PDA

View Full Version : Best QB's of all time - stats through 8 years

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 02:26 PM
One of my obsessive followers requested I take time out of my busy day to make this list....

Here is the list of QB stats through their first 8 years. I pulled the QB's who I consider to be the best in the past 40 years.

Lets start with our boy.... Eli Manning.

Eli 27,579 yards 185 TDS 129 INTS

Brady 26,364 yards 197 TDS 86 INTS

Peyton 33,239 yards 244 TDS 130 INTS

Brees 26,258 yards 168 TDS 99 INTS

Favre 26,803 yards 213 TDS 118 INTS

Elway 24,721 yards 135 TDS 128 INTS

Montana 21,498 yards 141 TDS 76 INTS

Marino 31,414 yards 241 TDS 136 INTS

Moon 27,679 yards 157 TDS 133 INTS

Troy 22,733 yards 110 TDS 98 INTS

Kelly 26,413 yards 179 TDS 126 INTS

Fouts 19,454 yards 112 TDS 125 INTS

Big Ben 26,579 yards 165 TDS 100 INTS

Rivers 24,285 yards 163 TDS 78 INTS

Steve Young - Literally did nothing his first 7 years, one bad season as the full time starter in Tampa. His whole career were years 8-14.

My take after analyzing the numbers. Keep in mind I analyzed a lot more than TDS, yards and INTS.

3 QBS in history have thrown for more yards than Eli through 8 seasons. Peyton, Marino, and Moon. Moon only by 100 yards and he started the whole season his rookie year. Peyton also started the whole season his rookie year. Also keep in mind that all 3 of these guys who threw for more yards, ALSO threw for more INTS during their first 8 years than Eli did. (even with Elis 25 last year, and even with all the nonsense talk that he throws way too many ints)

Just 4 QBS in history have thrown for more TDs in their first 8 years than Eli has. Peyton, Brady, Favre, and Marino. Brady only did so because he threw for 50 TDs in his 8th season.

Other notes from this list.... Alot of these QB's came into their own (stats wise) during season 8.

Most of these QBs didnt win their first super bowl until after year 8, that is if they ever won one at all.

When all is said and done, Eli will not only be at the top of every Giants passing record there is, but he will also be at the top or very close to the top of every major passing record in NFL history.

I would love to hear the haters response to this, because I have plenty of ammo left for the dumb responses I am about to hear. Especially after breaking down the stats and seeing what years these QB's really shined. There is a lot of talk about its a new NFL, but a lot of these QB's were putting up monster (madden like) numbers a long time ago...

burier
01-12-2012, 02:30 PM
One of my obsessive followers requested I take time out of my busy day to make this list....

Here is the list of QB stats through their first 8 years. I pulled the QB's who I consider to be the best in the past 40 years.

Lets start with our boy.... Eli Manning.

Eli 27,579 yards 185 TDS 129 INTS

Brady 26,364 yards 197 TDS 86 INTS

Peyton 33,239 yards 244 TDS 130 INTS

Brees 26,258 yards 168 TDS 99 INTS

Favre 26,803 yards 213 TDS 118 INTS

Elway 24,721 yards 135 TDS 128 INTS

Montana 21,498 yards 141 TDS 76 INTS

Marino 31,414 yards 241 TDS 136 INTS

Moon 27,679 yards 157 TDS 133 INTS

Troy 22,733 yards 110 TDS 98 INTS

Kelly 26,413 yards 179 TDS 126 INTS

Fouts 19,454 yards 112 TDS 125 INTS

Big Ben 26,579 yards 165 TDS 100 INTS

Rivers 24,285 yards 163 TDS 78 INTS

Steve Young - Literally did nothing his first 7 years, one bad season as the full time starter in Tampa. His whole career were years 8-14.

My take after analyzing the numbers. Keep in mind I analyzed a lot more than TDS, yards and INTS.

3 QBS in history have thrown for more yards than Eli through 8 seasons. Peyton, Marino, and Moon. Moon only by 100 yards and he started the whole season his rookie year. Peyton also started the whole season his rookie year. Also keep in mind that all 3 of these guys who threw for more yards, ALSO threw for more INTS during their first 8 years than Eli did. (even with Elis 25 last year, and even with all the nonsense talk that he throws way too many ints)

Just 4 QBS in history have thrown for more TDs in their first 8 years than Eli has. Peyton, Brady, Favre, and Marino. Brady only did so because he threw for 50 TDs in his 8th season.

Other notes from this list.... Alot of these QB's came into their own (stats wise) during season 8.

Most of these QBs didnt win their first super bowl until after year 8, that is if they ever won one at all.

When all is said and done, Eli will not only be at the top of every Giants passing record there is, but he will also be at the top or very close to the top of every major passing record in NFL history.

I would love to hear the haters response to this, because I have plenty of ammo left for the dumb responses I am about to hear. Especially after breaking down the stats and seeing what years these QB's really shined. There is a lot of talk about its a new NFL, but a lot of these QB's were putting up monster (madden like) numbers a long time ago...

But but but....decision making

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 02:38 PM
There is no way to justify any hating of Eli Manning after looking through this list....

We are talking about the BEST QBS OF ALL TIME! He is at the top of every category through 8 years of his career. With a chance of being on top of them all in the end... And people were actually talking about drafting a QB before this season started.

Do you not all see how dumb this is? Eli should be getting NOTHING BUT PRAISE... This is a QB driven league. Our QB is doing things that only a handful of QBs in history have done. He is also the most winning QB in the NFC during his time here. Obviously it makes sense that he is the most winning of any, thats because it takes a great QB to win in the NFL. Obviously it takes a lot of other pieces to the puzzle, but a great QB is a must. This hasnt changed, a great QB has always been a must. Look at the history of Super Bowl winners, 95% of the time they were led by an all time great at QB. Along with having a good team around him, but thats just obvious.

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I didnt even mention the fact that Eli is already a super bowl winner, a super bowl MVP!

That he owns the record for most passing TDs in the 4th quarter in a single season. Passed two of the all time greats in Unitas and Peyton (great company).

He is great in the clutch (this used to be how QBs were judged).

I mean I could go on and on. We are talking all time here! There have been close to 1000 starting QBs in the history of the NFL, maybe more....

burier
01-12-2012, 02:41 PM
There is no way to justify any hating of Eli Manning after looking through this list....

We are talking about the BEST QBS OF ALL TIME! He is at the top of every category through 8 years of his career. With a chance of being on top of them all in the end... And people were actually talking about drafting a QB before this season started.

Do you not all see how dumb this is? Eli should be getting NOTHING BUT PRAISE... This is a QB driven league. Our QB is doing things that only a handful of QBs in history have done. He is also the most winning QB in the NFC during his time here. Obviously it makes sense that he is the most winning of any, thats because it takes a great QB to win in the NFL. Obviously it takes a lot of other pieces to the puzzle, but a great QB is a must. This hasnt changed, a great QB has always been a must. Look at the history of Super Bowl winners, 95% of the time they were led by an all time great at QB. Along with having a good team around him, but thats just obvious.

preacher, choir.

I've been wrong before and I admit when I'm wrong. Some people don't have the gene and suffer from "I refuse to admit I don't know what I'm taking about syndrome"

Those people will steer very clear of this thread

qndarius3
01-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Don't get me wrong...I think Eli is one of the very best QB's in the league right now. He has the stats, but he also has the intangibles of leadership and poise(most of the time).

That being said, if he throws one more pass blindly into the air with his left hand I'm gonna throw my remote at the TV!!!

Cheers for the research...good stuff.

Gmen2005
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
I'd still like him to cut down on the Ints, but I'm very happy with him.

burier
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM

One thing about Elis is he is indeed a gunslinger. I bet a lot of Packers fans wish that Favre would have cut down on his INTs.

Elis always going to be a little risky with the ball. Its just his style of play. But what he is doing it weighing on the averages a little better and trying to play the numbers. I could see him throwing something like 13 next season.

Gmen2005
01-12-2012, 03:24 PM

One thing about Elis is he is indeed a gunslinger. I bet a lot of Packers fans wish that Favre would have cut down on his INTs.

Elis always going to be a little risky with the ball. Its just his style of play. But what he is doing it weighing on the averages a little better and trying to play the numbers. I could see him throwing something like 13 next season.

Very true. It's amazing how often he's taking a shot down field. Led the league with 18 40+ passes. had 67 20+ passes. As much as we complain about Gilbride, his offense takes some shots and has a lot of intermediate routes. I could definitely see him dropping his ints too next year.

nhpgiantsfan
01-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I didnt even mention the fact that Eli is already a super bowl winner, a super bowl MVP! That he owns the record for most passing TDs in the 4th quarter in a single season. Passed two of the all time greats in Unitas and Peyton (great company). He is great in the clutch (this used to be how QBs were judged). I mean I could go on and on. We are talking all time here! There have been close to 1000 starting QBs in the history of the NFL, maybe more....</P>

</P>

I love Eli and consider him one of the best in the league right now, and definately the best the Giants have ever had. However, the 4th quarter TD record should have an asteric next to it becasue Unitas never played a 16 game schedule.</P>

sg92
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Yards doesn't mean all that much, because the game has changed over the years, and some guys play in pass-happy systems while others do not. The TD to INT ratio is probably the most relevant measure of comparison. Eli's TD/INT ratio is pretty good but not as good as many on this list. (That's not a condemnation, considering that we're looking at a list of the most quarterbacks of the modern era.)

I did find a few things very interesting:

- John Elway's TD/INT ratio is bad by today's standards. Did he get a lot better later in his career, or do we remember him as being better than he was?
- Brett Favre's stats are quite good. He did so much damage to his reputation in recent years that I forgot how good he was. What an idiot.
- Eli's stats most closely compare to Jim Kelly. JK was kind of a gunslinger, and one of the best QB's around during his day, so maybe an appropriate comparison. Of course, Eli got it done in the big game.........

Morehead State
01-12-2012, 03:37 PM
One thing about Elis is he is indeed a gunslinger. I bet a lot of Packers fans wish that Favre would have cut down on his INTs. Elis always going to be a little risky with the ball. Its just his style of play. But what he is doing it weighing on the averages a little better and trying to play the numbers. I could see him throwing something like 13 next season.</P>

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!</P>

burier
01-12-2012, 03:42 PM
One thing about Elis is he is indeed a gunslinger. I bet a lot of Packers fans wish that Favre would have cut down on his INTs. Elis always going to be a little risky with the ball. Its just his style of play. But what he is doing it weighing on the averages a little better and trying to play the numbers. I could see him throwing something like 13 next season.</P>

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!</P>

Thanks for adding some insight to conversation.

GameTime
01-12-2012, 03:47 PM
wow...</P>

you guys really give a **** about this stuff dont you......</P>

oh well....</P>

without any stats I can tell you the Eli will be the best QB for the Giants and thats all that really matters.....</P>

</P>

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Yards doesn't mean all that much, because the game has changed over the years, and some guys play in pass-happy systems while others do not. The TD to INT ratio is probably the most relevant measure of comparison. Eli's TD/INT ratio is pretty good but not as good as many on this list. (That's not a condemnation, considering that we're looking at a list of the most quarterbacks of the modern era.)

- John Elway's TD/INT ratio is bad by today's standards. Did he get a lot better later in his career, or do we remember him as being better than he was?
- Brett Favre's stats are quite good. He did so much damage to his reputation in recent years that I forgot how good he was. What an idiot.
- Eli's stats most closely compare to Jim Kelly. JK was kind of a gunslinger, and one of the best QB's around during his day, so maybe an appropriate comparison. Of course, Eli got it done in the big game.........

Elway got much better after his 7th or 8th season... His last 7 or 8 years were when he really become great....

A lot of QB's really turned it on around year 8. Especially guys like Peyton, Brady, and some others. Like I said in the original post, Steve Young literally did nothing until his 8th year in the league, his whole reign as a good qb were during his 8th-14th years.

harrycarson
01-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't get me wrong...I think Eli is one of the very best QB's in the league right now. He has the stats, but he also has the intangibles of leadership and poise(most of the time).

That being said, if he throws one more pass blindly into the air with his left hand I'm gonna throw my remote at the TV!!!

Cheers for the research...good stuff.

" MOST OF THE TIME"...What do you mean by that? Is it the occasional head to the side or down when his 80 pass on the season got dropped?? That is not a bad leader, the bad part of that is NOT chewing their A__ when they got back to the huddle..IMO

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Jim Kelly also started every game his rookie year. He wasnt nearly as clutch as Eli (obviously).

The game really hasnt changed that much. I realize that more since breaking down each season every great QB in history has had.

People were having huge games and huge seasons a long long time ago. Its just very hard to do, and not many QBs can do it for a sustained amount of time. Systems change, players around them change, coaches change, etc etc etc. Every year has its own story and circumstances.

I think the only reason we are seeing a lot of huge numbers this year is because there happen to be a lot of great qbs in the league right now.

Brady and Peyton set the stage and were able to stay relatively healthy for a long time. Add to that the 2004 draft was maybe the best QB draft of all time with Eli, Rivers, and Ben.

Throw in Brees being one of the all time greats at picking apart a defense.

That put the pressure on the rest of the league to find and develope a guy and quick. The teams consistantly winning these days are primarily led by the guys above.

We just happen to be going through a stretch that has a lot of great QBs. It goes in waves.

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 04:31 PM
There isnt much else anyone should have to say then this....

Take the first 8 years of EVERY SINGLE QB IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL....

Eli is 4th all time in yards.

Eli is 3rd all time in TDs.

Eli won a super bowl and a super bowl MVP.

What more did you want???????

TuckYou
01-12-2012, 04:32 PM
You cant spellencephalomyelitides without Eli

GameTime
01-12-2012, 04:42 PM
There isnt much else anyone should have to say then this.... Take the first 8 years of EVERY SINGLE QB IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.... Eli is 4th all time in yards. Eli is 3rd all time in TDs. Eli won a super bowl and a super bowl MVP. What more did you want???????</P>

you know who doesnt care....</P>

Eli doesnt care. Maybe take his cue...</P>

</P>

GameTime
01-12-2012, 04:42 PM
There isnt much else anyone should have to say then this.... Take the first 8 years of EVERY SINGLE QB IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.... Eli is 4th all time in yards. Eli is 3rd all time in TDs. Eli won a super bowl and a super bowl MVP. What more did you want???????</P>

</P>

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 04:44 PM

*</P>

awww...... did this post bother you? poooooor guy.

someone requested I do this, so I did it.

I dont care either...

I only care about beating the Packers Sunday afternoon.

burier
01-12-2012, 04:46 PM

*</P>

You should have been around for the 7 year long bash fest that was going on to say the same thing.

gumby742
01-12-2012, 04:49 PM
One of my obsessive followers requested I take time out of my busy day to make this list.... Here is the list of QB stats through their first 8 years. I pulled the QB's who I consider to be the best in the past 40 years. Lets start with our boy.... Eli Manning. Eli 27,579 yards 185 TDS 129 INTS Brady 26,364 yards 197 TDS 86 INTS Peyton 33,239 yards 244 TDS 130 INTS Brees 26,258 yards 168 TDS 99 INTS Favre 26,803 yards 213 TDS 118 INTS Elway 24,721 yards 135 TDS 128 INTS Montana 21,498 yards 141 TDS 76 INTS Marino 31,414 yards 241 TDS 136 INTS Moon 27,679 yards 157 TDS 133 INTS Troy 22,733 yards 110 TDS 98 INTS Kelly 26,413 yards 179 TDS 126 INTS Fouts 19,454 yards 112 TDS 125 INTS Big Ben 26,579 yards 165 TDS 100 INTS Rivers 24,285 yards 163 TDS 78 INTS Steve Young - Literally did nothing his first 7 years, one bad season as the full time starter in Tampa. His whole career were years 8-14. My take after analyzing the numbers. Keep in mind I analyzed a lot more than TDS, yards and INTS. 3 QBS in history have thrown for more yards than Eli through 8 seasons. Peyton, Marino, and Moon. Moon only by 100 yards and he started the whole season his rookie year. Peyton also started the whole season his rookie year. Also keep in mind that all 3 of these guys who threw for more yards, ALSO threw for more INTS during their first 8 years than Eli did. (even with Elis 25 last year, and even with all the nonsense talk that he throws way too many ints) Just 4 QBS in history have thrown for more TDs in their first 8 years than Eli has. Peyton, Brady, Favre, and Marino. Brady only did so because he threw for 50 TDs in his 8th season. Other notes from this list.... Alot of these QB's came into their own (stats wise) during season 8. Most of these QBs didnt win their first super bowl until after year 8, that is if they ever won one at all. When all is said and done, Eli will not only be at the top of every Giants passing record there is, but he will also be at the top or very close to the top of every major passing record in NFL history. I would love to hear the haters response to this, because I have plenty of ammo left for the dumb responses I am about to hear. Especially after breaking down the stats and seeing what years these QB's really shined. There is a lot of talk about its a new NFL, but a lot of these QB's were putting up monster (madden like) numbers a long time ago...</P>

Comparing stats from different eras is like applies and oranges. </P>

Also, you need to normalize all of those stats per attempt. Saying player A passed for more yards then player B holds no water if player A passed the ball twice as much.</P>

Edit: AND if those old timers were already putting up monster numbers, that just goes to show how good they were.</P>

Herey ou go:</P>

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html</P>

G-Man67
01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
There isnt much else anyone should have to say then this....

Take the first 8 years of EVERY SINGLE QB IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL....

Eli is 4th all time in yards.

Eli is 3rd all time in TDs.

Eli won a super bowl and a super bowl MVP.

What more did you want???????

exactly, if you would have told everyone that we would end up with a QB from that famous draft that would be ranked that high, all-time through 8 years, every Giants fan would have given a kidney to make that happen and then you put the Super Bowl cherry on the Sundae and they'd probably give up their spleen as well

now, having said that, the league is certainly much different now then back in the 80s-early 90s and Eli does have too many INTs (altho he is in good company there as well), but please there really should be no debate anymore, we have a great QB ... check that box off each year

NYG 5
01-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Eli Manning is a gunslinger. If you think he isn't, look at when he drifted back and just flung it up there for Cruz in double coverage. Eli Manning says "**** it, I'm throwing the ball", and you sea it when he backfoots. Your typical passer tries to run away or will take the sack in those situations. Eli chucks the ball around with his left hand, passers don't do that.

Brett Favre did the same thing whe he was real good in the 90s. He just started getting really sloppy after those terrible playoff appearences started racking up, like he lost faith in what he was seeing. I hope that doesn't happen to Eli

fansince69
01-12-2012, 05:17 PM
One of my obsessive followers requested I take time out of my busy day to make this list.... Here is the list of QB stats through their first 8 years. I pulled the QB's who I consider to be the best in the past 40 years. Lets start with our boy.... Eli Manning. Eli 27,579 yards 185 TDS 129 INTS Brady 26,364 yards 197 TDS 86 INTS Peyton 33,239 yards 244 TDS 130 INTS Brees 26,258 yards 168 TDS 99 INTS Favre 26,803 yards 213 TDS 118 INTS Elway 24,721 yards 135 TDS 128 INTS Montana 21,498 yards 141 TDS 76 INTS Marino 31,414 yards 241 TDS 136 INTS Moon 27,679 yards 157 TDS 133 INTS Troy 22,733 yards 110 TDS 98 INTS Kelly 26,413 yards 179 TDS 126 INTS Fouts 19,454 yards 112 TDS 125 INTS Big Ben 26,579 yards 165 TDS 100 INTS Rivers 24,285 yards 163 TDS 78 INTS Steve Young - Literally did nothing his first 7 years, one bad season as the full time starter in Tampa. His whole career were years 8-14. My take after analyzing the numbers. Keep in mind I analyzed a lot more than TDS, yards and INTS. 3 QBS in history have thrown for more yards than Eli through 8 seasons. Peyton, Marino, and Moon. Moon only by 100 yards and he started the whole season his rookie year. Peyton also started the whole season his rookie year. Also keep in mind that all 3 of these guys who threw for more yards, ALSO threw for more INTS during their first 8 years than Eli did. (even with Elis 25 last year, and even with all the nonsense talk that he throws way too many ints) Just 4 QBS in history have thrown for more TDs in their first 8 years than Eli has. Peyton, Brady, Favre, and Marino. Brady only did so because he threw for 50 TDs in his 8th season. Other notes from this list.... Alot of these QB's came into their own (stats wise) during season 8. Most of these QBs didnt win their first super bowl until after year 8, that is if they ever won one at all. When all is said and done, Eli will not only be at the top of every Giants passing record there is, but he will also be at the top or very close to the top of every major passing record in NFL history. I would love to hear the haters response to this, because I have plenty of ammo left for the dumb responses I am about to hear. Especially after breaking down the stats and seeing what years these QB's really shined. There is a lot of talk about its a new NFL, but a lot of these QB's were putting up monster (madden like) numbers a long time ago...</p>

Comparing stats from different eras is like applies and oranges. </p>

Also, you need to normalize all of those stats per attempt. Saying player A passed for more yards then player B holds no water if player A passed the ball twice as much.</p>

Edit: AND if those old timers were already putting up monster numbers, that just goes to show how good they were.</p>

Herey ou go:</p>

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html</p>

Exactly...stats don't tell the whole story and whoever said the game hasn't changed that much must be 12....the difference between when Unitas and Starr played is way different than today...please don't be naive

There is NO WAY to say so and so is better than so and so that played 40 years ago,it is ridiculous if you are just going to quote stats....IT CAN NOT BE DONE

If common sense doesn't tell you that if one person in past has 5000 yards and all of a sudden in one season 4-5 guys do it...That the game has DIFFERENT RULES.and different styles .one obvious thing I see is years ago 20 passes in a game was a big passing day....Brees does that in a half..Or are you honestly thinking that all of the best qbs in history are playing right now?...be serious folks....that makes no sense

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 05:49 PM
One of my obsessive followers requested I take time out of my busy day to make this list.... Here is the list of QB stats through their first 8 years. I pulled the QB's who I consider to be the best in the past 40 years. Lets start with our boy.... Eli Manning. Eli 27,579 yards 185 TDS 129 INTS Brady 26,364 yards 197 TDS 86 INTS Peyton 33,239 yards 244 TDS 130 INTS Brees 26,258 yards 168 TDS 99 INTS Favre 26,803 yards 213 TDS 118 INTS Elway 24,721 yards 135 TDS 128 INTS Montana 21,498 yards 141 TDS 76 INTS Marino 31,414 yards 241 TDS 136 INTS Moon 27,679 yards 157 TDS 133 INTS Troy 22,733 yards 110 TDS 98 INTS Kelly 26,413 yards 179 TDS 126 INTS Fouts 19,454 yards 112 TDS 125 INTS Big Ben 26,579 yards 165 TDS 100 INTS Rivers 24,285 yards 163 TDS 78 INTS Steve Young - Literally did nothing his first 7 years, one bad season as the full time starter in Tampa. His whole career were years 8-14. My take after analyzing the numbers. Keep in mind I analyzed a lot more than TDS, yards and INTS. 3 QBS in history have thrown for more yards than Eli through 8 seasons. Peyton, Marino, and Moon. Moon only by 100 yards and he started the whole season his rookie year. Peyton also started the whole season his rookie year. Also keep in mind that all 3 of these guys who threw for more yards, ALSO threw for more INTS during their first 8 years than Eli did. (even with Elis 25 last year, and even with all the nonsense talk that he throws way too many ints) Just 4 QBS in history have thrown for more TDs in their first 8 years than Eli has. Peyton, Brady, Favre, and Marino. Brady only did so because he threw for 50 TDs in his 8th season. Other notes from this list.... Alot of these QB's came into their own (stats wise) during season 8. Most of these QBs didnt win their first super bowl until after year 8, that is if they ever won one at all. When all is said and done, Eli will not only be at the top of every Giants passing record there is, but he will also be at the top or very close to the top of every major passing record in NFL history. I would love to hear the haters response to this, because I have plenty of ammo left for the dumb responses I am about to hear. Especially after breaking down the stats and seeing what years these QB's really shined. There is a lot of talk about its a new NFL, but a lot of these QB's were putting up monster (madden like) numbers a long time ago...</P>

Comparing stats from different eras is like applies and oranges.* </P>

Also, you need to normalize all of those stats per attempt.* Saying player A passed for more yards then player B holds no water if player A passed the ball twice as much.</P>

Edit: AND if those old timers were already putting up monster numbers, that just goes to show how good they were.</P>

Herey ou go:</P>

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html</P>

So if thats how you want to play it fine... Lets play for a second...

If Eli would have thrown the same number of passes as Brees this year then he would have thrown for 5,519 yards this year. It would then be Eli and not Brees holding the single season passing record. Not to mention Brees had a top 5 run game in the league this year. We had the 32nd ranked run game....

So by this thought, Eli must have had a better season than Brees.... Right?

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 05:52 PM
One of my obsessive followers requested I take time out of my busy day to make this list.... Here is the list of QB stats through their first 8 years. I pulled the QB's who I consider to be the best in the past 40 years. Lets start with our boy.... Eli Manning. Eli 27,579 yards 185 TDS 129 INTS Brady 26,364 yards 197 TDS 86 INTS Peyton 33,239 yards 244 TDS 130 INTS Brees 26,258 yards 168 TDS 99 INTS Favre 26,803 yards 213 TDS 118 INTS Elway 24,721 yards 135 TDS 128 INTS Montana 21,498 yards 141 TDS 76 INTS Marino 31,414 yards 241 TDS 136 INTS Moon 27,679 yards 157 TDS 133 INTS Troy 22,733 yards 110 TDS 98 INTS Kelly 26,413 yards 179 TDS 126 INTS Fouts 19,454 yards 112 TDS 125 INTS Big Ben 26,579 yards 165 TDS 100 INTS Rivers 24,285 yards 163 TDS 78 INTS Steve Young - Literally did nothing his first 7 years, one bad season as the full time starter in Tampa. His whole career were years 8-14. My take after analyzing the numbers. Keep in mind I analyzed a lot more than TDS, yards and INTS. 3 QBS in history have thrown for more yards than Eli through 8 seasons. Peyton, Marino, and Moon. Moon only by 100 yards and he started the whole season his rookie year. Peyton also started the whole season his rookie year. Also keep in mind that all 3 of these guys who threw for more yards, ALSO threw for more INTS during their first 8 years than Eli did. (even with Elis 25 last year, and even with all the nonsense talk that he throws way too many ints) Just 4 QBS in history have thrown for more TDs in their first 8 years than Eli has. Peyton, Brady, Favre, and Marino. Brady only did so because he threw for 50 TDs in his 8th season. Other notes from this list.... Alot of these QB's came into their own (stats wise) during season 8. Most of these QBs didnt win their first super bowl until after year 8, that is if they ever won one at all. When all is said and done, Eli will not only be at the top of every Giants passing record there is, but he will also be at the top or very close to the top of every major passing record in NFL history. I would love to hear the haters response to this, because I have plenty of ammo left for the dumb responses I am about to hear. Especially after breaking down the stats and seeing what years these QB's really shined. There is a lot of talk about its a new NFL, but a lot of these QB's were putting up monster (madden like) numbers a long time ago...</p>

Comparing stats from different eras is like applies and oranges.* </p>

Also, you need to normalize all of those stats per attempt.* Saying player A passed for more yards then player B holds no water if player A passed the ball twice as much.</p>

Edit: AND if those old timers were already putting up monster numbers, that just goes to show how good they were.</p>

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html</p>

Exactly...stats don't tell the whole story and whoever said the game hasn't changed that much must be 12....the difference between when Unitas and Starr played is way different than today...please don't be naive

There is NO WAY to say so and so is better than so and so that played 40 years ago,it* is ridiculous if you are just going to quote stats....IT CAN NOT BE DONE

If common sense doesn't tell you that if one person in past has 5000 yards and all of a sudden in one season 4-5 guys do it...That the game has DIFFERENT RULES.and different styles .one obvious thing I see is years ago 20 passes in a game was a big passing day....Brees does that in a half..Or are you honestly thinking that all of the best qbs in history are playing right now?...be serious folks....that makes no sense

You have lost it.... Go do the same research I just did. Marino in the early 80s was doing the same thing... He did it in his second year playing.

There is a reason I didnt compare guys like Unitas (clearly things were different then).

But comparing the years Favre played vs the years Eli played... Sorry guys, there just isnt much difference.

Lastly, guys like Marino threw over 600 passes over 4 times in their career. Eli has never done that.

Let Eli throw the ball as much as Marino did and he will have better numbers.

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Also, you need to normalize all of those stats per attempt.* Saying player A passed for more yards then player B holds no water if player A passed the ball twice as much.</p>

There is NO WAY to say so and so is better than so and so that played 40 years ago,it* is ridiculous if you are just going to quote stats....IT CAN NOT BE DONE

every QB I compared played in the past 30 years. I wasnt going back to the Unitas days....

Just keep in mind.... In the HISTORY OF THE NFL... That includes all the current players in the league, and every other QB who ever played in the league. EVER, ALL TIME. Like thats it ALL TIME!!!!!!!

Eli through 8 seasons is....

#3 in TDS through 8 seasons

#4 in yards through 8 seasons

That includes EVERYONE! EVER! ALL ERAS! ALWAYS!

How dumb can some of you be??? Really, how dumb?

fansince69
01-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Also, you need to normalize all of those stats per attempt. Saying player A passed for more yards then player B holds no water if player A passed the ball twice as much.</p>

There is NO WAY to say so and so is better than so and so that played 40 years ago,it is ridiculous if you are just going to quote stats....IT CAN NOT BE DONE

every QB I compared played in the past 30 years. I wasnt going back to the Unitas days....

Just keep in mind.... In the HISTORY OF THE NFL... That includes all the current players in the league, and every other QB who ever played in the league. EVER, ALL TIME. Like thats it ALL TIME!!!!!!!

So we're dumb but you just don't get it.....if you really don't think the game has changes since the 80's then you must be like 12 ....I am not having this conversation unless you tell me you are at least talking about people you actually saw play.

STOP comparing people from different eras just using stats...it won't work...please just try to grasp that concept before you spout more stats

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:31 PM

So we're dumb but you just don't get it.....if you really don't think the game has changes since the 80's then you must be like 12 ....I am not having this conversation unless you tell me you are at least talking about people you actually saw play.

STOP comparing people from different eras just using stats...it won't work...please just try to grasp that concept before you spout more stats

Yes you are. I have seen every era of football. Nothing has changed. QB's still get shut down when a defense plays great. They still get punished and thrown off their game. They still have great games, they still have bad games. Scoring hasnt increased that much. And total yardage hasnt either.

Out of the QB's playing in todays game, only 4 or 5 of them will be close to the top of the all time lists. Eli, Peyton, Brees, Brady, and Ben.

It just so happens we have a lot of great QB's in the league right now. The game isnt much different then it was in 1980. Of course if you want to go back to the 50's then yes clearly the game has changed, but no more then every other sport.

fansince69
01-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Just to add to my last post...I am in no way saying that your picks for top qb s of all time is wrong....what I am saying is your way at arriving at that conclusion is flawed...Brees Peyton Eli and even Rodgers mat very well be the greatest qbs of all time....I am just saying you really can not prove it comparing stats...

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Forgive me for forgetting Rodgers. He too will be up there barring injuries.

That said, if you take the start of Peytons career and then go all the way through the end of Rodgers career, that will be about a 20-25 year gap. So it is isnt that out of the ordinary to have 5-8 great QB's during that long of a stretch.

fansince69
01-12-2012, 06:36 PM

Yes you are. I have seen every era of football. Nothing has changed. QB's still get shut down when a defense plays great. They still get punished and thrown off their game. They still have great games, they still have bad games. Scoring hasnt increased that much. And total yardage hasnt either.

Out of the QB's playing in todays game, only 4 or 5 of them will be close to the top of the all time lists. Eli, Peyton, Brees, Brady, and Ben.

It just so happens we have a lot of great QB's in the league right now. The game isnt much different then it was in 1980. Of course if you want to go back to the 50's then yes clearly the game has changed, but no more then every other sport.

yes the game has changed alot since even the 80s....are you old enough to have watched the 90 super bowl Giants -Bills?....I am not trying to argue...I am just going to show you how the game has changed

gmen0820
01-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Some of you guys are such cultists of Eli. Seriously, no one is worried about Eli anymore, or justifiably so.

Seriously, you didn't have anything other better to do then compare Eli to every QB of the past 30 some years. LOL

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:38 PM
And I purposely only compared QB's who started their careers in 1980 or beyond. The game hasnt changed THAT much in the last 30 years....

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Some of you guys are such cultists of Eli. Seriously, no one is worried about Eli anymore, or justifiably so.

Seriously, you didn't have anything other better to do then compare Eli to every QB of the past 30 some years. LOL

I do a ton in a day. You would be amazed....

The only reason I did this was because some other poster requested I do it. I told him I would and like to consider myself a man of my word.

Truth is, I personally think I know more about football than 90% of the posters on this board. (thats being nice) I also could care less what everyone else on here thinks, of course there are a lot of great posters on here, but I dont care at all what you think...

I know where I rate Eli and thats all that matters.

All I care about is that we are the most winning team in the NFC the next 100 years like we have been the last 8 years.

And I care about the game Sunday, and I hope to God we win it all this year. I think we have a legit chance....

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:42 PM

yes the game has changed alot since even the 80s....are you old enough to have watched the 90 super bowl Giants -Bills?....I am not trying to argue...I am just going to show you how the game has changed

Yes I am and I have rewatched it at least 5 times in my life. The game has not changed that much since 1990.

fansince69
01-12-2012, 06:42 PM
And I purposely only compared QB's who started their careers in 1980 or beyond. The game hasnt changed THAT much in the last 30 years....

Yes I am sure you are right....the nfl has in no way passed all kinds of rules to increase offense...guessed that kind of escaped you

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
QB's are just flat out better now IMO.

That will change back again eventually.

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:47 PM

Yes I am sure you are right....the nfl has in no way passed all kinds of rules to increase offense...guessed that kind of escaped you

Please explain the rule changes and how they directly effect the passing game so exponentially?

I would love to hear your take on this....

fansince69
01-12-2012, 06:50 PM

Yes I am and I have rewatched it at least 5 times in my life. The game has not changed that much since 1990.

Ok then if it hasn't changed explain what we did to Andre Reed in that game.......every time he came across the middle we hit him....over and over....by time game was over he was scared to death to reach for a pass....there is NO way a defense can do to a receiver what we did to him that day....NO WAY....flags would fly ....fines would be given....guys would be suspended....if you do not agree with that you really are blind

Ever heard of or better yet seen Ronnie Lott play?...No way in today's game he does what he used to do...

These are just a couple of examples....If you do not agree then I am sorry.Game has changed alot...and I think if you truly dig into the overall stats of the game since you like them so much...youll see the trend in games has gone from running and defense to wide open offense..Can some of it be the difference in players? ...sure....But it has just as much to do with the way the game has changed

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
And if you really think it has changed so much.... Then forget about all the QB's that started their career before 2000.

In that case.... You ready for this????

Eli is #1 in yards and #1 in TDS.

AND tied for 2nd in Super Bowl Wins and tied for 1st in SB MVPS....

Thoughts?

I guess thats even more impressive, Eli has been the best of anyone in this pass happy era....

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
So you really think the reason QB's stats are so much better is because receivers are less scared to go over the middle?

And I am the one that is ridiculous....

Again, fine, only compare QB's that started their career after 2000.. In that case, NOBODY has had a better first 8 years than Eli when it comes to yards and tds....

fansince69
01-12-2012, 06:58 PM
And if you really think it has changed so much.... Then forget about all the QB's that started their career before 2000.

In that case.... You ready for this????

Eli is #1 in yards and #1 in TDS.

AND tied for 2nd in Super Bowl Wins and tied for 1st in SB MVPS....

Thoughts?

I guess thats even more impressive, Eli has been the best of anyone in this pass happy era....

You are totally misjudging me...I have ALWAYS been a huge fan of Eli I used to get so pissed on here to hear the disrespect he gets till this year .....

I am just trying to tell you stats don't always tell the story and it is very difficult if not impossible to compare players from different times with stats...in any sport......But i agree I love Eli and hope he takes us to 10 more super bowls

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Again to all those ERA lovers....

QB's all time through first 8 years....

Eli is

#4 in yards

#3 in TDS

Thats all time.... Now to QB's who started their career after 2000.. Through the first 8 years of their career....

Eli is #1 in passing yards

#1 in TDS

#1 in Super Bowl MVPs

Any questions ladies?

Now lets go beat the Packers and hopefully enjoy another ride of a lifetime.

giantman8493
01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
It is easier to pass today but not by that much. Defense has also gotten much more athletic.

gmen0820
01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
but I dont care at all what you think...
I wouldn't either. You think you're in the tenth percentile (being nice of course) and I think you are an Eli cultist.

IMO, the only thing 90% about you is how many posts you type that are about Eli.

fansince69
01-12-2012, 07:06 PM
It is easier to pass today but not by that much. Defense has also gotten much more athletic.

Even if it isn't that much easier...teams pass more today than ever before...just the way the game has evolved

speedman
01-12-2012, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't either. You think you're in the tenth percentile (being nice of course) and I think you are an Eli cultist.

IMO, the only thing 90% about you is how many posts you type that are about Eli.If he's an Eli cultist maybe we all should be. Those stats are pretty impressive.

BornLegend
01-12-2012, 07:13 PM
If anybody still has doubts about Eli they should go find a new team to root for. None of you guys have to draw up and compare stats to prove a point, Eli already proved it on the field.

gmen0820
01-12-2012, 07:15 PM
If anybody still has doubts about Eli they should go find a new team to root for. None of you guys have to draw up and compare stats to prove a point, Eli already proved it on the field.+1

jomo
01-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Again to all those ERA lovers.... QB's all time through first 8 years.... Eli is #4 in yards #3 in TDS Thats all time.... Now to QB's who started their career after 2000.. Through the first 8 years of their career.... Eli is #1 in passing yards #1 in TDS #1 in Super Bowl MVPs Any questions ladies? Now lets go beat the Packers and hopefully enjoy another ride of a lifetime.It is very tough to compare across different eras expecially quarterbacks. Sometimes it is tough to compare across just a half decade. Consider the Sanchez supporters who are comparing his numbers with Eli's in his first 3 years. Do you think the pass happy league we have today was in place when Eli was drafted? I am ahuge Eli fan but numbers often mislead.

fansince69
01-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Again to all those ERA lovers.... QB's all time through first 8 years.... Eli is #4 in yards #3 in TDS Thats all time.... Now to QB's who started their career after 2000.. Through the first 8 years of their career.... Eli is #1 in passing yards #1 in TDS #1 in Super Bowl MVPs Any questions ladies? Now lets go beat the Packers and hopefully enjoy another ride of a lifetime.It is very tough to compare across different eras expecially quarterbacks. Sometimes it is tough to compare across just a half decade. Consider the Sanchez supporters who are comparing his numbers with Eli's in his first 3 years. Do you think the pass happy league we have today was in place when Eli was drafted? I am ahuge Eli fan but numbers often mislead.

This is what I have been trying to say without much luck

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Again to all those ERA lovers.... QB's all time through first 8 years.... Eli is #4 in yards #3 in TDS Thats all time.... Now to QB's who started their career after 2000.. Through the first 8 years of their career.... Eli is #1 in passing yards #1 in TDS #1 in Super Bowl MVPs Any questions ladies? Now lets go beat the Packers and hopefully enjoy another ride of a lifetime.It is very tough to compare across different eras expecially quarterbacks. Sometimes it is tough to compare across just a half decade. Consider the Sanchez supporters who are comparing his numbers with Eli's in his first 3 years. Do you think the pass happy league we have today was in place when Eli was drafted? I am a*huge Eli fan but numbers often mislead.

Clearly I understand what you are both saying.... And I DEFINITELY agree that stats from one year are VERY misleading often times. However stats from 8 years are not quite so misleading....

Regardless, all of this has ZERO to do with the original post. The original post was clear, precise, fair, and telling...

fansince69
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Clearly I understand what you are both saying.... And I DEFINITELY agree that stats from one year are VERY misleading often times. However stats from 8 years are not quite so misleading....

Regardless, all of this has ZERO to do with the original post. The original post was clear, precise, fair, and telling...
back to square one and you still don't follow...I am done...GO ELI&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;GO GIANTS

GameTime
01-12-2012, 07:25 PM

</P>

awww...... did this post bother you? poooooor guy. someone requested I do this, so I did it. I dont care either... I only care about beating the Packers Sunday afternoon.</P>

nah....the only thing that bothers me is the constant whining by the "Eli is the best" group and everyone else.</P>

You girls make for some entertaning posts but it gets out of control eventually...always turns into a ***** fest.....</P>

</P>

</P>

nycsportzfan
01-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Everybodys careers diffrent. Who cares what there numbers are through there first 8yrs? Does that help u put ELI in a category of best QB's ever or something? As u said Steve Young took alot longer to get his first true gig and guys like Tom Brady weren't starting from day 1 and so on and so fourth. Sure if the criteria is numbers through your first 8seasons he could be in the arguement but unfortunetly its not. Eli is not a best QB ever just because hes got comparable numbers to a few good qbs through threre first 8yrs. Peytons got like 3seasons worth of TD's more then ELI and he started from day 1. Those are the guys u compare the guys who actually started from day 1 not the guys who didn't. That dosen't even make sense lol

nycsportzfan
01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
If anybody still has doubts about Eli they should go find a new team to root for. None of you guys have to draw up and compare stats to prove a point, Eli already proved it on the field.+1 The funny part is no one ever doubted ELI to begin with...lol Just about everyone who so called "doubted him" just don't put him in that ELITE category of QB which i feel is held to very few qb's which as of now only inclued Aaron Rodgers Drew Brees and Tom Brady.. Sure hes closer to that group this season because of how good hes played but overall I don't think one season changes everything. Hes having one of his best yrs ever for godsake! OUtside of this season hes been a "very solid" qb who makes a ton of shoddy decisons and now hes stepped up and is having a career season. I've always thought he was a Solid QB I just never thought he was ELITE and it takes more then 1 career season to change my mind

fansince69
01-12-2012, 07:48 PM
If anybody still has doubts about Eli they should go find a new team to root for. None of you guys have to draw up and compare stats to prove a point, Eli already proved it on the field.+1 The funny part is no one ever doubted ELI to begin with...lol Just about everyone who so called "doubted him" just don't put him in that ELITE category of QB which i feel is held to very few qb's which as of now only inclued Aaron Rodgers Drew Brees and Tom Brady.. Sure hes closer to that group this season because of how good hes played but overall I don't think one season changes everything. Hes having one of his best yrs ever for godsake! OUtside of this season hes been a "very solid" qb who makes a ton of shoddy decisons and now hes stepped up and is having a career season. I've always thought he was a Solid QB I just never thought he was ELITE and it takes more then 1 career season to change my mind

Fair enough

lovetohatetheeagles
01-12-2012, 07:53 PM
NoHuddle10.... This is awesome work and the stats CLEARLY speak for themselves.

It's surprising how many people are giving you a hard time over this. The nitpicking is really shocking.

Why does it matter that "this is a different era" or whatever? So what that it is?

Are these guys even GIANT fans? I could understand a Marino or Montana fan saying these things, okay you have to defend you turf...

BUT A GIANTS FAN SHOULD BE PUMPED UP TO SEE THESE.... FACTS!!

After all... ALL TIME MEANS... AAAALLLLL TTTIIIIMMMMEEEE!!!!!!

(And that's HUGE no matter what era.)

lovetohatetheeagles
01-12-2012, 07:54 PM
And of course your point, which seems to be missed by SO MANY, is that there is a lot to look forward to with Eli at the helm as he "potentially" develops into one of the greatest QBs of ALL TIME!

fansince69
01-12-2012, 07:56 PM
And of course your point, which seems to be missed by SO MANY, is that there is a lot to look forward to with Eli at the helm as he "potentially" develops into one of the greatest QBs of ALL TIME!

Are we really Giant fans?please....

gmen0820
01-12-2012, 08:16 PM
If anybody still has doubts about Eli they should go find a new team to root for. None of you guys have to draw up and compare stats to prove a point, Eli already proved it on the field.+1* The funny part is no one ever doubted ELI to begin with...lol* Just about everyone who so called* "doubted him"* just don't put him in that ELITE category of QB which i feel is held to* very few* qb's*** which as of now only inclued* Aaron Rodgers** Drew Brees and Tom Brady..** Sure hes closer to that group* this season because of how good hes played**** but overall** I don't think one season changes everything.* Hes having one of his best yrs ever for godsake!* OUtside of this season*** hes been a "very solid" qb* who makes a ton of shoddy decisons and now hes stepped up and is having a career season.*** I've always thought he was a Solid QB**** I just never thought he was ELITE and it takes more then 1 career season to change my mindExactly. I don't think more then ten posters on this board didn't have Eli in their top 10.

Eli has always been top 10. This year he has made a jump, probably into top 5 (subjective, but my POV on it).

gumby742
01-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Again to all those ERA lovers....

QB's all time through first 8 years....

Eli is

#4 in yards

#3 in TDS

Thats all time.... Now to QB's who started their career after 2000.. Through the first 8 years of their career....

Eli is #1 in passing yards

#1 in TDS

#1 in Super Bowl MVPs

Any questions ladies?

Now lets go beat the Packers and hopefully enjoy another ride of a lifetime.

Again, normalize it PER ATTEMPT. I'll tell you right now that Eli is far, far behind Ben and Rivers. I'll guarantee you that.

Edit: Ok. So Eli has roughly 900 more attempts then Rivers and 600 more then Ben. That's anywhere from 1-2 years worth of attempts.

Like I said, don't play the stats game with Eli because you won't win.

gumby742
01-12-2012, 09:29 PM

You've seen every era of football? You said you were 26 just a few weeks ago.

gumby742
01-12-2012, 09:33 PM

IMO, the only thing 90% about you is how many posts you type that are about Eli.

Although, you can't be too hard on the guy. burier and robcarpenter make him seem sane.

RobCarpenter
01-12-2012, 09:35 PM
NoHuddle10.... This is awesome work and the stats CLEARLY speak for themselves. It's surprising how many people are giving you a hard time over this. The nitpicking is really shocking. Why does it matter that "this is a different era" or whatever? So what that it is? Are these guys even GIANT fans? I could understand a Marino or Montana fan saying these things, okay you have to defend you turf... BUT A GIANTS FAN SHOULD BE PUMPED UP TO SEE THESE.... FACTS!! After all... ALL TIME MEANS... AAAALLLLL TTTIIIIMMMMEEEE!!!!!! (And that's HUGE no matter what era.)</P>

+1 </P>

Great work No Huddle and I definitely agree with lovetohatetheeagles. </P>

fansince69
01-12-2012, 09:39 PM

Although, you can't be too hard on the guy. burier and robcarpenter make him seem sane.

You mean I'm trying to be logical with mentally insane?No wonder I was not getting any where

RobCarpenter
01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
but I dont care at all what you think... I wouldn't either. You think you're in the tenth percentile (being nice of course) and I think you are an Eli cultist. IMO, the only thing 90% about you is how many posts you type that are about Eli. Although, you can't be too hard on the guy. burier and robcarpenter make him seem sane.</P>

Haha, wake me up when you get a clue.</P>

Hey and remember, I'm Gumby dammit!</P>

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 10:33 PM
I really dont understand how you can argue this.

8 years of playing qb in the nfl. Every QB to ever play. Only 3 qbs threw for more yards and only 2 qbs threw for more touchdowns through 8 seasons. if you cant just flat out admit thats pretty dam incredible, then you are just purely hating.

EDIT***** 4 QBs threw for more TDs through 8 seasons... not 2. long day..

it is really simple. the original post was all facts. say what you want about them.

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM

You've seen every era of football? You said you were 26 just a few weeks ago.

I played football my whole life. I have watched so many games from each era. I have a big family consisting of a lot of football players. I happen to be close friends with a good number of people who play, played, are related to someone who plays or played, or coaches in the NFL. I have watched countless games from each era, and i have done it more recently than you have, i can almost guarantee that.

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 10:42 PM
NoHuddle10.... This is awesome work and the stats CLEARLY speak for themselves.

It's surprising how many people are giving you a hard time over this. The nitpicking is really shocking.

Why does it matter that "this is a different era" or whatever? So what that it is?

Are these guys even GIANT fans? I could understand a Marino or Montana fan saying these things, okay you have to defend you turf...

BUT A GIANTS FAN SHOULD BE PUMPED UP TO SEE THESE.... FACTS!!

After all... ALL TIME MEANS... AAAALLLLL TTTIIIIMMMMEEEE!!!!!!

(And that's HUGE no matter what era.)

Thanks man. I mean if we had a running back right now that had rushed for the third most yards through 8 season of all time, or when jpp is here 8 seasons and is 3rd all time in sacks or tackles for a d end, I will back him the same.

NTM QB is definitely the most important position in the game, and we have one of the best of all time on our hands.... People just need to learn to appreciate. I have said since the beginning time will tell all, the story is only half over.

cheers to what lies ahead! GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NoHuddle10
01-12-2012, 10:45 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

Tony Bruno
01-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Just as figured... Tom Brady is the best... Then Montana

Tuffy44
01-12-2012, 11:24 PM
this is some good fap material for the Eli crowd.

BornLegend
01-12-2012, 11:43 PM
If anybody still has doubts about Eli they should go find a new team to root for. None of you guys have to draw up and compare stats to prove a point, Eli already proved it on the field.+1* The funny part is no one ever doubted ELI to begin with...lol* Just about everyone who so called* "doubted him"* just don't put him in that ELITE category of QB which i feel is held to* very few* qb's*** which as of now only inclued* Aaron Rodgers** Drew Brees and Tom Brady..** Sure hes closer to that group* this season because of how good hes played**** but overall** I don't think one season changes everything.* Hes having one of his best yrs ever for godsake!* OUtside of this season*** hes been a "very solid" qb* who makes a ton of shoddy decisons and now hes stepped up and is having a career season.*** I've always thought he was a Solid QB**** I just never thought he was ELITE and it takes more then 1 career season to change my mindHonestly, I doubted him and after that losing streak to the Eagles, that fumble without being touched and that embarrassing loss at Metlife followed by that 4 int game at Lambeau... I was DONE with these players and coaches on this team. I was just about ready to start scouting for another team to root for.

Then the preseason starts and they come out looking flatter than a pancake and then had the nerve to lose to the bum *** Skins on opening day.....AWWW MAN, I was pissed! I stuck with em though and thankfully so, we managed to make the playoffs riding on the back of Eli.

I'm passionate about the Giants... the whole team, I'm not some wacked out Eli fanatic. No player on this team escapes criticism in my book. I call it how I see it and I'm gonna continue to do so.

DEgiants89
01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
beautiful bro!! GIVE ME ALL THE AMMO...I can use it in the field xD

BornLegend
01-13-2012, 12:02 AM
beautiful bro!! GIVE ME ALL THE AMMO...I can use it in the field xD??? I wasn't dissing Eli, I'm just explaining how I felt when the season started. Use it on the field? Is this Eli? Lol

lawl
01-13-2012, 01:21 AM

Rivers didnt start his first two years in the league...</P>

I think it's absolutely amusing that you dont think the game has changed all the much. Then when you tried to explain the increase in stats from last year one of your reasonswas the kickofff rule change. Think about that one for a second. Or maybe a few hours in your case.</P>

Because of rule changes WRs are no longer afraid of crossing the middle.</P>

Because of new college recruiting, more and more higher echelon athletes are playing skill positions on offense instead of defense.</P>

in 2011, 10 quarterbacks threw for over 4000 yards, 3 of which threw for over 5000.</P>

in 2000, 3 QBs went for over 4000 yards. (elvis grbac was one of them)</P>

in 1990, just 1.</P>

Nope, no change here folks, everything is status quo.</P>

Eli looks well in this test because he's never missed a game. And I am by no means holding that against him. On that same note, Matt Ryan is on pace to beat every one of Eli's statlines in his 8th year, Cam Newton of course is too. Joe Flacco is on pace to demolish eli's ints, on pace to pass him in yardage, while he falls short on TDs. These three guys if you double(8x for cam)their current numbers will all do what Eli has done. THE MAJOR diffence is that these guys are going to get better, not worse, and their numbers should shatter Eli's. </P>

How about dirty Sanchez? As awful as has been, if he maintains his career average...meaning we're assuming mark doesnt get any better(which is obviously a dumb assumption but it works in your favor for this case) he will still put up more TDs when his 8th year comes around he will have put up more TDs than Fouts Troy Montana and Elway as well as more yardage than Rivers, Fouts Troy and Montana. AND THATS ASSUMING HE DOESNT GET ANY BETTER THAN HIS FIRST THREE YEARS STARTING.</P>

But, you're right. The game hasn't changed.</P>

</P>

You think you're in the top 10% of this forum when it comes to football knowledge? Too funny.Try bottom 1%.</P>

</P>

</P>

NoHuddle10
01-13-2012, 01:33 AM

I think it's absolutely amusing that you dont think the game has changed all the much. Then when you tried to explain the increase in stats from last year one of your reasons**was the kickofff rule change. Think about that one for a second. Or maybe a few hours in your case.</P>

Because of new college recruiting, more and more higher echelon athletes are playing skill positions on offense instead of defense.</P>

in 2011, 10 quarterbacks threw for over 4000 yards, 3 of which threw for over 5000.</P>

in 1990, just 1.</P>

Eli looks well in this test because he's never missed a game. And I am by no means holding that against him. On that same note, Matt Ryan is on pace to beat every one of Eli's statlines in his 8th year, Cam Newton of course is too. Joe Flacco is on pace to demolish eli's ints, on pace to pass him in yardage, while he falls short on TDs. These three guys if you double(8x for cam)*their current numbers will all do what Eli has done. THE MAJOR diffence is that these guys are going to get better, not worse, and their numbers should shatter Eli's. Do I think any of these guys are better than Eli right now? Nope. </P>

*But, you're right. The game hasn't changed.</P>

*</P>

You think you're in the top 10% of this forum when it comes to football knowledge? Too funny.*Try bottom 1%</P>

*</P>

*</P>

Lets see if Ryan, Cam, and Flacco top him then.... Yes, I dont even think 10% of posters on this board have ever even played in a football game. Including you.

djlumen
01-13-2012, 01:34 AM
There are two stats I would love to see added to this list for comparison;
1) # of catchable passes that were dropped

2) either the % or actual number of the interceptions that were a result of tipped passes(either at the LOS or off the receivers hands).

I realize that every QB has tipped passes and drops but for some reason the Giants WR's can never catch a pass that hits them in the hands in stride while running a post or slant or smack dab in the middle of their chest on a dig or comeback route (they have no problem catching one while leaping 5 feet in the air with a CB mugging them and pinning the ball between their helmet and hand of course).

It's typical to see a Giants WR running all alone after burning the DB's, Eli throwing up a perfect spiral that comes floating down right into the WR's hands and through those same hands leaving a football rolling along all by its lonesome on the turf. Leaving me and every other Giants fan screaming at the TV or staring in quiet disbelief at another dropped pass. The only saving grace is that for the most part these seemingly catchable passes are followed up by a seemingly impossible circus catch the WR's manage make look rather routine and easy.

I tried searching for Eli's career stats for tipped passes that ended as INT's the best I could find was in 2010 of his 25 INT's 10 were the result tipped or dropped passes. So that's 40% for that year and even if you said that was the high mark and maybe 20% for a low years average and I would venture a guess at around 30% for a career average. As far as how that compares to the other QB's on the list I have no clue and leave that to someone with more time and with better research skills to find that out. The one thing I did notice was the Giants have been at the top of the list for team total for dropped passes which is nothing to brag about.

I think Eli is finally starting to get the respect he deserves and if the Giants can beat the Packers this Sunday that will go a long way to making the Eli doubters reexamine their opinion on where he ranks in comparison to his contemporaries at the very least. To measure where Eli stands in comparison all-time i'll leave that for when his career is over and done.

lawl
01-13-2012, 01:38 AM

I think it's absolutely amusing that you dont think the game has changed all the much. Then when you tried to explain the increase in stats from last year one of your reasonswas the kickofff rule change. Think about that one for a second. Or maybe a few hours in your case.</P>

in 1990, just 1.</P>

Eli looks well in this test because he's never missed a game. And I am by no means holding that against him. On that same note, Matt Ryan is on pace to beat every one of Eli's statlines in his 8th year, Cam Newton of course is too. Joe Flacco is on pace to demolish eli's ints, on pace to pass him in yardage, while he falls short on TDs. These three guys if you double(8x for cam)their current numbers will all do what Eli has done. THE MAJOR diffence is that these guys are going to get better, not worse, and their numbers should shatter Eli's. Do I think any of these guys are better than Eli right now? Nope. </P>

</P>

You think you're in the top 10% of this forum when it comes to football knowledge? Too funny.Try bottom 1%</P>

</P>

</P>

Lets see if Ryan, Cam, and Flacco top him then.... Yes, I dont even think 10% of posters on this board have ever even played in a football game. Including you.</P>

NFL players have and they didnt vote Eli into the top 100 players this past year.</P>

For the past 3 years NFL players have voted Eli as one of the most overrated players in the league.</P>

Tiki, an NFL player for years, said when Eli would talk it was comical.</P>

Steve Young for years has bad mouthed Eli.</P>

Football players aren't known to be of the highest intelligence. Having played football doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Because if it did, boy. Good Luck explaining everything I just brought up.</P>

</P>

BornLegend
01-13-2012, 01:40 AM

I think it's absolutely amusing that you dont think the game has changed all the much. Then when you tried to explain the increase in stats from last year one of your reasons**was the kickofff rule change. Think about that one for a second. Or maybe a few hours in your case.</P>

in 1990, just 1.</P>

Eli looks well in this test because he's never missed a game. And I am by no means holding that against him. On that same note, Matt Ryan is on pace to beat every one of Eli's statlines in his 8th year, Cam Newton of course is too. Joe Flacco is on pace to demolish eli's ints, on pace to pass him in yardage, while he falls short on TDs. These three guys if you double(8x for cam)*their current numbers will all do what Eli has done. THE MAJOR diffence is that these guys are going to get better, not worse, and their numbers should shatter Eli's. Do I think any of these guys are better than Eli right now? Nope. </P>

*</P>

You think you're in the top 10% of this forum when it comes to football knowledge? Too funny.*Try bottom 1%</P>

*</P>

*</P>

Lets see if Ryan, Cam, and Flacco top him then.... Yes, I dont even think 10% of posters on this board have ever even played in a football game. Including you.I don't know about Flacco or Ryan but Cam broke Peyton's rookie record and threw less INT's in the process. If he improves and stays hungry (which I think he will so he can obtain that 100 million dollar contract) sky's the limit for him.

lawl
01-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Also, I editted it.</P>

Even awful Mark Sanchez is on pace for more yards and TDs than Joe Montana(amongst others)</P>

NoHuddle10
01-13-2012, 01:43 AM

in 1990, just 1.</P>

*</P>

*</P>

*</P>

Lets see if Ryan, Cam, and Flacco top him then.... Yes, I dont even think 10% of posters on this board have ever even played in a football game. Including you.</P>

NFL players have and they didnt vote Eli into the top 100 players this past year.</P>

For the past 3 years NFL players have voted Eli as one of the most overrated players in the league.</P>

Football players aren't known to be of the highest intelligence. Having played football doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Because if it did, boy. Good Luck explaining everything I just brought up.</P>

*</P>

When did I say you have to be a former NFL player to know about a team? When did I say all football players are smart? When did I say most NFL players are smart or anything close to it?

lawl
01-13-2012, 01:47 AM

in 1990, just 1.</P>

Eli looks well in this test because he's never missed a game. And I am by no means holding that against him. On that same note, Matt Ryan is on pace to beat every one of Eli's statlines in his 8th year, Cam Newton of course is too. Joe Flacco is on pace to demolish eli's ints, on pace to pass him in yardage, while he falls short on TDs. These three guys if you double(8x for cam)their current numbers will all do what Eli has done. THE MAJOR diffence is that these guys are going to get better, not worse, and their numbers should shatter Eli's. Do I think any of these guys are better than Eli right now? Nope. </P>

</P>

You think you're in the top 10% of this forum when it comes to football knowledge? Too funny.Try bottom 1%</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

When did I say you have to be a former NFL player to know about a team? When did I say all football players are smart? When did I say most NFL players are smart or anything close to it?</P>

You insinuated that having played football matters to this discussion when in actuality it has absolutely no bearing. You completely dodged a vast majority of my post because you simply have no real response to it akin to you not being about to admit that our WRs are much better than Carolina's.</P>

It's a character flaw. You cannot realize when you are wrong or if you are able to realize it, you don't know how to deal with it.</P>

</P>

RobCarpenter
01-13-2012, 08:27 AM
NFL players have and they didnt vote Eli into the top 100 players this past year.

</P>

lawl, by citing Tiki Barber as a character reference, you just lost what ever credability that you have. 100% ridiculous comment on your part. </P>

And nice way to dismiss folks who have actually played the game and have a much better appreciation of how difficult it is to accomplishthings on the fieldthan someone like you. </P>

Maybe you should just stick to ripping on Ballard ;)</P>

You've had some really bad posts, but this was one of your worst. </P>

lawl
01-13-2012, 10:26 AM
NFL players have and they didnt vote Eli into the top 100 players this past year.

</P>

lawl, by citing Tiki Barber as a character reference, you just lost what ever credability that you have. 100% ridiculous comment on your part. </P>

And nice way to dismiss folks who have actually played the game and have a much better appreciation of how difficult it is to accomplishthings on the fieldthan someone like you. </P>

</P>

Since you have absolutely no comprehension at all. I didn't use Tiki as a character reference, in fact it was quite the opposite. </P>

NoHuddle insinuated that by having played football(I was a wrestler) his opinion on the matter was more credible. Well, all of these NFL players have also played football and their opinions are ******ed, to include Tiki. Now think, REAL HARD, as to why I brought up what those guys said. Keep thinking. You'll figure it out.</P>

Ballard is still awful and one of the worst starting TEs in the league.</P>

</P>

burier
01-13-2012, 11:11 AM
*NFL players have and they didnt vote Eli into the top 100 players this past year.

</P>

lawl, by citing Tiki Barber as a character reference, you just lost what ever credability that you have.*** 100% ridiculous comment on your part.** </P>

And nice way to dismiss folks who have actually played the game and have a much better appreciation of how difficult it is to accomplish*things on the field*than someone like you.* *</P>

You've had some really bad posts, but this was one of your worst. *</P>

</P>

Since you have absolutely no comprehension at all. I didn't use Tiki as a character reference, in fact it was quite the opposite. </P>

NoHuddle insinuated that by having played football(I was a wrestler) his opinion on the matter was more credible. Well, all of these NFL players have also played football and their opinions are ******ed, to include Tiki. Now think, REAL HARD, as to why I brought up what those guys said. Keep thinking. You'll figure it out.</P>

*</P>

try picking on someone your own size

lawl
01-13-2012, 11:13 AM

</P>

</P>

</P>

try picking on someone your own size</P>

I really hope you said that because I mentioned I wrestled. If so, well played, great joke.</P>

burier
01-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Address me or keep my name out of it.

NIce job getting out of the thread you were getting whipped in to try bad mouth me in a completely different unrelated thread.

You act like a girl on a couch who just got felt up.

StarWarsGiant
01-13-2012, 11:20 AM
You have to understand that most of these QB's played when the rules were different. I mean you cold actually play defene back then and the offenses in the league were mainly run based. I give alot more credence to the numbers people put up back in the day like Marino, Elway, Montana etc. The NFL is set up for the pass. the WR's can run free you can't touch the QB so Todays QB's should put up crazy numbers.

gumby742
01-13-2012, 11:26 AM
but I dont care at all what you think... I wouldn't either. You think you're in the tenth percentile (being nice of course) and I think you are an Eli cultist. IMO, the only thing 90% about you is how many posts you type that are about Eli. Although, you can't be too hard on the guy. burier and robcarpenter make him seem sane. Address me or keep my name out of it. NIce job getting out of the thread you were getting whipped in to try bad mouth me in a completely different unrelated thread. You act like a girl on a couch who just got felt up.</P>

My butt whooped? My last reponse to you in which you had no reply:</P>

Again, normalize it PER ATTEMPT. I'll tell you right now that Eli is far, far behind Ben and Rivers. I'll guarantee you that.

Edit: Ok. So Eli has roughly 900 more attempts then Rivers and 600 more then Ben. That's anywhere from 1-2 years worth of attempts.

Like I said, don't play the stats game with Eli because you won't win. </P>

You're 26 dude. Act like it. What's the matter with you?</P>

burier
01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
but I dont care at all what you think... I wouldn't either. You think you're in the tenth percentile (being nice of course) and I think you are an Eli cultist. IMO, the only thing 90% about you is how many posts you type that are about Eli. Although, you can't be too hard on the guy. burier and robcarpenter make him seem sane. Address me or keep my name out of it. NIce job getting out of the thread you were getting whipped in to try bad mouth me in a completely different unrelated thread. You act like a girl on a couch who just got felt up.</P>

My butt whooped?* My last reponse to you in which you had no reply:</P>

You're 26 dude.* Act like it.* What's the matter with you?</P>

Are you drunk?

TroyArcher
01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I am big Eli fan but one thing to keep in mind when comparing today's QB's to those in the past are the rules changes. All the rules have been changed to help the offense. It is turning into arena football. I would put Phil Simms in the same category as Eli ina heartbeat but Phil's stats don't even come close.

burier
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
*NFL players have and they didnt vote Eli into the top 100 players this past year.

</P>

lawl, by citing Tiki Barber as a character reference, you just lost what ever credability that you have.*** 100% ridiculous comment on your part.** </P>

And nice way to dismiss folks who have actually played the game and have a much better appreciation of how difficult it is to accomplish*things on the field*than someone like you.* *</P>

You've had some really bad posts, but this was one of your worst. *</P>

</P>

*</P>

try picking on someone your own size</P>

I really hope you said that because I mentioned I wrestled. If so, well played, great joke.</P>

you know exactly why I said it.

burier
01-13-2012, 12:30 PM

My butt whooped?* My last reponse to you in which you had no reply:</P>

You're 26 dude.* Act like it.* What's the matter with you?</P>

lets "Normalize" the record books per attempt while we're at it.

RobCarpenter
01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
I am big Eli fan but one thing to keep in mind when comparing today's QB's to those in the past are the rules changes. All the rules have been changed to help the offense. It is turning into arena football. I would put Phil Simms in the same category as Eli ina heartbeat but Phil's stats don't even come close.</P>

I know Phil Simms, Phil Simms was a friend of mine. Phil Simms was no Eli Manning.</P>

Phil was a game-manager type QB whose role was to "not lose the game" while letting the Defense control the game andwas highly-dependent on therunning game. Eli is a playmaker who can carry the team for stretches.</P>

NoHuddle10
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
I am big Eli fan but one thing to keep in mind when comparing today's QB's to those in the past are the rules changes.* All the rules have been changed to help the offense.* It is turning into arena football.* I would put Phil Simms in the same category as Eli in*a heartbeat but Phil's stats don't even come close.*</P>

I know Phil Simms, Phil Simms was a friend of mine.* Phil Simms was no Eli Manning.</P>

Phil was a game-manager type QB whose role was to "not lose the game" while letting the Defense control the game and*was highly-dependent on the*running game.* ** Eli is a playmaker who can carry the team for stretches.*</P>

The truth...

RobCarpenter
01-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I am big Eli fan but one thing to keep in mind when comparing today's QB's to those in the past are the rules changes. All the rules have been changed to help the offense. It is turning into arena football. I would put Phil Simms in the same category as Eli ina heartbeat but Phil's stats don't even come close.</P>

I know Phil Simms, Phil Simms was a friend of mine. Phil Simms was no Eli Manning.</P>

Phil was a game-manager type QB whose role was to "not lose the game" while letting the Defense control the game andwas highly-dependent on therunning game. Eli is a playmaker who can carry the team for stretches.</P>

The truth...</P>

No doubt. </P>

Hey, don't let the few clowns on this MB who don't get it, drag you down or into pointless arguments. They are sorry Giants fans..and we know who they are. </P>

You get it, we have a damn good QB, let's enjoy it!</P>

IAmTheFly
01-15-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm not going to put Eii among the very best QBs ever yet but he is certainly progressing toward that status, numbers-wise or otherwise. A few more seasons of 3000 passing yards and he is going to be climbing up that ladder statistically.

But stats don't say it all of course. The way he calls a game. The willingness to stay in the pocket until the very last second it is possible to make the pass, no matter who is bearing down on him. The way he sees the field. The way he spreads the ball around, keeping everybody involved. A lot of us were bemoaning that we had no tight ends, Smith is gone etc... Eli makes everyone better and you can give Gilbride some kudos for that as well. And the biggest thing now I think, and the one it took him a while to accept because he is a fierce competitor, is he rarely forces anything anymore. I'm sure Eli is happy about his numbers but they are the farthest thing from his mind when he's on the field. He never misses a game. I could go on. Bottom line is he is a winner.

Us Giants fans are really lucky to have him because guys like that don't come around very often. As for some Simms comments above, another great Giant, great competitor, winner, and one of my alltime favourite players. But cmon. I'm not going to say anything bad about Phil but he wasn't as good as Eli. That's no knock, few are. Go Eli, Go Giants.