PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' COUGHLIN REFUSES TO MEET WITH TIKI BARBER

RoanokeFan
01-15-2012, 09:46 PM
GIANTS' COUGHLIN REFUSES TO MEET WITH TIKI BARBER (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_coughlin_refused_meeting_16WZ4FEKkGrJd06gjr JstJ)

"Tiki Barber tried to set up a meeting with Tom Coughlin in an attempt to
repair their relationship, but the Giants coach opted not to meet with his
former player.

Barber, the Giants’ all-time leading rusher, had been critical of Coughlin’s
coaching style since he retired after the 2006 season. </p>

"We tried (to set up a meeting). He said no, through his agent, (Giants vice
president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said on ESPN Radio. (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7464475/tiki-barber-wants-meeting-says-new-york-giants-coach-tom-coughlin-accept)</p>

"But one of these days I'm sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals
all wounds. And I think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their
dislike of me at times, know that I was one of the guys that put (it) on the
line every time I put on my uniform."
</p>Barber attempted to make a comeback in the NFL this year, but only received a
workout from the Dolphins and they opted not to offer him a contract. The
36-year old said he has now given up on a return.

“No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me
to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged
in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally,
and that's all that matters in life."
</p>

RoanokeFan
01-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Tiki didn't want to make a comeback? Do you think he really believes that?

NYGRealityCheck
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
That's right! Coughlin has no time for distractions right now on the verge of a Superbowl run. They're already preparing for the 49ers. WOOT!

I have no comment for Tiki. I still respect what he did on the field. The off-field stuff was his problem and still is.

UmenYiourAnIdiot
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
He outsmarted himself after leaving. A litany of bad decisions has left him grasping at straws. Que seda seda.

rick5292
01-15-2012, 09:56 PM
I've got to say that I am still a huge fan of Tiki Barber. The dude used to have more than 50% of the total yards on a consistent basis. Barber was the best Giant back that I have ever seen. I am only 29, but he has outplayed all the Giants that I have seen when I was really young: Ottis Anderson, Rodney Hampton, etc. Tiki has made mistakes, but who hasn't? Love that guy!

jomo
01-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Tiki is a pathetic waste of humanity.</P>

The Giants are on a playoff roll and he wants to meet with TC now?? What a self absorbed idiot. Does he think that that is the most important thing in TC's world?</P>

Wait about 10 years and get yourlife together and maybe a class act like TC will give you an audience.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
01-15-2012, 10:53 PM
GIANTS' COUGHLIN REFUSES TO MEET WITH TIKI BARBER (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_coughlin_refused_meeting_16WZ4FEKkGrJd06gjr JstJ)

former player.

president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said on ESPN Radio. (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7464475/tiki-barber-wants-meeting-says-new-york-giants-coach-tom-coughlin-accept)</p>

</p>Barber attempted to make a comeback in the NFL this year, but only received a

to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged
</p>

i've always said Tiki has the right to say whatever he wants.

he also has to live with what he said.

it must suck to not really have the kind of access to your former team that almost everyone has in broadcasting.

i remember alot of media types supporting tiki's outspoken comments. They certainly don't have much to say now that he's barely hanging onto a broadcasting career.

KidA
01-15-2012, 11:13 PM

He might. That still doesn't mean it's true though.

GMen869007
01-15-2012, 11:19 PM
I've been harsh on Tiki, I mean, first he announces retirement mid season and then leaves with plenty of productive years ahead of him, but that's his own prerogative, and then he mocks Eli's leadership abilities and Coughlin's coaching. He was wrong for doing that.

However, I've gotten over it. He is an all time Giants great, and I think after a period of time he should be cheered again. He was too good for this organization while he was in uniform to continue to be booed over a couple of comments that came after retirement. It's kind of embarrassing in a way.

fourth&forever
01-15-2012, 11:22 PM
haha. Tiki-tacky

Harooni
01-16-2012, 04:31 AM
I don't think he said he didn't want to comeback he is simply saying he will stop trying now and some good came out of him trying. Tiki said some things but overall it was hyped up by fans and the media.

Also we see to produce what tiki did as a rb is not so easy. He was a giant all time great.

MikeyMike01
01-16-2012, 04:35 AM
Tiki got what he deserved... sitting idly by as the Giants won the Super Bowl without him.

RagTime Blue
01-16-2012, 04:53 AM
<font size="6">Tiki is a pathetic waste of humanity.</font></p>

The Giants are on a playoff roll and he wants to meet with TC now?? What a self absorbed idiot. Does he think that that is the most important thing in TC's world?</p>

Wait about 10 years and get yourlife together and maybe a class act like TC will give you an audience.</p>

A bit harsh, but understand the sentiment.

I'm actually a little pissed off that he'd even ASK to meet with Coughlin considering all that TC has on his plate right now. One wonders if he's TRYING to become a distraction again.

Unbelievable. . .yes, wait 5 years and then ask again when the season is OVER. . .Putz.

titwio
01-16-2012, 05:05 AM
Tiki didn't want to make a comeback?* Do you think he really believes that?

Not for a second....That's bs he spewed was him just trying to save face.

I actually got a good chuckle when I read it.

foosball
01-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Tiki wrote a book, and said that Tom Coughlin killed his love of the game. From what I know about Tom Coughlin that was probably the most insulting and hurtful thing a player ever said about him. On top of that, they have a season to play. Tiki can call him in the off season and I am sure he'll sit down and talk with him, but it's not the off season. Get real Tiki.

G-Man67
01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
well 1st i love both TC and Tiki

but, let's face it, if somebody in your world tried to get you fired ... well, i'm not sure any of us would want to talk to that person

RoanokeFan
01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Tiki needs to simply fade away now.

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Tiki needs to simply fade away now.
</P>

+1</P>

he's doing very well with that already.</P>

this time 3 years from now we'll be asking what he's doing these days.......</P>

GameTime
01-16-2012, 10:42 AM

"Tiki Barber tried to set up a meeting with Tom Coughlin in an attempt to repair their relationship, but the Giants coach opted not to meet with his former player.

Barber, the Giants’ all-time leading rusher, had been critical of Coughlin’s coaching style since he retired after the 2006 season. </P>

"We tried (to set up a meeting). He said no, through his agent, (Giants vice president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said on ESPN Radio. (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7464475/tiki-barber-wants-meeting-says-new-york-giants-coach-tom-coughlin-accept)</P>

"But one of these days<FONT color=#000080 size=5> I'm</FONT> sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals all wounds. And <FONT color=#000080 size=5>I</FONT> think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their dislike of <FONT color=#000080 size=5>me</FONT> at times, know that <FONT color=#000080 size=5>I</FONT> was one of the guys that put (it) on the line every time <FONT color=#000080 size=5>I</FONT> put on <FONT color=#000080 size=5>my </FONT>uniform."
</P>Barber attempted to make a comeback in the NFL this year, but only received a workout from the Dolphins and they opted not to offer him a contract. The 36-year old said he has now given up on a return.

“No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally, <FONT color=#000080 size=5>and that's all that matters in life</FONT>."
</P>

</P>

all that matters to Tiki....is well.....Tiki</P>

I one sentence he refers to himself 6 times!!!!!!!! </P>

Thats says it all to me folks....</P>

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 10:45 AM

"Tiki Barber tried to set up a meeting with Tom Coughlin in an attempt to repair their relationship, but the Giants coach opted not to meet with his former player.

Barber, the Giants’ all-time leading rusher, had been critical of Coughlin’s coaching style since he retired after the 2006 season. </P>

"We tried (to set up a meeting). He said no, through his agent, (Giants vice president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said on ESPN Radio. (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7464475/tiki-barber-wants-meeting-says-new-york-giants-coach-tom-coughlin-accept)</P>

"But one of these days<FONT color=#000080 size=5> I'm</FONT> sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals all wounds. And <FONT color=#000080 size=5>I</FONT> think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their dislike of <FONT color=#000080 size=5>me</FONT> at times, know that <FONT color=#000080 size=5>I</FONT> was one of the guys that put (it) on the line every time <FONT color=#000080 size=5>I</FONT> put on <FONT color=#000080 size=5>my </FONT>uniform."
</P>Barber attempted to make a comeback in the NFL this year, but only received a workout from the Dolphins and they opted not to offer him a contract. The 36-year old said he has now given up on a return.

“No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally, <FONT color=#000080 size=5>and that's all that matters in life</FONT>."
</P>

</P>

</P>

what an awesome post.</P>

+1</P>

RedskinHater
01-16-2012, 10:47 AM
If it wasn't for TC Barber would've fumbled his way out of the NFL. The man was a walking fumbling machine before Coughlin taught him how to carry the damn ball !

yoeddy
01-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Barber, the Giants’ all-time leading rusher, had been critical of Coughlin’s coaching style since he retired after the 2006 season. </p>

"We tried (to set up a meeting). He said no, through his agent, (Giants vice president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said on ESPN Radio. (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7464475/tiki-barber-wants-meeting-says-new-york-giants-coach-tom-coughlin-accept)</p>

"But one of these days<font color="#000080" size="5"> I'm</font> sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals all wounds. And <font color="#000080" size="5">I</font> think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their dislike of <font color="#000080" size="5">me</font> at times, know that <font color="#000080" size="5">I</font> was one of the guys that put (it) on the line every time <font color="#000080" size="5">I</font> put on <font color="#000080" size="5">my </font>uniform."
</p>Barber attempted to make a comeback in the NFL this year, but only received a workout from the Dolphins and they opted not to offer him a contract. The 36-year old said he has now given up on a return.

“No. No. <font color="#FF0000">I'm</font> not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for <font color="#FF0000">me</font> to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now <font color="#FF0000">I'm</font> engaged in a few different things and <font color="#FF0000">I</font> feel really strong about where <font color="#FF0000">I</font> am personally, <font color="#000080" size="5">and that's all that matters in life</font>."
</p>

</p>

all that matters to Tiki....is well.....Tiki</p>

I one sentence he refers to himself 6 times!!!!!!!! </p>

Thats says it all to me folks....</p>

You missed a few...

Kruunch
01-16-2012, 10:49 AM
The shame about all of this is that Tiki was probably the most exciting Giant to watch after LT.

I feel sorry for him now ... he just doesn't get it.

GameTime
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM

</P>

</P>

</P>

what an awesome post.</P>

+1</P>

</P>

many people dont even realize how much he uses the 1st person. Checkany of his written or audio inteveiws. Its always about him.....always.He kind of masks it if you're not paying attention. </P>

Either way he is done and has paved his own rocky road that he has to travel. </P>

</P>

GameTime
01-16-2012, 10:51 AM

“No. No. <FONT color=#ff0000>I'm</FONT> not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for <FONT color=#ff0000>me</FONT> to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now <FONT color=#ff0000>I'm</FONT> engaged in a few different things and <FONT color=#ff0000>I</FONT> feel really strong about where <FONT color=#ff0000>I</FONT> am personally, <FONT color=#000080 size=5>and that's all that matters in life</FONT>."
</P>

</P>

You missed a few...
</P>

Just wanted to cover the comment Tiki said about his reconciliation with TC...</P>

but thanx....:)</P>

GameTime
01-16-2012, 10:52 AM
If it wasn't for TC Barber would've fumbled his way out of the NFL. The man was a walking fumbling machine before Coughlin taught him how to carry the damn ball !
</P>

bingo.....</P>

GMENAGAIN
01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
The fact that Tiki thinks that TC would want to spend any time at all hashing over old issues with him during the week leading up to the NFC Chapionship game is truly mind-boggling. This guy's ego seems to be making him more and more delusional . . .. . .

GameTime
01-16-2012, 11:07 AM
The fact that Tiki thinks that TC would want to spend any time at all hashing over old issues with him during the week leading up to the NFC Chapionship game is truly mind-boggling. This guy's ego seems to be making him more and more delusional . . .. . .</P>

his pride and ego are always come first with Tiki. He has ALWAYS been like that....</P>

its his downfall.....</P>

RoanokeFan
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Barber, the Giants’ all-time leading rusher, had been critical of Coughlin’s coaching style since he retired after the 2006 season. </p>

"We tried (to set up a meeting). He said no, through his agent, (Giants vice president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said on ESPN Radio. (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7464475/tiki-barber-wants-meeting-says-new-york-giants-coach-tom-coughlin-accept)</p>

"But one of these days<font color="#000080" size="5"> I'm</font> sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals all wounds. And <font color="#000080" size="5">I</font> think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their dislike of <font color="#000080" size="5">me</font> at times, know that <font color="#000080" size="5">I</font> was one of the guys that put (it) on the line every time <font color="#000080" size="5">I</font> put on <font color="#000080" size="5">my </font>uniform."
</p>Barber attempted to make a comeback in the NFL this year, but only received a workout from the Dolphins and they opted not to offer him a contract. The 36-year old said he has now given up on a return.

“No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally, <font color="#000080" size="5">and that's all that matters in life</font>."
</p>

</p>

all that matters to Tiki....is well.....Tiki</p>

I one sentence he refers to himself 6 times!!!!!!!! </p>

Thats says it all to me folks....</p>

Well done, Buckeroo [;)]

RoanokeFan
01-16-2012, 11:28 AM
The fact that Tiki thinks that TC would want to spend any time at all hashing over old issues with him during the week leading up to the NFC Chapionship game is truly mind-boggling. This guy's ego seems to be making him more and more delusional . . .. . .

[Y]

GameTime
01-16-2012, 11:47 AM

</P>

</P>

Well done, Buckeroo [;)]
</P>

I have become a certified Tiki basher. Sorry Tiki your pride is your problem.... how you handle it and feed it. </P>

Herm Edwards said somehting great the other day when talking about Tebow..</P>

he said: "Tim Tebow travels the road of humility and I can tell you from experirnce that that road doesn't have much traffic on it and its usually smooth sailing".....</P>

Tiki is just the opposite....thats why his road is filled with potholes, traffic, and drivers only looking out for themselves. </P>

giantsforce
01-16-2012, 11:53 AM

former player.

</p>As much as I liked Tiki when he played for us, I have to say that I am glad TC will not give him the time of the day. Not only he abandoned the team, he also had to take a lot of parting shots at his teammates and the organization. I am not the biggest TC fan, but I've got to admit, the guy has a lot of class and he is very low key. Just like Eli. Nothing fancy about them, but they get the job done.

G-Men Surg.
01-16-2012, 12:01 PM

former player.

</p>

Just pitiful !!!
You don't need to read between the lines because its all over that article. ME. I AM. I'M. FOR ME !
Yep Tiki . Its been all about you . Pathetic !

dsd28
01-16-2012, 12:17 PM
The Giants are on a playoff roll and he wants to meet with TC now?? What a self absorbed idiot. Does he think that that is the most important thing in TC's world?

GMENAGAIN
01-17-2012, 11:22 AM

"But one of these days I'm sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals all wounds. And I think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their dislike of me at times, know that I was one of the guys that put (it) on the line every time I put on my uniform."

“No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally, and that's all that matters in life."
</P>

As much as I liked Tiki when he played for us, I have to say that I am glad TC will not give him the time of the day. Not only he abandoned the team, he also had to take a lot of parting shots at his teammates and the organization. I am not the biggest TC fan, but I've got to admit, the guy has a lot of class and he is very low key. Just like Eli. Nothing fancy about them, but they get the job done.</P>

Knowing TC, he didn't refuse to meet with Tiki out of spite . . . . I'm sure he refused because he is extremely busy trying to get our team to the SB.</P>

If Tiki reached out to TC in a non-public way during the off-season, I am sure that TC would meet with him. That's not the way Tiki operates though. </P>

G-Man67
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Knowing TC, he didn't refuse to meet with Tiki out of spite . . . . I'm sure he refused because he is extremely busy trying to get our team to the SB.</P>

If Tiki reached out to TC in a non-public way during the off-season, I am sure that TC would meet with him. That's not the way Tiki operates though.* </P>

yeah TC is all about the team and winning and as much as I love Tiki, you do have to question the timing of it all ... he knows Tom well enough to know that there is no way he is going to take time out of his playoff schedule to create a distraction for the team ... i mean Tiki didn't exactly do right by Eli either, so a picture of TC and Tiki hugging on 60 minutes ... haha, yeah that might cause the normally calm and cool Eli to raise an eyebrow :)

G-Stan
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Why would Coughlin want to meet with Tiki when he has been talking sh** since he left? Whenever the Giants are doing well he wants to be friendly.

Move on, Tiki. The Giants sure have.

JJC7301
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
</P>

Ugh, Tiki needs to shut up already. I'll say this though -- Tiki only verbalized just a little more than what Strahan and most other Giants who were playing under TC were saying themselves. TONS of Giant players were complaining about him his first 3 years. Tiki is the only one getting heat.</P>

TC should let up on him already and so should Giant fans. The guy was a good RB for us for a while. Let it go. He paid his price.</P>

TrueBlue@NYC
01-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm officially done bashing Tiki and am ready to embrace him for the player that he was. Like others have said, he's paid his price having to watch his team and the QB/Coach win a SB a year after he retires and bashes them, making him look the fool. </P>

Stupid of him to try and meet with TC now, he should know better than that. I'm sure after the season's over TC would be willing to meet with him. It would be nice for them to mend their relationship and would be good for the organization to have it's all-time leading rusher back in it's good graces. </P>

JPP
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM

former player.

</p>

i've always said Tiki has the right to say whatever he wants.

he also has to live with what he said.

it must suck to not really have the kind of access to your former team that almost everyone has in broadcasting.

i remember alot of media types supporting tiki's outspoken comments. They certainly don't have much to say now that he's barely hanging onto a broadcasting career.

He tried to further his broadcasting career by selling our team down the road, all the media thought it was great when they were getting the scoop. Until they realized he was wrong and our team continues to win with out him and get along terrifically. Now he has neither allegiance left. I do try to keep perspective and respect his contributions as a player to the Giants but as a person he lost my respect in 2007.

nygsb42champs
01-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Way to go TC.

JMGGIANTS
01-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Tiki shows the signs of being a very unhappy person with profound regrets and remorse in his life. Can't say I don't feel sorry for him but I thought he was always going to regret retiring in his PRIME because if you love the game you play til you can no longer play. Again he was at his prime.

To me Tiki's EGO was the reason for his retirment because he actually thought that he was going to be the second coming of Walter Cronkite. Since that failed his EGO has taken a major hit and he is a lost soul.

Finally I don't blame TC. There is absolutely no reason to meet with Tiki. Tikie reminds of somebody in AA with unresolved issues working his step to make amends to people they harmed.

“No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally, and that's all that matters in life."

HE IS TRYING TO CONVINCE HIMSELF THIS IS TRUE....BUT I, I, I, I,

sharick88
01-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Barber got what he wanted when his name again is being talked about by the media, team, and our fans. HE IS AN ATTENTION *****!!!!!!!!!! He is already an afterthought to me.

JMGGIANTS
01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
I've got to say that I am still a huge fan of Tiki Barber. The dude used to have more than 50% of the total yards on a consistent basis. Barber was the best Giant back that I have ever seen. I am only 29, but he has outplayed all the Giants that I have seen when I was really young: Ottis Anderson, Rodney Hampton, etc. Tiki has made mistakes, but who hasn't? Love that guy!

Listen we all make mistakes but this not just someone who makes mistakes. This behavior personifies Tiki in the nutshell. me, me, me. He trashed the Giants, TC and in effect the fans because of his self centeredness.

JMGGIANTS
01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't think he said he didn't want to comeback he is simply saying he will stop trying now and some good came out of him trying. Tiki said some things but overall it was hyped up by fans and the media.

Also we see to produce what tiki did as a rb is not so easy. He was a giant all time great.
LOL, keep drinking the Tiki Kool Aid.

OrangeGiant
01-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Nobody ever questioned Tiki's heart and playing ability. That was never the issue and for him to make it seem like that was is garbage.</P>

The issue was Tiki and TC didn't see eye to eye and they didn't get along. Tiki could have chosen to take the high road and not be a distraction, but he didn't. He instead made it about himself, and I'm sure tried his best to get other players to buy into his contempt for TC.</P>

Now I'm sure TC isn't the easiest guy to play for, Strahan and Rolle and others have had their differences with him. But you know what, these guys in the end have come to realize that TC just wants to win and came to a mutual understanding and respect withand for him. Tiki broke the code, he took personal stuff outside the lockerroom, and criticized his QB and HCpublicly, more for shock value than anything.</P>

Now he wants to make ammends and pretend it never happened. Well it did happen and he has to live with his legacy as a former NYG now. He sh*t his bed and now he has to lie in it.</P>

As a former player, I'll always be a fan of Tiki Barber. As a person, not so much.</P>