PDA

View Full Version : I've been reported...

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 08:07 PM
...to the MODS for violating "copyright laws" by creating the NEWS ARTICLES threads. Not being a copyright attorney, as I am sure the individual reporting me must be, I've written to two of the public domain outlets I used to copy and paste the "links". I've asked them if what I do is copyright infringement and will share their answers (assuming I get answers) with one and all. Should I get answers I will then communicate with all of the outlets to seek permission to provide links top their sites to others.

It was suggested that I could simply not post the whole article and not run afoul of the copyright police. Problem is, I don't post the articles, just the links to the articles. Since every outlet I use is in the public domain I think I am just a conduit to get other fans to the articles. I also think that leaving something out of an article would be more offensive/illegal to the originator of the article.

I love coming here to share thoughts about the GIANTS and will continue to do that. I realize that a lot of posters do the same thing with one article here and one there. I don't know if this complaint is directed at everyone or just me. Surely, I don't have any enemys here [:'(]

I don't believe this has anything to do with copyright infringement but I do respect the MODS for needing to be careful lest this escalate into something larger than life. I would suggest they modify the TOS as I am pretty sure we are directed to post a link with "news".

Until I can get some clarification from a reliable source, we'll just continue to share our thoughts without the benefit of the "link".

<font color="#0000ff"><font size="6">H<font color="#ff0000">E</font>R<font color="#ff0000">E</font> W<font color="#ff0000">E</font> G<font color="#ff0000">O</font>, <font color="#ff0000">G</font>I<font color="#ff0000">A</font>N<font color="#ff0000">T</font>S<font color="#ff0000">,</font> H<font color="#ff0000">E</font>R<font color="#ff0000">E</font> W<font color="#ff0000">E</font> G<font color="#ff0000">O</font>!<font color="#ff0000">!</font></font></font>

Roosevelt
10-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Sorry to hear that RF. Rumour has it it's JG21 that ratted on you.

[;)]

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 08:17 PM

[;)]

If there were anyone I'd bet on being torqued about links, it would not be JG lol

OX1
10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
This site http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/giants/ (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/giants/) does something like that. Only shows part of the story and then provides original link. They link to 100's of sources (lots of local newspapers) all over the country (in giants case, depends on who they played or are going to play). Says this @ the bottom.

<span class="b">ProSportsDaily.com is not affiliated with the NBA, NFL, MLB, or any
of the newspapers linked to.

Will be interesting to see the replies you get. Also wonder how different what you do is over what every poster on here does starting a reported story. Heck you get yelled @ if you don't supply the link.
</span>

scoopscj
10-28-2010, 08:25 PM
People suck. Please continue to post links. That is not illegal.

I appreciate it and so do many others. Don't give in to morons. Please don't let the morons win.

Scoops

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 08:26 PM
This site http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/giants/ (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/giants/) does something like that. Only shows part of the story and then provides original link. They link to 100's of sources (lots of local newspapers) all over the country (in giants case, depends on who they played or are going to play). Says this @ the bottom.

<span class="b">ProSportsDaily.com is not affiliated with the NBA, NFL, MLB, or any
of the newspapers linked to.

Will be interesting to see the replies you get. Also wonder how different what you do is over what every poster on here does starting a reported story. Heck you get yelled @ if you don't supply the link.
</span>

I don't think it's any different than if I simply tell you what the link is in a conversation.

Gianthunter
10-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Well absent an announcement from above. Seems to be either being checked up on. Or like the forum Code of Conduct. That tells you oops when you click it.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 08:27 PM
People suck. Please continue to post links. That is not illegal.

I appreciate it and so do many others. Don't give in to morons. Please don't let the morons win.

Scoops

I will follow through as I said but I also don't want to put the MODS in a position to have to ban me for ignoring their warning.

NYG4lifeNYK
10-28-2010, 08:31 PM
How the hell is posting links a copywrite infringement?

What a bunch of horse ****..

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 08:33 PM

It is just strange but until I get get something from at least one source or an attorney I'll do as asked.

Joe Morrison
10-28-2010, 08:37 PM
...to the MODS for violating "copyright laws" by creating the NEWS ARTICLES threads. Not being a copyright attorney, as I am sure the individual reporting me must be, I've written to two of the public domain outlets I used to copy and paste the "links". I've asked them if what I do is copyright infringement and will share their answers (assuming I get answers) with one and all. Should I get answers I will then communicate with all of the outlets to seek permission to provide links top their sites to others.

It was suggested that I could simply not post the whole article and not run afoul of the copyright police. Problem is, I don't post the articles, just the links to the articles. Since every outlet I use is in the public domain I think I am just a conduit to get other fans to the articles. I also think that leaving something out of an article would be more offensive/illegal to the originator of the article.

I love coming here to share thoughts about the GIANTS and will continue to do that. I realize that a lot of posters do the same thing with one article here and one there. I don't know if this complaint is directed at everyone or just me. Surely, I don't have any enemys here [:'(]

I don't believe this has anything to do with copyright infringement but I do respect the MODS for needing to be careful lest this escalate into something larger than life. I would suggest they modify the TOS as I am pretty sure we are directed to post a link with "news".

Until I can get some clarification from a reliable source, we'll just continue to share our thoughts without the benefit of the "link".

<FONT color=#0000ff><FONT size=6>H<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT>R<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT> W<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT> G<FONT color=#ff0000>O</FONT>, <FONT color=#ff0000>G</FONT>I<FONT color=#ff0000>A</FONT>N<FONT color=#ff0000>T</FONT>S<FONT color=#ff0000>,</FONT> H<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT>R<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT> W<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT> G<FONT color=#ff0000>O</FONT>!<FONT color=#ff0000>!</FONT></FONT></FONT>

</P>

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, are the mods like 12 year old kids, once it's out in print you can post whatevery you like, it's public information, what a lame crew running this board.</P>

gumby742
10-28-2010, 08:48 PM
:(

Whoever complained, you suck.

JMGGIANTS
10-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Exactly Joe Morrison. It is one thing to copy and paste a complete article without using referencesbut whenpasting a link likein this caseI don't think there is a copyright issue because the distinct inference is that the one posting is nottheauthor. As mentioned by others these articles/linksare on the public domain. As long as you don't pretend it is your writing again there should be no problem. I await Roanoke's follow up e-mail with the anwer. </P>

</P>

Diamondring
10-28-2010, 08:55 PM
You got to be careful because if you put any type of topic that belongs to someone elses on another sight, then you should be accountable since it is suppose to be on the other sight and not this one. I also think that they will have to report you so that they won't be in trouble. Yet you can post a link and we can go on the websight that it is suppose to be on and look at the topic.</P>

Gianthunter
10-28-2010, 08:58 PM
...to the MODS for violating "copyright laws" by creating the NEWS ARTICLES threads.* Not being a copyright attorney, as I am sure the individual reporting me must be, I've written to two of the public domain outlets I used to copy and paste the "links".* I've asked them if what I do is copyright infringement and will share their answers (assuming I get answers) with one and all.* Should I get answers I will then communicate with all of the outlets to seek permission to provide links top their sites to others.

It was suggested that I could simply not post the whole article and not run afoul of the copyright police.* Problem is, I don't post the articles, just the links to the articles.* Since every outlet I use is in the public domain I think I am just a conduit to get other fans to the articles.* I also think that leaving something out of an article would be more offensive/illegal to the originator of the article.

I love coming here to share thoughts about the GIANTS and will continue to do that.* I* realize that a lot of posters do the same thing with one article here and one there.* I don't know if this complaint is directed at everyone or just me.* Surely, I don't have any enemys here [:'(]

I don't believe this has anything to do with copyright infringement but I do respect the MODS for needing to be careful lest this escalate into something larger than life.* I would suggest they modify the TOS as I am pretty sure we are directed to post a link with "news".

<font color="#0000ff"><font size="6">H<font color="#ff0000">E</font>R<font color="#ff0000">E</font> W<font color="#ff0000">E</font> G<font color="#ff0000">O</font>, <font color="#ff0000">G</font>I<font color="#ff0000">A</font>N<font color="#ff0000">T</font>S<font color="#ff0000">,</font> H<font color="#ff0000">E</font>R<font color="#ff0000">E</font> W<font color="#ff0000">E</font> G<font color="#ff0000">O</font>!<font color="#ff0000">!</font></font></font>

SOOOOO did you get a cease and desist order from the mount?

NWKEffectElement
10-28-2010, 08:59 PM
What a *****. Thank you RF, we appreciate what you do for us.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 09:03 PM

SOOOOO did you get a cease and desist order from the mount?

It was suggested that I alter the articles but since I'm not posting the articles that's not possible. I am hoping this gets resolved sooner rather than later. Every link I have posted is in the public domain.

giantyankee1976
10-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Roanoke, that sux, I'm sorry that happened to you.

You're a real decent guy and this seems unfair and out of whack.

protect yourself firstly and know most of us here respect the hell out of you.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Roanoke, that sux, I'm sorry that happened to you.

You're a real decent guy and this seems unfair and out of whack.

protect yourself firstly and know most of us here respect the hell out of you.

[B]

Jint Fan 73
10-28-2010, 09:20 PM
so idiotic....all you are doing is driving clicks to their website

WebsterTAINT
10-28-2010, 09:21 PM
...to the MODS for violating "copyright laws" by creating the NEWS ARTICLES threads.* Not being a copyright attorney, as I am sure the individual reporting me must be, I've written to two of the public domain outlets I used to copy and paste the "links".* I've asked them if what I do is copyright infringement and will share their answers (assuming I get answers) with one and all.* Should I get answers I will then communicate with all of the outlets to seek permission to provide links top their sites to others.

It was suggested that I could simply not post the whole article and not run afoul of the copyright police.* Problem is, I don't post the articles, just the links to the articles.* Since every outlet I use is in the public domain I think I am just a conduit to get other fans to the articles.* I also think that leaving something out of an article would be more offensive/illegal to the originator of the article.

I love coming here to share thoughts about the GIANTS and will continue to do that.* I* realize that a lot of posters do the same thing with one article here and one there.* I don't know if this complaint is directed at everyone or just me.* Surely, I don't have any enemys here [:'(]

I don't believe this has anything to do with copyright infringement but I do respect the MODS for needing to be careful lest this escalate into something larger than life.* I would suggest they modify the TOS as I am pretty sure we are directed to post a link with "news".

You should be reported and banned for posting off topic threads (this one).

Roosevelt
10-28-2010, 09:28 PM

You're a cute little punk aren't cha?

thegreatone
10-28-2010, 09:28 PM
your not breaking ANY copyright laws. In fact your helping these sites in a way. By providing the ling we are then directed to THEIR websites. If anything they should be thanking you for the extra traffic. as for the MB rules not sure but i think your safe.

WebsterTAINT
10-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Rules are rules.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Would you like me to put you in touch with a MOD?

jomo
10-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey RF, this is the untimate in silliness. What you bring to these board is a quick compilation of what others are saying about our beloved Giants. You are enhancing, not trading off their brands. Whoever complained is pea brained idiot. I understand that you need to stay beneath the radar with the mods and wouldn't advise otherwise. However, whoever lodged a complaint is an idiot and a faux attorney. Hopefully the mods will act as facilitator in understanding the team/league/mb position on this matter rather than just acting as shutdown agents. Peace, and thanks for what you bring to all of us here.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 09:31 PM

Rules are rules.

Indeed they are and I see you've learned them all rather quickly

derekunion28
10-28-2010, 09:35 PM
this is freaking re****uless , its gota be ok by the sites it sends people to there site, who the hell would complain .... what tarts................. you did such a good job rf

mfraykor
10-28-2010, 09:35 PM
That's pretty stupid... but like you said, gotta respect the MODS. I was wondering why JG was not posting them as she usually did.... I just thought she got busy and you took over. But, I wonder what the deal is? Anyway....look forward to your OTHER insights and game chats....

GO GIANTS&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

JimC
10-28-2010, 09:38 PM
I would have to believe pasting a link would be exactly the same as giving a person direction to Barnes and Nobel and telling him what shelf the book is on.

Diamondring
10-28-2010, 09:39 PM
your not breaking ANY copyright laws. In fact your helping these sites in a way. By providing the ling we are then directed to THEIR websites. If anything they should be thanking you for the extra traffic. as for the MB rules not sure but i think your safe.
Not if he puts the topic on here for all to read. They wouldn't have to go to the sight and read it then.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 09:39 PM
That's pretty stupid... but like you said, gotta respect the MODS. I was wondering why JG was not posting them as she usually did.... I just thought she got busy and you took over. But, I wonder what the deal is? Anyway....look forward to your OTHER insights and game chats....

GO GIANTS&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

JG is too busy, that's why she stopped.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I would have to believe pasting a link would be exactly the same as giving a person direction to Barnes and Nobel and telling him what shelf the book is on.

You would think.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Not if he puts the topic on here for all to read. They wouldn't have to go to the sight and read it then.

Every link I post takes whoever to the original sight. I don't mess with anything that's written. I provide directions, period.

jomo
10-28-2010, 09:45 PM

<FONT color=#0000ff><FONT size=6>H<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT>R<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT> W<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT> G<FONT color=#ff0000>O</FONT>, <FONT color=#ff0000>G</FONT>I<FONT color=#ff0000>A</FONT>N<FONT color=#ff0000>T</FONT>S<FONT color=#ff0000>,</FONT> H<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT>R<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT> W<FONT color=#ff0000>E</FONT> G<FONT color=#ff0000>O</FONT>!<FONT color=#ff0000>!</FONT></FONT></FONT>

Rules are rules.Are you serious? You're here for 3 days and trying to criticize a guy who brings us articles from everywhere on our beloved Giants? He simplifies our search for information on our team and in the process enhances the brand or the media outlets who cover the Giants. RF is a jewel on these boards and shouldn't have to stoop to respond to someone like you.Don't preach at us until you establish some cred on these boards silly boy/girl.

nycowns
10-28-2010, 09:45 PM
This is sooooooo lame.

jomo
10-28-2010, 09:49 PM
This is sooooooo lame.Do you have any idea what's going on here or are you just taking a break from studying remedial english?

Roosevelt

Rules are rules.

I'm sure you wouldn't mind referencing the rules you speak of yes?

scoopscj
This is a great article. Only click it if you want to report me.

ARTICLE LINK (http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/idiot.jpg)

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 09:51 PM

I'm dying of curiosity LMAO

jomo
10-28-2010, 09:51 PM

lol great "article" scoop!

scoopscj
10-28-2010, 09:54 PM

RonoakeFan... DO NOT PUSH THE SHINY RED BUTTON!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:OXhOoMoEKFSUiM:http://i43.tinypic.com/5kg4k1.jpg&amp;t=1

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 09:56 PM

RonoakeFan... DO NOT PUSH THE SHINY RED BUTTON!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:OXhOoMoEKFSUiM:http://i43.tinypic.com/5kg4k1.jpg&amp;t=1

You are too funny

WebsterTAINT
10-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Rules are rules.

Yup My 'Manning' account from 2004 was banned for life due to an off topic thread. Real sweet.

jomo
10-28-2010, 09:59 PM
In the immortal words of Kris Kristofferson, "don't let the *******s get you down." Go Giant! Go DDDDDDDDefense!

WebsterTAINT
10-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Rules are rules.Are you serious? You're here for 3 days and trying to criticize a guy who brings us articles from everywhere on our beloved Giants? He simplifies our search for information on our team and in the process enhances the brand or the media outlets who cover the Giants. RF is a jewel on these boards and shouldn't have to stoop to respond to someone like you.Don't preach at us until you establish some cred on these boards silly boy/girl.

Ok, what topic are you debating? This thread has nothing to do with Giants football.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 10:03 PM

Ok, what topic are you debating? This thread has nothing to do with Giants football.

Keep writing, we'll figure out who you are before long.

scoopscj
10-28-2010, 10:03 PM

Rules are rules.

Yup My 'Manning' account from 2004 was banned for life due to an off topic thread. Real sweet.

Here's hoping they ban you again. [:D]

jomo
10-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Rules are rules.Are you serious? You're here for 3 days and trying to criticize a guy who brings us articles from everywhere on our beloved Giants? He simplifies our search for information on our team and in the process enhances the brand or the media outlets who cover the Giants. RF is a jewel on these boards and shouldn't have to stoop to respond to someone like you.Don't preach at us until you establish some cred on these boards silly boy/girl. Ok, what topic are you debating? This thread has nothing to do with Giants football.It has everything to do with Giants football mr. rules guy. Rf has been doing a great compilation of links to Giants football articles which keep people like me connected to our team. Understanding that some pea brain complained about that great compilation and effectively shut it down means thatfans like me have to work twice as hard to stay connected to our beloved Blue. Is that too difficult for you to understand?

Hatetank
10-28-2010, 10:06 PM

Who the **** is this mall cop who's forum name is a reference to the flesh between Websters this and that? Seriously did you think that out?

RoanokeFan
10-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Who the **** is this mall cop who's forum name is a reference to the flesh between Websters this and that? Seriously did you think that out?

LOL

WebsterTAINT
10-28-2010, 10:10 PM

TAINT comes from Bill Simmons. Touchdown After INT. Try reading some good sports writing.

WebsterTAINT
10-28-2010, 10:11 PM

Rules are rules.Are you serious? You're here for 3 days and trying to criticize a guy who brings us articles from everywhere on our beloved Giants? He simplifies our search for information on our team and in the process enhances the brand or the media outlets who cover the Giants. RF is a jewel on these boards and shouldn't have to stoop to respond to someone like you.Don't preach at us until you establish some cred on these boards silly boy/girl. Ok, what topic are you debating? This thread has nothing to do with Giants football.It has everything to do with Giants football mr. rules guy. Rf has been doing a great compilation of links to Giants football articles which keep people like me connected to our team. Understanding that some pea brain complained about that great compilation and effectively shut it down means that*fans like me have to work twice as hard to stay connected to our beloved Blue. Is that too difficult for you to understand?

This thread has ZERO to do with Giants football. If you have a complaint about being reported, contact a mod. Don't make a thread complaining about how you were reported.

Hatetank
10-28-2010, 10:12 PM

TAINT comes from Bill Simmons. Touchdown After INT. Try reading some good sports writing.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint

scoopscj
10-28-2010, 10:12 PM
RonoakeFan's new News threads will be the following.

Giants do a good job, (Um, go to google and search good job)
Manning defies the odds and wins in last second play (google manning wins)
Kiwi put in IR (google "giant injuries")
Giants next opponent will be tough. (Google schedule)
Giants fans erupt with illogical board and forum rules (see current thread)

That about right?

Scoops

jomo
10-28-2010, 10:14 PM
RonoakeFan's new News threads will be the following.

Giants do a good job, (Um, go to google and search good job)
Manning defies the odds and wins in last second play (google manning wins)
Kiwi put in IR (google "giant injuries")
Giants next opponent will be tough. (Google schedule)
Giants fans erupt with illogical board and forum rules (see current thread)

That about right?

Scoops

Illustrates perfectlythelunacy and misguided natureof the complaint. Great job scoops.

GiantsJersey
10-28-2010, 10:16 PM
ok, just thinking of every article that has been posted by a account holder on the world wide web since its been introduced, is probably larger then any number i can even apprehend, and for someone to report someone cause of it, is either an ahole, has nothing better to do with their lives, then to report people, and especially hide behind some computer and to do so, as well, as this person would never speak up about something more serious in real life, cause they would be afraid of the face to face confrontation that would ensue.

i mean its the internet, can u imagine how many articles get linked on or to, by people on other forums. I know of a car forum that has a bot, that links every single car story or any type of news, about vehicles, from other sites, and brings it together in a section, and creates threads. And its not a big deal. It's sad that things are handled this way, and some people actually do this.

And why is it now a big deal, when you do this, but not when jg, or whatever her name is, was doing it. I mean whats the difference, what has changed. nothing. freaking sad.

scoopscj
10-28-2010, 10:19 PM
ok, just thinking of every article that has been posted by a account holder on the world wide web since its been introduced, is probably larger then any number i can even apprehend, and for someone to report someone cause of it, is either an ahole, has nothing better to do with their lives, then to report people, and especially hide behind some computer and to do so, as well, as this person would never speak up about something more serious in real life, cause they would be afraid of the face to face confrontation that would ensue.

i mean its the internet, can u imagine how many articles get linked on or to, by people on other forums. I know of a car forum that has a bot, that links every single car story or any type of news, about vehicles, from other sites, and brings it together in a section, and creates threads. And its not a big deal. It's sad that things are handled this way, and some people actually do this.

And why is it now a big deal, when you do this, but not when jg, or whatever her name is, was doing it. I mean whats the difference, what has changed. nothing. freaking sad.

There seems to be a lot of people like WebsterTainT around. See pic below. This pic was taken a few years ago.

http://4chanmemeandmotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/internet_tough_guy_-_because_its_easy_to_be_a_6_foot_4_olympic_powerli fter_and_streetfighting_god_from_behind_the_confin es_of_a_keyboard.jpg?w=720&amp;h=576

GIANTfaninFL
10-28-2010, 10:26 PM

There seems to be a lot of people like WebsterTainT around.* See pic below.** This pic was taken a few years ago.*

http://4chanmemeandmotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/internet_tough_guy_-_because_its_easy_to_be_a_6_foot_4_olympic_powerli fter_and_streetfighting_god_from_behind_the_confin es_of_a_keyboard.jpg?w=720&h=576

LOL!

But seriously, i'm sorry to hear about that RF.

Those were always good links.

Sorry to hear that the mods or whomever is trying to shut ya down

Die-Hard
10-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Roanoke,

There appears to have been a misunderstanding on this. Posting links to articles is perfectly legal from what I understand. There is no law against doing so, and it is not considered copyright infringement. The links take the poster directly to the original source. Copyright infringement would come into play if someone were to copy and paste an entire article on the forums, which is why we have a rule that only a paragraph or a brief summary is permitted, and a link to the original story is required as well.

Apologies for the confusion. We all appreciate what you contribute to the boards, and we hope you continue to create the daily threads. They are a great and convenient source of info for all of us!

-Mods

poppa smurph
10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
This is just stupid... it would seem to me that once an article is posted on the web, any linking to it would be welcome, unless from pay-sites.</P>

Unless your getting kickbacks RO, this is absurd.</P>

PS- WebsterTaint.... I think your an idiot</P>

scoopscj
10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Roanoke,

There appears to have been a misunderstanding on this. Posting links to articles is perfectly legal from what I understand. There is no law against doing so, and it is not considered copyright infringement. The links take the poster directly to the original source. Copyright infringement would come into play if someone were to copy and paste an entire article on the forums, which is why we have a rule that only a paragraph or a brief summary is permitted, and a link to the original story is required as well.

Apologies for the confusion. We all appreciate what you contribute to the boards, and we hope you continue to create the daily threads. They are a great and convenient source of info for all of us!

-Mods

http://macroblog.typepad.com/macroblog/images/win_button.jpg

jomo
10-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Roanoke,

-Mods
Thanks modsfor the thoughtful and swift response. Sanity prevails! Have at it RF.

fourth&forever
10-28-2010, 10:38 PM
<font face="Tahoma" size="4">Thank goodness... Post on!</font>

tonyt830
10-28-2010, 10:41 PM

Roanoke, JG once told me where she gets her links/stories from. All people have to do is go to </P>

http://www.nflgateway.com/giants.php</P>

or http://www.theredzone.org/ I dont know copyright laws, but Giants fans can get news from different newspapers that are posted on those 2 sites.</P>

scoopscj
10-28-2010, 10:42 PM
For the record, I'm shocked people get reported for linking on this board. Thank goodness they didn't find out about that one time about me, the goat, the midget, and the egg beater. It was one crazy night. Imagine the trouble I'd be in PHEW.

Kidding aside. Thanks RonoakeFan for all you do.

Scoops

GIANTfaninFL
10-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Nice!

Intelligence prevails!

lttaylor56
10-28-2010, 10:53 PM

RF- I want to thank you for all that you do on this forum. Your positive influences and countless hours of work providing the news and other vital NYG information. Surely this board recognizes how fortunate they are to have someone like you involved in this process. Your professionalism speaks volumes as to the caliber of person and New York Giant's fan that you are.

The way that I'm interpreting the rules to protect this site from copyright infringement , you are acting appropriately with the method of posting the "link" to a particular article.

After some research, here is the way that I understand what the mods are looking for in terms of posting a news article for discussion on this forum:

"When posting an article, do not copy and paste all of the text. Just leave the link and maybe copy and paste a little of the article.

By reposting the entire article it effects some type of fair sharing copyright laws or something like that.

Theres no real SET of rules to it. The point of it is just to get people to click on the website and see the article rather than just read it on here because of the advertisers paying for spots on the true URL of the page. NYG has actually had websites call the offices about reposting whole articles. You would be surprised how serious some of these sites take this stuff. "

I have seen many articles posted in their entirety on this forum. I am guilty of the same. Personally, I read the entire "help" file and Mod sections on the forum before I started posting when I first joined. Im not sure if I misssed the part regarding copyright infringement or if it is not included in that section. To eliminate confusion on the proper posting of news articles I think an addendum needs to be added for reference by forum members.

I do not see how RF is in violation of any such copyright infringements at this time.

lttaylor56
10-28-2010, 11:00 PM
However......

This is just my opinion, but I find that better forum discussion evolves from a completely posted article as oppossed to a link to the article. I suspect(and I may be wrong) this is because alot of users don't click the link to view the article.

If this is the rule, then it's the rule, but I feel it's unfortunate for us that such a copyright issue exists.

It brings to light the following questions:

Is there a clearly defined amount of an article that can be posted?

Is it a matter of just leaving out one paragraph to be legally correct?

Are images posted by users subject to the same copyright restrictions?

FBomb
10-28-2010, 11:10 PM

</P>

sinner</P>

Furiator
10-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I have a solution to this problem,

Lets have every greedy lawyer who comes up with these stupid rules form a football team and let's play them during the bye week.

After a few hits from Boley you can post all you want.

The problem here is that this is a Giants board, and they are liable for what we put on here, so a media company who makes ads off their website is losing money by having their articles posted here, where they lose revenue. It makes sense, but it's so unfair that we have to police ourselves for this stuff. You clearly stated this article came from somewhere else and you are not trying to profit from it.

What's next? Is the NY Post going to arrest me for buying a paper, reading it, and then giving it to someone else to read after I'm done with it? Because I am distributing copyrighted materials?

BigBlue wins
10-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Man this is pathetic. Whoever reported you has no soul. Post away bud, your links are good reads.

Chaosist
10-28-2010, 11:26 PM
I think what you had originally been doing, posting the entire article (even with the link) was against copyright law, however what you have been doing as of late (only providing links)is perfectly legal as it drives thru traffic to the original sites from whence the articles hailed.</P>

Edit: Just saw Die-Hard's post above. Good stuff. RF is off the hook.</P>

Morehead State
10-28-2010, 11:37 PM
<FONT size=6>The rat must have been IZBO!!!!</FONT>

FBomb
10-28-2010, 11:39 PM
<FONT size=6>The rat must have been IZBO!!!!</FONT></P>

That little maddenite???!!!! </P>

Chaosist
10-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Rules are rules.

Here's hoping they ban you again. [:D]
</P>

Guess what? They already have. </P>

lmao</P>

Blue Sun
10-28-2010, 11:46 PM

It is just strange but until I get get something from at least one source or an attorney I'll do as asked.

RF, I haven't read through the entire thread yet, so this may have been answered already.

There's no prob posting "links". There is a problem in copying and pasting complete articles. I've seen a few of in here this week. You had a few, didn't you?

Copying/pasting a complete article is copyright infringement. We could chat on "Fair Use" laws forever...so why not just Google it and you'll see the basics on the topic?

You mentioned "public domain" sites where you get your articles? I know I've seen some complete, copied articles from Daily News and Star Ledger, yes? These are not sites providing free "public domain" content.

A link is great since it helps click-throughs for these COMMERCIAL MEDIA OUTLETS. It also helps to show the popularity of the author and helps him keep his job and maybe get a raise.

On the other hand, a COMPLETE COPY/PASTE of an article deprives both the publication and the author revenues and acclaim. It also exposes your beloved Giants organization to suit.

Hope this helps.

PS "Fair Use" laws basically state that you can quote maybe a sentence or two and then tell your readership to click on the link to read the entire article.

BigBlue1971
10-28-2010, 11:52 PM

</P>

</P>

didnt JG21 do the same thing?</P>

she did it for years but nothing seemed afoul!</P>

Ole44
10-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Think the mods need to check with an intellectual property lawyer. Can't see the issue if you just provide hotlinks.

giantyankee1976
10-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Roanoke,

-Mods

there.

settled.

[B] for all

Blue Sun
10-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Roanoke,

-Mods

there.

settled.

[B] for all

No problem with RF's <u>links</u>. Just his <u>full copy/paste</u> of articles! Lol.

lttaylor56
10-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Please spare Rf the heat on this one. He does an enormous amount of work and service on this board.

I think I was the largest offender of posting complete articles.

Use me as the example.

**Copy below of my post from the I've been reported thread**

RF- I want to thank you for all that you do on this forum. Your positive influences and countless hours of work providing the news and other vital NYG information. Surely this board recognizes how fortunate they are to have someone like you involved in this process. Your professionalism speaks volumes as to the caliber of person and New York Giant's fan that you are.

The way that I'm interpreting the rules to protect this site from copyright infringement , you are acting appropriately with the method of posting the "link" to a particular article.

After some research, here is the way that I understand what the mods are looking for in terms of posting a news article for discussion on this forum:

"When posting an article, do not copy and paste all of the text. Just leave the link and maybe copy and paste a little of the article.

By reposting the entire article it effects some type of fair sharing copyright laws or something like that.

Theres no real SET of rules to it. The point of it is just to get people to click on the website and see the article rather than just read it on here because of the advertisers paying for spots on the true URL of the page. NYG has actually had websites call the offices about reposting whole articles. You would be surprised how serious some of these sites take this stuff. "

I have seen many articles posted in their entirety on this forum. I am guilty of the same. Personally, I read the entire "help" file and Mod sections on the forum before I started posting when I first joined. Im not sure if I misssed the part regarding copyright infringement or if it is not included in that section. To eliminate confusion on the proper posting of news articles I think an addendum needs to be added for reference by forum members.

I do not see how RF is in violation of any such copyright infringements at this time.

myles2424
10-29-2010, 01:04 AM

[;)]
</P>

Lets go pay that SOB a visit...</P>

zimonami
10-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Well, posting the 'links'is good.</P>

Thank you, RF, for your contuing news link feeds.</P>

blakjak
10-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Just one more reason in a long list of why this board has gone to total poo.

Ridiculous.

Die-Hard
10-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Just one more reason in a long list of why this board has gone to total poo.

Ridiculous.

Seems to me that you like wading around in it. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here, right?

Time to close this one up. Problem solved