeks we have been playing at a high level. If we give the effort we gave versus Atlanta we can play with anybody, NO included. We ARE that good!

jhamburg
01-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

No I hear you. I mean if you wanna say the Defense is hot because they're playing better fine I'd agree but.

Certainly in the case of our SB run the term hot was used as a way to explain why an inferior team defeated a superior team which is my beef with the term.

But you realize that there's a difference between being the better team that day and being the better team in general. Obviously the former is what really matters.

burier
01-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

But you realize that there's a difference between being the better team that day and being the better team in general. Obviously the former is what really matters.

Umm perhaps.

I'm more apt to buy that "any given sunday" line in the regular season. I mean The Giants are evidence to the fact that during the regular season you're not guaranteed to get a team very best effort. But in the superbowl...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Pats team could not have generally played better than they did that night.

Its a funny concept though because on a given sunday you can test which team is better. Just line em up and play. But right now there's really no test to show who the better team is general. The better team in general is a matter of opinion.

jhamburg
01-10-2012, 03:10 PM

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

Umm perhaps.

I'm more apt to buy that "any given sunday" line in the regular season. I mean The Giants are evidence to the fact that during the regular season you're not guaranteed to get a team very best effort. But in the superbowl...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Pats team could not have generally played better than they did that night.

Its a funny concept though because on a given sunday you can test which team is better. Just line em up and play. But right now there's really no test to show who the better team is general. The better team in general is a matter of opinion.

So you think if we played that game 10 times the giants win 10 times? I love the '07 team but that's pretty bold.

Morehead State
01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
This thread is ghoulish.</P>

The OP should be ashamed of himself. Trying to evaluate the impact of a coach losing his son on the result of a football game?</P>

Horrible.</P>

jhamburg
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM

The OP should be ashamed of himself.*** Trying to evaluate the impact of a coach losing his son on the result of a football game?</P>

Horrible.</P>

I'm not sure I understand how it could ever be wrong to 'evaluate' something...

burier
01-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

Umm perhaps.

So you think if we played that game 10 times the giants win 10 times? I love the '07 team but that's pretty bold.

I think if we played 10 times and remained healthy throughout the series we would have won 6 times.

Morehead State
01-10-2012, 03:19 PM

The OP should be ashamed of himself. Trying to evaluate the impact of a coach losing his son on the result of a football game?</P>

Horrible.</P>

I'm not sure I understand how it could ever be wrong to 'evaluate' something...</P>

In this case, how on earth can't you understand it? The man's son died. They dragged him out of the river. That is a tradgedy beyond comprehesion. And we are "factoring" that into our chances on Sunday.</P>

Its troubling that you can't understand that.</P>

G-Man67
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

all players in all sports talk about being in a zone and it is no different in football

and players feed off of each other and you get that attitude going of not wanting to let your team down

and it's a competitive thing as well ... if Tuck sees JPP and Osi getting sacks, he wants his and Canty wants his and Tolly wants his

so i think getting hot is a more than fair term to describe a team playing well over a stretch of games

and finally there is such a fine line between playing well and playing average ... it's such a game of inches that slight improvements can make big impacts

jhamburg
01-10-2012, 03:22 PM

The OP should be ashamed of himself.*** Trying to evaluate the impact of a coach losing his son on the result of a football game?</P>

Horrible.</P>

I'm not sure I understand how it could ever be wrong to 'evaluate' something...</P>

In this case, how on earth can't you understand it?* The man's son died.* They dragged him out of the river.* That is a tradgedy beyond comprehesion.* And we are "factoring" that into our chances on Sunday.</P>

I'd agree that starting a thread about it was in poor taste, but I don't like the idea that we shouldn't be allowed to think about something.

jhamburg
01-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Horrible.</P>

In this case, how on earth can't you understand it?* The man's son died.* They dragged him out of the river.* That is a tradgedy beyond comprehesion.* And we are "factoring" that into our chances on Sunday.</P>

I'd agree that starting a thread about it was in poor taste, but I don't like the idea that we shouldn't be allowed to think about something.

Redeyejedi
01-10-2012, 03:24 PM

He doesnt call the plays Mccarthy does

Morehead State
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM

Horrible.</P>

In this case, how on earth can't you understand it? The man's son died. They dragged him out of the river. That is a tradgedy beyond comprehesion. And we are "factoring" that into our chances on Sunday.</P>

I'd agree that starting a thread about it was in poor taste, but I don't like the idea that we shouldn't be allowed to think about something.</P>

My point exactly. We can't control what we think about. But to openly start a thread is (in my opinion) way over the line.</P>

Redeyejedi
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM

Horrible.</P>Its kind of Fd up

burier
01-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Edit: I just wanted to add that when it comes to the run in 07 the tone was definately that we got "Hot" IE lucky...IE some magical force helped us win...in fact that term "Magical run" is used to describe those playoffs to this day.

I find it funny how sensative some of us are to Troy Aikman and Joe Buck based on their tone of voice but we don't seem to see that the NFL pundits really haven't given us our due for winning the SB that year.

Jump shooters get hot.

Football players do not.

all players in all sports talk about being in a zone and it is no different in football

and players feed off of each other and you get that attitude going of not wanting to let your team down

and it's a competitive thing as well ... if Tuck sees JPP and Osi getting sacks, he wants his and Canty wants his and Tolly wants his

so i think getting hot is a more than fair term to describe a team playing well over a stretch of games

and finally there is such a fine line between playing well and playing average ... it's such a game of inches that slight improvements can make big impacts

As far as The Zone goes...Mean Joe Green Said it best:

"I'm sick of all these kids talking about being in the zone. I played for 15 years and I was in The Zone once."

I definately believe there's a zone but I think it's far more scarce then we're led to believe.

other than that I more or less agree with you. My problem is that if players are feeding off of eachother and playing well enough to win the superbowl then that team should be praised at the supreme team in football rather than a team that got lucky.

That's really all I'm saying.

lttaylor56
01-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Whether or not the Packers tradgedies have any bearing on the game is a consideration but a smaller one than most. This team more than others is a true professional sports team. The SB champion always knows how to play through distractions and stay focused on football. They proved it last year. This thread is focusing on the wrong issue IMO.

The real issue is the Packers played an absolutely awful game last time and still won by 3 points. I don't expect to see the same type of performance in the playoffs. As good as we played in the first game we'll need to play better next week. In the past 3 weeks we have been playing at a high level. If we give the effort we gave versus Atlanta we can play with anybody, NO included. We ARE that good!Well said. If San Fran cannot beat NO, I would very much enjoy watching NYG play d like last week v.s. Brees and the Saints.

B&RWarrior
01-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Horrible.</P>

Teams usually rally together when a team member experiences personal tradgedy. This is a regular occurence in sports. In times where a team member, coach, trainer, or loved one, has been struck with personal tradgedy the team usually rally's around that person in a show of unity and support. Teams in this situaiton tend to be more focused and less prone to making mental errors. The personal tradgedy dials up their focus.

Due to the commonness of this kind of occurence I don't see anything egregiously immoral about the thread.

I say their focus is going to be increased signifigantly anyway b/c it's the playoffs. No matter how you look at it expect GB to play better than they did the first time.

Roosevelt
01-10-2012, 04:01 PM

GO BLUE!

That truly sucks what happened to that family, but we can't change what happened.

Our players have risen up and made this season something special. I don't think we can ask for anything more. I'm confident they will give it their best shot and if we fall short, we fall short.

I predicted an 8-8 and playoff-less season. So, I'm very happy no matter what.

Back in 1984 &amp; 1985 we lost to the eventual SB Champions. There's no shame in that as well.

GameTime
01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Their coach's son just died? No way GB doesn't play inspired football. No way the crowd isn't going crazy. Things like this usually propel a team into dangerous territory, and they just come out and destroy the other team. I could be wrong, and I ****ing hope so. Perhaps they come out flat following such a tragedy and we pull it out. I don't know, but now this team has something else to play for... and they're the best team in the league. This could get ugly folks. GO BLUE!

That truly sucks what happened to that family, but we can't change what happened.

Our players have risen up and made this season something special. I don't think we can ask for anything more. I'm confident they will give it their best shot and if we fall short, we fall short.

I predicted an 8-8 and playoff-less season. <FONT color=#000080 size=4>So, I'm very happy no matter what.
</FONT>
Back in 1984 &amp; 1985 we lost to the eventual SB Champions. There's no shame in that as well.

</P>

unless Eli blows the game then you can say...</P>

AHHHH HAAAA!!!!!!...Told you so !!!!!!.......[:(]</P>

just goofing......</P>

G-Man67
01-10-2012, 04:15 PM
My problem is that if players are feeding off of eachother and playing well enough to win the superbowl then that team should be praised at the supreme team in football rather than a team that got lucky.

oh very true, GB got "hot" last year at the right time, just as we did in '07 and, right, you def. hear lucky attached to our victory far more than GBs ... well and, hey, it's time to remind the football world that getting "hot" at the right time still trumps trumps 18-0 and 15-1

BlueReign
01-10-2012, 04:17 PM
It's going to be a very close and moderate scoring game.

JMFP2
01-10-2012, 04:17 PM

Horrible.</P>Its kind of Fd up

Agreed....we've already had 2 threads about this topic get deleted.

When it comes to someone dying, either offer condolences or remain silent.

JJC7301
01-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I really feel for that family and the Pack probably will be playing with even more emotion, but I think the Giants are coming together at the right time and will win this game.