PDA

View Full Version : MICHAEL STRAHAN WEIGHS IN ON DIFFERENCE BETWEEN '07 AND '11 GIANTS

RoanokeFan
01-13-2012, 04:00 PM
MICHAEL STRAHAN WEIGHS IN ON DIFFERENCE BETWEEN '07 AND '11 GIANTS (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/michael_strahan_weighs_in_on_difference_between_07 _and_11_new_york_giants/9298835)

"Lately there have been a ton of comparison’s drawn between this year’s New
York Giants and the team that went all the way in 2007.

If you remember, <a href="http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-giants/2012/01/09/2012-nfl-playoffs-this-is-not-the-2007-new-york-giants/">we
gave you a couple reasons why those two teams should not be compared</a>, but
why not let a Giant great do that for you?</p>

<a href="http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/10785/strahan-compares-07-and-11-giants">Michael
Strahan commented on those comparisons</a>, saying each team is/was different.
Quotes thanks to ESPN New York’s Ohm Youngmisuk.</p>
<blockquote>

“I think these are two totally different types of teams,” Strahan said. “Our
team in 2007 was led on the defensive side of the ball. We realized defensively,
and especially up front, we had to get after the quarterback and had some good
secondary play. This year, you can lean on the offense to put points on the
board.”</p></blockquote>

Strahan says one of the main differences is Eli Manning.</p>
<blockquote>

“At that point in 2007, Eli finally started to get his confidence in himself.
We were still a little unsure every game about what was going to happen with
him. I understand the comparisons but I wish this team would have their own
history. This is a good team and they’re hoping that the defense hits the same
hot streak that the offense hit back in 2007 when they needed it the
most.”</p></blockquote>

Strahan also recalls the problems he had adjusting to the coaching style of
Tom Coughlin and compared his situation with what Antrel Rolle has gone through
in his two years with the squad.</p>

Strahan and Coughlin definitely did not see eye to eye, which Strahan admits,
but during that 2007 run they started to gel. Rolle has gone through a similar
transformation this year.</p>
<blockquote>

“A perfect example of a player taking on the personality of their coach is
Antrel Rolle. He’s said, ‘I was forced to play for a coach like this and it’s
ridiculous,’ and now he says that he wouldn’t want to play for any other coach.
Tom Coughlin tests you to a point and it happened with me.”</p>

“You have to ask yourself ‘do I want to be a part of the problem or a part of
the solution’”Strahan continued. “When you start to buy in and want to be a part
of the solution you realize that he’s a very good coach whose only focus is to
win. It seems like the main guy that needed to buy in, the guys who are the
leaders, like him andChris Canty, believe in it now.”</p></blockquote>

G-Man67
01-13-2012, 04:30 PM
good stuff, i was expecting him to throw in something about 2007 being a more physical team, but he focused on Eli and just on the fact that there are so many new players on the team that they should be given the chance to make their own history

as fans, i think it comes down to the fact that in 2007 we saw a team that, at times, struggled so mightily and then there we were holding the Lombardi trophy

this year we trailed in every single game except the playoff clincher vs. the Boys ... we struggled to even run the ball, which has been a Giants trademark for years and the team didn't have that physical edge on either side of the ball, again another Giants trademark

but now we are hot at the right time, just like in 2007 ... now we are harrassing the heck out of opposing QBs with just 4 rushers just like in 2007 and we've even started to run the ball ... so the comparisons are just natural

so really, the bottom line is that we are more than good enough to win the Super Bowl, but so are most of the remaining teams ... it may as well be the Elite 8 of March madness ... pretty much any outcome is possible

miked1958
01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
good stuff, i was expecting him to throw in something about 2007 being a more physical team, but he focused on Eli and just on the fact that there are so many new players on the team that they should be given the chance to make their own history

as fans, i think it comes down to the fact that in 2007 we saw a team that, at times, struggled so mightily and then there we were holding the Lombardi trophy

this year we trailed in every single game except the playoff clincher vs. the Boys ... we struggled to even run the ball, which has been a Giants trademark for years and the team didn't have that physical edge on either side of the ball, again another Giants trademark

but now we are hot at the right time, just like in 2007 ... now we are harrassing the heck out of opposing QBs with just 4 rushers just like in 2007 and we've even started to run the ball ... so the comparisons are just natural

so really, the bottom line is that we are more than good enough to win the Super Bowl, but so are most of the remaining teams ... it may as well be the Elite 8 of March madness ... pretty much any outcome is possible
Love your 2nd paragraph..
This could be true for this 11 team to

NYG 5
01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
The difference between the two teams is experience VS explosiveness. That team had a ton of veterans and relied on grinding it out on both sides of the ball. This team is a more quick strike team that gets a little more turnovers but gives up bigger plays.

Die-Hard
01-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Nice read

Thanks RF!

gmen46
01-13-2012, 06:35 PM
1) Of all the football media pundits and writers, Strahan is the only one (aside from Pierce, and he's not stayed in as close a contact with the current team as has Michael) that is in a position to know what the hell he's talking about regarding this subject.

2) In my opinion, the 2011 roster--COLLECTIVELY -- is more talented at this point in the season than the 2007 roster in its entirety was in the playoffs

I know many on this board will probably not agree with me, but I believe it to be true.

Of course, there will be a couple of players from 2007 that could arguably be considered to have played better than an individual player of today, but I am saying today's roster as a total collective compares more favorably to the 07 roster.

Better and/or more experienced offensive skill players, better defensive line top to bottom, better top 2 LBs, better and/or more experienced secondary.

The only unit that in 2011 comes up a bit short in comparison to that of 2007 is the OL, and even with that unit we still have the skills and experience of Diehl, Snee, and McKenzie. And those 3 appear to be helping the improvement of Boothe and Baas week-to-week.

egyptian420
01-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Great article, thanks

meanseen
01-13-2012, 07:36 PM
haha great article...at first glance I thought you were gonna tell us how much he physically weighs lol

RoanokeFan
01-13-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't like the comparisons between 2007 and now as we have a totally different team. BUT, there is no denying there are eerie similarities that force us to make the connection. What I think is that the players truly believe the ALL IN philosophy. TC has been orchestrating the concept and now, after listening to a motivational speaker players are talking with the same "voice."

This season has been a journey like no other in recent memory. Yet, here we are, almost inexplicably it might seem, in the playoffs. I've seen comparisons of the GIANTS and packers regular season records. If that won future gamesn,playoff games, we could just mail out game plan in.

The truth is we records goes back to 0-0 at the end of the regular season. We're at 1 - 0 and the packers are still as 0 - 0.

We have a Super Bowl MVP for a QB and so do they.

We have a newly rejuvenated front four on the defensive line that is second to none.

I would put our receivers up against any playoff teams wide receivers. Nicks and Cruz over 1,000 yards during the regular season.

Our secondary, while still battered is still better than theirs.

They may have us a linebacker but I'm expecting a heroic effort from Williams who has been making noise and, of course Boley and Kiwanuka.

We should be confident going into this game and I honestly believe we will be 2 - 0 t the end of the game.

GMan883
01-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Good read, thank you.

Also, we will have to beat teams in the playoffs on the road, that have already beaten us in the regular season. So the whole road warrior, getting revenge aspect brings me back to that '07 run.

NYGRealityCheck
01-14-2012, 10:38 AM
and how many people forgot Eli turning the magical corner in the 2007 playoffs with a awesome passer rating and only 1 INT off Steve Smith popping up the football for the turnover?

Eli's doing it again this playoffs. :>

whowhat
01-14-2012, 02:04 PM
The big difference between 2007 and 2011 is we don't have a quarterback who throws stupid passes in big games. After 1998, Favre was the ultimate big game choke artist.

6 picks against the Rams in the playoffs
Overtime interception in NFC championship game against the Eagles
Overtime interception in NFC championship game against the Giants
Tons of picks against the Vikings in the playoffs.
Etc.