PDA

View Full Version : Quarterbacks of Today may just be Better

redjersies
01-12-2012, 08:56 PM
It is true that the passing numbers in the league are now higher. Nevertheless, many things have evolved. Defenses should have had more years to evolve and become more adept at reading offenses. Defenders are probably much more athletic. There should also be mitigating factors that have made it harder to pass, too. Maybe it is a little easier to pass, but I think people are taking too much liberty if they believe that rule changes are the only reason that passing numbers are higher now. </P>

One thing that I haven't heard many say is that quarterbacks are just flat out better, now. They have evolved. Offenses have evolved. This can be compared to the NBA: in the old days, people shot the ball underhanded using "granny shots." Then, they learned that the jump shot had a better chance of getting over defenders and scoring. I think that offenses and defenses evolve over the course of years, and right now, the offenses have the advantage over defenses. But, over time, the defenses may develope strategies that neutralize the advantages of today's offenses. Personally, Ithink that quarterbacks (and their receivers) are just, on average, better today than they were years ago--although there have been some great ones in the past. Quarterbacks share information and learn ways to read defenses, thus the entire positionevolves to become better. I imagine much of Eli's success has to do with the small tricks and details that he learned from discussing things with Peyton and his father, Archie. I think the entire group of quarterbacks in the NFL progresses this way. </P>

I alsothink today's offenses are just better, on average. Though rule changes have affected it somewhat, I think the evolution of the game explains more of it. Rule changes probably explain some of it, but I honestly believe that if you put some of today's quarterbacks back into the old world of NFL, they would torch the defenses--even if the old rules were in effect. Nevertheless, in time, defenses will probably develop strategies to become more effective. It probably works in sort of a thesis-antithesis way. What do you folks think about this?</P>

Harooni
01-12-2012, 09:03 PM
No it's defiantly the rule changes. Not being able to bump the receiver after 5 yards. Pi calls left and right. Not being able to sneeze on the QB. It's all geared for a more successful air show. It's what godell wanted

fansince69
01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
No it's defiantly the rule changes. Not being able to bump the receiver after 5 yards. Pi calls left and right. Not being able to sneeze on the QB. It's all geared for a more successful air show. It's what godell wanted

I tried to explain this to nohuddle10 in another post and he couldn't grasp the concept either thank you Harooni

Firenugget
01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
It is true that the passing numbers in the league are now higher. Nevertheless, many things have evolved. Defenses should have had more years to evolve and become more adept at reading offenses. Defenders are probably much more athletic. There should also be mitigating factors that have made it harder to pass, too. Maybe it is a little easier to pass, but I think people are taking too much liberty if they believe that rule changes are the only reason that passing numbers are higher now. </p>

One thing that I haven't heard many say is that quarterbacks are just flat out better, now. They have evolved. Offenses have evolved. This can be compared to the NBA: in the old days, people shot the ball underhanded using "granny shots." Then, they learned that the jump shot had a better chance of getting over defenders and scoring. I think that offenses and defenses evolve over the course of years, and right now, the offenses have the advantage over defenses. But, over time, the defenses may develope strategies that neutralize the advantages of today's offenses. Personally, Ithink that quarterbacks (and their receivers) are just, on average, better today than they were years ago--although there have been some great ones in the past. Quarterbacks share information and learn ways to read defenses, thus the entire positionevolves to become better. I imagine much of Eli's success has to do with the small tricks and details that he learned from discussing things with Peyton and his father, Archie. I think the entire group of quarterbacks in the NFL progresses this way. </p>

I alsothink today's offenses are just better, on average. Though rule changes have affected it somewhat, I think the evolution of the game explains more of it. Rule changes probably explain some of it, <font size="5"><u>but I honestly believe that if you put some of today's quarterbacks back into the old world of NFL, they would torch the defenses--even if the old rules were in effect.</u></font> Nevertheless, in time, defenses will probably develop strategies to become more effective. It probably works in sort of a thesis-antithesis way. What do you folks think about this?</p>

I don't think they would do horrible but they definitely wouldn't be putting up numbers like today. They'd throw twice as many picks easily seeing as defenders used to be able to actually defend a pass and put a hand on someone.

Just as I think alot of old school QB's wouldn't do so hot today. They never had to face the same level of athleticism that we have today and would most likely be on their backs pretty often.

Delicreep
01-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Of course the rule changes are a major factor in today's QB's have ridiculous numbers, but let's not forget that today's athletes play in an era when performance science, on everything from nutrition to targeted work out plans to the field itself cannot be compared to players from the past.

Add in the fact that medical treatment of injuries is light years ahead of where it was 10 years ago and it's hard for me to not see this as a significant element of the current players performance.

fansince69
01-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Of course the rule changes are a major factor in today's QB's have ridiculous numbers, but let's not forget that today's athletes play in an era when performance science, on everything from nutrition to targeted work out plans to the field itself cannot be compared to players from the past.

Add in the fact that medical treatment of injuries is light years ahead of where it was 10 years ago and it's hard for me to not see this as a significant element of the current players performance.

Which is yet another reason you can not compare athletes of different eras to each other

miked1958
01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Plus u can't hardly touch a QB these days without drawing a flag

Delicreep
01-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Which is yet another reason you can not compare athletes of different eras to each other

Well...I would argue it's what we are suppose to do, and that people have been making comparisons since organized sports began.

Not to get too philosophical, but those comparisons connect us to the past, our memories and the memories of other fans.

Those debates are part of our history.

BlueSanta
01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
so these incredible numbers and routine record breaking performances just happened to coincide with the rule changes?

You are wrong.

Look at college, defense still matters in college(see Alabama v LSU). The reason is because they have a very different ruleset concerning defensive backs vs WRs.

fansince69
01-12-2012, 09:57 PM

Well...I would argue it's what we are suppose to do, and that people have been making comparisons since organized sports began.

Not to get too philosophical, but those comparisons connect us to the past, our memories and the memories of other fans.

Those debates are part of our history.

The way to go about it is to compare athletes to their peers then compare the best against their peers to the best against their peers....In other words who dominated their era the most...you cannot compare straight numbers.....60 home runs today is very different than 60 home runs when Ruth did it.

conflictxnj
01-12-2012, 10:13 PM
It's definitely rule changes. Teams also run up scores a lot more than they used to.

NYSPORTS
01-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Sounds like ESPN brain washed another poor youth.