PDA

View Full Version : Giants Mock Draft 2/11/2014 BBBU Rounds 1-3

BigBlueBeatsU
02-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Player Analysis from CBS SPORTS , Rob Rang *
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Round 1-Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State

STRENGTHS: A standout over his career as a corner and returner due to his agility, acceleration and ball-skills. Gilbert's ability with the ball in his hands is among his greatest assets. He's taken five kickoffs back for scores over his career.

WEAKNESSES: While terrifically athletic, Gilbert remains a bit lax in his technique.

--Rob Rang
I like this pick because a good secondary gives your pass rushers more time , he will pair good with Prince Amukamara, and I think our safeties are the deepest position we have currently. Referring to the prospect though, he is a tremendous athlete who will become so much better once the technique develops. Great Upside.

Round 2-Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State

STRENGTHS: Special athlete with explosive feet and natural burst - springs in his legs. Fluid body control with excellent start/stop moves, open-field vision and patient hesitation to elude defenders - joystick moves with loose hips and joints. Beautiful acceleration with speed to burn - electric after the catch.
Quick hands to adjust and pluck with very good coordination to look the ball into his mitts. Quick footwork to set up his routes and fool defenders - has worked hard to fine-tune this area. Works hard to max out his frame.

Strong football character. Tough individual - has never missed a game at any level. Experience on special teams as a return man - became full-time punt returner in 2013 (6.0 average). Very productive and 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner as nation's top receiver - set Oregon State and Pac-12 records for catches (128) and receiving yards (1,730), also setting new school record for touchdown catches (24).

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size with below average height and length for the position. Limited strength, muscle and overall growth potential. Struggles with physical defenders and doesn't have ideal body strength - will be overwhelmed in man coverage. Looks to avoid contact and would much rather escape out of bounds or go around defenses. Needs to secure the ball through the process to eliminate drops and fumbles. Smallish target for quarterbacks.

I think he would fit our new west coast based scheme that is quick paced. WE also get a returner who can take it to the house any return. Had receiving 1670 yards during the regular season.

Round 3-Carl Bradford OLb Arizona State

STRENGTHS: Sports a compact, powerful frame. Highly instinctive, physical and versatile defender who splits his time between defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker. Good initial quickness off the snap out of the three-point stance, showing enough speed to cross the face of the offensive tackle, as well as an effective club, rip and spin moves to break free.
Surprisingly effective when run at due to his quickness and use of leverage, bending to take out the knees of oncoming blockers and creating a pile. Adept at slipping blocks. Locates the football quickly and shows an explosive burst to close emphatically. Only occasionally asked to drop back into coverage but shows at least fair fluidity and speed when doing so.

Alert player with a history of making big plays. More than the sum of his parts. Good special teams performer who often served as the personal protector in the punting game.

WEAKNESSES: Will be viewed by some as a classic 'tweener. Plays in a highly aggressive scheme that may maximize his big play ability while minimizing his faults. Size, athleticism and instincts project him best to inside linebacker in the NFL - a position he only occasionally played for ASU.

IM not going past the 3rd round till the combine

Redeyejedi
02-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Anyone that follows me on Twitter would know how much I love Brandin Cooks. Glad to see him get the recognition he deserves such a dynamic player. I actually like Carl Bradford quite a lot. He mostly played with his hand down and while he has shown the ability to play in space for the most part he has played near the line. Even at only 6'0 he has shown the ability to be able to stack and shed against Tackles. As a pass rusher he does a good job transferring speed to power and also has a variety of counter moves.

G-FanFromDurham
02-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Anyone that follows me on Twitter would know how much I love Brandin Cooks. Glad to see him get the recognition he deserves such a dynamic player. I actually like Carl Bradford quite a lot. He mostly played with his hand down and while he has shown the ability to play in space for the most part he has played near the line. Even at only 6'0 he has shown the ability to be able to stack and shed against Tackles. As a pass rusher he does a good job transferring speed to power and also has a variety of counter moves.

I think Brandon Cooks will be picked by the Jets or Panthers

titwio
02-14-2014, 10:39 PM
Brandin Cooks reminds me of Victor Cruz. As much as I like him, I don't think he'd compliment the corps well. Especially with them working Jernigan (another slot type receiver) into the fold as well. It's a deep WR class and there's a lot of other wide-outs I'd like better for the Giants.

NYGfanSTRICK
02-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Brandin Cooks reminds me of Victor Cruz. As much as I like him, I don't think he'd compliment the corps well. Especially with them working Jernigan (another slot type receiver) into the fold as well. It's a deep WR class and there's a lot of other wide-outs I'd like better for the Giants.

+1.. good WR but not a fit for this team IMO. Guys I think would fit nicely are Benjamin, Adams, Landry, Richardson, Allen Robinson, Matthews, Abberderis, Moncrief, Latimer... etc. There is a ton of guys I like at the WR position

EDIT: Fixed typo that was censored lol

Carter.525
02-14-2014, 11:08 PM
+1.. good WR but not a **** for this team IMO. Guys I think would fit nicely are Benjamin, Adams, Landry, Richardson, Allen Robinson, Matthews, Abberderis, Moncrief, Latimer... etc. There is a ton of guys I like at the WR position

I agree with this, but I do like Cooks..

NYGfanSTRICK
02-14-2014, 11:11 PM
I agree with this, but I do like Cooks..

Yeah same here man.

I am not sure what I typed that got censored... Must have been a typo or something hahaha... Cooks would be awesome on a team like Cinci or Detroit. Have him go underneath while Green or Megatron do their thing. We need another outside WR so we can let JJ and Cruz kill it over the middle!

titwio
02-14-2014, 11:12 PM
+1.. good WR but not a **** for this team IMO. Guys I think would fit nicely are Benjamin, Adams, Landry, Richardson, Allen Robinson, Matthews, Abberderis, Moncrief, Latimer... etc. There is a ton of guys I like at the WR position

Yeah, lots of names to be excited about in this class. Good chance they can get a real good player in the mid rounds too.

NYGfanSTRICK
02-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Yeah, lots of names to be excited about in this class. Good chance they can get a real good player in the mid rounds too.

Yeah for sure. All of the guys that I named besides Latimer are projected in the first 3 rounds (Moncrief 3rd-4th round projection right now)

I have a hard time believing that there are 18 WR's that could go in the first 3 rounds. Although 4 of those are 3rd-4th rounders... Someone is bound to fall

Carter.525
02-14-2014, 11:18 PM
+1.. good WR but not a fit for this team IMO. Guys I think would fit nicely are Benjamin, Adams, Landry, Richardson, Allen Robinson, Matthews, Abberderis, Moncrief, Latimer... etc. There is a ton of guys I like at the WR position

EDIT: Fixed typo that was censored lol

I like these guys in the middle rounds.. I'd be happy any of the 3

NYGfanSTRICK
02-14-2014, 11:19 PM
I like these guys in the middle rounds.. I'd be happy any of the 3

Yeah I forgot to mention Coleman too who would be intriguing in the mid rounds as well