PDA

View Full Version : Manning trade still important almost 8 years later

GOBIGBLUE52
01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Really enjoyed this read (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/gm-ernie-accorsi-mastermind-behind-drawing-manning-plan-ny-giants-article-1.1004253)

Snappinnecks
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Great read. Thanks for that.

NJ10
01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Me too that was good.

T-Murda84
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
What I loved most about this trade, what that Ernie Acorsi told the Chargers GM that he was NOT trading Osi. Eli Manning and Osi Umenyiora are still playing at a high level right now (even tho, Reese pissed off Osi). If there was one Giant great that I would love to see back in the Giants organization, it would be ERNIE ACORSI.

fansince69
01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
What I loved most about this trade, what that Ernie Acorsi told the Chargers GM that he was NOT trading Osi. Eli Manning and Osi Umenyiora are still playing at a high level right now (even tho, Reese pissed off Osi). If there was one Giant great that I would love to see back in the Giants organization, it would be ERNIE ACORSI.

I love how everyone just assumes that it is Reese that pissed off Osi because we all know that Osi couldn't possibly be backing out of a contract that he WILLINGLY signed.Even if for argument sake Reese did agree to redo his contract IF Osi played 2 good seasons.....Problem is being injured does not count as a good season....so in all honesty it is Osi that did NOT keep HIS end of the agreement.

Osi is in the wrong and needs to be a man and live up to his end of the agreement.

Gianthunter
01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Also vindicates Archie. Look at the dysfunctional family Smith has created in S.D.

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Like it or not, the Manning trade will go down as the most important day in NYG history.

GameTime
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
cool...thanks.</P>

always nice to read something about Eli that doesn't pertain to comparisons, elite"ness", QB rankings, or **** like that.</P>

Here's hoping that Eli adds to the legacy that is the New Yor Giants. </P>

</P>

krygny
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Put the ball in Eli's hands. He's our best player. He's a winner. We've been riding him all year and it's paid off.

If I start to hear bull**** about "establishing the run" and "maintaining time of possession" and "keeping Rodgers off the field", we will lose. It won't work. We may come close. But we'll lose.

The Saints are a different story. Let's get past the Pack first.

DragonSoul
01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
good read but overall a rehash

TrueBlue@NYC
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
If reading that story doesn't get you pumped up about Sunday, I don't know what would.

C1010
01-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Was Ernie ever given a ring for SB 42? If not, he should have. He built the team pretty well before he left.

GOBIGBLUE52
01-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Was Ernie ever given a ring for SB 42? If not, he should have. He built the team pretty well before he left.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I remembered reading that he attended the ceremony and was presented with a ring, as he should have been.

SweetZombieJesus
01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Like it or not, the Manning trade will go down as the most important day in NYG history.

Up there, but I'd say drafting LT had a bigger impact.

Gianthunter
01-11-2012, 05:44 PM

[Y] I remember who is this long armed gangly SOB.

krygny
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM

LT was a no-brainer. But it really took guts to draft Phil-who? from Moorehead State in the first round.

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 06:28 PM

So far that is true. We will revisit 8 years from now and I dont think it will be close.

fansince69
01-11-2012, 06:33 PM

So far that is true. We will revisit 8 years from now and I dont think it will be close.

Please tell me you are not serious....cause if you are serious then you are delusional.....
Just for clarification...who will have a bigger impact?

GOBIGBLUE52
01-11-2012, 06:38 PM
I think Miracle at the Meadowlands was the most important. That doesn't happen and George Young never gets hired. No Parcells, no LT, no Simms.

Which is why I laugh when Eagle fans bring that up still.

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Please tell me you are not serious....cause if you are serious then you are delusional.....

It wont even be close. Eli will be our QB for 13 plus years. It will be the best stretch of Giants football in the SB era. Again, it wont even be close.

phieagle1
01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
lets go green bay packers. Snd the *** giants PACKING!!!!! Shut them up

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 06:49 PM
lets go green bay packers. Snd the *** giants PACKING!!!!! Shut them up

You must have one of the most depressing lives of all time.

fansince69
01-11-2012, 06:54 PM

It wont even be close. Eli will be our QB for 13 plus years. It will be the best stretch of Giants football in the SB era. Again, it wont even be close.

so you can honesty say that you think Eli was a better pick than LT?

did you see LT play?

Gianthunter
01-11-2012, 07:03 PM

did you see LT play?
The story aint wrote yet.

Gianthunter

did you see LT play?

NoHuddle10

did you see LT play?

Time will tell... Look at the teams that win in this league, they all have the guy at QB. LT was one of, if not the best linebacker of all time. Eli will go down as one of the top 5 or 10 QB's of all time IMO.

Just look at the division round of the playoffs this year, look at the previous super bowl winners. This years divisional round has Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Big Ben, IMO the best 5 QB's in the league, all Super Bowl winners. 4 super bowl MVPs.

LT was one of the best of all time (no doubt about it), Eli will have the bigger impact on our team during his tenure.

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM

did you see LT play?

Exactly.... Eli will hopefully win 2-4 super bowls in his career. We drafted him following a 4-12 season.... No other Giant will have had a bigger impact on the Giants than Eli has.

lawl
01-11-2012, 07:18 PM

did you see LT play?
Time will tell... Look at the teams that win in this league, they all have the guy at QB. LT was one of, if not the best linebacker of all time. Eli will go down as one of the top 5 or 10 QB's of all time IMO. Just look at the division round of the playoffs this year, look at the previous super bowl winners. This years divisional round has Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Big Ben, IMO the best 5 QB's in the league, all Super Bowl winners. 4 super bowl MVPs. LT was one of the best of all time (no doubt about it), Eli will have the bigger impact on our team during his tenure.</P>

Eli hasn't been a top 5 QB in the league until this year and you think he'll be top 5 or top 10 of all time? </P>

Wow.</P>

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 07:27 PM

did you see LT play?
Time will tell... Look at the teams that win in this league, they all have the guy at QB. LT was one of, if not the best linebacker of all time. Eli will go down as one of the top 5 or 10 QB's of all time IMO. Just look at the division round of the playoffs this year, look at the previous super bowl winners. This years divisional round has Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Big Ben, IMO the best 5 QB's in the league, all Super Bowl winners. 4 super bowl MVPs. LT was one of the best of all time (no doubt about it), Eli will have the bigger impact on our team during his tenure.</P>

Eli hasn't been a top 5 QB in the league until this year and you think he'll be top 5 or top 10 of all time? </P>

Wow.</P>

Time will tell. You really need to get a life. You respond to every post I make on here. Do you have a crush on me? You are more obsessed with me than my girlfirend is. Let it be man, time will tell, you will be wrong, I will be right. I promise you.

And yes, I guarantee that barring any serious injury, Eli goes down as a top 10 QB of all time.

Gianthunter
01-11-2012, 07:29 PM

did you see LT play?

Wow.</P>So you belive he can't break the top 10 in his career?

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 07:33 PM

did you see LT play?

Wow.</P>So you belive he can't break the top 10 in his career?

Lawl wont catch on for a few more years.

But do me a favor Lawl. Pull up Elis career numbers through his first 8 years. Then do the exact same for Peyton, Brady, Montana, Elway, Marino, Brees, Favre and every other QB you consider to be top 10 all time. Then analyze the stats. Then imagine that Eli will have similar seasons the next 6 years, if not better than this year. Then analyze the numbers again. Its really not that hard to see.

lawl
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM

did you see LT play?

Wow.</P>

So you belive he can't break the top 10 in his career? Lawl wont catch on for a few more years. But do me a favor Lawl. Pull up Elis career numbers through his first 8 years. Then do the exact same for Peyton, Brady, Montana, Elway, Marino, Brees, Favre and every other QB you consider to be top 10 all time. Then analyze the stats. Then imagine that Eli will have similar seasons the next 6 years, if not better than this year. Then analyze the numbers again. Its really not that hard to see.</P>

How about since you made the claim. Then you put in the legwork. </P>

His stats are going to surpass the old guys like montana and elway, just like Ryan and Stafford and many others will.</P>

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 07:41 PM

did you see LT play?

Wow.</P>

So you belive he can't break the top 10 in his career? Lawl wont catch on for a few more years. But do me a favor Lawl. Pull up Elis career numbers through his first 8 years. Then do the exact same for Peyton, Brady, Montana, Elway, Marino, Brees, Favre and every other QB you consider to be top 10 all time. Then analyze the stats. Then imagine that Eli will have similar seasons the next 6 years, if not better than this year. Then analyze the numbers again. Its really not that hard to see.</P>

His stats are going to surpass the old guys like montana and elway, just like Ryan and Stafford and many others will.</P>

Ryan and Stafford wont, and neither have won a playoff game let alone a SB.

Its funny how you pull just Montana and Elway from that list. Compare him to Brees, Brady, and Peyton only then... Like that makes sense?

Frankly, there are just a lot of unreal QB's in the league right now. It goes in waves, the defenses will rule again.

I am a busy guy, but just for you my little puppet, I will do put in the work and make the list.....

lawl
01-11-2012, 07:44 PM

did you see LT play?

Wow.</P>

Ryan and Stafford wont, and neither have won a playoff game let alone a SB. Its funny how you pull just Montana and Elway from that list. Compare him to Brees, Brady, and Peyton only then... Like that makes sense? Frankly, there are just a lot of unreal QB's in the league right now. It goes in waves, the defenses will rule again. I am a busy guy, but just for you my little puppet, I will do put in the work and make the list.....</P>

Compare the first 8 years of rivers ben stafford ryan eli peyton rogers.</P>

On some you'll obviously have to extrapolate data.</P>

The game has changed alot since as recently as 2008.</P>

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 07:46 PM

did you see LT play?

Wow.</P>

Ryan and Stafford wont, and neither have won a playoff game let alone a SB. Its funny how you pull just Montana and Elway from that list. Compare him to Brees, Brady, and Peyton only then... Like that makes sense? Frankly, there are just a lot of unreal QB's in the league right now. It goes in waves, the defenses will rule again. I am a busy guy, but just for you my little puppet, I will do put in the work and make the list.....</P>

Compare the first 8 years of rivers ben stafford ryan eli peyton rogers.</P>

On some you'll obviously have to extrapolate data.</P>

The game has changed alot since as recently as 2008.</P>

No it hasnt. The game hasnt changed much at all. That is your way of justifying things, but its just not the case.

The game has changed alot since 08? Thats laughable Lawl... Be real man.

NoHuddle10
01-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Honestly the biggest difference this year was....

A. The new kick off rules forced a lot of teams to start from the 20. Average drives started at the 20 instead of the 30. Multiply that times 10 or so drives a game and that alone makes up some of the difference in yards.

B. Guys like Brees and Stafford threw the ball close to 100 times more than guys like Eli, Brady, and Rodgers.

C. It was a relatively warm winter across the country.

These are all much bigger factors than the game changing "SO MUCH" in the last 4 years... That is a ridiculous claim.

lawl
01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
No it hasnt. The game hasnt changed much at all. That is your way of justifying things, but its just not the case. The game has changed alot since 08? Thats laughable Lawl... Be real man.

It has, WRs have nothing to fear when crossing the middle. Anytime they get popped a flag gets thrown. Warranted or not.</P>

By the way I'll split up the data if you want, just tell me what guys you want me to do.</P>

</P>

edit: College recruiting has changed as well. Bad teams that are going to lose would rather score a bunch of points rather than lose and not score alot so they are going out and recruiting the best athletes they can and putting them on offense. So many teams in the league now have a multitude of weapons. Matt Stafford in his first full year starting(no injuries) threw for over 5000 yards. A plateau that two people before this year had reached. More and more teams are spreading the field. Theres much more passing attempts than before and its not slowing down.</P>

lawl
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Honestly the biggest difference this year was.... A. <FONT size=6>The new kick off rules</FONT> forced a lot of teams to start from the 20. Average drives started at the 20 instead of the 30. Multiply that times 10 or so drives a game and that alone makes up some of the difference in yards. B. Guys like Brees and Stafford threw the ball close to 100 times more than guys like Eli, Brady, and Rodgers. C. It was a relatively warm winter across the country. T<FONT size=5>hese are all much bigger factors than the game changing</FONT> "SO MUCH" in the last 4 years... That is a ridiculous claim.</P>

You gotta be kidding right?</P>

New kick off rules= game changed. </P>

Like I also said, teams are throwing the ball much more than before.</P>

</P>

JJC7301
01-11-2012, 08:09 PM

did you see LT play?
We technically didn't even draft Eli -- we traded for him. Eli was the best player that we ever TRADED for.

The Giants franchise was horrible for about 15 years before they drafted LT. Eli means a lot and will continue to do so for at least the next 7 years. I am not taking anything away from Eli by saying that LT was the best player that the Giants ever drafted.

If I had to choose between drafting LT and Eli, I would choose LT. It would be a close call in my book because of the singular importance of the QB, but I would have to go with possibly the best defensive player that ever played the game.

But why even get into this debate -- can't we just enjoy having a great QB in Eli and the fact that we had the best defensive player to ever play the game?

GOBIGBLUE52
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM

did you see LT play?
We technically didn't even draft Eli -- we traded for him. Eli was the best player that we ever TRADED for.

The Giants franchise was horrible for about 15 years before they drafted LT. Eli means a lot and will continue to do so for at least the next 7 years. I am not taking anything away from Eli by saying that LT was the best player that the Giants ever drafted.

If I had to choose between drafting LT and Eli, I would choose LT. It would be a close call in my book because of the singular importance of the QB, but I would have to go with possibly the best defensive player that ever played the game.

But why even get into this debate -- can't we just enjoy having a great QB in Eli and the fact that we had the best defensive player to ever play the game?

This sums it up pretty well for me.

I've always been a fan of Eli, I appreciate everything he's done for this team, and I've grown up watching him all throughout middle school, high school, and college. By the time he leaves the Giants, he'll own most if not all of the team records and will be the best QB we've ever had.

But to say he will be a top 10 or especially a top 5 QB is a huge stretch. He isn't even a HOFer at this point. He's 31, so let's say he has 6 or 7 years left. If 4 of those 6 years are what he was like this year and wins another super bowl (or two, but let's win one more first) then he has a very good shot of getting in. But even then, HOFers are guys who dominated the sport at their position for a reasonably long period of time. Brady, Peyton, Favre....those are guys who have DOMINATED. Eli has not. Prior to 2009 he was pretty much a game manager, then in 2009 he really pulled guns out.

Yes, we acquired Eli after a dismal 4-12 season, but we drafted LT after almost 20 years of not making the playoffs and seeing some of the worst Giants teams of all time in that timespan (Parcells' first year is probably the worst, definitely worst of the super bowl era). The Giants were in the super bowl only 4 years prior and a playoff team 2 years prior to getting Eli in here

fansince69
01-11-2012, 09:18 PM
I am still trying to get answer to the question....Did you guys that are backing Eli in this discussion see LT play ?....not that hard of a question....I cant stand these people that didnt see the games and just Quote stats....You can't compare people from different eras with stats......the game has changed way to much!!!.....Please do not misunderstand me...I am an Eli suppoter and always have been ....this is not an anti Eli thing with me.....

nygfanmaybe
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
LT was a great player, no doubt, but Eli will surpass LT as the face of the franchise if ownership has anything to say about it.

Eli will never have the off-field issues LT had.