PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Allen, TE Clemson

Spizi
01-15-2012, 01:35 AM
At this point in the draft process my guy is Dwayne Allen. To me he seems like a guy who we have a realistic shot at getting, and he makes a lot of sense for the Giants. Did you see what Gronkowski just did tonight?!?! or as a matter of fact what he has done all year?!?!

We need a legit pass catching TE and Allen is our answer. He is also a solid run blocker. This means he would not only take our passing game to the next level, but he would also help out our running game.

Look at the Elite offenses this year NE (Gronk) NO (Graham) GB (Finely) Philly (Celek) SD (Gates) DET (Pettigrew) hello great TE's in all of them. Allen would take our offense to that top tier.

Thoughts?

BlueSanta
01-15-2012, 05:21 AM
I am a fan of his as well. While he hasnt been asked to block much, he has the size and strength to learn.

Being perfectly honest,I think our offense shines most with 2 Wrs + TE rather than 3 wrs.

Considering MM is a free agent who may pursue other teams. A good Passcatching TE who, at the very least provides depth at the position would be huge.

Also, as of right now, we have 1 TE signed for next year and thats Beckum, who isnt really a TE at all. I still expect us to try to resign Ballard, because he fits in here. But wee need more at this position. I hope we look to the draft.

nycsportzfan
01-15-2012, 09:25 AM
At this point in the draft process my guy is Dwayne Allen. To me he seems like a guy who we have a realistic shot at getting, and he makes a lot of sense for the Giants. Did you see what Gronkowski just did tonight?!?! or as a matter of fact what he has done all year?!?!

We need a legit pass catching TE and Allen is our answer. He is also a solid run blocker. This means he would not only take our passing game to the next level, but he would also help out our running game.

Look at the Elite offenses this year NE (Gronk) NO (Graham) GB (Finely) Philly (Celek) SD (Gates) DET (Pettigrew) hello great TE's in all of them. Allen would take our offense to that top tier.

Thoughts? I've been saying this for yrs when most were saying we don't use TE that much around here and yada yada yada.. The bottom line is u use whos good and open and when u have players like Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski and Antonio Gates U use them!!!lol Shockey had quite impressive numbers in his prime and even ballard gets used enough for a guy with his talent level(which isn't sensational thats for sure!) I craved getting Tony Gonzalez when we could of gotten him and i wanted Kyle Rudolph last yr and now i really would like to get Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener.. We would have every part of the field loaded with talent and if we re-signed Ballard We'd have a exceptional 2TE's.. Allen is a Antonio Gates clone and Fleener has a nice skill set as well

Look at the teams in the postseason and how important TE's are to them

49ers= Vernon Davis(stud TE who just completely dominated the saints yesterday)

Pats= Gronk and Hernandez( just 2 downright studs! And the pats hardly used TE's that much during brady's reign but again when u got this kinda talent u use em without hindering but only helping your team)

Saints= J Graham( A super stud for a team who again didn't use TE's like that before he was there but when u have a talent like this U use em for the good of your team)

Texans= O Daniels( Underrated pass catcher whos a huge part of what the texans do and if he was healthy all the time would be even better then he all ready is)

Ravens= Ed ****son/D Pitta( 2 up and comers for the Ravens who have been pretty big this yr and are developing nicely for the Ravens)

Bengals= J Gresham( gotten better one yr to the next and is poised to have real big season in yr 3 with Andy Dalton having been with him a full season now Ultra Talented!)

Lions= B Pettigrew( Another player whos only getting better and better and is a huge part of there offense and ridiculously talented TE)

Packers= Finley( super talented pass catcher who is a key cog in that potent offense and is probably gonna get franchised after the season which shows his importance in the offense)

That says it all right there! Outside of the Broncos and Giants(who have ballard whos been pretty big for us) every team has bigtime talent at the TE spot and i don't find that as coincidence at all!

Shockeyitus
01-15-2012, 12:04 PM
I see your argument about Dwayne Allen...However, not in the first round. If he makes it to us in round 2, then by all means. Lets get him!!</P>

Davis, Gresham and Pettigrew are the only ones on your list that were first round picks... </P>

Tyler Eifert is a guy that I really like... If he decides to declare for the draft, he would be a fantastic pick up in round 2-3. </P>

A sleeper TE in this draft is Nick Provo out of Syracuse. Pass catching TE that can really stretch the field. </P>

</P>

Shockeyitus
01-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Also....</P>

Ladarius Green... Louisiana Lafayette.....ultra talented pass catching TE. From what I read, he really needs to improve his blocking. </P>

nycsportzfan
01-15-2012, 12:10 PM
I see your argument about Dwayne Allen...However, not in the first round. If he makes it to us in round 2, then by all means. Lets get him!!</p>

Davis, Gresham and Pettigrew are the only ones on your list that were first round picks... </p>

Tyler Eifert is a guy that I really like... If he decides to declare for the draft, he would be a fantastic pick up in round 2-3. </p>

A sleeper TE in this draft is Nick Provo out of Syracuse. Pass catching TE that can really stretch the field. </p>

</p> Those were the only 3 first rounders but u gotta remember those are 3 all around TE's and Dwayne Allen falls in that "all around" category.. Not to mention u are seeing these first rounders more and more recently as its plain as day how important they are and can be if u get a good one... Gronkowski would of been a sure fire 1st rounder if not for the back injury as well(shoot he all most got into rd 1 anyways!!lol)

Spizi
01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?

Shockeyitus
01-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?</P>

I know mock drafts are just someshmucks opinion on what teams should draft. But, lets use them as a gage of how the NFL draft could play out. If you look at the projected late first round picks, would you be willing to pass on these guys?</P>

Vontaz Burfict, ILB</P>

Donta Hightower, ILB</P>

Lamar Miller, RB</P>

Michael Floyd, WR</P>

Whitney Mercilus, DE</P>

Giants should also be considered for 1 or 2 comp picks... Steve Smith, Barry Coefield, Kevin Boss</P>

nycsportzfan
01-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?</p>

I know mock drafts are just someshmucks opinion on what teams should draft. But, lets use them as a gage of how the NFL draft could play out. If you look at the projected late first round picks, would you be willing to pass on these guys?</p>

Vontaz Burfict, ILB</p>

Donta Hightower, ILB</p>

Lamar Miller, RB</p>

Michael Floyd, WR</p>

Whitney Mercilus, DE</p>

Giants should also be considered for 1 or 2 comp picks... Steve Smith, Barry Coefield, Kevin Boss</p> Floyd is gonna be way gone and thats taking 90pct of mock drafts into consideration as all most everyone has him gonna in the 13-20range and Hightower dosen't fit our Defense at all as hes 260lb mlb built for a 3/4 team and Burfict has stunk this whole past season and i just don't think hes the answer and he could be gone anyways or drop into round 2 and i think Whitney is gonna fly up draft boards because hes a Flat out stud and there is a ton of depth at RB(david wilson/ chris polk/ bernard pierce/ lamichael james/ vick ballard/ ronnie hillman/ robert turbin etc) that u could wait on RB if u wanted as theres way more solid RB's then TE's in this draft.. If Whitney is on board I'd certainly take em and u could make a case for miller but outside of that none of those other guys really do it for me or seem to fit our team

Voldamort
01-15-2012, 03:44 PM
in what round?

Spizi
01-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?</p>

I know mock drafts are just some*shmucks opinion on what teams should draft. But, lets use them as a gage of how the NFL draft could play out. If you look at the projected late first round picks, would you be willing to pass on these guys?</p>

Vontaz Burfict, ILB</p>

Donta Hightower, ILB</p>

Lamar Miller, RB</p>

Michael Floyd, WR</p>

Whitney Mercilus, DE</p>

Giants should also be considered for 1 or 2 comp picks... Steve Smith, Barry Coefield, Kevin Boss</p> Floyd is gonna be way gone and thats taking 90pct of mock drafts into consideration as all most everyone has him gonna in the 13-20range**** and Hightower dosen't fit our Defense at all as hes 260lb mlb** built for a 3/4 team*** and Burfict has stunk this whole past season and i just don't think hes the answer and he could be gone anyways or drop into round 2*** and i think Whitney is gonna fly up draft boards because hes a Flat out stud*** and there is a ton of depth at RB(david wilson/ chris polk/ bernard pierce/ lamichael james/ vick ballard/ ronnie hillman/ robert turbin etc) that u could wait on RB* if u wanted**** as theres way more solid* RB's then TE's in this draft..* If Whitney is on board** I'd certainly take em*** and u could make a case for miller** but outside of that* none of those other guys really do it for me or seem to fit our team

My thoughts exactly. That's why I think Allen is the most logical choice.

nycsportzfan
01-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you? The way TE's are performing u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on.. There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2 waiting to realize this u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1 because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc... Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1

Shockeyitus
01-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you? The way TE's are performing u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on.. There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2 waiting to realize this u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1 because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc... Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
</P>

I understand your logic and I appreciate your ideas that the TE position was changing. With that said, I feel that depending on how the draft falls, there will be other options that Reese will look at in Round 1. If certain players are no longer on the board, the I feel Allen would be a definate option. I still like Eifert or Fleener in round 2. </P>

Spizi
01-16-2012, 01:25 AM
Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?*** The way TE's are performing**** u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em* which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on..** There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2* waiting to realize this*** u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1* because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc...** Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
</P>

I understand your logic and I appreciate your ideas that the TE position was changing. With that said, I feel that depending on how the draft falls, there will be other options that Reese will look at in Round 1. If certain players are no longer on the board, the I feel Allen would be a definate option. I still like Eifert or Fleener in round 2. </P>

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd.

nycsportzfan
01-16-2012, 02:21 AM
</p>

I understand your logic and I appreciate your ideas that the TE position was changing. With that said, I feel that depending on how the draft falls, there will be other options that Reese will look at in Round 1. If certain players are no longer on the board, the I feel Allen would be a definate option. I still like Eifert or Fleener in round 2. </p>

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd. I like Eiftert and Fleener as well but Allen is the best TE in this draft as far as complete TE all though those other 2 have ability to be the better pick down the line as u can always be wrong about prospects.. Is Eifert even declaring? Anyhow i agree if someone else is there and they pick em i'm totally Ok with that (allen's not the only player i like) I would also love Whitney mercilus if hes on board! These would be my TOP 5hopeful's trying to be as realistic as possible..

1. Whitney mercilus DE Illinois- I freakin love this kids motor and ability to strip the ball and get to the qb.. I'd be shocked if he didn't fly up draft boards! But as of now going on some mocks i've seen he could possibly be there.. This is Dream Scenario for me!

2. Dwayne Allen TE Clemson- explained throughout thread

3. Chase minnifield CB Virginia- I think this kids gonna be a stud and i like his ability to play the ball and length.. I think Casey Haywards just as good but it seems as of now Hayward is a reach at this point all though i woulden't be surprised if he does go higher once draft arrives..

4. Fletcher Cox DT miss st- This kid can flat out play! A playmaking DT who looks to be a all around DT who does everything well! I'm super high on this kid! I also like Devon Still a ton!

5. Janoris Jenkins CB No Ala- This kid put togheter big games against some super talented wr's when with florida and is not the speediest but can flat out stick with a guy and has solid technique and ball skills! Also could be special return guy at NFL level..

Hon mention= Peter Konz C Wisc and Devon Still DT Penn St

Spizi
01-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?*** The way TE's are performing**** u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em* which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on..** There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2* waiting to realize this*** u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1* because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc...** Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
</p>

I understand your logic and I appreciate your ideas that the TE position was changing. With that said, I feel that depending on how the draft falls, there will be other options that Reese will look at in Round 1. If certain players are no longer on the board, the I feel Allen would be a definate option. I still like Eifert or Fleener in round 2. </p>

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd. I like Eiftert and Fleener as well** but Allen is the best TE in this draft** as far as complete TE** all though those other 2 have ability to be the better pick down the line as u can always be wrong about prospects.. Is Eifert even declaring?**** Anyhow*** i agree if someone else is there** and they pick em** i'm* totally Ok with that (allen's not the only player i like)****** I would also love Whitney mercilus if hes on board!** These would be my TOP 5hopeful's*** trying to be as realistic as possible..

1. Whitney mercilus DE Illinois- I freakin love this kids motor and ability to strip the ball and get to the qb.. I'd be shocked if he didn't fly up draft boards!* But as of now* going on some mocks i've seen** he could possibly be there..* This is Dream Scenario for me!

3. Chase minnifield CB Virginia- I think this kids gonna be a stud* and i like his ability to play the ball and length..** I think Casey Haywards just as good but it seems as of now** Hayward is a reach at this point* all though i woulden't be surprised if he does go higher once draft arrives..

4. Fletcher Cox DT miss st- This kid can flat out play!* A playmaking DT who looks to be* a all around DT who does everything well! I'm super high on this kid!* I also like Devon Still a ton!

5. Janoris Jenkins CB No Ala- This kid put togheter big games against some super talented wr's when with florida* and is not the speediest but can flat out stick with a guy and has solid technique and ball skills! Also could be special return guy at NFL level..

Hon mention= Peter Konz* C Wisc*** and Devon Still DT Penn St

That would be sick to get value like that out of Mercilus but idk about ANOTHER de. I was thinking more like next year not so soon. It's never too soon with Jerry though.

myles2424
01-16-2012, 05:24 AM
The closer we get to picking at the end of the 1st round, I see our whole outlook on the draft changing...
I think we may as well forget about a 1st round LB.....
I see us leaning towards a TE like Allen,interior Line, or possibly DT....there won't be a Safety in the first.....I can't see us drafting a DE,CB,RB,or WR in the first....impact LBs like kuechly,brown,& burfict will be gone....don't see hightower as a fit.....
Some were discussing Allen as a early-mid 2nd rounder....I see him sneaking into the late 1st, I wouldnt be upset with him,A center like Peter Konz, or a DT...

I'd still like to pick up a LB 2nd-3rd like lavonte David,Travis Lewis, or Danny trevathan...

Replace mckenzie through FA if possible...

Spizi
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
The closer we get to picking at the end of the 1st round, I see our whole outlook on the draft changing...
I think we may as well forget about a 1st round LB.....
I see us leaning towards a TE like Allen,interior Line, or possibly DT....there won't be a Safety in the first.....I can't see us drafting a DE,CB,RB,or WR in the first....impact LBs like kuechly,brown,& burfict will be gone....don't see hightower as a fit.....
Some were discussing Allen as a early-mid 2nd rounder....I see him sneaking into the late 1st, I wouldnt be upset with him,A center like Peter Konz, or a DT...

I'd still like to pick up a LB 2nd-3rd like lavonte David,Travis Lewis, or Danny trevathan...

Replace mckenzie through FA if possible...

I think Brown will still be there tbh. With Manningham most likely gone imagine Alshon Jeffery?? That would be the best WR core in the NFL! Still I'd rather have Allen because athletic TEs cause mismatches in the middle that can be a 3rd down/redzone nightmare. No offense to Ballard because he's played well beyond his physical abilities, but no one fears him and he isn't really a dual mismatch. Dual mismatch= Size to beat safetys and speed to beat linebackers.

slipknottin
01-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Gotta throw out Coby Fleener here too. Reminds me more of Gronk than Allen does.

Raptor22
01-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Gotta throw out Coby Fleener here too. Reminds me more of Gronk than Allen does.

Fleener would be an acceptable late 2nd, but I'm not really sold on him in the 1st. It just doesn't look like he would scare anybody the way Gronk/Gates/Graham/Davis does. More like a more-athletic Boss to me.

(not that that's a bad thing. Fleener could be a good pairing with Ballard)

...does USF have a TE in the draft?

Edit: George Bryan (NC State) and David Paulson (Oregon) could both be mid-later round possibilities, or possibly even risers if they have solid combines/workouts.

Bryan in particular could jump. Everything I've seen about him says he's not only a solid blocker, but he's got hands like glue... The only real knock on him (apart from playing for NC State) is that he's slow. if he can turn in a respectable 40, he could be a steal.

Shockeyitus
01-16-2012, 03:56 PM
George Bryan, David Paulson? There are better options in Round 2 or 3 than them. </P>

Fleener, Eifert.... Orson Charles could be an interesting option in Round 3 or 4. Super athlete but not the typical size that we need. </P>

Raptor22
01-16-2012, 04:23 PM
George Bryan, David Paulson? There are better options in Round 2 or 3 than them. </p>

Fleener, Eifert.... Orson Charles could be an interesting option in Round 3 or 4. Super athlete but not the typical size that we need. </p>

I was thinking end of rounds 3-5, depending on combine numbers.

nycsportzfan
01-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Gotta throw out Coby Fleener here too. Reminds me more of Gronk than Allen does. Oh ya Fleener is certainly a nice looking TE.. Allen reminds me of Antonio Gates kindaTE and Fleener is in the mold of that Tall lean pass catching TE kinda like last yrs 2nd rounder Kyle Rudolph(who i really liked)

nycsportzfan
01-16-2012, 05:24 PM

Fleener would be an acceptable late 2nd, but I'm not really sold on him in the 1st. It just doesn't look like he would scare anybody the way Gronk/Gates/Graham/Davis does. More like a more-athletic Boss to me.

Edit: George Bryan (NC State) and David Paulson (Oregon) could both be mid-later round possibilities, or possibly even risers if they have solid combines/workouts.

Bryan in particular could jump. Everything I've seen about him says he's not only a solid blocker, but he's got hands like glue... The only real knock on him (apart from playing for NC State) is that he's slow. if he can turn in a respectable 40, he could be a steal.
Ya George Bryan's stock dropped because of this past season but that had more to do with the loss of Russell Wilson who had a good repoire with Bryan .. THe new State QB(glennon) didn't really gel with Bryan all that well it seemed. If u get George Bryan in RD 4 or 5 you got yourself a steal.. I think he'll do wonders with a good throwing QB like Eli.. I like that Temple kid Evan Rodriguez and i'd take a gamble on Brian Linthicum outta michigan st as well in the mid to late rounds if we wait on picking a TE

nycsportzfan
01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
</p>

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd. I like Eiftert and Fleener as well but Allen is the best TE in this draft as far as complete TE all though those other 2 have ability to be the better pick down the line as u can always be wrong about prospects.. Is Eifert even declaring? Anyhow i agree if someone else is there and they pick em i'm totally Ok with that (allen's not the only player i like) I would also love Whitney mercilus if hes on board! These would be my TOP 5hopeful's trying to be as realistic as possible..

1. Whitney mercilus DE Illinois- I freakin love this kids motor and ability to strip the ball and get to the qb.. I'd be shocked if he didn't fly up draft boards! But as of now going on some mocks i've seen he could possibly be there.. This is Dream Scenario for me!

3. Chase minnifield CB Virginia- I think this kids gonna be a stud and i like his ability to play the ball and length.. I think Casey Haywards just as good but it seems as of now Hayward is a reach at this point all though i woulden't be surprised if he does go higher once draft arrives..

4. Fletcher Cox DT miss st- This kid can flat out play! A playmaking DT who looks to be a all around DT who does everything well! I'm super high on this kid! I also like Devon Still a ton!

5. Janoris Jenkins CB No Ala- This kid put togheter big games against some super talented wr's when with florida and is not the speediest but can flat out stick with a guy and has solid technique and ball skills! Also could be special return guy at NFL level..

That would be sick to get value like that out of Mercilus but idk about ANOTHER de. I was thinking more like next year not so soon. It's never too soon with Jerry though. Whitney mercilus would be the exception pick for going DE in rd 1.. Hes outstanding and i think hes gonna be one of the bigger impact defensive players to come outta this draft.. Also one yr to the next u can see what seems like a strength become a weakness.. U gotta keep stocking what your team uses as a identity and for us its Defensive Line

tdawg1413
01-16-2012, 05:45 PM
</p>

That would be sick to get value like that out of Mercilus but idk about ANOTHER de. I was thinking more like next year not so soon. It's never too soon with Jerry though. Whitney mercilus would be the exception pick for going DE in rd 1.. Hes outstanding and i think hes gonna be one of the bigger impact defensive players to come outta this draft.. Also one yr to the next u can see what seems like a strength become a weakness.. U gotta keep stocking what your team uses as a identity and for us its Defensive Line

Now that I think we will hang on to Osi for another year, I am not sure we would go DE in the first round. If we did take Mercilus, I would not be upset but I think MLB, TE, or a RT/G would be our pick.

Spizi
01-16-2012, 06:46 PM
</p>

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd. I like Eiftert and Fleener as well** but Allen is the best TE in this draft** as far as complete TE** all though those other 2 have ability to be the better pick down the line as u can always be wrong about prospects.. Is Eifert even declaring?**** Anyhow*** i agree if someone else is there** and they pick em** i'm* totally Ok with that (allen's not the only player i like)****** I would also love Whitney mercilus if hes on board!** These would be my TOP 5hopeful's*** trying to be as realistic as possible..

1. Whitney mercilus DE Illinois- I freakin love this kids motor and ability to strip the ball and get to the qb.. I'd be shocked if he didn't fly up draft boards!* But as of now* going on some mocks i've seen** he could possibly be there..* This is Dream Scenario for me!

3. Chase minnifield CB Virginia- I think this kids gonna be a stud* and i like his ability to play the ball and length..** I think Casey Haywards just as good but it seems as of now** Hayward is a reach at this point* all though i woulden't be surprised if he does go higher once draft arrives..

4. Fletcher Cox DT miss st- This kid can flat out play!* A playmaking DT who looks to be* a all around DT who does everything well! I'm super high on this kid!* I also like Devon Still a ton!

5. Janoris Jenkins CB No Ala- This kid put togheter big games against some super talented wr's when with florida* and is not the speediest but can flat out stick with a guy and has solid technique and ball skills! Also could be special return guy at NFL level..

Hon mention= Peter Konz* C Wisc*** and Devon Still DT Penn St

That would be sick to get value like that out of Mercilus but idk about ANOTHER de. I was thinking more like next year not so soon. It's never too soon with Jerry though. Whitney mercilus would be the exception pick for going DE in rd 1..* Hes outstanding and i think hes gonna be one of the* bigger impact defensive players to come outta this draft..* Also* one yr to the next u can see what seems like a strength become a weakness..* U gotta keep stocking what your team* uses as a identity* and for us* its* Defensive Line

Now that I think we will hang on to Osi for another year, I am not sure we would go DE in the first round. If we did take Mercilus, I would not be upset but I think MLB, TE, or a RT/G would be our pick.

See that's the way we the fans think. But as a GM you can't think like that. I think that we can wait until the 2013 draft to get a DE because of Osi being gone, and Tuck getting older and in a contract year but what if there isn't one then?? That's why Mercilus honestly might make sense.

Kruunch
01-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Thoughts?

When I was perusing the mock drafts (especially after we beat the Packers) I was thinking of this guy too.

Unless they decide to go corner (and the guys available at the end of the first are all small with speed question marks) I could see Dwayen Allen being a REALLY sexy pick.

Unfortunately we also have need at OT, LB, CB and possibly DE (depending what happens with Osi next year).

We'll also need to be looking at RB heavily.

But I really like Dwayne Allen in the first and no way he's available at the end of the second round.

nycsportzfan
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
</p>

Ya but u gotta remember just a bit ago Osi was missing games with yet another injury and if anything u should be smart and realize the guys value isn't gonna go up better then it is right now thanks to this playoff run and u gotta think outside of what hes doing now and think about his entire career and how he is yet another yr older and playing for his next and probably last contract and the fact hes oft injured and what not.. I see this little run by OSI as a great opp for us to actually get something for him as a few weeks ago we'd of been lucky to get a 4th rounder for him

CRUZ12BLUE80
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Dwayne Allen is hyped and over rated, his blocking is ok, but just look at his draft analysis on youtube, he has ALOT of drops, actually kinda reminds me of Ballard has some similarities. Please don't waste a first on Allen when Paulson, Coby Fleener, Nick Provo, Orson Charles(needs improvement blocking) are all coming into this draft. Tyler Eiffert woulda been perfect shockey reincarnate with less attitude but don't think he's entering the draft?

critters
01-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Orson Charles in the 2nd Rd.

Spizi
01-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Dwayne Allen is hyped and over rated, his blocking is ok, but just look at his draft analysis on youtube, he has ALOT of drops, actually kinda reminds me of Ballard has some similarities. Please don't waste a first on Allen when Paulson, Coby Fleener, Nick Provo, Orson Charles(needs improvement blocking) are all coming into this draft. Tyler Eiffert woulda been perfect shockey reincarnate with less attitude but don't think he's entering the draft?

Allen is the best TE in the draft Mr.Youtube scout lol

CRUZ12BLUE80
01-18-2012, 05:44 PM
negative "spizi", mr jump to conclusions i didn't even base my assesments on the recent orange bowl where he had very little impact for the best TE in the class, with cheesecake hands dropping as soon as contact from the safety came, imagine when an nfl hard hitting safety jars those balls loose. Bottom line, he is not a sure handed TE, and don't let the hype of the nfl scouts brainwash you about Allen and his athleticism David Paulson, Fleener, or the NC state TE with "glue hands. aren't far behind.

EliTE
01-18-2012, 07:06 PM
i don't watch/follow college sports so i can't comment on which TE is the best or which one we should draft, but i do believe we should try to make our strength even stronger in the sense of we need to surround eli with as many weapons as possible. O-line is obviously a pretty big need as well but a playmaker at TE would be excellent. even a receiver or running back in the earlier part of the draft would be OK with me.

Spizi
01-18-2012, 07:28 PM
negative "spizi", mr jump to conclusions i didn't even base my assesments on the recent orange bowl where he had very little impact for the best TE in the class, with cheesecake hands dropping as soon as contact from the safety came, imagine when an nfl hard hitting safety jars those balls loose. Bottom line, he is not a sure handed TE, and don't let the hype of the nfl scouts brainwash you about Allen and his athleticism David Paulson, Fleener, or the NC state TE with "glue hands. aren't far behind.

So what did you base your conclusion on?? I'm guessing you've watched hours of game tape on him like all the scouts who list him as a top 32 prospect.

TheEnigma
01-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I really like Dwayne Allen at #29 since he's certainly higher than that spot on my board but I could see a team snatching him up before our pick.

Some other alternatives I like would be the following:

Whitney Mercilus, DE - You can never have enough depth at pass rusher and I really don't see us paying Osi the money he wants anyway. Might not drop that far down.

Peter Konz, C - This pick could give us our future center for the next 10 or more years. What about Baas? Kick him over to LG to compete with Boothe and Petrus since Diehl is doo-doo at both LT and LG.

Zach Brown, OLB - Has the ability to play either WLB or SOLB and could fit in our 3 safety package. He might drop down to us due to the position he plays.

Mark Barron, S - It's possible we could also take the best Safety in the draft as well. Deon Grant won't be around forever and even though Tyler Sash was just drafted last year, they aren't the same type of Safeties and as much as we love the Chad Jones story, never know what will happen with him.

Trade out of the 1st - This is a possibility as well. Maybe one of the QB needy teams that were too high for Luck and RG3 picked a more talented player at their pick instead of reaching and decide to get their guy at this spot? Who knows...

eli2cruz
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
dre kirkpatrick just got caught with some weed, that will certinaly hurt his draft spot. Anybody have any intrest in him ?

Spizi
01-20-2012, 01:04 AM
dre kirkpatrick just got caught with some weed, that will certinaly hurt his draft spot. Anybody have any intrest in him ?

hell yes! but that won't drop him to 32. Janoris Jenkins makes getting caught with weed seem like nothing and he's most likely a first rounder.

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 02:29 AM

wouldnt that be interesting if he fell to the giants.

eli2cruz
01-20-2012, 11:50 AM

hell yes! but that won't drop him to 32. Janoris Jenkins makes getting caught with weed seem like nothing and he's most likely a first rounder.

Last year janoris was projected to be the 11th overall pick now I see him being projected as a second. I have rarely seen him projected as a first. And a year has passed over for janoris, so dre just now gettin caught will probably drasstically hurt his draft status.

Spizi
01-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Last year janoris was projected to be the 11th overall pick now I see him being projected as a second. I have rarely seen him projected as a first. And a year has passed over for janoris, so dre just now gettin caught will probably drasstically hurt his draft status.

dude it's weed. you really think that's gonna drop him to 32? i would love it but I doubt it.

CGYgiant
01-20-2012, 12:53 PM

dude it's weed. you really think that's gonna drop him to 32? i would love it but I doubt it.

Manningham was atop mayocks WR rankings and he fell of the top 5 after the weed. Might have something to do with Manningham lying as well.

Spizi
01-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Manningham was atop mayocks WR rankings and he fell of the top 5 after the weed. Might have something to do with Manningham lying as well.

well if Dre falls he's my number 1 target.

Raptor22
01-20-2012, 07:36 PM

well if Dre falls he's my number 1 target.

Abso-freakin'-loutely

He would be far and away BPA. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he did drop. It's amazing how GM's talk themselves out of picks. Just look at prince last year.

myles2424
01-21-2012, 04:44 AM

well if Dre falls he's my number 1 target. just curious, you really think we'd draft another cb in the 1st to sit the bench? Webster,Thomas,prince,Ross, & Kirkpatrick? Just wondering...

myles2424
01-21-2012, 04:44 AM

well if Dre falls he's my number 1 target. just curious, you really think we'd draft another cb in the 1st to sit the bench? Webster,Thomas,prince,Ross, & Kirkpatrick? Just wondering...

nycsportzfan
01-21-2012, 08:02 AM

well if Dre falls he's my number 1 target. just curious, you really think we'd draft another cb in the 1st to sit the bench? Webster,Thomas,prince,Ross, &amp; Kirkpatrick? Just wondering... U do realize TT and Ross are both FA's right?

eli2cruz
01-21-2012, 10:11 AM

Actually I think we would if he fell to us. He could solidify our secondary and we really don't know what were getting back with t.t from his injury. It would be great to have to young lockdown corners in prince and dre. Seeing as prince gets a training camp and doesn't miss half of the season. The more we talk about this the more I want it to happen. I just wonder if reese would have the stones to draft a kid that just got busted for weed, he would have to know that has to come to and end though.

Spizi
01-21-2012, 11:42 AM

um yes. Absolutely. as said above me Ross and TT are free agents and TT is coming off an ACL. Web turns 30 in march, and Prince is an unproven rookie. Solid CB depth is a NEED.

bLuereverie
01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Am I the only one that wants Fleener, even if Allen is still on the boards?

Shockeyitus
01-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Am I the only one that wants Fleener, even if Allen is still on the boards?</P>

I prefer Fleener as well... Allen is a nice weapon, but I just like Fleeners game is better. Both are going to be good players, but Fleener seemed to step it up in big games, where it seemed that Allen got lost. i.e. 2012 Orange Bowl. </P>

nycsportzfan
01-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Am I the only one that wants Fleener, even if Allen is still on the boards? I think it depends on what kinda TE u like? Allen reminds me alot of Antonio Gates who when healthy is the best TE i've ever seen play(again when healthy).. If u can get half of that then i'm more then happy.. Fleener reminds me of Kyle Rudolph(who i think is gonna be very good) and i have no problems with that either but i like allen just a bit more and think hes worthy of 1st rd consideration just a bit more becuase of his upside.. Allens potential is a bit greater then that of Fleener..

Wes
01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
We have alot of needs, Id rather look at a LB or OT in round one. Zach Brown or Maybe Z. Sanders or even Mike Adams. KMack is old, Boley is still good but aging. There are some decent TEs in this draft that could be gotten in the 2nd or 3rd round.

slipknottin
01-23-2012, 06:40 PM
We have alot of needs, Id rather look at a LB or OT in round one.* Zach Brown or Maybe Z. Sanders or even Mike Adams.* KMack is old, Boley is still good but aging.* There are some decent TEs in this draft that could be gotten in the 2nd or 3rd round.*

Ive been really looking at Mike Adams. Comparable size wise to McKenzie. Moves really well for a guy his size, especially if we are going to be playing him at RT.

Really dont have much interest in zach brown.

bLuereverie
01-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Has anyone watched Zebrie Sanders? Only vid I have of him is that hilarious play where he falls asleep at the line.

Spizi
02-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Coby Fleener has been rising up the draft boards lately. Who do you guys like between Allen and Fleener. While Allen looks to be more like 6'3, Fleener is a HUGE target at 6'6 and has really good straight line speed. I'd be happy with either one honestly.

wideright91
02-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Coby Fleener has been rising up the draft boards lately. Who do you guys like between Allen and Fleener. While Allen looks to be more like 6'3, Fleener is a HUGE target at 6'6 and has really good straight line speed. I'd be happy with either one honestly.

I prefer Fleener. Fleener is noticeably bigger &amp; (much) faster with better blocking ability. Slight tip to Allen for route-running, but he's got zero YAC ability.

Neverend
02-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Fleener is very good. Very few flaws in his game.

Not sure if I completely like his skill set though. I prefer a TE that has the skill set of being very physical at the point of the catch provided by strong hands with elite body contorting skills. Fleener has decent ball skills, but not Jermichael Finley/Tony Gonzalez-like ball skills. Fleener reminds me more of a Dallas Clark (with better blocking and size), someone who makes plays with great quickness and speed. In the NFL, perhaps a receiver that can make catches against tight coverage is better than a receiver that gets better separation but struggles against contested coverage

slipknottin
02-04-2012, 09:13 PM

I think Allen is never going to be an inline TE, Fleener at least theoretically has the frame to grow into an inline guy.

BlueSanta
02-07-2012, 11:14 AM

I think Allen is never going to be an inline TE, Fleener at least theoretically has the frame to grow into an inline guy.

I do not agree. Allen is listed at 6'4 255 and he is very strong already . I agree he doesnt have the room to add much wieght to his frame as much as Fleener, but that is also because he is much stronger than Fleener as they stand right now. I'd be happy with either player, I like em both. But unless the Tigers are lieing in their media book about his size(wouldnt be the 1st time) he has pretty ideal size tp be an in line TE.

We wont really know until the combine when we get the real numbers on these guys measurable as far as whether or not they truly possess the size their college teams say they do.

Spizi
02-07-2012, 02:05 PM

I do not agree. Allen is listed at 6'4 255 and he is very strong already . I agree he doesnt have the room to add much wieght to his frame as much as Fleener, but* that is also because he is much stronger than Fleener as they stand right now. I'd be happy with either player, I like em both. But unless the Tigers are lieing in their media book about his size(wouldnt be the 1st time) he has pretty ideal size tp be an in line TE.

We wont really know until the combine when we get the real numbers on these guys measurable as far as whether or not they truly possess the size their college teams say they do.

I do think they're lying about Allen's height. He looks more like 6'3 at best.

deekay7685
02-07-2012, 02:20 PM

I do not agree. Allen is listed at 6'4 255 and he is very strong already . I agree he doesnt have the room to add much wieght to his frame as much as Fleener, but* that is also because he is much stronger than Fleener as they stand right now. I'd be happy with either player, I like em both. But unless the Tigers are lieing in their media book about his size(wouldnt be the 1st time) he has pretty ideal size tp be an in line TE.

I do think they're lying about Allen's height. He looks more like 6'3.

vernon davis is 6'3.
allen was primarily an inline te at clemson.
less so for fleener- a former wr who had one concussion already.

Spizi
02-07-2012, 02:26 PM

I do think they're lying about Allen's height. He looks more like 6'3.

vernon davis is 6'3.
allen was primarily an inline te at clemson.
less so for fleener- a former wr who had one concussion already.

He also runs a 4.3... you can't compare the 2

Spizi
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
also, obviously height doesn't matter at the end of the day if yre a good player. The thing about Gronk is that not only is he 6'6, but he also has 36" arms and 10.75" hands. He simply can box out any player in the league with that length.

Redeyejedi
02-07-2012, 02:36 PM
also, obviously height doesn't matter at the end of the day if yre a good player. The thing about Gronk is that not only is he 6'6, but he also has 36" arms and 10.75" hands. He simply can box out any player in the league with that length.I read today they Gronk failed the Colts pre draft Physical and was removed from there board.Supposedly has back issues they didnt think he would last long

Redeyejedi
02-07-2012, 02:38 PM
We have alot of needs, Id rather look at a LB or OT in round one.* Zach Brown or Maybe Z. Sanders or even Mike Adams.* KMack is old, Boley is still good but aging.* There are some decent TEs in this draft that could be gotten in the 2nd or 3rd round.*

Ive been really looking at Mike Adams. Comparable size wise to McKenzie. Moves really well for a guy his size, especially if we are going to be playing him at RT.

Really dont have much interest in zach brown.I really believe they will pick Mike Adams if he is there. He will test pretty well could see him going a lot higher then people are projecting

Redeyejedi
02-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Bryan in particular could jump. Everything I've seen about him says he's not only a solid blocker, but he's got hands like glue... The only real knock on him (apart from playing for NC State) is that he's slow. if he can turn in a respectable 40, he could be a steal.*
Ya George Bryan's stock dropped because of this past season** but that had more to do with the loss of Russell Wilson who had a good repoire with Bryan ..* THe new State* QB(glennon)* didn't really gel with Bryan all that well** it seemed.*** If u get George Bryan* in RD 4 or 5** you got yourself a steal..* I think he'll do wonders with a good throwing QB like Eli..** I like that Temple kid* Evan Rodriguez** and* i'd take a gamble on Brian Linthicum outta michigan st as well in the mid to late rounds**** if we wait on picking a* TE
George Bryan will probably go undrafted from what Ive heard. A lot of people think he may switch to OT because he just cant run at all. I think it was Bunting said he may run a 5.2 40