PDA

View Full Version : Mock 1.2 (Post-Combine)

ELIte4MVP
02-25-2014, 12:57 PM
A few things before I put my mock up. This will be my last mock until after Free Agency, so I am going to "reach" for some guys who I think their stock is going to rise between now and the Draft. This will hopefully give better projections for the overall mock.

Secondly, this is assuming Free Agency is going to fill most of our needs, so we can draft for depth/BPA for the most part

1st Round- Justin GIlbert- CB Oklahoma State

Very athletic, and big (6 foot tall, 33 inch arms). He is quick, as well as fast. His backpedal and technique are good but there is room for improvement. He has stated that his footwork was terrible a few years ago, and he has improved greatly from then. He knows it is a weakness and is willing to address it, and I think he will improve vastly. He has experience playing press-man as well as off-zone.

He has KR/PR abilities, and a bunch of giants writers are saying the Giants want to improve in this area.

May go in the top 10 after a great combine, but if he is available at 12 I think the Giants do not say no to him.

2nd Round- Xavier Sua Filo- G UCLA

He very well may go in the first round. However, if he is there in the 2nd I think the Giants snag him. He has experience playing Tackle, but will probably be a LG in the NFL. Versatility is always good though, and the Giants have shown they value that. He has good technique, and is a big body. Has shown the ability to understand blocking schemes. Is good at pulling and can get to the next level nicely. Could be a little stronger. Also looks a little stiff at times

At the combine, he looked much more fluid in drills than he was on tape. At his size, his fluidity was very impressive. Why does this not translate onto the field with him?

Honorable Mention: Joel Bitonio- G/T Nevada

As I said I feel Sua Filo may be gone when we pick. Someone who is a projected 3rd rounder at the moment, Bitonio's stock is going to rise. He played LT in college, and did a great job against Barr. Projects to LG in the NFL, but again has versatility. He is a blue collar player, and is a technician. Shows short arms on tape, meaning that he loses arm positioning against defenders at times. However, he tested very well at the combine. He ran a good 40 and had good workouts. His arms are also almost 34", which shows his arms are longer in person than how his arms "played" on tape. Coaching should help improve his hand/arm technique, as his arms are long enough to get leverage in the NFL

3rd Round: CJ Fiedorowicz- TE Iowa

I love this kid. He is not a pure athletic type TE like Ebron. However, his 40 time impressed at the combine, which I will get into in a second. FIrst of all, however, is he can block. He is an in-line TE and blocked very well in college, and this will translate to the NFL. He is not the fastest guy, but he runs good routes and has very reliable hands. He is a safety blanket for a QB. He will improve our run blocking immediately. After watching him in drills at the combine, he looks fluid enough in his routes where he will be a match up problem against linebackers. He has good size as well. Now, I hate doing comparisons, but this one may shock you a little

I will compare FIedorowicz's drills/measurables from the combine to Rob Gronkowskis at his Pro Day (didnt work out at the combine)

FIedorowicz Gronkowski
Height: 6'5 6'6
Weight: 265 258
40: 4.76 4.68
Bench: 25 23
Broad: 9'7 9'11
20 yard shuttle: 4.26 4.47
3 cone: 7.1 7.18

Now, I am not saying that he is Gronk. However, he can block. Check. He can catch. Check. He is big. Check. He is slower for a tight end, but not the slowest. He measured better than Gronk in terms of agility drills. So the point I am making here is he is AT WORST a good in-line tight end for us. However, his biggest knock was he cannot split out wide and be that mis-match tight end. This does not say he CAN do it, but i think he has the POTENTIAL to be that kind of tight end for us.

4th Round: Jordan Zumwalt- MLB UCLA

First off, he is a great special teams player. Second, he knows how to line a defense up. He is a big hitter. He knows how to play the run.

Now, why is he a 4th round prospect? He lacks ideal speed. He is by no means a slow MLB. He can cover fairly well in space, but he is not elite in this sense. He also is fine in run defense, but if we were to send him on blitzes, we would probably need to scheme for him to get behind the line (delayed blitzes, etc) because he is not great at pass rush.

However, in the 4th round to get a guy who would be a defensive captain in the future, can line the defense up, and can make some plays as well, is solid in my book.

5th Round- Terrance West- HB Towson

Played against lesser competition, but did very well. Watching the tape, he will not make that explosive crazy play when the line gets blown up (his line got blown up a lot), but not many backs in the NFL can do that. However, when there is DECENT blocking, he can find the hole and hit it. He has great vision and has good cutting ability. Does not have breakaway speed, but I am looking at him more as a complement to WIlson. I dont care who is 1 and who is 2, but one is the bigger, more physical back and the other is the speed guy. West is not as physical as Andre Brown or Brandon Jacobs, but he is physical enough. He will not shy away from contact. He has good enough speed, and can also catch out of the backfield.

At the combine, he reinforced all of these things. The fact that he is a small school guy will cause him to fall on draft day. But he has all of the physical tools

5th Round- Compensatory Pick- Prince Shembo- OLB Notre Dame

I love this kid. This past year he played defensive end. He has a high motor, and decent pass rush moves. He is quicker than people think, and showed that at the combine. Previous years, he played OLB and did well. He is fluid backing up into coverage, and showed that at the combine as well. I honestly think he can step up and be a SAM backer for us day one. He can be a two down LB and then put his hand down and rush on 3rd down. This is a great value pick.

Why is he a 5th round guy? Well, first of all a lot of people didnt see him project to OLB. He proved that at the combine, so he may be on the rise. However, he admitted he was the unnamed player in a sexual assault case at notre dame. He addressed it at the combine. Not much is known about the case, besides the girl told people he "inappropriately touched her". No rape charges were filed, just inappropriate touching. She committed suicide 2 weeks later. So, its a messy case. People had assumed it was him, but he just admitted it was indeed him at the combine. Personally, I Feel it shows character to admit it was him. SInce he was unnamed, he could have denied it. But he admitted it. It was investigated, but I dont think any charges were issued. Regardless, I think we can take a chance on him in the 5th round. Others may disagree, but that is how I feel. I love him as a player, and I think it is very high reward possible here. I would give him a 2nd-3rd round grade personally

6th Round- Dri Archer- HB/WR Kent State

Why the **** not. This guy tested incredibly at the combine, with great Broad Jump for a small guy, and a blazing 40 time. I previously had him undrafted, but I think his crazy work out will cause him to rise up on boards. He is the kind of x factor like dexter mccluster who you can line up wherever. In the 6th round, you can start to take chances on guys like this. Now that the Giants have come creative minds (such as McAdoo and Langsdorf) i feel more comfortable taking a risk like this in the later rounds.

Let me know what you guys think. Again, I definitely "reached" for some guys like Archer, Zumwalt, potentially Bitonio, but this is considering stocks will change between now and the draft.

NYGfanSTRICK
02-25-2014, 01:19 PM
I love the first three. I have mocked all of those guys to us before so I am a big fan of that. I really like T. West as well. The dude is literally a bowling ball RB which I love those type of guys. Shembo and Zumwalt are nice additions to LB and Archer at the worst could be a nice returner I think

ELIte4MVP
02-25-2014, 01:22 PM
I love the first three. I have mocked all of those guys to us before so I am a big fan of that. I really like T. West as well. The dude is literally a bowling ball RB which I love those type of guys. Shembo and Zumwalt are nice additions to LB and Archer at the worst could be a nice returner I think

i truly believe if West was on a Big 10 team he would be a top 3 HB in this class. thats exactly what i am thinking about archer. basically dexter mccluster at round 6

titwio
02-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Nice job. Looks like you put some time and effort into this. Really like the first two picks. I'm a bit iffy on CJ in the 3rd...to me it depends on who is still on the board. The draft is deep and I have a few others in mind for them there. Still not a bad pick though. Don't know much about West but will look more into him. Shembo and Archer I would be all on board with. I really doubt Archer lasts that long now though. For a while I loved him as a late round prospect but I seriously doubt he's that anymore.

I'd be very happy with a class like this.

NYGfanSTRICK
02-25-2014, 01:34 PM
i truly believe if West was on a Big 10 team he would be a top 3 HB in this class. thats exactly what i am thinking about archer. basically dexter mccluster at round 6

Yeah when looking at West one thing that really impressed me at the combine was his 40 time. That was usually the biggest/only knock on him other than the fact he plays at a small school. He ran a 4.54 which is a pretty solid time for a guy that size. What makes it even more impressive is the fact that DeAnthony Thomas and Tre Mason only ran 4.50's! They are both players who are thought to have great speed. So it shows that speed really shouldn't be that big of a concern for him. I agree though if he was in the big 10 he would be in a similar draft projection as Carlos Hyde I think

ELIte4MVP
02-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Nice job. Looks like you put some time and effort into this. Really like the first two picks. I'm a bit iffy on CJ in the 3rd...to me it depends on who is still on the board. The draft is deep and I have a few others in mind for them there. Still not a bad pick though. Don't know much about West but will look more into him. Shembo and Archer I would be all on board with. I really doubt Archer lasts that long now though. For a while I loved him as a late round prospect but I seriously doubt he's that anymore.

I'd be very happy with a class like this.

thanks. i put more time into it and throw out only a few mocks. gonna do one after free agency then maybe one before the draft if stocks change enough. I appreciate it

ELIte4MVP
02-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah when looking at West one thing that really impressed me at the combine was his 40 time. That was usually the biggest/only knock on him other than the fact he plays at a small school. He ran a 4.54 which is a pretty solid time for a guy that size. What makes it even more impressive is the fact that DeAnthony Thomas and Tre Mason only ran 4.50's! They are both players who are thought to have great speed. So it shows that speed really shouldn't be that big of a concern for him. I agree though if he was in the big 10 he would be in a similar draft projection as Carlos Hyde I think

i wanted to see his measurables, his 40 which i agree was very good, and his instincts on the cutting drills. 3 checks for me. i'd honestly even take him in the 4th. one of my favorite backs in the draft. interestingly enough, behind hyde

nycsportzfan
02-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Very solid mock. Gilbert is 2nd behind Donald as my most hopeful pick, and I think Prince/Gilbert CB duo might be the best young CB tandem this team has ever had, or at least as long as I can remember? Sua-Filo is as solid a G as there is in this draft, and has some upside as well. I coulden't argue with this pick, albeit, it woulden't be my choice. I'd rather have the upside of a Troy Niklas in RD 3 then Fiedorowicz, and I think CJ might be a 4th/5th rd guy in a deep TE class, but i'd still be on board, as hes got a nice all around game, and would help run blocking and in redzone right away.. Zumwalt is def a guy I really like. His ability to play the pass and versatility to play inside or out is intriuging. Hes a long defender which I also like. Zumwalt is solid value in RD4 also. I freaking love Terrance West. I was a huge Doug Martin fan and he has a similar build as him, and is plenty fast enough at 225lbs. He will be very hard to tackle. Shembo and Archer are solid depth picks with chance to be more down the line. Might not be my choices in those rds, but I coulden't complain. Overall, i really like this draft, and my fave picks would be Gilbert, Zumwalt, and West..

ELIte4MVP
02-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Very solid mock. Gilbert is 2nd behind Donald as my most hopeful pick, and I think Prince/Gilbert CB duo might be the best young CB tandem this team has ever had, or at least as long as I can remember? Sua-Filo is as solid a G as there is in this draft, and has some upside as well. I coulden't argue with this pick, albeit, it woulden't be my choice. I'd rather have the upside of a Troy Niklas in RD 3 then Fiedorowicz, and I think CJ might be a 4th/5th rd guy in a deep TE class, but i'd still be on board, as hes got a nice all around game, and would help run blocking and in redzone right away.. Zumwalt is def a guy I really like. His ability to play the pass and versatility to play inside or out is intriuging. Hes a long defender which I also like. Zumwalt is solid value in RD4 also. I freaking love Terrance West. I was a huge Doug Martin fan and he has a similar build as him, and is plenty fast enough at 225lbs. He will be very hard to tackle. Shembo and Archer are solid depth picks with chance to be more down the line. Might not be my choices in those rds, but I coulden't complain. Overall, i really like this draft, and my fave picks would be Gilbert, Zumwalt, and West..

it would be even better if we fixed our o-line in FA and didnt even need to go guard in round 2. I did mock him there based slightly on need. Imagine we could get a WR in the 2nd round, or shazier

And i 100% agree with the martin comparison. didnt think about that before, but i definitely see it

i appreciate the kind words