PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we pull a Tebow??

BigBlueOnes
01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
No, I don't mean run Eli. Watch the game winning snap of the Broncos Steelers game and you'll see what happened. They had bracket coverage on Thomas, with the inside cover guy (Munday??) faking a blitz. LeBeau intended to have him drop back into coverage and Tebow walked to the line, did a quick snap and Thomas got the step he needed. I think I get a little annoyed that we run the clock down to .000001 second every play, even when we don't need to. I would like KG to say "Eli, let's step it up, do two or three quick snaps at the line to keep the defense honest and catch them off." I sure hope KG calls another creative game, we're gonna need it.

gmen0820
01-11-2012, 01:50 PM
So pull a quick snap or what Tebow accomplished? That play would not have happened if Tebow was not respected as a passer. LeBeau or anyone wouldn't call that against Eli, and if it presented itself, Eli has an exceptional football IQ, he would quickly so what he had to do.

Ruttiger711
01-11-2012, 01:54 PM
So pull a quick snap or what Tebow accomplished? That play would not have happened if Tebow was not respected as a passer. LeBeau or anyone wouldn't call that against Eli, and if it presented itself, Eli has an exceptional football IQ, he would quickly so what he had to do.</P>

Well they WERE playing the pass... and specifically to DT, it was a fake blitz. I think it was more of bad execution by the backup safety. </P>

BigBlueOnes
01-11-2012, 02:10 PM
So pull a quick snap or what Tebow accomplished? That play would not have happened if Tebow was not respected as a passer. LeBeau or anyone wouldn't call that against Eli, and if it presented itself, Eli has an exceptional football IQ, he would quickly so what he had to do.</P>

Well they WERE playing the pass... and specifically to DT, it was a fake blitz. I think it was more of bad execution by the backup safety. </P>

Thank you!!! Gmen0820 you're dead wrong, it WAS playing the pass, it was disguised as a blitz, that was the point of my post. I think had Tebow gone to the line and tried to read it, the DB may have had time to square off and backpedal faster. He leaned in the fake the blitz, the ball came out way faster then he expected, by then it was too late. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second Tebow saw it as a fake blitz, I think he saw nine in the box and did a quick snap to try to get a quick slant off and it worked. LeBeau called the right play, the quick snap burned the Steelers D.

Morehead State
01-11-2012, 02:18 PM
No, I don't mean run Eli. Watch the game winning snap of the Broncos Steelers game and you'll see what happened. They had bracket coverage on Thomas, with the inside cover guy (Munday??) faking a blitz. LeBeau intended to have him drop back into coverage and Tebow walked to the line, did a quick snap and Thomas got the step he needed. I think I get a little annoyed that we run the clock down to .000001 second every play, even when we don't need to. I would like KG to say "Eli, let's step it up, do two or three quick snaps at the line to keep the defense honest and catch them off." I sure hope KG calls another creative game, we're gonna need it.</P>

We're going with what brung us.</P>

gmen0820
01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Oh okay nevermind, I get what you are saying. I wasn't getting what you were intending by the quick snap thing

Ruttiger711
01-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Thank you!!! Gmen0820 you're dead wrong, it WAS playing the pass, it was disguised as a blitz, that was the point of my post. I think had Tebow gone to the line and tried to read it, the DB may have had time to square off and backpedal faster. He leaned in the fake the blitz, the ball came out way faster then he expected, by then it was too late. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second Tebow saw it as a fake blitz, I think he saw nine in the box and did a quick snap to try to get a quick slant off and it worked. LeBeau called the right play, the quick snap burned the Steelers D.They were playing the pass? Is that why the safety was running towards the line of scrimmage pre snap only to have realized how hard he as well as some of Pitts LBer bit on the play? Explain this concept for me.</P>

Yes playing the pass... they were describing it on Sirius this morning that it was fake blitz, bracket coverage on DT and eluded that LeBeau said as much.(on the radio so i dont have a link) I'm sure you've seen players, linebackers, safeties run up to the line only to back off it...this is nothing new...the ball wassnapped before he could back off it and put him WAY out of position. </P>

gmen0820
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM

Well they WERE playing the pass... and specifically to DT, it was a fake blitz.* I think it was more of bad execution by the backup safety.* </P>

Thank you!!! Gmen0820 you're dead wrong, it WAS playing the pass, it was disguised as a blitz, that was the point of my post. I think had Tebow gone to the line and tried to read it, the DB may have had time to square off and backpedal faster. He leaned in the fake the blitz, the ball came out way faster then he expected, by then it was too late. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second Tebow saw it as a fake blitz, I think he saw nine in the box and did a quick snap to try to get a quick slant off and it worked. LeBeau called the right play, the quick snap burned the Steelers D.They were playing the pass? Is that why the safety was running towards the line of scrimmage pre snap only to have realized how hard he as well as some of Pitts LBer bit on the play? Explain this concept for me.</P>

Yes playing the pass... they were describing it on Sirius this morning that it was fake blitz, bracket coverage on DT and eluded that LeBeau said as much.*(on the radio so i dont have a link) *I'm sure you've seen players, linebackers, safeties run up to the line only to back off it...this is nothing new...*the ball was*snapped before he could back off it and put him WAY out of position.* </P>I clarified. I really just misread the post/point of the OP. My apologies.

Ruttiger711
01-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Yes playing the pass... they were describing it on Sirius this morning that it was fake blitz, bracket coverage on DT and eluded that LeBeau said as much.(on the radio so i dont have a link) I'm sure you've seen players, linebackers, safeties run up to the line only to back off it...this is nothing new...the ball wassnapped before he could back off it and put him WAY out of position. </P>

I clarified. I really just misread the post/point of the OP. My apologies.</P>

</P>

None necessary. What i find questionable is why even fake the blitz so there's any opportunity for the player to be out of position? With the new overtime rules letting up a field goal is not the end of the world. </P>

Mercury
01-11-2012, 05:44 PM
We don't do it, because Eli reads the defense and adjusts the play accordingly. In doing so, he doesn't need to rely on a quick snap and luck of catching someone a half a second behind. He determines where the ball should go. And a couple times a game, he even draws the D off sides with a hard count. (Can't do that on a quick snap.)