PDA

View Full Version : Yankees-Jets fans

Jack Robinson
06-15-2010, 07:44 AM
</P>

So here's what I'm thinkin about today. Some people on this board who are Giants-Yankees fans have a lame problem with us Giants fans who are also Mets fans. Thing is, I also happen to know a lot of Yankees-Jets fans. In fact, my dad and brother in law happen to be Yankees-Jets fans. A few of my friends are as well.</P>

Seems a lot of people who are bitter toward Giant fans being Met fans use the whole traditional teams argument, yet they never acknowlege the fact that there another group of fans who also go Yankees-Jets (ew). </P>

Personally, I'm not old enough to have been a NY sports fan when it was only the Giants and Yankees, or when the Mets and Jets were first created. To me, being a Giants-Yankees fan has become less automatic for younger generations because the Mets and Jets are now about 50 years old. </P>

I can't say why some are Yankees-Jets fans, but I know why I'm a Giants-Mets fan. First, they were both good in the 80s when I was growing up (Giant fan since '84, Mets since '83). Second, they wear similar colors. Third, they are both in the National Conference whereas Yankees and Jets are in the American Conference. Fourth, I test-marketed the Yankees and Jets and remember being bored watching them both. (The yankees in the '81 WS, and the Jets when my dad had them on).</P>

</P>

TuckYou
06-15-2010, 08:16 AM
I dont have a problem with Giants-Mets fans at all, being a Giants Yankees fan. Its those Giants-Red Sox fans that piss me off. That is ridiculous. You CAN NOT like one team from NY and one from Boston, its just imposible.

giantyankee1976
06-15-2010, 08:46 AM
</p>

So here's what I'm thinkin about today. Some people on this board who are Giants-Yankees fans have a lame problem with us Giants fans who are also Mets fans. Thing is, I also happen to know a lot of Yankees-Jets fans. In fact, my dad and brother in law happen to be Yankees-Jets fans. A few of my friends are as well.</p>

Seems a lot of people who are bitter toward Giant fans being Met fans use the whole traditional teams argument, yet they never acknowlege the fact that there another group of fans who also go Yankees-Jets (ew). </p>

Personally, I'm not old enough to have been a NY sports fan when it was only the Giants and Yankees, or when the Mets and Jets were first created. To me, being a Giants-Yankees fan has become less automatic for younger generations because the Mets and Jets are now about 50 years old. </p>

I can't say why some are Yankees-Jets fans, but I know why I'm a Giants-Mets fan. First, they were both good in the 80s when I was growing up (Giant fan since '84, Mets since '83). Second, they wear similar colors. Third, they are both in the National Conference whereas Yankees and Jets are in the American Conference. Fourth, I test-marketed the Yankees and Jets and remember being bored watching them both. (The yankees in the '81 WS, and the Jets when my dad had them on).</p>

</p>

If I've ever offended you, I apologize....I don't have an issue with Mets fans.

My issue with the Jets as an organization and/or her fans is the perception that comes with the Jets.

to the point, the combination of Inferiority Complex + Sheer Arrogance....it's like the cowboys lite.

this is the United States of America, a person can root for any team that wish to.

I don't doubt the 80s brought many bandwagon fans of the Mets onboard, I DON"T doubt the 90s doing the same for the Yanks....but what starts as bandwagoning has the potential to become pure and real.

All I ask for is steadiness, that is to say: stick by your "team" no matter what. please don't flock to the jets because their coach is a tub and you think their QB is dreamy; only to "return" to Big Blue when the bottom falls out.

I dont have a problem with Giants-Mets fans at
all, being a Giants Yankees fan. Its those Giants-Red Sox fans that piss
me off. That is ridiculous. You CAN NOT like one team from NY and one
from Boston, its just imposible.

[:P]

oh, leave Morehead and RBCarp alone......they're people too

Faulkner
06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
<font size="5">And here we have it folks. On # 1 Giants forum in the world. Dumb *** Yankees, and Jets conversations.

Hey guy who made this thread who cares???????????</font>

Captain Chaos
06-15-2010, 10:00 AM
</p>

So here's what I'm thinkin about today. Some people on this board who are Giants-Yankees fans have a lame problem with us Giants fans who are also Mets fans. Thing is, I also happen to know a lot of Yankees-Jets fans. In fact, my dad and brother in law happen to be Yankees-Jets fans. A few of my friends are as well.</p>

Seems a lot of people who are bitter toward Giant fans being Met fans use the whole traditional teams argument, yet they never acknowlege the fact that there another group of fans who also go Yankees-Jets (ew). </p>

Personally, I'm not old enough to have been a NY sports fan when it was only the Giants and Yankees, or when the Mets and Jets were first created. To me, being a Giants-Yankees fan has become less automatic for younger generations because the Mets and Jets are now about 50 years old. </p>

I can't say why some are Yankees-Jets fans, but I know why I'm a Giants-Mets fan. First, they were both good in the 80s when I was growing up (Giant fan since '84, Mets since '83). Second, they wear similar colors. Third, they are both in the National Conference whereas Yankees and Jets are in the American Conference. Fourth, I test-marketed the Yankees and Jets and remember being bored watching them both. (The yankees in the '81 WS, and the Jets when my dad had them on).</p>

</p>

Any one that has been around a while remembers the expansion teams of the 1960s and there were a ton of them. The Mets filled the void of the 1950's desertion of the Dodgers and the Giants (check the Metropolitans (AKA Mets) colors dodger blue and Giants' black and orange). They were horrific when they started and the Dodger and Giant fans that this team was to placate were not impressed and most had converted to Yankee fans, hence no one liked the Mets until there unprobable WS victory in 1969. For the Jets they played in the AFL, at the time a much weaker league which started in 1960 (for like the fifth time) and many people were just plain skeptical. In addition look at the Yankees and Giants of the early 1960s they were two dominant teams and few would change there allegiance from a winner to a loser. Enter the mid 60's to the mid 70's and you will see that both the Giants and the Yankees performance slipped dramatically and with the emergence of the Mets and Jets in the late 60s many jumped from the Yankees and Giants and many younger kids just growing up went with the then winners as well. It has made for a great rivalry (subway series etc). I have a number of friends that are Giants-Mets, Yankees-Jets, and yes a few delusional (tongue in cheek) Jets-Mets fans. I find it great fun when both season's are going in September when we get together to watch a Giant's game and poke fun at the Mets fans as there team slides into oblivion as the season closes (isn't that the way it always happens). Love the rivalry....Chaos!!

Bavaro4Prez
06-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Hmmm... I was unaware of this hatred towards us Giants/Mets fans. I am saddened by this news.

For me, it was quite easy. I come from a deep family heritage of staunch Giants fans and was born with a Giants hat on. I grew up in Flushing Queens, walking distance from Shea Stadium. During my youth, Shea Stadium was my second home. And that is my story of how I became a Giants/Mets fan.

Jack Robinson
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
</P>

So here's what I'm thinkin about today. Some people on this board who are Giants-Yankees fans have a lame problem with us Giants fans who are also Mets fans. Thing is, I also happen to know a lot of Yankees-Jets fans. In fact, my dad and brother in law happen to be Yankees-Jets fans. A few of my friends are as well.</P>

Seems a lot of people who are bitter toward Giant fans being Met fans use the whole traditional teams argument, yet they never acknowlege the fact that there another group of fans who also go Yankees-Jets (ew). </P>

Personally, I'm not old enough to have been a NY sports fan when it was only the Giants and Yankees, or when the Mets and Jets were first created. To me, being a Giants-Yankees fan has become less automatic for younger generations because the Mets and Jets are now about 50 years old. </P>

I can't say why some are Yankees-Jets fans, but I know why I'm a Giants-Mets fan. First, they were both good in the 80s when I was growing up (Giant fan since '84, Mets since '83). Second, they wear similar colors. Third, they are both in the National Conference whereas Yankees and Jets are in the American Conference. Fourth, I test-marketed the Yankees and Jets and remember being bored watching them both. (The yankees in the '81 WS, and the Jets when my dad had them on).</P>

</P>

My issue with the Jets as an organization and/or her fans is the perception that comes with the Jets.

to the point, the combination of Inferiority Complex + Sheer Arrogance....it's like the cowboys lite.

this is the United States of America, a person can root for any team that wish to.

I don't doubt the 80s brought many bandwagon fans of the Mets onboard, I DON"T doubt the 90s doing the same for the Yanks....but what starts as bandwagoning has the potential to become pure and real.

All I ask for is steadiness, that is to say: stick by your "team" no matter what. please don't flock to the jets because their coach is a tub and you think their QB is dreamy; only to "return" to Big Blue when the bottom falls out.

I dont have a problem with Giants-Mets fans at all, being a Giants Yankees fan. Its those Giants-Red Sox fans that piss me off. That is ridiculous. You CAN NOT like one team from NY and one from Boston, its just imposible.

</P>

I didn't have any particular Giants-Yankee fan in mind writing this, and I wouldn't remember if you said anything about it anyway.</P>

Agreed on the stick to your team thing. I don't know that I was a bandwagoner because the '83 mets weren't very good and its hard to bandwagon when you're that young. Like the Giants, they started getting good in '84. Became a Giant fan in '84 when Simms had his 4000 yard season.</P>

</P>

Jack Robinson
06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
<FONT size=5>And here we have it folks. On # 1 Giants forum in the world. Dumb *** Yankees, and Jets conversations.

Hey guy who made this thread who cares???????????</FONT>
</P>

I'll translate this for anyone who finds this morons font not big enough:</P>

"I NEED ATTENTION. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME."</P>

</P>

</P>

Bluedude2
06-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I think Met fans have more isssues with yankee fans. As a Yankee fanI think the Mets have a nice club.

repeatchamps
06-15-2010, 10:46 AM
</P>

</P>

</P>

Lol, I just met someone on Friday who is a Jets-Yankees fan. A rarity indeed but not non-existant. I would say Giants-Mets fans are more common though than Jets-Yankees fans.</P>

PhilaGiant83
06-15-2010, 12:25 PM
My cousin is a Phillies-Giants-Devils-Nets fan. Yeaaah talk about odd. Me I cheer on teams from the NY Region, and have been for quite a while now. Now how many of you ever have met a Phillies-Giants fan? That has to be a WEIRD combination in a nutshell.

YATittle1962
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Baseball......Americas most boring pastime

FlyingTruck
06-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Giants-Mets fan here.

rbcarpenter
06-15-2010, 01:07 PM
</p>

</p>

thank you for your defense,let me explain to tuck you....been a giants fan my whole life.was a yankee fan 'til i was 9 or 10.my took me to an autograph signing session at the grand opening of a gino's/kfc about 4 blocks from my house in south river,nj,at which my favorite player at the time,thurman munson,was appearing!yay!my little sister,who was sick at the time,loved thurman too,but couldn't get out of bed to go,asked me to get her a picture for her.after waiting on line for an hour and a half,finally got to the table,and asked,"mr.munson,could i please have a second picture for my si....".that was as far as i got.he looked up and snarled at me,"get tot he end of the line,and i'll give you another ****in' picture,kid."i stood there for a second,then tore the pic in half,threw it in the table,and for the first time in my life:1-cussed out an adult,and 2:cussed in front of my dad.as i was walking across the lot to head home,i told my dad,"i'll never root for the yankees again-i'm a sox fan now!" and i've stuck with them ever since.so you see,it's not that tough to believe someone could be a giants-red sox fan is it?besides,from what i understand,because of the blackout laws in the 40's,50's,and 60's,the only football people saw during those times were the giants,causing a lot of us out there to exist.i'm sorry if my loyalties upset you,but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.(no sarcasm whatsoever).

Chaosist
06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Baseball......Americas most boring pastime</P>

Baseball may be America's pastime, but football is it's OBSESSION!!!</P>

Bluedude2
06-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Giants-Mets fan here.</P>

Come on, you see Met-giant fans all over the place</P>

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/060801/142249__birdcage_l.jpg</P>

Simms XXI
06-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Giants-Mets fan here, too.</P>

Gone are the days where people who lived in northern NYC and suburban areas are Giants/Yanks, and people from Brooklyn, Queens, and LI are Jets/Mets. Both NFL teams have moved and play in NJ. </P>

You'll probably end up being a fan of what you're father/parents were.</P>

TuckYou
06-15-2010, 06:57 PM
*</p>

*</p>

thank you for your defense,let me explain to tuck you....been a giants fan my whole life.was a yankee fan 'til i was 9 or 10.my took me to an autograph signing session at the grand opening of a gino's/kfc about 4 blocks from my house in south river,nj,at which my favorite player at the time,thurman munson,was appearing!yay!my little sister,who was sick at the time,loved thurman too,but couldn't get out of bed to go,asked me to get her a picture for her.after waiting on line for an hour and a half,finally got to the table,and asked,"mr.munson,could i please have a second picture for my si....".that was as far as i got.he looked up and snarled at me,"get tot he end of the line,and i'll give you another ****in' picture,kid."i stood there for a second,then tore the pic in half,threw it in the table,and for the first time in my life:1-cussed out an adult,and 2:cussed in front of my dad.as i was walking across the lot to head home,i told my dad,"i'll never root for the yankees again-i'm a sox fan now!" and i've stuck with them ever since.so you see,it's not that tough to believe someone could be a giants-red sox fan is it?besides,from what i understand,because of the blackout laws in the 40's,50's,and 60's,the only football people saw during those times were the giants,causing a lot of us out there to exist.i'm sorry if my loyalties upset you,but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.(no sarcasm whatsoever).

meh, should of rooted for the Mets then.

PhilaGiant83
06-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Giants-Mets fan here, too.</P>

Gone are the days where people who lived in northern NYC and suburban areas are Giants/Yanks, and people from Brooklyn, Queens, and LI are Jets/Mets.* Both NFL teams have moved and play in NJ.* </P>

You'll probably end up being a fan of what you're father/parents were.</P>

The Giants fanbase is pretty far spread out these days. They go all the way into Central NJ(Trenton, Hamilton, Lawrenceville, and Cranbury, Princeton, etc, etc). So it isn't uncommon to find a NY Giants fan in Mercer County, NJ. Arguing and yelling alongside the hated Eagles fanbase that lives in those regions.

rbcarpenter
06-15-2010, 09:26 PM
</p>

</p>

meh, should of rooted for the Mets then.nope,wanted to follow the yankees biggest rivals just so i could my express i hated of them as often as possible.[:P]

Faulkner
06-15-2010, 11:11 PM
<font size="5">And here we have it folks. On # 1 Giants forum in the world. Dumb *** Yankees, and Jets conversations.

Hey guy who made this thread who cares???????????</font>
</p>

I'll translate this for anyone who finds this morons font not big enough:</p>

"I NEED ATTENTION. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME."</p>

</p>

</p>

I'll translate this for everyone.

Hey guys I'm a moron who posted this idiotic insignificant thread topic in the Giants section. Get Lost.

Jack Robinson
06-16-2010, 01:20 AM
<FONT size=5>And here we have it folks. On # 1 Giants forum in the world. Dumb *** Yankees, and Jets conversations.

Hey guy who made this thread who cares???????????</FONT>
</P>

I'll translate this for anyone who finds this morons font not big enough:</P>

"I NEED ATTENTION. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME."</P>

</P>

</P>

I'll translate this for everyone.

Hey guys I'm a moron who posted this idiotic insignificant thread topic in the Giants section. Get Lost.
</P>

Hey jerkoff, nobody here seems to have a problem with the thread except you. Go find another pasttime beside playing Lone Troll in your mother's basement on a subject everyone else who contributed clearly believes is worth talking about.</P>

You are a little boy...and the amusing part is that your stupidity is for no goodreason whatsoever. </P>

But I can tell you one thing: you'll be a stupidlittle boy with a ban on your head if you keep on trolling. I don't mind reporting people who act like idiots because they're bored with life or think it's fun.</P>

</P>

</P>

Die-Hard
06-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Know what else will get someone banned? Attacking other board members

Stop. It's really not neccessary to get all bent out of shape over nothing

SweetZombieJesus
06-16-2010, 07:18 AM
I fall into the Giants-Yanks category (and my fanship came because of a few reasons -- first, my dad liked them both but my dad was a drifter who lost interest and hung on to the bumper of the bandwagon for a bit, a trait which my Mets-Jets brother shares. I found a baby picture of me in Mets gear recently, around their first glory days in their two WS appearances in 69-72. Second, my fanship went from semi-aware "yeah I'll watch 'em in big games but don't really care", e.g. sadly when the Giants won in 86 and the Mets in 86, to hard-core fan of the G-men and Yanks for the same reasons and traits -- for the G-Men the 1990 MNF game against the 49ers, even though a loss, put me at full throttle for the character the team showed, and for the Yanks, I liked the character of the team once they got O'Neil and Boggs to go with Mattingly in '94 the strike season, and then that battle against Seattle in 95, but the clincher was being down 0-2 to the mighty Braves in the WS, the character it took to hang in and battle back. The tenacity and scrappiness of that team locked me in.)

I don't know how much being in the "senior circuit" in each league plays into Giants-Mets. First, the Yankees are a far older team (1903 vs 1962). Second, are there really that many old fans who long for the old national league teams (Giants/Dodgers) that they latch onto the Mets to rep the NL? We're talking 1959.

That's actually the same reason I like the Knicks -- those battles against the Bulls and later the Heat, even though they never won a championship.

Sadly, I admit the Yanks-Jets fans exist. No idea why. They never shared a stadium, the franchises don't share any similar traits, the colors aren't similar (in fact, the Jets are the only NY team that aren't some variation of blue-orange or blue-white), they didn't win championships at the same time, they've never been good at the same time (other than 1999 when Yanks won WS and Jets made AFC CG, but the G-men made the Super Bowl the next year).

Maybe it's frustrated Jets fans trying to add a winner to the mix.

Maybe it's the ****iness in the jerky Yankee fans who are always running around bragging (I admit they exist but I'm not one of them) that's similar to the Jets fans, Namath's guarantee, Rex Ryan's nonsense, etc. Although at least the Yanks can back up the ****iness, the Jets can't.

SweetZombieJesus
06-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Baseball......Americas most boring pastime

The cure? MORE FOOTBALL PLEASE

<font color="#a9a9a9" size="1">although I tried to like Arena Football and World League and just couldn't.</font>

miken609
06-16-2010, 07:37 AM
</p>

</p>

So what if you were a Dodgers - Giants fans? When the Dodgers left are you going to suddenly start liking the Yankees in the 4 years and before the Mets got here. No, you're going to be sad for a couple of years and then be rejoiced when the Mets join the MLB and then you will root for them.

giantyankee1976
06-16-2010, 08:13 AM
my undertsanding is that Yankees-Trolley Dodgers and Yankees- (baseball) Giants were pretty big rivalries....

I had a convo with an older gentleman who was repping the Mets simultaneous with me in Yanks; from his mouth, he was a former Giants fan who hated the Yanks.

when the Giants and Dodgers deserted NYC, he absolutely refused to root for the Yanks and apparently there was a massive amount of this in the Boroughs.

So when the Metropolitans came along, as a NL team, and a alternative to the BX team; many people went in with them.

Of course with the exceptions of 69(?) and 85/86 the Mets fanbase have been a special breed of faithful.

You guys get the nod from me because your team at least, is the un-Cubs.....

SweetZombieJesus
06-16-2010, 09:02 AM
So what if you were a Dodgers - Giants fans? When the Dodgers left are you going to suddenly start liking the Yankees in the 4 years and before the Mets got here. No, you're going to be sad for a couple of years and then be rejoiced when the Mets join the MLB and then you will root for them.

If you're really a Dodger fan, keep following them. They didn't disband the team, they moved it.

If you're really a NY fan, why not jump ship to the Yankees, who were NY's only team for four years?

What do those half-hearted Met fans do when the Giants and Dodgers come to town?

my undertsanding is that Yankees-Trolley
Dodgers and Yankees- (baseball) Giants were pretty big rivalries....

The Yankees and Dodgers hooked up in the WS something like 10 times (including once they were in LA). The Yankees and Giants had a big rivalry early (the Yanks played in the Polo Grounds before Yankee Stadium and angered the older Giants owners by outdrawing the Giants in their own home). The Giants were the "upper-class" established team. The Yankees were upstarts but once Babe Ruth arrived they were a phenomenon... Closest we have to compare to is Jordan with the Bulls and that doesn't do it justice.

I
had a convo with an older gentleman who was repping the Mets
simultaneous with me in Yanks; from his mouth, he was a former Giants
fan who hated the Yanks.

when the Giants and Dodgers deserted
NYC, he absolutely refused to root for the Yanks and apparently there
was a massive amount of this in the Boroughs.

This may explain why the Mets and their fanbase are so concerned with a team that isn't even in their league let alone their division.

MattMeyerBud
06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
</p>

</p>

and as a Giant-Yankee fan, i also break my Yankee fan friends chops who like the Jets...

be a real ny fan [;)]

GIANTS - YANKS 2010 - LEBRON IN ORANGE

THE YEAR OF NY

Jack Robinson
06-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Know what else will get someone banned? Attacking other board members

Stop. It's really not neccessary to get all bent out of shape over nothing
</P>

It's almost amusing how you don't mention WHY one poster attacks another. </P>

Almost.</P>

It's called self-defense, DH. I don't appreciate being attacked for no reason at all. </P>

PS. please don't talk about getting bent out of shape for nothing. You are the king of doing that.</P>

</P>

Die-Hard
06-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Whatever you say, sport.

Another option would be to be the bigger person and simply ignore the attacks, rather than responding to them.

I'll take my own advice from now on. Follow the damn rules and you won't have to worry about what I'm doing. If you dont like the rules, go somewhere else. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.