PDA

View Full Version : How much better would we be with...

BigBlueOnes
01-13-2012, 10:26 PM
...all of our starters? Would we be lights out? We still have a big chunk of first "string" talent on IR.

miked1958
01-13-2012, 10:28 PM
...all of our starters? Would we be lights out? We still have a big chunk of first "string" talent on IR.
Yep. TT, Goff, Hixon, Sintum, Beatty.... Others

NY_Eli
01-13-2012, 10:39 PM
It's impossible to tell. Cruz wouldn't have much playing time. Either would J Will, Tolly, and others.

I think it's perfectly possible we wouldn't be any better. The 'next man up' phenomena has grown a new crop of talent for the gmen.

Besides, we saw last year's starters play last year. And we all know how that ended.

This team is playing much better right now than it did at any point last year.

nygiants92
01-14-2012, 12:32 AM
^ I agree

We are missing TT though, and Hixon > Barden

CruzSoldier
01-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Well what is it with TT the man was beatin like a drum last year. Yes he is a sure tackler but he is always burned by good recievers and completely abused by great ones. IMO he wouldnt even be a good conner to cover the other teams slot reciever.

Itlan
01-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Yeah I love TT, but people are remembering him a lot differently than he played. Amazing tackler, great blitzer, almost Charles Woodson-type corner, but Woodson could cover. Woodson could run with the best of them, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, Woodson knows how to play the ball in the air.

It just seems like whenever the ball is in the air, TT just stumbles, or something happens, and he can't make a play on it. The one thing is incredibly good at is undercutting routes, and that's where almost all of his interceptions have come from, not on the deep balls.

jhamburg
01-14-2012, 02:17 AM
It just seems like whenever the ball is in the air, TT just stumbles, or something happens, and he can't make a play on it. .

21 PD 5 INT 4 FF last year, seems strange to pick on his ball skills.

fizzlestick
01-14-2012, 03:17 AM
It just seems like whenever the ball is in the air, TT just stumbles, or something happens, and he can't make a play on it. .

21 PD 5 INT 4 FF last year, seems strange to pick on his ball skills.

How many times did he get thrown at compared to other corners?

edit: found it
<table id="wp-table-reloaded-id-94-no-1" class="wp-table-reloaded wp-table-reloaded-id-94"><thead><tr class="row-1"><th class="column-1">Rank</th><th class="column-2">Player</th><th class="column-3">Team</th><th class="column-4">Cover Snaps</th><th class="column-5">Thrown At</th><th class="column-6">TA/COV</th></tr></thead></table>
<table id="wp-table-reloaded-id-94-no-1" class="wp-table-reloaded wp-table-reloaded-id-94"><tbody><tr class="row-19"><td class="column-1">81</td><td class="column-2">Terrell Thomas</td><td class="column-3">NYG</td><td class="column-4">615</td><td class="column-5">124</td><td class="column-6">20.16%</td></tr></tbody></table>81/83

You're bound to have more PD and int when you get thrown at that much more than the better corners.

miked1958
01-14-2012, 03:38 AM
^ I agree

We are missing TT though, and Hixon > BardenHixon equals RB WR wise but Hixon was more productive then RB. Remember the crazy td catch he was injured on. I feel he was more valuable to us on STs.

Which is why if I had to pick one guy of all the guys on IR to have back it would be hixon. Now i know most would say TT. But bear with me, hear me out.

. He had that IT factor when it came to returning kicks and punts. That's the one thing we don't have this year. No real threat at that position. Hixon was not only a threat, he was a homerun threat..
We could really use some of the long returns and sometimes TDs he would provide for us. He was a game changer when it came to field position.

Our guys now catch it take two steps and go down.

I think it's safe to say we won't see a punt or kickoff returned for 50/60 yards or one for a TD with what we have.....

So Hixon would be the one guy I would bring back if a genie gave us one choice

buddy33
01-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Obviously they miss TT and Goff. Both where ready for big years I believe.

What also hurt this team was losing their 1st round pick for a long amount of time, and losing their 2nd round pick for the entire season. I still think Prince is going to be a very good player and had he not missed all of training camp, pres season, and more than half the regular season he could be contributing more for this team. I thought he did a good job last week in his 1st ever playoff game. Then they had Austin go down and it would have interesting to see his speed in the playoffs especially with the DL getting healthy at the right time.

TroyArcher
01-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Never happens in the NFL. The good news is we are as healthy as we have been all season.

fourth&forever
01-14-2012, 10:31 AM
^ I agree

We are missing TT though, and Hixon > BardenHixon equals RB WR wise but Hixon was more productive then RB. Remember the crazy td catch he was injured on. I feel he was more valuable to us on STs.

Which is why if I had to pick one guy of all the guys on IR to have back it would be hixon. Now i know most would say TT. But bear with me, hear me out.

. He had that IT factor when it came to returning kicks and punts. That's the one thing we don't have this year. No real threat at that position. Hixon was not only a threat, he was a homerun threat..
We could really use some of the long returns and sometimes TDs he would provide for us. He was a game changer when it came to field position.

Our guys now catch it take two steps and go down.

I think it's safe to say we won't see a punt or kickoff returned for 50/60 yards or one for a TD with what we have.....

So Hixon would be the one guy I would bring back if a genie gave us one choice

Good argument. I agree that Hix certainly had "IT". Dom is our best and most consistent return man since I can't remember when. He did give us the advantage on special teams. And... he was still getting better as WR.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.942861.1318372453!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg
youtube of his last catch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmzLcsbmMD4

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Dallas+Cowboys+v+New+York+Giants+FxMb8Ki7F6gl.jpg
youtube of game-clinching return against Dallas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azqo9br91gE

NYGRealityCheck
01-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Without the injury to Hixon, we might not have seen and enjoyed the big play ability of Cruz. It was a blessing in disguise.

There's always going to be a special teams spot for Hixon and if Manningham doesn't return next season, Hixon would be the front-runner to take his spot barring a first round WR draft pick. But having torn his ACL twice already is a concern.

PrideofNY
01-14-2012, 10:51 AM
The only player that would make a big difference is Terrell Thomas.

Hixon to some extent, would have helped a bit on special teams, but he would be no better than the 3rd receiver. Cruz probably would have never seen the field.

RobCarpenter
01-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Obviously they miss TT and Goff. Both where ready for big years I believe. What also hurt this team was losing their 1st round pick for a long amount of time, and losing their 2nd round pick for the entire season. I still think Prince is going to be a very good player and had he not missed all of training camp, pres season, and more than half the regular season he could be contributing more for this team. I thought he did a good job last week in his 1st ever playoff game. Then they had Austin go down and it would have interesting to see his speed in the playoffs especially with the DL getting healthy at the right time.</P>

+1</P>

Regarding TT, hewas a solid CB and was coming into his prime. I'm confident that his presence would have cut down and the big-plays that our Secondary too often let up and would have let Rolle spend more time playing Safety. </P>

Goff was also missedat MLB, not because he's a stud, but because he would have been much better than what we were putting out there.</P>

embeshAtYa
01-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Well what is it with TT the man was beatin like a drum last year. Yes he is a sure tackler but he is always burned by good recievers and completely abused by great ones. IMO he wouldnt even be a good conner to cover the other teams slot reciever.

wow

NYG 5
01-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Goff is Chase Blackburn.

TT was a versatile player, but hes an aggressive player as well. So you get the good with the bad, and he could have been burned a lot with the way the dline was making matt moore look like bart starr.

Although a lot of the secondary issues have come from blown coverages, and his experience would have added some stability to the secondary. Losing him on such a fluke play was terrible.

Losing Hixon as well was terrible because his career might be over.