PDA

View Full Version : This win changes the Elite QB Conversation (again).

JMFP2
01-16-2012, 12:13 AM
This is not meant to take anything away from Rodgers. He's an awesome QB, and has a ring, and will probably retire with more than one.</P>

But, going into this game, the common consensus was that Rodgers, Brees and Brady were the top 3 QBs in the NFL.</P>

Well, now 2 of them are out of the tourney.</P>

And once again, Eli goes up to Lambeau and outplays his counterpart.</P>

I'm not saying Eli is better than Rodgers.....but unless I'm wrong, he's the only opposing QB to win more than one playoff game in Lambeau now....and he's moving on.</P>

Who knows whatthe conversation will sound like when the season is over?</P>

Medisleman
01-16-2012, 12:15 AM
He is better than Rodgers as an all around QB. Rodgers had a great season, but he is not clutch.

ny06
01-16-2012, 12:16 AM
You will always have fans who argue that he's elite or not. </P>

But I think I can speak on behalf of every Giant fan, that we are very happy to have him as our quarterback. (He's a winner)</P>

NYGRealityCheck
01-16-2012, 12:18 AM
At least, we can put to bed all the phillip rivers/big ben comparison crap. Eli has ended up being worth the draft pick trade and has meant so much more to this team than anyone could have imagined.

BornLegend
01-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Rodgers is a great QB but as you know football is a team sport and his team let him down today. Rodgers was out there scrambling for his life like he was Michael Vick and at times he was taking his eyes off downfield and looking at the pass rush. Eli is great as well but one thing he has going for him right now is that the whole team has stepped up.

titwio
01-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Don't you guys know that whenever Eli starts to get credit from people as an elite QB his next game becomes a stinker...

I'm happy and content to just say Eli played a great game....And leave it at that.

Manning
01-16-2012, 12:21 AM
At least, we can put to bed all the phillip rivers/big ben comparison crap. Eli has ended up being worth the draft pick trade and has meant so much more to this team than anyone could have imagined.
I don't even think Eli had his best game today, but hes the best. People hated how it looked like he didn't care??? Have you seen some one fist pump harder than Eli? I love his reaction to TDS.

DragonSoul
01-16-2012, 12:22 AM
This is not meant to take anything away from Rodgers.* He's an awesome QB, and has a ring, and will probably retire with more than one.</P>

But, going into this game, the common consensus was that Rodgers, Brees and Brady were the top 3 QBs in the NFL.</P>

I'm not saying Eli is better than Rodgers.....but unless I'm wrong, he's the only opposing QB to win more than one playoff game in Lambeau now....and he's moving on.</P>

Who knows what*the conversation will sound like when the season is over?</P>Rodgers and Brees folded vs a tough defense.

JMFP2
01-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Don't you guys know that whenever Eli starts to get credit from people his next game becomes a stinker... I'm happy and content to just say Eli played a great game....And leave it at that.</P>

Eli had a great game v. the Falcons, and got credit for it, so I think we're safe.</P>

I'm just saying thatafter thisPackers game, the talent margin between Rodgers and Eli isn't as large as I thought before this game.</P>

NYGRealityCheck
01-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Don't you guys know that whenever Eli starts to get credit from people his next game becomes a stinker...

I'm happy and content to just say Eli played a great game....And leave it at that.

Easy to say that going against the much tougher SF 49er defense. I believe Eli will be able to top the 49ers this time. He's in his SB playoff mode.

BornLegend
This is not meant to take anything away from Rodgers.* He's an awesome QB, and has a ring, and will probably retire with more than one.</P>

Who knows what*the conversation will sound like when the season is over?</P>Rodgers and Brees folded vs a tough defense.The Packers had a lot of drops today and Brees didn't fold yesterday... Alex Smith scored a go ahead game winning drive.

miked1958

Who knows what*the conversation will sound like when the season is over?</P>
Rodgers did not play from behind much this season. Just in giants games and he was clearly not comfortable with it. Never was behind at halftime all season until today

Drez
But I think I can speak on behalf of every Giant fan, that we are very happy to have him as our quarterback. (He's a winner)</P>

</P>

Hear ye! Hear ye!</P>

JMFP2
01-16-2012, 12:27 AM
This is not meant to take anything away from Rodgers. He's an awesome QB, and has a ring, and will probably retire with more than one.</P>

Who knows whatthe conversation will sound like when the season is over?</P>

Rodgers did not play from behind much this season. Just in giants games and he was clearly not comfortable with it. Never was behind at halftime all season until today</P>

True....this was an eye-opener.</P>

I'll say this....the Giants receivers totally outplayed the Packers receivers, and that was a real surprise. I wouldn't trade the Giants receiving corp for any other team's....but I really wasn't expecting such sloppy crap from the Packers today.</P>

DragonSoul
01-16-2012, 12:28 AM

Who knows what*the conversation will sound like when the season is over?</P>Rodgers and Brees folded vs a tough defense.The Packers had a lot of drops today and Brees didn't fold yesterday... Alex Smith scored a go ahead game winning drive.What happened to the turn overs vs saints? What happened throughout most of the game? He threw a pass to graham he should have never thrown to, but got bailed out with double coverage. Similar to how Stafford throws in double and triple coverage to C.Johnson.

But thats my 2 cents.

DragonSoul
01-16-2012, 12:30 AM

Who knows what*the conversation will sound like when the season is over?</P>
Rodgers did not play from behind much this season. Just in giants games and he was clearly not comfortable with it. Never was behind at halftime all season until todayActually he was behind only 3 mins all season, and in this game 6 mins when he tied us lol. I was saying that they were blowing teams out, not a tough SOS so they didn't have to fight many games.

Then he was behind, and BOOM!

BornLegend
01-16-2012, 12:34 AM

Who knows what*the conversation will sound like when the season is over?</P>Rodgers and Brees folded vs a tough defense.The Packers had a lot of drops today and Brees didn't fold yesterday... Alex Smith scored a go ahead game winning drive.What happened to the turn overs vs saints? What happened throughout most of the game? He threw a pass to graham he should have never thrown to, but got bailed out with double coverage. Similar to how Stafford throws in double and triple coverage to C.Johnson.

But thats my 2 cents.That was early in the game when the 9ers was fired up. Brees came through in the clutch... the defense let him down.

DragonSoul
01-16-2012, 12:38 AM

But thats my 2 cents.That was early in the game when the 9ers was fired up. Brees came through in the clutch... the defense let him down.Defense did let them down, but that catch was what got NO back on top because he caught it and got by both willis and a db then ran it into the end zone. Then alex drove them for the wins.

NYDestroyer
01-16-2012, 12:49 AM
I was a Eli Hater for a long time, even the season after they won the Superbowl I give most of the credit to the D-line. However, this season Eli has shown me that he is one of the best QB in the NFL. He is Top Ten, but I can't put him Top 5 yet.

My Top Five would be:

Peyton Manning
Arron Rogers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

MikeIsaGiant
01-16-2012, 01:04 AM
I've come to the point where I don't really care what anyone calls him - Elite or not. I like him as our QB and he's one of the best QBs this organization has had

Drez
01-16-2012, 01:05 AM
I was a Eli Hater for a long time, even the season after they won the Superbowl I give most of the credit to the D-line. However, this season Eli has shown me that he is one of the best QB in the NFL. He is Top Ten, but I can't put him Top 5 yet.

My Top Five would be:

Peyton Manning
Arron Rogers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

</P>

If you can't see that Eli is significantly better than Rapistberger, then I don't know what to say.</P>

sharick88
01-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Eli is an elite QB. I am neutral on him all of the time. You have to recognize game. There are only 5 elite QB's in this league and he is definitely one of them

mcmatty1984
01-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Eli is better and start showing him the respect he deserves. He is the best QB this franchise has ever had and, he plays best when the big game is on the line. He also owns the 4th quarter. He also possesses the ability to create magic and is the best 2 minute drill QB in the NFL. So with all that, if we had to challenge a team from another galaxy for rights to planet Earth... I'm starting number 10 under center.

mcmatty1984
01-16-2012, 02:28 AM
Roethlisberger is so overrated and you are an ******* for putting that LOSER above Eli. Just put on a Steelers jersey ***!!!

BornLegend
01-16-2012, 02:28 AM
Eli is an elite QB. I am neutral on him all of the time. You have to recognize game. There are only 5 elite QB's in this league and he is definitely one of them+1

GMenNY21
01-16-2012, 02:31 AM
I'm really interested to see how well Eli plays going back to San Fran

Harooni
01-16-2012, 04:14 AM
How does it go back and forth with one game played? Isn't gb defense ranked near the bottom?

That said Eli has had a awesome season and ost season. But as far as who is elite it should not change by the week it's a overall career thing.

Garbloz
01-16-2012, 04:20 AM
my qb list of this season
brady
arod
eli
brees

no other qbs are on this level

brees doesn't play as good on the road so i put him 4.

also give me eli over the rest he is the most clutch never gets rattled

Jiants#1
01-16-2012, 04:29 AM
Eli is a winner, if that does or doesn't make him elite who really cares.
He can win big games and he can lose them too....but that goes for all QB's elite or not.
I'm just going to keep following the Gmen and watch Eli for the next 5 or 6 years and know we have a QB who is at the top of his game, one that with good supporting players , can take us to a Super Bowl.

GCGiant
01-16-2012, 05:42 AM
How does it go back and forth with one game played? Isn't gb defense ranked near the bottom?

That said Eli has had a awesome season and ost season. But as far as who is elite it should not change by the week it's a overall career thing.

What's changing by the week? Maybe in your mind, but Eli has been elite for quite some time now. Oh...wait. He wasn't voted in the top 100....sorry...my bad.

Harooni
01-16-2012, 05:50 AM

What's changing by the week? Maybe in your mind, but Eli has been elite for quite some time now. Oh...wait. He wasn't voted in the top 100....sorry...my bad.
read the title of the tread

Marvelousmik
01-16-2012, 06:16 AM
He is better than Rodgers as an all around QB. Rodgers had a great season, but he is not clutch.

lol

GCGiant
01-16-2012, 06:23 AM

I know my excuse...but why are you either up so early or up so late?

GCGiant
01-16-2012, 06:23 AM

I know my excuse...but why are you either up so early or up so late?

Harooni
01-16-2012, 06:25 AM

I know my excuse...but why are you either up so early or up so late? I fell asleep after the game around 9. haha sucks i have to be at work by 9.

ps Eli has been the MANN. congrats . great stuff

GCGiant
01-16-2012, 06:46 AM

I know my excuse...but why are you either up so early or up so late? I fell asleep after the game around 9.* haha* sucks i have to be at work by 9.

ps Eli has been the MANN. congrats . great stuff

Same here...went to bed early, woke up early. I don't know how much work I will be able to deal with today...wife washed cell over the weekend. It may not work but it sure is clean.

CONGRATS ALL ROUND TO ALL GIANT FANS EVERYWHERE!!! Could we be in for yet another ride like '07??? Wouldn't it be something to have a rematch???

I kinda thought the NFL would feel the same way...but after watching the officiating from last night's game...somebody's bubble was popped last night.

RiceFan49
01-16-2012, 07:04 AM
As an outsider, I believe Eli is an elite QB. Heck he almost mounted a comeback on us for a second scoring drive late the game.

GCGiant
01-16-2012, 07:14 AM
As an outsider, I believe Eli is an elite QB. Heck he almost mounted a comeback on us for a second scoring drive late the game.

Nice win against the Saints. Instant classic, IMO.

Tell all your friends out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2eet1bttY

RiceFan49
01-16-2012, 07:33 AM
I must have a dirty mind, cause I took those lyrics in a different direction.

GCGiant
01-16-2012, 07:55 AM
I must have a dirty mind, cause I took those lyrics in a different direction.

Not gonna touch that with a 10 foot pole...

G-Man67
01-16-2012, 08:41 AM
forget the Super Bowl, we are trying to win the elusive Elite Bowl

lttaylor56
01-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Eli is among the best Quarterbacks in the league. All disputes regarding this fact should no longer be entertained by the media.

davmac2BB
01-16-2012, 09:18 AM

1000% Agree with you and this needs to be bumped up!!!

Victorcruzwr
01-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Well Rodgers is alot younger then tom brady eli drew brees etc so he is on their level and younger

CantBlameShockeyNow
01-16-2012, 09:19 AM
The D and Hicks were what was elite...not to mention the O-line...the pack does have the 32nd ranked D...what was amazing was how the D destroyed the Pack...even with the Giants offense sleeping through the 3rd quarter.

GMENAGAIN
01-16-2012, 09:34 AM
I love our QB and couldn't care less about: (1)whether any one else considers him "elite" or not; or (2) how he compares to other QB's in the league.

Sarcasman
01-16-2012, 09:39 AM

My Top Five would be:

Peyton Manning
Arron Rogers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

LOL!

RobCarpenter
01-16-2012, 10:04 AM
<DIV id=fb-root>
<SCRIPT src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js" async="true"></SCRIPT>
</DIV>

Excerpt from NJ.com:</P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" dir=ltr>

"From And he delivered yet again, completing 21 of 33 passes for 330 yards, three touchdowns and an interception, which combined to equal a pristine quarterback rating of 114.5. He was in complete control, side-stepping incoming rushers, zipping passes in tight windows, and converting third downs without an impact run game for much of the contest in leading the Giants to another upset playoff win </P>

His 21 completions gave him 157 for his postseason career, tying him with Phil Simms for the franchise record. The Giants’ victory over the 15-1 Packers was Manning’s fourth career road playoff victory — tying an NFL record </P>

</P>

Through two games this postseason, he is 44-of-65 for 607 yards, six touchdowns and an interception. </P>

“I think it is his mentality. It is his approach,” coach Tom Coughlin said when asked why his quarterback plays so well in the playoffs. “Nobody sees what he does behind the scenes. He is a studier and a pounder.”"</P></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/01/eli_manning_anchors_giants_win.html</P>

</P>

trenken311
01-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Are we STILL talking about this. How many times does this poor guy have to prove himself? He's been awesome and completely clutch for years now!

I swear, not talking about us Giants fans, but all these part-time NFL fans that dont know what Eli has done throughout his career just need to STFU. We all have watched him for a long time now and know how great he's been consistently just about every season.

But since he flies under the radar, not being a ra-ra leader type, noone notices what he's been doing. Next year everyone will forget about him and argue that he's not a top 10 QB. Happens every single year.

Sarcasman
01-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Are we STILL talking about this. How many times does this poor guy have to prove himself? He's been awesome and completely clutch for years now!

The sad truth here is that the reason we're talking about it - again - is because some of his supporters are so insecure they keep bringing it up after every friggin' game.

trenken311
01-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Look at it this way, dont even talk about stats at all. If you're starting a new football team today, how many QBs would you really take over Eli, seeing as pretty much all he does is perform like a champ under pressure in the biggest situations?

I have to be honest here, he might just be the 1st guy I would take if I had my pick of all QBs in the entire league.

Rodgers landed himself on a team that was good before he even got there. Brady is a product of the system. Dude got hurt and Matt Cassel won 11 games with that team! But what does Eli do, not only has he beaten all these so called better QBs, a few of them in the playoffs AND the SB, but he always seems to come through, when we've seen all these other guys collapse in pressure situations.

No disrespect to those other guys, all are strong QBs, but I really think if you want to win those big games, take Eli.

Bashum_Blue
01-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Mark my words. If the 49ers win this weekend they'll be saying Alex Smith is better than Eli. The kid gets no respect no matter what he does.

trenken311
01-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Mark my words. If the 49ers win this weekend they'll be saying Alex Smith is better than Eli. The kid gets no respect no matter what he does.

There will definitely be some people that say that, especially if Smith does something amazing to win the game like he did against the Saints.

That's just how it goes in this league. 1 bad loss for the Packers and how many people are already on Rodgers back? Unreal.

NJ10
01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Eli is ablosutley in the top tier of QBs in the NFL along with Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. If Peyton come back and he is healthy he is obviously in there too. All of them are so good it's hard to say one is better than the other.

Dabluguy
01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
IMO Eli reached God Tier last night as in as good as Brady, Rogers and Brees.

gumby742
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM

My Top Five would be:

Peyton Manning
Arron Rogers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

LOL!

What's so funny?

Sarcasman
01-16-2012, 02:57 PM

My Top Five would be:

Peyton Manning
Arron Rogers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

LOL!

What's so funny?

I disagree with your 5th.

gumby742
01-16-2012, 03:14 PM

My Top Five would be:

Peyton Manning
Arron Rogers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

LOL!

What's so funny?

lol. happy to oblige (regarding your sig).

Personally, I'd agree with that posters rankings. Not because Eli didn't out play Ben this year, because he did. But we have the rest of their careers to consider as well.

Diamondring
01-16-2012, 03:19 PM
If Eli plays real good til the Superbowl and has a big hand in winning it, then he has got to be put as Elite. Not only that, we would have to look at what type of elite is he. I think that he is the type who is able to do well with receivers coming in and out and a offensive scheme that may be hard to learn. That is a big plus because not all players can grasp a difficult scheme like Kevin Gilbride.

Sarcasman
01-16-2012, 03:21 PM

My Top Five would be:

Peyton Manning
Arron Rogers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

LOL!

What's so funny?

Personally, I'd agree with that posters rankings. Not because Eli didn't out play Ben this year, because he did. But we have the rest of their careers to consider as well.

Thanks (on the sig. it's appropriate; same situation/different dude)

I see what you're saying but I honestly do not think Ben is better than Eli. He may have been earlier in their careers and he's got some t=rings, no doubt and he extends a play like not many others can...

...but, man he can also be cover your eyes bad in a Brett Favre kind of way

gumby742
01-16-2012, 03:23 PM

My Top Five would be:

Peyton Manning
Arron Rogers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

LOL!

What's so funny?

Thanks (on the sig. it's appropriate; same situation/different dude)

I see what you're saying but I honestly do not think Ben is better than Eli. He may have been earlier in their careers and he's got some t=rings, no doubt and he extends a play like not many others can...

...but, man he can also be cover your eyes bad in a Brett Favre kind of way

He is what he is. But Eli is the freaking man this year. Unbelievable.