PDA

View Full Version : Rakim

egyptian420
01-12-2012, 08:53 PM
It only makes sense that one of the best hip hop artists of all time loves one of the best teams of all time : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VAXaCJI1cg

Don't really care for the interview lol but love the Giants swag...and btw, does anyone else think he looks Exactly like Nicks?

smashndash715
01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
haha yea he does look like he could be nicks's dad...one of the best MC's of all time and thats coming from a 23 yr old

egyptian420
01-12-2012, 09:30 PM
haha yea he does look like he could be nicks's dad...one of the best MC's of all time and thats coming from a 23 yr old
lol yea man I'm 22 and I exclusively listen to 90's rap....all this stuff coming out today is GARBAGE

smashndash715
01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
lol yea man I'm 22 and I exclusively listen to 90's rap....all this stuff coming out today is GARBAGE

yea these dudes like drake are poisoning our generation lol..you heard common dissing him?

gmen0820
01-12-2012, 09:40 PM

yea these dudes like drake are poisoning our generation lol..you heard common dissing him?+1

egyptian420
01-12-2012, 09:42 PM

yea these dudes like drake are poisoning our generation lol..you heard common dissing him?
lmao wanna know what's funny? In my last comment I was going to mention that clown but didn't because I was worried I might offend you if you were a fan of his....I'm glad you see that idiot the same way I do, and I'm from Toronto.

myles2424
01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
On my way to the gym now, "lyrics of fury" blazin in my headphones.......anyone that doesn't have rakim in their top 5 is nuts...

Sundown
01-12-2012, 10:44 PM
The days when hip hop was really HIP HOP. Im just looking forward to Blackstar new album this year.....and when you think about it,its kinda sad. Back in the day good **** was coming out every week!!!

smashndash715
01-12-2012, 10:48 PM

lmao wanna know what's funny? In my last comment I was going to mention that clown but didn't because I was worried I might offend you if you were a fan of his....I'm glad you see that idiot the same way I do, and I'm from Toronto.

haha nah you wouldnt offend me you would be making me proud..theres nothing better then people that appreciate real hip hop..not waka flocka and gucci mane

BornLegend
01-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Rakim Allah... the days of real Hip Hop is loooong gone... damn shame.

Rick Ross is doing his thing and I actually was feeling his last album but one banging CD a year doesn't compare to the good old days when you had like 4 to 5 classics dropping annually.

Drake's album is basically an R&B album... the whole CD isn't trash but it's not my style and I'm glad Common gave him the business... Common's my dude. I'm definitely not into Lil Wayne.

Once Jay-Z and a few others hang up the mic, we're screwed. Nas done disappeared, Mobb Deep fell off, Dre ditched The Detox album apparently... all the decent rappers are up there in age. I'm stuck in the 90's myself.

Pop it Ahmad
01-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Rakim the god!

Yea I actually do see the Nicks resemblance.

Giantz4Life
01-13-2012, 03:50 AM

Rick Ross is doing his thing and I actually was feeling his last album but one banging CD a year doesn't compare to the good old days when you had like 4 to 5 classics dropping annually.

Drake's album is basically an R&B album... the whole CD isn't trash but it's not my style and I'm glad Common gave him the business... Common's my dude. I'm definitely not into Lil Wayne.

Once Jay-Z and a few others hang up the mic, we're screwed. Nas done disappeared, Mobb Deep fell off, Dre ditched The Detox album apparently... all the decent rappers are up there in age. I'm stuck in the 90's myself.

Mobb Deep sealed their fate when they signed with G-unit. Everything they've done since then is garbage IMO, and I'm a loyal Mobb Deep fan. NaS and Jr. Gong Marleys album is so dope! I will forever wish it was still the 90's...I mean that's when I grew up and learned about real music. Even the crappy music of the 90's is worlds better than the **** on the radio now. To be honest, I don't even put on the radio anymore it's all Top 40 garbage. The problem is that it's a bunch of rich suits dictating what we listen to now...the people have no voice anymore they just put out whatever will sell to the masses.

BornLegend
01-13-2012, 04:26 AM

Mobb Deep sealed their fate when they signed with G-unit. Everything they've done since then is garbage IMO, and I'm a loyal Mobb Deep fan. NaS and Jr. Gong Marleys album is so dope! I will forever wish it was still the 90's...I mean that's when I grew up and learned about real music. Even the crappy music of the 90's is worlds better than the **** on the radio now. To be honest, I don't even put on the radio anymore it's all Top 40 garbage. The problem is that it's a bunch of rich suits dictating what we listen to now...the people have no voice anymore they just put out whatever will sell to the masses.Yup you're dead on point. Prodigy put the G-Unit tattoo on his hand and it was a wrap after that. They'll never get their respect back... that EP they dropped last year probably only sold 100 copies. I heard a few songs and was like "eeehhh".

That Distant Relatives CD got slept on. Nas was at his best on that joint... I still rock out to it here and there. That was pure art with a real meaning to it. As a matter of fact, all of my Nas CD's are in heavy rotation in my ride.

What did you think about that "Watch The Throne" (Jay-Z & Kanye)?

egyptian420
01-13-2012, 06:09 AM

Mobb Deep sealed their fate when they signed with G-unit. Everything they've done since then is garbage IMO, and I'm a loyal Mobb Deep fan. NaS and Jr. Gong Marleys album is so dope! I will forever wish it was still the 90's...I mean that's when I grew up and learned about real music. Even the crappy music of the 90's is worlds better than the **** on the radio now. To be honest, I don't even put on the radio anymore it's all Top 40 garbage. The problem is that it's a bunch of rich suits dictating what we listen to now...the people have no voice anymore they just put out whatever will sell to the masses.Yup you're dead on point. Prodigy put the G-Unit tattoo on his hand and it was a wrap after that. They'll never get their respect back... that EP they dropped last year probably only sold 100 copies. I heard a few songs and was like "eeehhh".

That Distant Relatives CD got slept on. Nas was at his best on that joint... I still rock out to it here and there. That was pure art with a real meaning to it. As a matter of fact, all of my Nas CD's are in heavy rotation in my ride.

you guys are both dead on. Mobb Deep used to be the s##t back in the 90's but like you said, they sold out Big time when they went to G-Unit. Nas is still ill although some ppl will tell you he's a snake (AZ and Cormega)...he ditched them and The Firm to sign a record deal, but he's still more real than any clown on the radio today.

I miss the De La Soul, Brand Nubian, A Tribe Called Quest, Rakim, Naughty by Nature, Black Moon, The Pharcyde, EPMD, Original Flavor, Mad Skillz, Jeru the Damja, Nas, AZ......man I could go on forever, the 90's was the BEST era of hip hop

Everything on the radio today is generic, it's all exactly the same garbage. You go to any major record label's AR department and they'll tell you to rap about the women you get, expensive cars, expensive champagne, and how you're a millionaire that's better than us. And I'm supposed to relate to that stupid simple minded bull####? No thanks, I'll let the club crowd that doesn't know #### about real hip hop listen to that crap.

This whole conversation really bothers me because I Always get into these arguments with my friends who listen to that garbage music on the radio today and they think I'm still stuck in the past and that I'm a "hater"....

smashndash715
01-13-2012, 11:13 AM

you guys are both dead on. Mobb Deep used to be the s##t back in the 90's but like you said, they sold out Big time when they went to G-Unit. Nas is still ill although some ppl will tell you he's a snake (AZ and Cormega)...he ditched them and The Firm to sign a record deal, but he's still more real than any clown on the radio today.

I miss the De La Soul, Brand Nubian, A Tribe Called Quest, Rakim, Naughty by Nature, Black Moon, The Pharcyde, EPMD, Original Flavor, Mad Skillz, Jeru the Damja, Nas, AZ......man I could go on forever, the 90's was the BEST era of hip hop

Everything on the radio today is generic, it's all exactly the same garbage. You go to any major record label's AR department and they'll tell you to rap about the women you get, expensive cars, expensive champagne, and how you're a millionaire that's better than us. And I'm supposed to relate to that stupid simple minded bull####? No thanks, I'll let the club crowd that doesn't know #### about real hip hop listen to that crap.

This whole conversation really bothers me because I Always get into these arguments with my friends who listen to that garbage music on the radio today and they think I'm still stuck in the past and that I'm a "hater"....

hey egyptian you listen to slaughterhouse?(joe budden ,crooked i, royce da 5'9 and joell ortiz)

egyptian420
01-13-2012, 11:20 AM
hey egyptian you listen to slaughterhouse?(joe budden ,crooked i, royce da 5'9 and joell ortiz)
I did but wasn't too impressed, I like Joe Budden on his own and same with Royce and Ortiz. But I definitely respect them more than Drake, Lil Wayne or any other corporate mainstream puppet.

smashndash715
01-13-2012, 11:26 AM
I did but wasn't too impressed, I like Joe Budden on his own and same with Royce and Ortiz. But I definitely respect them more than Drake, Lil Wayne or any other corporate mainstream puppet.

yea budden's mood muzik mixtape series is crazy

egyptian420
01-13-2012, 11:36 AM

lol yea man, except 4 was kind of weak, first 3 were insane, I also loved Halfway House.....ever heard of Ransom lool? He's another jersey rapper but a lot more gutter

smashndash715
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM

lol yea man, except 4 was kind of weak, first 3 were insane, I also loved Halfway House.....ever heard of Ransom lool? He's another jersey rapper but a lot more gutter

yea of course ive heard of ransom..i liked him better when he was with hitch**** and they had the A-team..since then i havent heard much from ransom aside from a few budden disses

titwio
01-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Black Moon

Still to this day "Enta da Stage" is probably my favorite Hip Hop album of all time. IMO that album started it all for guys like Mobb Deep, Nas, AZ etc... That whole album is drama and is heavy as s***.

*One of my fave tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFftyp151_o

dezzzR
01-13-2012, 04:30 PM
It only makes sense that one of the best hip hop artists of all time loves one of the best teams of all time : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VAXaCJI1cg

Don't really care for the interview lol but love the Giants swag...and btw, does anyone else think he looks Exactly like Nicks?
Good man. Thought me and Kasemoney were the only true hip hop heads around here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbgmPTys-Mk

JPizzack
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
I doubt it's a popular choice, but one of my favorite hip-hop songs ever is "Guess Who's Back" off the album The 18th Letter. At the time(1997) there wasn't much resemlbing that kind of hip hop, and the beat to that song was infectious.

I'm pretty sure Destiny's Child stole the music to that song for one of their own, uncredited...but i can't confirm that. lol</P>

I'd post a video link, but I'm at work still, and all that **** is blocked.</P>

egyptian420
01-13-2012, 05:30 PM

yea of course ive heard of ransom..i liked him better when he was with hitch**** and they had the A-team..since then i havent heard much from ransom aside from a few budden disses
lol yessss....I'm so happy there are ppl on here that know about this...Him and Hitch back in like 04 were KILLING the mixtapes, dirtiest punchlines I ever heard, the H &amp; R Block mixtape and all the Hardhood classics.....and you're dead on, after him and hitch broke up and he went after budden, he kinda got soft after that

egyptian420
01-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Black Moon

Still to this day "Enta da Stage" is probably my favorite Hip Hop album of all time. IMO that album started it all for guys like Mobb Deep, Nas, AZ etc... That whole album is drama and is heavy as s***.

*One of my fave tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFftyp151_o
Oh man, probably one of the best hip hop albums ever made, I put it right up there with Paid in Full and Illmatic.

My favorite track off that album was Who got the props but pretty much the entire thing was close to perfection. Noteworthy tracks: Buck Em Down. Black Smif-N-Wessun, Slave....ahh screw it, the entire thing is amazing I can't list them all

egyptian420
01-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Another amazing rapper from the 90's who is really slept on is Scientifik, the circumstances around his death were really bizarre though.

Scientifik - Still an herb dealer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=302PC-jpRIs)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ8XvBXtdSQ">
Scientifik - Slicka Picka Uppa</a>

egyptian420
01-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I doubt it's a popular choice, but one of my favorite hip-hop songs ever is "Guess Who's Back" off the album The 18th Letter. At the time(1997) there wasn't much resemlbing that kind of hip hop, and the beat to that song was infectious.

I'm pretty sure Destiny's Child stole the music to that song for one of their own, uncredited...but i can't confirm that. lol</p>

I'd post a video link, but I'm at work still, and all that **** is blocked.</p>
loved that album and that track, and the Show me Love track......I liked his other album more though, The Master, specially that track How I get down......but the entire album is dope

BornLegend
01-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Black Moon

*One of my fave tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFftyp151_oEnta da Stage was indeed a classic that played an intricate part along with Enter The 36 Chambers, Illmatic and Ready To Die to bring the East coast back but I wouldn't say it started it all. Havoc from Mobb Deep was actually featured on that album and if you remember correctly, Mobb Deep actually went by the name of Juvenile Hell and they had an album way before Black Moon dropped.

I give vets like G Rap, Just Ice, N.W.A. and several others the credit for paving the way for hardcore, street influenced rap.

What do you young cats know about Grandaddy I.U. /Smooth Assassin album?

smashndash715
01-14-2012, 12:16 AM

lol yessss....I'm so happy there are ppl on here that know about this...Him and Hitch back in like 04 were KILLING the mixtapes, dirtiest punchlines I ever heard, the H & R Block mixtape and all the Hardhood classics.....and you're dead on, after him and hitch broke up and he went after budden, he kinda got soft after that

yea those mixtapes and the triangle offense with fab budden and cain nasssssssssssty

buffyblue
01-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Eric B and Rakim were awesome. Rap would never have been as big as it is withouth their contributions.

I also love Tribe Called Quest.

I bELIeve.

egyptian420
01-14-2012, 02:33 AM
Eric B and Rakim were awesome. Rap would never have been as big as it is withouth their contributions.

I also love Tribe Called Quest.

I bELIeve.
Looove the tribe....Midnight Marauders is one of my favorite rap albums of all time

titwio
01-14-2012, 03:52 AM
Enta da Stage was indeed a classic that played an intricate part along with Enter The 36 Chambers, Illmatic and Ready To Die to bring the East coast back but I wouldn't say it started it all. Havoc from Mobb Deep was actually featured on that album and if you remember correctly, Mobb Deep actually went by the name of Juvenile Hell and they had an album way before Black Moon dropped.

I give vets like G Rap, Just Ice, N.W.A. and several others the credit for paving the way for hardcore, street influenced rap.

I kind of worded that wrong. What I meant was that it was pretty much the beginning for that specific style which took off when Nas and Mobb Deep started becoming a recurring trend amongst artist around that period. Don't get me wrong I don't mean they paved the way but they were a fresh start to that style...At least to me they were cause I got hooked on that style really quick. Deep heavy beats combined with blount'd NYC drama lyrics. I loved that s*** when it I first heard it.

Yeah I remember Mobb Deep being down with Boot Camp Clik on that on that record with Smif N Wessun and Beatminerz I think produced all the tracks....I could be wrong about all... but most of them were theirs and were pretty heavy.

If you ask me though....The originators for those artists like Wu, BM, Nas, Biggie to me were guys like Erik B.& Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, BDP, etc... ...On the East Coast at least...IMO.

ForeverNYG
01-14-2012, 05:30 AM
What's your guys thoughts on some of these new guys like J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar?

BornLegend
01-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Enta da Stage was indeed a classic that played an intricate part along with Enter The 36 Chambers, Illmatic and Ready To Die to bring the East coast back but I wouldn't say it started it all. Havoc from Mobb Deep was actually featured on that album and if you remember correctly, Mobb Deep actually went by the name of Juvenile Hell and they had an album way before Black Moon dropped.

I kind of worded that wrong. What I meant was that it was pretty much the beginning for that specific style which took off when Nas and Mobb Deep started becoming a recurring trend amongst artist around that period. Don't get me wrong I don't mean they paved the way but they were a fresh start to that style...At least to me they were cause I got hooked on that style really quick. Deep heavy beats combined with blount'd NYC drama lyrics. I loved that s*** when it I first heard it.

Yeah I remember Mobb Deep being down with Boot Camp Clik on that on that record with Smif N Wessun and Beatminerz I think produced all the tracks....I could be wrong about all... but most of them were theirs and were pretty heavy.

If you ask me though....The originators for those artists like Wu, BM, Nas, Biggie to me were guys like Erik B.& Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, BDP, etc... ...On the East Coast at least...IMO.Yeah you're right, Rakim was definitely a heavy influence on Nas and IMO if it wasn't for Illmatic making Queensbridge relevant again, groups like Mobb Deep and C-N-N wouldn't have endured the success that they did.

I thought the Wu had their own style, I miss those days when rappers use to have to dig in deep to create a style of their own... groups like Das EFX and Onyx are perfect examples. A lot of those different styles probably wouldn't work today but back then it was ill because no 2 rappers sounded the same and if they did, they would get called out for it.

I might not be a big fan of Nicki Minaj but her rap style is original. Her image is ripped off of Lil Kim but her flow and delivery is her own. It's like what Giantz4Life said... it's the suits that's mainstreaming and destroying rap. It's more about record sales and commercial success nowadays which makes a lot of these rappers seem so phony.

egyptian420
01-14-2012, 10:56 AM

If you ask me though....The originators for those artists like Wu, BM, Nas, Biggie to me were guys like Erik B.&amp; Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, BDP, etc... ...On the East Coast at least...IMO.Yeah you're right, Rakim was definitely a heavy influence on Nas and IMO if it wasn't for Illmatic making Queensbridge relevant again, groups like Mobb Deep and C-N-N wouldn't have endured the success that they did.

I thought the Wu had their own style, I miss those days when rappers use to have to dig in deep to create a style of their own... groups like Das EFX and Onyx are perfect examples. A lot of those different styles probably wouldn't work today but back then it was ill because no 2 rappers sounded the same and if they did, they would get called out for it.

I might not be a big fan of Nicki Minaj but her rap style is original. Her image is ripped off of Lil Kim but her flow and delivery is her own. It's like what Giantz4Life said... it's the suits that's mainstreaming and destroying rap. It's more about record sales and commercial success nowadays which makes a lot of these rappers seem so phony.
+1...it is for this reason that I cannot Stand the mainstream...back in the days people were original and creative. Everyone brought something new to the table because they were themselves, and obviously we're all unique individuals.

Today everyone is bringing the same garbage to the table: whatever is hot/selling at the moment. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Any of you guys like Odd Future? Now don't get me wrong, I Totally disagree with their anti-Christian ridiculous lyrics, but I still Love their music because its original and creative, when you listen to them, you know its them, you can't mix them up with any mainstream artists. They also make some insane beats, which is what I love the most.

egyptian420
01-14-2012, 10:57 AM
How about this: Company Flow..........probably one of my favorite groups of all time as well. I have a huge poster of the Funcrusher Plus album cover in my bedroom, the only music related poster in my house, and rightfully so.

BornLegend
01-14-2012, 11:41 AM

If you ask me though....The originators for those artists like Wu, BM, Nas, Biggie to me were guys like Erik B.& Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, BDP, etc... ...On the East Coast at least...IMO.Yeah you're right, Rakim was definitely a heavy influence on Nas and IMO if it wasn't for Illmatic making Queensbridge relevant again, groups like Mobb Deep and C-N-N wouldn't have endured the success that they did.

+1...it is for this reason that I cannot Stand the mainstream...back in the days people were original and creative. Everyone brought something new to the table because they were themselves, and obviously we're all unique individuals.

Today everyone is bringing the same garbage to the table: whatever is hot/selling at the moment. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Any of you guys like Odd Future? Now don't get me wrong, I Totally disagree with their anti-Christian ridiculous lyrics, but I still Love their music because its original and creative, when you listen to them, you know its them, you can't mix them up with any mainstream artists. They also make some insane beats, which is what I love the most.
Nah, I never heard of em. I fell off or just grew uninterested because I'm not into the game like I used to... not even close.

smashndash715
01-14-2012, 11:46 AM
What's your guys thoughts on some of these new guys like J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar?

i think they have alot of talent..i dont expect to hear an album from kenrick lamar tho cause every1 that falls under dre never actually puts anything out tho..im a fan of cole

PhilaGiant83
01-18-2012, 10:10 PM
If y'all wanna hear a group influenced by Wu Tang Clan and Gang Starr combined check out Jedi Mind Tricks. Its like a mix of Wu, M.O.P., Gang Starr(production wise), and Mobb Deep.

oldschoolcat
01-28-2012, 02:13 PM
I'ma Old Head from the early days of Hip-Hop and Rakim truly is one of the greatest emcee's of all time. I created the image below a few years ago to the living legend.

http://i49.tinypic.com/1492pzm.jpg