gumby742
01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
A lot of you were out for blood at the beginning of the season.</P>

That still the case?</P>

I'm probably the biggest JR homer, but I'm genuinely curious.</P>

JMFP2
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
I slammed Reese alot this season.</P>

I was highly critical of his inactivity during free agency. I understand alot of that is cap-related, but since the GM is responsible for managing the cap, I didn't accept that as an excuse.</P>

When the "hot seat" was burning for Coughlin, I defended Coughlin.....I thought the blame was on Reese for being stuck in neutral this season.</P>

I remember making a post called "If Coughlin is fired, blame Reese".</P>

Well, Coughlin is off the hot seat, so maybe I should eat some crow about Reese, too. He came out in the preseason and "guaranteed" the Giants would get to the playoff and make a run....and he was right.</P>

I still give Coughlin the greater credit for this season....because he was the one who kept this team togetherthrough all the ups and downs.</P>

But now that we are getting guys back, Reese's original position on not shaking up the roster is looking pretty smart, too.</P>

Really, when it comes to judging Reese, or Coughlin....they both owe a huge thank you to Ernie Accorsi, because Eli might have saved both their asses.</P>

Firenugget
01-13-2012, 02:15 PM
There was definitely some aspects I didn't like early on. I thought going into the year with a bunch of mid level rookie LBers was a mistake (I still think I'm right about that since Chase has made such a difference). I didn't like the idea of starting Beatty at LT, I just don't think he's good enough. Not yet anyways.

But all in all it's all worked out so how can I complain?

gumby742
01-13-2012, 02:20 PM

I was highly critical of his inactivity during free agency. I understand alot of that is cap-related, but since the GM is responsible for managing the cap, I didn't accept that as an excuse.</P>

When the "hot seat" was burning for Coughlin, I defended Coughlin.....I thought the blame was on Reese for being stuck in neutral this season.</P>

Well, Coughlin is off the hot seat, so maybe I should eat some crow about Reese, too. He came out in the preseason and "guaranteed" the Giants would get to the playoff and make a run....and he was right.</P>

I still give Coughlin the greater credit for this season....because he was the one who kept this team togetherthrough all the ups and downs.</P>

But now that we are getting guys back, Reese's original position on not shaking up the roster is looking pretty smart, too.</P>

</P>

Haha. I remember that thread. I was busy defending JR for pages and pages and pages.</P>

slipknottin
01-13-2012, 02:20 PM
according to footballoutsiders, giants defense was the 2nd most injured defense they had ever recorded, and their data goes back like 30 years.

So i cant blame Reese for any of that really.

And as usual, every FA he brings in spends most of their first year hurt, so of course Baas fit right in.

The irony of a lot of the Reese hate, is that the players everyone blames him most for... Rolle, Canty, Bernard, and Boley have all been playing great down the stretch.

JMFP2
01-13-2012, 02:25 PM

</P>

Haha. I remember that thread. I was busy defending JR for pages and pages and pages.</P>

</P>

LOL....I remember that too.</P>

Thing is, I've been a Reese supporter since Day 1.... I was just very critical of him this season. I think it's because I'm a big Coughlin supporter, and I just felt like he didn't have the weapons he needed to get back into the playoffs.</P>

Again, a ton of this was due to injuries. I'm pretty used to the Giants getting banged up, but this season was a ****ing joke.</P>

When it comes to picking gems, I can't think of anyone with a better track record than Reese...... granted, JPP was a 1st rounder, but if anyone had a clue he'd be this good, he might have been a top 3 pick. Cruz is playing like a 1st rounder. Bradshaw, Boss, Ballard, etc., etc., etc.,.....the guy has struck gold in the draft.</P>

TrueBlue07
01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
A lot of you were out for blood at the beginning of the season.</p>

That still the case?</p>

I'm probably the biggest JR homer, but I'm genuinely curious.</p>

I was very upset with Reese in the off season. Mostly because it seemed like we weren't even in a position (financially) to make a move IF we wanted to. I wasn't a fan of the moves he was making, but I generally do trust him. IMO being so unprepared for the FA signing period is a legit knock on Reese. Overall I think he's great, and clearly we have a talented roster but I think he could have done better in that respect.

gumby742
01-13-2012, 02:27 PM

</P>

</P>

Thing is, I've been a Reese supporter since Day 1.... I was just very critical of him this season. I think it's because I'm a big Coughlin supporter, and I just felt like he didn't have the weapons he needed to get back into the playoffs.</P>

Again, a ton of this was due to injuries. I'm pretty used to the Giants getting banged up, but this season was a ****ing joke.</P>

</P>

We'll be an even better team next season. Hopefully by that time we'll have our oline figured out. </P>

JMFP2
01-13-2012, 02:29 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

We'll be an even better team next season. Hopefully by that time we'll have our oline figured out. </P>

</P>

On paper, no doubt....maybe we can get a witch doctor to lift our injury curse next season.</P>

I'm still trying to keep an open mind about Baas.....I think he hasn't been 100% all season.</P>

DragonSoul
01-13-2012, 02:50 PM

That still the case?</P>

I'm probably the biggest JR homer, but I'm genuinely curious.</P>While i think he has made some mistakes ALA Baas for one.

I still feel he has done well. Plus people have to realize the cap issue we had this year. But over paying Baas for a sub par year was very bad.

Eli2Nicks612
01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Something that should be brought up is how many injuries Reese's top picks have sustained.
2007:
1st Aaron Ross- Played very well his rookie season. Has had many injuries over his career. He's missed 17 out of 80 games.
2nd Steve Smith- Played very well when he was here, microfracture surgery ended his career here.
3rd Jay Alford- Played well. A torn MCL and partially torn ACL ended his career with the Giants.
2008:
1st Kenny Phillips- Could have been a top safety but microfracture surgery lowered his ceiling. Still a good starter.
2nd Terrel Thomas- Good starter. Torn ACL cost him the season.
2009:
1st Hakeem Nicks- Great player who's missed several games the past few years.
2nd Clint Sintim- Injuries have limited his career including a torn ACL.
2nd Will Beatty- Starter who's injuries have limited his career.
3rd Ramses Barden- Injuries have limited his career.
4th Andre Brown- Potential starter who's torn achilles ended his career with the Giants.
2010:
3rd Chad Jones- We all know what happened.
2011:
1st Prince Amukamara- Broken foot ruins his rookie season
2nd Marvin Austin- Torn Pectoral ends his rookie season.

When you take into account all the injuries, and the fact we still have a good team, you have to conclude Reese has done a good job.

slipknottin
01-13-2012, 02:53 PM
While i think he has made some mistakes ALA Baas for one.

This place loves to rate guys as soon as they get here.

If you watched Snee play all season you would think he was awful too. Let guys get healthy before we go off on them.

Kruunch
01-13-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm generally not thrilled with JR's FA signings. His small signings I like a lot (i.e. Bullock last year and Grant the past two years). but the people who he chooses to dole out some real money baffles me a bit.

I'd like to see his draft evaluation staff get a bit better in the LB department.

Otherwise I could think of much worse GMs then JR.

DragonSoul
01-13-2012, 02:58 PM
While i think he has made some mistakes ALA Baas for one.

This place loves to rate guys as soon as they get here.

If you watched Snee play all season you would think he was awful too. Let guys get healthy before we go off on them.We know what we got with snee. While I agree Baas could and i mean could show something, he has shown nothing ALL year even when healthy, but who knows.

slipknottin
01-13-2012, 03:07 PM
While I agree Baas could and i mean could show something, he has shown nothing ALL year even when healthy, but who knows.

When are you assuming he was healthy?

I think now is the most healthy he has been all season, and hes been playing pretty damn well the past couple weeks.

timmytimm3
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
according to footballoutsiders, giants defense was the 2nd most injured defense they had ever recorded, and their data goes back like 30 years.

HOLY CRAP.

Manning2Niks
01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
My favorite is blaming Reese for the cap situation bc "he's still the GM and the GM is in charge of the cap".

People convienently dismiss the fact that the projected cap number ALL teams were expecting was signifigantly lower after the new CBA was agreed on.

So unless Jerry Reese is also Demaurice Smith I don't know that we can really blame him for our current cap woes.....that have a good chance to be corrected this offseason....

GameTime
01-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Reese and the Giants org as well as Acorsi before him have made it their mission to draft and get players on this team who are men of character. They have been doing it for several years now. </P>

Not too many dumbasses on this team in general. I like to say they are a team withbig timecharacter NOT a team of characters.....</P>

DragonSoul
01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
While I agree Baas could and i mean could show something, he has shown nothing ALL year even when healthy, but who knows.

When are you assuming he was healthy?

I think now is the most healthy he has been all season, and hes been playing pretty damn well the past couple weeks.start of the season I would say he was healthy, while you assume he wasn't all year.

We ran well away from him and usually after bradshaw would make a guy or two miss if we ran in the middle. The only push i see baas make is the push back the def does for him.

And it took about a half to get going in how many games w/him?

GMENAGAIN
01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm generally not thrilled with JR's FA signings. His small signings I like a lot (i.e. Bullock last year and Grant the past two years). but the people who he chooses to dole out some real money baffles me a bit. I'd like to see his draft evaluation staff get a bit better in the LB department. Otherwise I could think of much worse GMs then JR.</P>

You liked the Bullock signing? Damn, that guy wascompletely shot. . . . . </P>

fansince69
01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
I have been a Reese supporter since he took over....Is her perfect? of course not...who is? I think in general his picks and moves are solid even if not sexy.....People on the boards seem to have chicken little syndrome as I believe F BOMB has stated.......as casual fans and trust me we are all casual fans becuse not one person on this board can claim to have detailed knowledge of the inter workings of the front office..All we see is ther drsaft ...the signing the nonsigning

There are just way too many things that we can't possibly understand that go into those decisions...sometimes we need to sit back and see how it works in the end....they know more than we do....everyone is just too quick to judge based on a knee jerk reaction

In Reese I still trust....

hadenough
01-13-2012, 04:38 PM

That still the case?</P>

I'm probably the biggest JR homer, but I'm genuinely curious.</P>

I don't know how people can't like Reese. Too many people think he should be able to put together a perfect team...will never happen.

With a salary cap...every team will have to make some tough decisions and have some holes. He has been very good. Go look at the drafts from early 2000's and late 1990's...compare them to Reese's.

The majority of teams in the NFL have far worse situations then what Reese is able to bring to the Giants.

Gianthunter
01-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Not my job. And all the wahoos comments only support that. Yeh it's a MB yadda yadda yadda.