PDA

View Full Version : Strick's Offseason Mock 5.0

NYGfanSTRICK
02-06-2014, 04:31 PM
1st round- C.J Mosley LB Alabama- OLB is a big concern and I think that this COULD be the year they address it early on. I like Mosley a lot. Anyone who is getting comparisons to Lavonte David is good for me

STRENGTHS: Mosley does a nice job using his length and lower body fluidity to keep himself clean through a crowd and finishes at the ball, wrapping and driving through his target. He is very smart and keeps his eyes on the ball to track and attack and rarely makes mental mistakes, which is a result of his high football IQ and preparation skills.

WEAKNESSES: Isn't always fundamentally consistent as a tackler, at times opting to throw himself at his target or drop his head on contact. Missed time in 2011 with a dislocated elbow.

COMPARES TO: Lavonte David, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Like David, Mosley's combination of toughness, elite instincts and superb athleticism offer the versatility of lining up inside or out, and have enabled him to be one of the nation's top all-around linebackers.
--Ron Rang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoep15cF_aU

2nd round- Jarvis Landry WR LSU- I am a big fan of his and I think he would be a good fit in this offense. He could be on the outside with former LSU Tiger Randle as well. He makes some catches that are really amazing

STRENGTHS: Solidly-built frame with above average toughness and body strength. Good build-up speed with smooth quickness and body control. Strong cuts and controlled momentum down the field - very good catch-and-go receiver. Good depth and lean in his routes and won't slow down in his breaks - good patience and plays off defenders to create some room to work.

Above average hands-catcher with quick reflexes and ball skills to pluck fastballs away from his body. Strong hands and very good in contested situations - uses his body and arms to out-muscle defenders. Excellent hand-eye coordination. Nice job catching the ball in stride with a little wiggle after the catch - deceiving moves, balance and toughness and not an easy guy to tackle. Fearless and resilient pass-catcher over the middle and in traffic - very determined. Always looking for someone to block. Led LSU in catches and receiving scores the past two seasons. Good special teams coverage experience.

WEAKNESSES: Good size and speed, but limited in both areas. Only average height and length for the position. Takes a few moments to get up to his top-end speed and can be slowed in his routes by physical defenders - will struggle at times vs. press. Not naturally explosive and takes a few moments to gear down - doesn't show the burst to consistently separate with his quickness. Will get his feet tied up at times in his patterns and has room to tighten his footwork. Strong hands, but he'll have his share of focus drops.

COMPARES TO: Eric Decker, Denver Broncos - Landry is more reliable with his hands and isn't quite as tall, but he projects similar to Decker with their movements, body control and toughness after the catch.
--Dane Brugler (1/8/14)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJ0EwNclSM

3rd round- E.J Gaines CB Missouri- He is probably my favorite CB after the 2nd round (Jean-Baptiste will not be here I will almost guarantee it after the Super Bowl). He has very good coverage skills. He held Mike Evans to 8 yards! I have seen him miss a few tackles but in his bowl game he made some nice tackles and added an INT. Two of the biggest knocks on him are that he isn't the greatest tackler and he doesn't turn many of his deflections into INT's

STRENGTHS: Gaines sports a well-defined build for the position. The combination of his broad-shouldered, long-armed frame and very good overall athleticism makes him a tough draw for any pass-catcher. Has alternately lined up in press or off-man on most snaps, showing the fluid hips to turn and run with receivers, as well as very good lateral agility and balance and speed to burn. He anticipates routes well, under-cutting receivers to remain between them and the quarterback and has quick, active hands. Gaines is a reliable open-field tackler. Gaines' ability to avoid blockers and wrap securely make him a frequent blitz threat off the edge.

WEAKNESSES: Gaines is a classic grab and drag tackler, only occasionally dropping his shoulder to provide an impactful hit. Scouts would like to see him turn more of his many career passes broken up into interceptions. More of a hitter than a tackler at times, and needs to avoid dropping his head on contact.
--ROB RANG

4th round- C.J Fiedorowicz TE Iowa- I am a big fan of Fiedorowicz. He is a huge guy and is a really good blocker. He has nice hands for a guy his size. He won't be the game changer that Amaro or Ebron could be but he is a solid TE who could play here for years. I think this COULD be the year that we find a TE that stays here for a while instead of FA patch TE's each year

STRENGTHS: Good versatility, showing the ability to come off a down block to get past defenders as a receiver. Good body control and soft hands for such a large man, traits that have led Washington junior Austin Seferian-Jenkins to earn a lot of attention as a possible first-round pick. Fiedorowicz isn't as flashy as ASJ, but he's just as big and fast in a straight-line and is a much more physical and attentive blocker.
--Dane Brugle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1N65H9w-XM

5th round- James White RB Wisconsin- He is an all around RB. He is pretty small in size but is tough as hell. He was the best pass blocking RB at the Senior Bowl. He never really got a shot to be the go to guy at Wisconsin playing with guys like Monte Ball and Melvin Gordon but White is very solid. He breaks a lot of tackles for a guy his size. He can catch pretty well out of the backfield as well. Coughlin usually doesn't like playing rookie RB's because of their pass protection but he wouldn't have to worry about that with White

STRENGTHS: Vision, agility, burst and surprising power. Gets to the second level quickly, and has better power than his size suggests because he keeps his legs churning and upper body squirming as he's being tackled. Attentive and competitive pass blocker. Good hands to reel in off-target throws and make defenders miss.

WEAKNESSES: Obviously smaller than scouts would prefer.
--Rob Rang

6th round- Aaron Lynch DE South Florida- It is late in the draft and I would not mind taking a flyer on someone like Lynch who could be an absolute steal if he gets his **** together. He was a monster at Norte Dame. I think if he could get in a good locker room like the Giants he could start to get back to his Norte Dame form of a football player. Low risk with a potential high reward

POSITIVES: A freakish athlete with a rare combination of size, speed and length, Lynch explodes off the ball with an impressive first step, exhibits powerful hands to clear a path and closes with elite burst. At 6-6 and just under 250 pounds (was once around 260 while at Notre Dame), Lynch has room to add mass without losing a step, and offers the versatility of lining up at either end, or even along the interior on passing downs. When the motor is running, Lynch has appeared unstoppable at times. Has everything you look for in an NFL end, in terms of physical gifts.

NEGATIVES: Lynch's technique and effort have digressed immensely from the guy we saw two years ago at Notre Dame, and as a result he was extremely inconsistent in his lone season at South Florida. Questions abound as to whether or not he has the attitude, team-first mentality and dedication required to succeed at the next level. Does not play to the whistle, and often cuts his pursuit short when a play is moving away from him.

COMPARES TO: Quinton Coples, DE, New York Jets - It's hard to find an NFL comp for a guy who possesses physical tools that most players would only dream of having, yet doesn't appear to be very motivated to maximize them. The reason it's hard to find a comp for such a player is because most of those guys either never make it, or simply don't last long at the next level.

One player who may be considered a success story to some extent, however, is Coples, who, like Lynch, entered the league amidst great skepticism regarding his chances of being an NFL success, due to a lack of consistent interest and effort on tape despite possessing freakish physical tools. Coples has amassed 10 sacks as a 3-4 end over his first two years in the NFL, and is beginning to show flashes of the player many scouts knew he had the potential to be. Lynch has similar upside, but the team that picks him will certainly be taking a gamble.
--Derek Stephens (2/4/14)

*Before anyone bashes it for not having any OL I am only doing this with the assumption that we fix the OL in Free Agency

NYGfanSTRICK
02-06-2014, 05:49 PM
James White Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_VvVhQrGc

Carter.525
02-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Don't know much about Landry.. I got some studying to do..

Mosley, Fiedorowicz and Gaines are all money.. Lynch makes sense in the 6th.. Boom or bust

Like you said.. O-line would have to addressed in FA for a draft like this..

I am a fan

Carter.525
02-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Fiedorowicz is the kind of blue collar TE this team needs.. I also like Arthur Lynch from Georgia

NYGfanSTRICK
02-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Don't know much about Landry.. I got some studying to do..

Mosley, Fiedorowicz and Gaines are all money.. Lynch makes sense in the 6th.. Boom or bust

Like you said.. O-line would have to addressed in FA for a draft like this..

I am a fan

Thanks man, Landry is a beast. His tape is pretty damn impressive. I honestly feel like he could play a Nicks like role. Being compared to Decker isn't a bad thing at all. He makes some crazy catches and can make moves after catching the ball that can create big plays which you can get a decent idea for it in the highlight. He is a pretty complete WR.

As for Fiedorowicz.. I agree completely that he could be just what we need at TE. I also like Lynch at TE. He really impressed me when I went over his stuff again.

Aaron Lynch in the 6th is a pretty nice pick because the potential steal that the Giants could be getting. Imagine if he panned out well... JPP, Damonster, and Lynch all at DE. That could be nasty

GOBLUE24
02-07-2014, 10:43 AM
I like the draft alot and think the oline issue should be fixed in free agency. Im a big fan of Mosley and Cj for the Giants. The Lb position needs to be addressed as its been mediocre at best over the last 10 years. In Cj is there a better fit than him with the Giants in this draft. A huge target (plus w Eli) with solid hands, a plus blocker, and a great red zone target with size and hands. White is a scrappy Rb who could thrive in new OC sytstem. Landry if you could switch with Adams I would love this draft. Really solid draft and would be more than happy with this.

NYGfanSTRICK
02-07-2014, 12:12 PM
I like the draft alot and think the oline issue should be fixed in free agency. Im a big fan of Mosley and Cj for the Giants. The Lb position needs to be addressed as its been mediocre at best over the last 10 years. In Cj is there a better fit than him with the Giants in this draft. A huge target (plus w Eli) with solid hands, a plus blocker, and a great red zone target with size and hands. White is a scrappy Rb who could thrive in new OC sytstem. Landry if you could switch with Adams I would love this draft. Really solid draft and would be more than happy with this.

I am a big Adams fan but was mixing it up a bit. I typically go Adams in the 2nd or Paul Richardson in the 3rd if I am doing a mock.

Thanks man I appreciate though