PDA

View Full Version : Sportzfans post-combine mock draft.

nycsportzfan
02-25-2014, 06:10 PM
I just did one of these before the combine with the idea i'd do one after. Anyhow here it is..

1). Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh- I had Ealy here in Precombine mock. I've liked Donald for sometime, and he did enough(more then) at the combine to tip the scales in his direction for me. I get so excited when I think of a possible Dline of JPP , Linval, Donald, and DaMonster going forward.

If not Donald- Gilbert or Barr
--------------------------------------------------

2). Jordan Mathews WR Vanderbilt- I'm changing my pick from D.Adams to Mathews. Mathews answered the lone question I had about him with the good 40time. Honestly, I think Mathews will sneak into RD1, and if he does, Davante Adams gets the pick again..

If not Mathews- DaVante Adams or Ryan Shazier
--------------------------------------------------

3). Charles Sims RB West Virginia- Same pick as before combine for me here. Sims ran very well, to the tune of my exact perdicted 40 time of 4.48. He can run between the tackles, on the edge, and is incredibly good in the pass game. I really like this kid. Matt Forte is who he reminds me of..

If not Sims- Troy Niklas or Weston Richburg
-------------------------------------------------

4). Jordan Tripp LB Montana- This kid was a sleeper of mine whos moving up my board. He was incredibly fluid in the drills, showed good ability to drop back, and ran very well. Also, he was very productive player at Montana with tremendous leadership qualities. I think he can be a 3down backer in the NFL. Hes a riser for me after the combine and I all ready liked em..

If not Tripp- Smallwood(bad combine, still like em), or Will Clarke DE W.Va

5). Antone Exum CB Va Tech- He looked healthy at the combine and this is a guy who was a perdicted 2nd rd pick before the injury. I think the value is tremendous in RD5.. Maybe he plays alittle S/CB hybrid in time? Either way, hes tremendously athletic, big, with a good vert, whos value is to much for me to pass up in RD5..

If not Exum- Jeff Janis or Terrance West

5).COMP AC Leonard TE Tennesee St- This kids got the potential to be the next Julius Thomas. He had some off field issues but RD5 comp pick, I can handle the risk.

If not Leonard- Grimble or Chris Watt

---------------------------------------------------

6). Gabe Ikard C Oklahoma- Very impressed with his size at the combine. I liked em before but thought he was alittle smallish and not quite strong enough. He answered some questions for me at the combine.. I think he could be a late rd steal...

If not Ikard- Benwikere or Khairi Fortt
-----------------------------------------------------

1).Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
2).Jordan Mathews WR Vanderbilt
3).Charles Sims RB West Virginia
4).Jordan Tripp OLB Montana
5).Antone Exum CB Virginia Tech
5).AC Leonard TE Tennesee St.
6).Gabe Ikard C Oklahoma

nycsportzfan
02-25-2014, 06:12 PM
There are other guys I really like, but as everyone knows, sometimes you can't go with em, because of where you pick, what needs you have, what you did earlier in ur mock..etc

NYGfanSTRICK
02-25-2014, 07:46 PM
There are other guys I really like, but as everyone knows, sometimes you can't go with em, because of where you pick, what needs you have, what you did earlier in ur mock..etc

No joke I was just about to make a mock and was going to go with my boy Adams in the 2nd, Sims, then Tripp LMAO

NYGfanSTRICK
02-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Quick question do we for sure have an extra 5th round pick? If so I am pretty excited because this is a pretty deep draft and we could use some more picks

nycsportzfan
02-25-2014, 07:48 PM
No joke I was just about to make a mock and was going to go with my boy Adams in the 2nd, Sims, then Tripp LMAO

You know what they say about great minds?lol

nycsportzfan
02-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Quick question do we for sure have an extra 5th round pick? If so I am pretty excited because this is a pretty deep draft and we could use some more picks

Not sure if its offical yet, but it looks as close to offical as you can be without being.

NYGfanSTRICK
02-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Yeah man that is freaky on the draft haha. We also had 1st and 2nd round picks identical a while back with Gilbert and Crichton haha. Good to know on the 5th! There is a ton of talent even in the later rounds so hopefully they can gather some solid talent

ELIte4MVP
02-25-2014, 08:07 PM
i like it a lot. not as big a fan of sims as you are, but that is just personal. also not a huge fan of exum just because i think we need a more polished corner than him. idk where we could fit one in in this mock just because i like all of your early picks.

if we switched out exum with shembo, i may just like this more than my mock lol

born blue
02-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Sportzfan, I think this is really solid. I appreciate you beating the drum for Donald. He's been my guy since the draft season started- check out my mock version 1 and the revision a month later in the same thread: http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?41682-BB-Mock-1-0

If Matthews is there, he'd be hard to pass up in the second...legit future #1 potential. I like Sims less than you do and don't really want a RB in the first 3 rounds, but if you're sold on him I trust your eye -- NYG definitely need a back (or 2) from somewhere. I need to look at Tripp closer...like what I've read, but haven't seen enough tape. I think your round 5 is the boom or bust round, but nothing wrong with that so late -- if one of those guys hits it can make a draft go from good to great. I like the philosophy and the players -- Leonard is raw but has the tools and I like taking a chance on a guy who would have a higher grade except for injury (Exum). Ikard has the chance to be a starting C...if that happened the value is great.

Overall, I'd sign up for this right now...nice work!

nycsportzfan
02-26-2014, 01:20 AM
Sportzfan, I think this is really solid. I appreciate you beating the drum for Donald. He's been my guy since the draft season started- check out my mock version 1 and the revision a month later in the same thread: http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?41682-BB-Mock-1-0

If Matthews is there, he'd be hard to pass up in the second...legit future #1 potential. I like Sims less than you do and don't really want a RB in the first 3 rounds, but if you're sold on him I trust your eye -- NYG definitely need a back (or 2) from somewhere. I need to look at Tripp closer...like what I've read, but haven't seen enough tape. I think your round 5 is the boom or bust round, but nothing wrong with that so late -- if one of those guys hits it can make a draft go from good to great. I like the philosophy and the players -- Leonard is raw but has the tools and I like taking a chance on a guy who would have a higher grade except for injury (Exum). Ikard has the chance to be a starting C...if that happened the value is great.

Overall, I'd sign up for this right now...nice work!
Thanks blue. I appreciate the feed back. You should look into Jordan Tripp more, I think you'd like him alot.

nycsportzfan
02-26-2014, 01:30 AM
i like it a lot. not as big a fan of sims as you are, but that is just personal. also not a huge fan of exum just because i think we need a more polished corner than him. idk where we could fit one in in this mock just because i like all of your early picks.

if we switched out exum with shembo, i may just like this more than my mock lol

I'd be ok with Shembo being the pick. The only thing that worries me with Shembo is, where is his positon in a 43? I don't know if he can drop back enough to play SLB, and i'm not sure hes a hand in the dirt full time player either? We kinda got a player in Damontre Moore who is kinda the same situation. But, Iove his hustle and strength, and his ability to attack downhill. Again, if Shembo is are pick in the 5th or 6th, I woulden't mind..

As far as Sims, hes been compared alot to Matt Forte, and I think he might even be a tad faster then Forte. I just love his all around ability. He does have smallish hands, but hes prooved to me, that not to be a problem by catching 70balls in a season on top of not being known as a fumbler. I love that hes got the size to run between the tackles, yet the speed to get the outside edge, and the ability to catch a ton of balls outta the backfield. He can also block. I think hes vastly underrated in this draft.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

gabriel_1
02-26-2014, 03:16 AM
I like the mock.
I'm not a big fan of Donald, I understand his production and athleticism but he gets lost if his first move doesn't work. He would be a guy that would mostly be used in pass rushing situations and for that I would rather someone else. At 12 there will be guys that ave incredible talent and that will be all time players. A guy like Ebron, Lewan or Mosley would be better pick IMO. Plus as you mention if Linval stays I rather have him and Jenkins, and Hankins on first downs.
Love the the 2 Jordan picks!!
And lastly AC Leonard could be a great pick, I see the comparison with Julius due to athleticism.

nycsportzfan
02-26-2014, 07:59 AM
I like the mock.
I'm not a big fan of Donald, I understand his production and athleticism but he gets lost if his first move doesn't work. He would be a guy that would mostly be used in pass rushing situations and for that I would rather someone else. At 12 there will be guys that ave incredible talent and that will be all time players. A guy like Ebron, Lewan or Mosley would be better pick IMO. Plus as you mention if Linval stays I rather have him and Jenkins, and Hankins on first downs.
Love the the 2 Jordan picks!!
And lastly AC Leonard could be a great pick, I see the comparison with Julius due to athleticism.
Donald is incredibly strong! Hes not a finesse guy who relys soley on athletic ability by any stretch. Hes one of the strongest guys in the draft lb for lb.. Hes got a great blend of athletic ability and speed to go with his explosivness and power. He lead the country with a 1.6 Sack per game avg and in TFL at 2.4 per game. Thats from the DT position!!! Look at this writeup by Rob Rang. He says Donalds got the same skill set as John Randle, who was the best interior pass rusher ever, and was relentless and strong as a ox..

"Pittsburgh's Aaron Donald stole Clowney's spotlight, d***ling during combine drills the same way he did throughout the 2013 season. Thought to be undersized at 6-0, 285 at Pittsburgh, played big last season and is getting bigger in the post-season.

His explosive power was obvious in games, were be blew up the line of scrimmage and led the nation with average sacks per game (1.6) and tackles for loss (2.4). On Monday, he showed why. He blasted through 40 yards in 4.68, had a 32-inch vertical and benched 225 pounds 35 times."

gabriel_1
02-26-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm not saying he isn't strong. I'm saying he doesn't have the leverage to shed blocks after his first moves fail. He is a great pass rusher and I agree with you on that, but with the possible departure If Linval Joseph I believe that the his replacement is already on out roster in Hankins. Aaron Donal might be a very explosive player however at where we pick there will be guys that can contribute more to the team.
Guys like you mention in Gilbert I believe will be better additions than Donald.

gabriel_1
02-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Don't get me wrong man haha

I love the draft Jordan Matthews is probably my favourite receiver, and Jordan Tripp is someone who I believe has starting calibre. I just think there are better options for the team.